Jimmy Johnson's half time tantrum.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1760412 said:
I agree, he doesn't employ that style with the frequency that Jimmy did but the question is, how do you know he doesn't do it every now and then?

Wade is great, I love how he coaches, but I think it would be foolish to say Wade doesn't get animated every now in then. You may not see it happening but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

- Mike G.

Just based on comments of former players. You don't have to rip a guy to get your point across.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sk0aL;1760421 said:
Troy Aikman once said that Jimmy told the team that the team that wins is not the team that makes the most big plays but the one that makes the least amount of big mistakes.

We gave up 10 points due to mistakes. Those 10 points are crucial in a game like yesterday's.

You mean like Letts bonehead mistake that cost us the game vs Miami when he went after the blocked FG? I did not see Jimmy ripping Lett matter of fact when he saw Lett crying in the locker room after the game he told Leon as long as I'm the coach you will be here.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1760430 said:
You mean like Letts bonehead mistake that cost us the game vs Miami when he went after the blocked FG? I did not see Jimmy ripping Lett matter of fact when he saw Lett crying in the locker room after the game he told Leon as long as I'm the coach you will be here.

I think that was one of Jimmy's talents on full display.

He knew which players he had to get animated with and when it was and wasn't appropriate.

- Mike G.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1760438 said:
I think that was one of Jimmy's talents on full display.

He knew which players he had to get animated with and when it was and wasn't appropriate.

- Mike G.

True, Jimmy would rip into some and not into others. I think he kept his team on the edge. Then again that was Jimmy style. Burnett made a mistake in the game he also made many positive plays some that do not show up in the stats. I don't doubt the coaches said something to Burnett but I don't think it was along the lines of how Jimmy would have done it.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Jimmy knows this team can do something special and doesn't want to see us beat ourselves, everyone knows Burnett's penalty was dumb.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1760449 said:
Jimmy knows this team can do something special and doesn't want to see us beat ourselves, everyone knows Burnett's penalty was dumb.

:bow: :hammer:

No doubt about it.

Like I said earlier, there was absolutely no DOUBT where Jimmy's loyalties lie. Unlike the big fake Tiki Barber, where you could see it on his face that he was glad the Giants lost.

I can't wait for the Youtube link of Jimmy going nutz. Would make a good exorcist skip if someone could make his head spin and apply some make up LOL.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1760144 said:
Did anyone else find what he (Jimmy Johnson) was saying bizarre?
Not at all, he was upset at Burnetts stupid taunting of Jacobs as I was, especially when he got flagged for it and it ended up costing the Cowboys the lead.

When you're talking about a team that is 7-1 and you call ONE player an idiot, before the game is over, for a mistake, it just seems like he's bitter about not being in Wade's position.
I don't think Jimmy is bitter at all I think he was mad because Burnett's dumb penalty right before the half cost Dallas some momentum. You know what the say, the team that scores right before the half usually wins the game, there's alot of truth to that. Jimmy's not bitter, he wants the Cowboys to win, I truly believe that and he thought at that moment, like I did, that that win was in jeopardy.

He said that the "relaxed atmosphere" didn't work or whatever and then got all huffy and puffy. It was really awkward. Did anyone else notice this?
Jimmy, Parcells and Wade have different styles. And I disagree with what Jimmy said here. Wade's style isn't a "relaxed atmosphere" totally, it's just more relaxed than Bill Parcells style, I wish Jimmy would've taken notice of that. Having said that, Jimmy had lost his temper there for a moment and when you do that sometimes you say things in a extreme way that shouldn't be said, we all have done it. Not a big deal.
In any case, Jimmy, we won. And we looked cool while doing it.
Yeah you have to give credit to the Cowboys for overcoming their mistakes but they really need to mature in the penalty phase of the game because if they don't it may cost them a big game at some point against a team that can really capitalize on their mistakes. I'm sure Jimmy is glad that Dallas won.
We don't need not stinking disciplinarian!!

:starspin:

Don't kid yourself saying that. This is still football and this game is about squashing human nature to defeat your opponent so a team always needs somebody there to not let them give in to human nature. They still need disipline in a huge way, esp. when it comes to penalties but it's obvious that they don't need the overbearing kind of disipline that Parcells inflicted on them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy Johnson was asked how he would have responded and he did so accordingly. He should be held faultless in that regard.

If blame should be levied at anyone for Burnett's bonehead play, it should directed at Burnett and Burnett alone. Anyone can tell that he gets 'it' from his various comments after the game:

Dumb players do dumb things, that what’s Coach Parcells used to say.

I am not a dumb player, but I made a dumb mistake.

Coach knew no one felt worse than I did. I appreciate him for that. For me, it was a lesson learned the hard way.

(Jacobs) popped off to me, and I should have let it go, but I didn’t. Then I couldn’t believe it when I saw the flag. To watch that first half end that way, because of me, that’s a real bad feeling.

I will apologize to my teammates for putting us in that spot.

