Jimmy Johnson's half time tantrum.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Did anyone else find what he (Jimmy Johnson) was saying bizarre?

When you're talking about a team that is 7-1 and you call ONE player an idiot, before the game is over, for a mistake, it just seems like he's bitter about not being in Wade's position.

He said that the "relaxed atmosphere" didn't work or whatever and then got all huffy and puffy. It was really awkward. Did anyone else notice this?

In any case, Jimmy, we won. And we looked cool while doing it.

We don't need not stinking disciplinarian!!

:starspin:

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
It's just a different approach. It's either being afraid of making a mistake for fear of having your coach rip you a new one or it's not wanting to let your team down with a mistake.

I think Parcells went a little too far with the fear approach personally. I think it caused guys to not take chances when they presented themselves for fear of screwing up. Wade seems to have the guys wanting to play for him and not let him down. It accomplishes the same goal and it allows them to play "loose".

Both ways work. See Belichick and Dungy.

playmakers

Reaction score
I was fired up like that too after the play. It just shows hes still a Dallas Cowboy no matter what happened in the past. I think it was one of those moments that coaches wish they were coaching again, like today at halftime, but in hind sight they dont have the patience no more. For one day a play like that made Jimmy Johnson want to come back and coach again.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
If not for the Giants stupid penalties, ( holding on the kick return and holding on their one TD) it's a different game. We didn't need a taunting penalty.
It cost points. Parcells was at one end of the spectrum while Phillips is at the other. Phillips needs to start to get towards the middle. He can't let it get out of control.

superpunk

Reaction score
playmakers;1760150 said:
I was fired up like that too after the play. It just shows hes still a Dallas Cowboy no matter what happened in the past. I think it was one of those moments that coaches wish they were coaching again, like today at halftime, but in hind sight they dont have the patience no more. For one day a play like that made Jimmy Johnson want to come back and coach again.
lol, I liked seeing Jimmy fired up, too. And it's boneheaded plays like that that can end up costing you the game, and Jimmy knows that. I'd hope that Wade reamed Burnett out in a similar manner (the whole team, really) behind closed doors.

Considering the halftime transformation toward playing smart, I'd say he might have.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1760161 said:
If not for the Giants stupid penalties, ( holding on the kick return and holding on their one TD) it's a different game. We didn't need a taunting penalty.
It cost points. Parcells was at one end of the spectrum while Phillips is at the other. Phillips needs to start to get towards the middle. He can't let it get out of control.

We were among the most penalized teams last year too under Parcells. It's not the coaches in this case. It's dumb players.

Trust me. Coaching styles don't have a thing to do with it.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Monday, Nov 12, 2007
Posted on Sun, Nov. 11, 2007
Cowboys looked smart, but didn’t always play that way

By RANDY GALLOWAY
rgalloway@star-telegram.com
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.- When it was over here Sunday afternoon, the Cowboys had completed the East Coast exacta of emptying two large road stadiums on consecutive weekends long before the required 60 minutes had ticked off the clock.
As the Giants fandom discovered, same as the Eagles fandom a week ago, the Cowboys gave the paying customers nothing to see in the way of a competitive four quarters.

As the Giants team also discovered, same as the Eagles team a week ago, the Cowboys accepted a "prove it" challenge hurled their way, and did indeed provide necessary proof the NFC East is under new ownership. "How can you not believe in these Cowboys?" cornerback Terence Newman playfully chided a media gathering on his way into the visitors’ locker room after 31-20 victory.

"Our team did their talking on the field, which I was proud of," noted coach Wade Phillips in reference to a week of juicy comments coming out of Giants’ headquarters.

With an 8-1 record, the Cowboys can talk all they want, particularly to the rest of the division, and except for Green Bay, the entire NFC.

But no matter how accurate the end zone radar for the offense, or how much defensive improvement, particularly in the second half on Sunday afternoon, there were times in this game when the Cowboys were everything a winning team, and certainly a legitimate Super Bowl contending team, should never be.

Undisciplined and stupid are a couple of major no-nos for clubs with serious post-season aspirations. The Cowboys crossed over that line more than once, prompting linebacker Kevin Burnett to utter a post-game Big Bill-ism.

"Dumb players do dumb things, that what’s Coach Parcells used to say," said Burnett, one of those Cowboys guilty as charged when it came to a violation of discipline and wisdom.

Actually, Burnett’s major violation late in the second quarter prompted a coast-to-coast tirade by Jimmy Johnson on Fox-TV’s panel discussion at half time. Some old coaching fire kicked in for The Jimster. "I am not a dumb player, but I made a dumb mistake," said Burnett, who drew a taunting penalty when he and running back Brandon Jacobs exchanged words in the waning seconds of the first half.

It looked dumb, however, when the flag flew on Burnett after Jacobs was taking a knee to allow the clock to run out. The Giants then decided to take another snap, completed a long pass, and that set up a 40-yard field goal, allowing New York to tie the game, 17-17.

If Jimmy had been coaching, Burnett might not have been in uniform for the second half. The same can be said for linebacker Bradie James, who also took a stupid penalty in the first quarter that helped the Giants score their first touchdown.

Phillips, of course, is a different cat. He said nothing at halftime to any player about dumb plays. After the game, Wade freely admitted "bone-headed plays cost us some points in the first half," but his locker room objective at intermission was "making adjustments."

Added Phillips: "once it’s over, you can’t dwell on mistakes. We couldn’t harp on that."

For any of us who might consider that as soft coaching, see the second-half results. The Giants scored three points. The Cowboys took over the game on offense with two Romo-to-Eldo touchdown passes.

And this came after Keith Davis drew a major penalty for a blow to the head on the opening kickoff of the second half.

But the Cowboys then settled in. The funny business over flags ended at that point. After a penalty-infested first half, then the call on Davis to open the third quarter, it was basically a clean second half.

Phillips seemed much more subdued than normal in the victorious locker room. He said it was because he was "just letting down after a big win," but in reference to some of those first-half flags, Wade added, "we made some mistakes we aren’t going to make again, I will tell you that."

Burnett spoke highly of Phillips’ halftime kindness, saying, "coach knew no one felt worse than I did. I appreciate him for that. For me, it was a lesson learned the hard way.

"(Jacobs) popped off to me, and I should have let it go, but I didn’t. Then I couldn’t believe it when I saw the flag. To watch that first half end that way, because of me, that’s a real bad feeling."

Burnett said he already had an apology planned for Monday back at Valley Ranch. "I will apologize to my teammates for putting us in that spot."

Funny thing is, Burnett is not considered a "dumb" player. Just the opposite. The same can certainly be said for Bradie James, who got flagged for 15 yards after giving Jacobs (him again) a little first-quarter shove beyond the whistle.

"(Jacobs) told me he was gonna keep running over me and I told him he hadn’t run over me yet," said James. "It wasn’t much of a shove, but he went down in a hurry, didn’t he. I was kinda chuckling about his acting job, then I saw the flag. Oh, man, I felt real bad.

"But it’s the Giants, and they talk real brash the whole game, and they hit late, and sometimes you just think you have to get your shot in too. That’s not smart. I know that."

James saw one silver lining in the whole process.

"We took penalties early in the game, including some dumb penalties, and those flags cost us points," he said. "But we got it together in the second half, took over the game, and won despite not having played smart previously.

"I don’t know if any of our teams over the past few years could have done that. Actually, I doubt those teams would have survived today. But we were able to overcome self-inflicted problems."

Winning cures all. At least for this Sunday afternoon, the Cowboys had that cure.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw that article in here just an illustration to my point. If you want to play well for your coach, it accomplishes the same thing as being afraid of him and in some ways is better.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1760144 said:

When you're talking about a team that is 7-1 and you call ONE player an idiot, before the game is over, for a mistake, it just seems like he's bitter about not being in Wade's position.