Burnett's an intelligent young man, but his intelligence didn't stop him from making a boneheaded play yesterday. In doing so, he was labeled correctly as an idiot, but it doesn't mean that he is ALWAYS an idiot. He's a smart player, who has now learned a valuable lesson which is...

DON'T BE AN IDIOT WHO COULD COST YOUR TEAM A WIN!

Simple.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the way Wade handled it after the fact. The only problem I had with it is that it's no secret that Brandon Jacobs (and about 8 more of the Giants) are all NFL trash talkers. The team should have been warned during the week by the coaches not to participate in that nonsense. It should have never came down to a halftime scolding. Jacobs (who probably has the most lopsided bark per bite ratio of any player in the league) obviously flopped on the Bradie shove, but the way things were escalating the personal fouls were going to come eventually. There was jawing after every single play. It gets so tired and lame. Just let your play on the field do the talking. If you want to make a point, put 50 up on them.

But, having an offense that can put up 30+ points a game really is a great deodorant.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i loved that segment by jimmy it was like lou holtz giving one of his espn pep talk speeches. maybe they'll incorporate it into a segment. it was brilliant :bow:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Too many of you guys attitude on this board reflects the players...but Jimmy, like me, was livid. Why? Because we have not won a playoff game in Dallas in 10 years and these guys need to understand that you cannot let a golden opportunity like this slip away with stupidity. Burnett had tackled the guy..stopped him. Made a great play and the Giants are going to run out the clock. Then you give them all the momentum back by trying to show how macho you are. The Pats are dominating the NFL because they are all business. You can have fun and be about business. And winning is not fun enough? These little things like stupid penalties, and allowing return men to score TDs will catch up with us unless they are checked NOW! Jimmy blew his stack because he understands that we were on the road against a team that we have to a chance to take a 3 game lead on and our focus should be on winning.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbailey423;1760692 said:
Too many of you guys attitude on this board reflects the players...but Jimmy, like me, was livid. Why? Because we have not won a playoff game in Dallas in 10 years and these guys need to understand that you cannot let a golden opportunity like this slip away with stupidity. Burnett had tackled the guy..stopped him. Made a great play and the Giants are going to run out the clock. Then you give them all the momentum back by trying to show how macho you are. The Pats are dominating the NFL because they are all business. You can have fun and be about business. And winning is not fun enough? These little things like stupid penalties, and allowing return men to score TDs will catch up with us unless they are checked NOW! Jimmy blew his stack because he understands that we were on the road against a team that we have to a chance to take a 3 game lead on and our focus should be on winning.

And this team went out and stopped the Giants after halftime to only 3 points. I think the Coaches corrected any problems we may have been having.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
zeromaster;1760265 said:
That's right, when all else fails, go for the personal attack.

Very classy.

Your concern is duly noted.

My apologies. That was meant to be more of a light joke than personal attack. I don't attack on the Internet, not much point to it.:D

You did take what I said out of context though.

DandyDon

Reaction score
What is being forgotten in this thread is the fact that while our guys were being flagged for taunting, what about the play or two before Burnett's Taunting call - the one where Sam Madison was putting his helmet on TO's and taunting him all the way back up the field with the ref standing right there? No call was made. I can say the same thing about all of the non holding calls made on the Giants the entire first half. THEN in the 2nd half, the refs started calling them for it....Burnett was definately wrong for what he did - all I'm saying is that if they're gonna call that, then they need to be consistent with those calls.

QT

Reaction score
Always listen to the Great Jimmy Johnson. He is a Cowboy for life...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1760899 said:
Is there anybody who thinks that this isn't the case?

I agree. However coaching from the network studio and dealing with the players in real life are 2 different things. I was not offended by Johnson comments he talked of what he would do but Phillips is the HC he knows his players better than Jimmy knows these players. Phillips knows what makes them tick and has them playing together as a team. Again I don't fault Jimmy for doing his job on FOX but this is not his team it is Wade Phillips team and in my book he has this team playing great football. Last thing this is the Jimmy Johnson who was the HC of Gangster U (Miami U) one of the biggest trash talking teams who ever set foot on a field.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Too bad Burnett wasn't mic'd up, I would love to hear the audio of that whole exchange. Jacobs is nothing but a mouthpiece that can't back it up on the field.

landryscorner

Reaction score
DallasEast;1760486 said:
Jimmy Johnson was asked how he would have responded and he did so accordingly. He should be held faultless in that regard.

If blame should be levied at anyone for Burnett's bonehead play, it should directed at Burnett and Burnett alone. Anyone can tell that he gets 'it' from his various comments after the game:

Burnett's an intelligent young man, but his intelligence didn't stop him from making a boneheaded play yesterday. In doing so, he was labeled correctly as an idiot, but it doesn't mean that he is ALWAYS an idiot. He's a smart player, who has now learned a valuable lesson which is...

DON'T BE AN IDIOT WHO COULD COST YOUR TEAM A WIN!

Simple.

I love your response, backed it up with credible talk, and ended it with a viable reason why we need to keep a cool head in every game, especially the big ones......

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1760899 said:
Is there anybody who thinks that this isn't the case?

Did you read the original post that started this whole thread?