He said that the "relaxed atmosphere" didn't work or whatever and then got all huffy and puffy. It was really awkward. Did anyone else notice this?

Personally, I found his remarks to be right on the mark regarding IDIOT Burnett. He cost his team 3 points in what was a critical and close game. There is no room on a championship team for that kind of boneheaded play.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Ozzu;1760163 said:
We were among the most penalized teams last year too under Parcells. It's not the coaches in this case. It's dumb players.

Big difference between mental mistakes, false starts and holding type penalties. Taunting is just stupid. He would have gotten an ear full while even walking to the sideline, again that cost us points.

superpunk

Reaction score
Ozzu;1760165 said:
Figured I'd throw that article in here just an illustration to my point. If you want to play well for your coach, it accomplishes the same thing as being afraid of him and in some ways is better.
It's a good article. It takes all kinds, and Wade's approach clearly worked in this case.

No reason to care all that much about HOW the head coach goes about getting things done. As Parcells said - it's a results oriented business. Wade is getting some fantastic results with his methods, the players are really responding. Those quotes from James and Burnett, they're pretty good.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
superpunk;1760173 said:
It's a good article. It takes all kinds, and Wade's approach clearly worked in this case.

No reason to care all that much about HOW the head coach goes about getting things done. As Parcells said - it's a results oriented business. Wade is getting some fantastic results with his methods, the players are really responding. Those quotes from James and Burnett, they're pretty good.

Agreed. It just feels as though the moment we see a penalty, people jump on Wade. I'm a Wade homer. :D

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Ozzu;1760165 said:

That's a good article and good points. As long as Phillips puts a stop to stupid mistakes like those yesterday. Thnx for the read.

superpunk

Reaction score
Ozzu;1760175 said:
Agreed. It just feels as though the moment we see a penalty, people jump on Wade. I'm a Wade homer. :D

I'm a Cowboys homer, and as head coach of the 8-1 Dallas Cowboys, Wade gets alot of residual homerism. :D

I feel he should have been all over Burnett's ***....but that's not how he rolls. Burnett clearly respects that. The players are showing alot of accountability to each other, which is stronger than any sense of accountability they could feel to the coaches. Burnett and James felt awful because they felt they had let their teammates down. It's a good atmosphere at the Ranch.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1760144 said:

Jimmy loves the Cowboys.
Simple as that.

He may be getting that coaching bug again.

I loved seeing him blow up like that.

I hope that Wade's easy, happy go lucky approach doesnt hurt us in a big game.

CoCo

Reaction score
Ozzu;1760163 said:

Agreed. Then we learned our lesson so well that Keith Davis came out and picked up a personal foul on the opening kickoff. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I found it a bit absurd that Dallas got singled out for taunting when there was plenty of jawing from the Giants that first half as well.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me - it simply showed Jimmy still feels like he is a Cowboy. You wouldn't see him get fired up like that calling a Packers game.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1760161 said:
Let us know when you have the evidence that it's getting out of control. This isn't the Raiders, either in record or demeanor.

We aren't getting the perfect trip this year, so deal with it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I loved it. I thought it was great. I hate the wussified, laid back, Key West, no shoes wearing, Jimmy Buffet loving, bohemian Jimmy. We got a glimpse the the old, carnal, neck vein popping, red faced, hand over-gesturing Jimmy. I wish in the fit of rage he would have told Curt Menefee that he was a two bit James Brown, and he needs to leave the studio immediately and he can take the bus back home.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
zeromaster;1760235 said:
Let us know when you have the evidence that it's getting out of control. This isn't the Raiders, either in record or demeanor.

We aren't getting the perfect trip this year, so deal with it.

Can you read or is comprehension the problem? I said he can't let it get out of control. Did NOT say it was.