Jimmy Johnson's legend grows with each year

kskboys

Reaction score
I remember people arguing with me back then that we were championship level - Romo made it seem like we weren't rebuilding, but the moment we let Phillips go, the Parcells/Phillips era was on it's way out and a lot of players were either aging or being released. That O-Line from 09-13 knocked a few years off Romo's playing career.
.....as we drafted WR's and TE's and didn't even notice that the OL was done. Might be the worst GMing job I've ever seen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
....because the NFL changed. You have no idea how Jimmy would have been in the cap era and he built a pretty mediocre Dolphins team after his stint with the Cowboys.

However, what I am giving is just facts - Without Jerry, there is no Jimmy. Jimmy was satisfied with staying in college (his own words), he was having a ton of success there. He was a living legend in Miami. And many of those trades may have been Jimmy's idea, he was the coach after all, but Jerry is someone who had pull. They worked well together, their egos just didn't get along.

Jerry entered a very different league that changed greatly a few years later. You're not getting a Vikings-like deal after 1994. It was perfect timing and two people built for it coming together. We have no idea how the Cowboys would have looked with Jimmy once the players from the great train robbery started to age.

We got to see Jimmy in his prime where he started and fled - we've got to see nearly 30 years of Jerry Jones.
There’s some truth to this but what’s not often spoke about is Tex had already mentioned bringing in a coach like Jimmy when Tom was done. Which Tex was beginning to believe it was time too. Jimmy had already been mentioned by some local sportswriters.

But no doubt that’s why I was initially excited about Jerry because I wanted Jimmy. He was the hottest commodity in NCAA. His teams were intimidating playing with swagger and ran pro style offenses. We already had Irvin and Herschel with Troy on the way. Even with 1-15 we knew it was going to upswing quickly. The Herschel trade just turned the clock up faster.

But this argument that Jimmy would have only been here with Jerry isn’t totally accurate. Yes, it brought him sooner.

And who’s to say that if one of the other bids by Jerry Buss or Carter might have forced Tom out eventually bringing in Jimmy if Tex has his hand in it.

And as far as Jimmy in Miami following. He brought them back to a playoff team but Herzog wouldn’t pull the trigger on a blockbuster trade with Marino that Jimmy wanted.

Jerry deserves credit for giving Jimmy everything he needed and wanted.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry deserves credit for giving Jimmy everything he needed and wanted.

That's it in a nutshell, it's makes no sense to say the early 90's teams were great due solely to Jimmy, even I don't say that. No doubt Jerry had input, if for no other reason than what's shown in Diehardblues comment.

I just have a hard time with the opinion that Jerry had a large part in the process, from nearly everything I've read and heard Jerry gave Jimmy nearly unfettered control over personnel matters, simply because Jimmy had spent 25 years in football and had the knowledge, experience and contacts that you simply must have to be a successful NFL coach. (And no doubt also why Garrett hasn't been that successful as head coach).

I don't care how intelligent Jerry was/is, he didn't have that. Albert Einstein was no doubt a super genius, but would you want him doing brain surgery on you? Of course not, he didn't have the training and knowledge to do that. Smarts can only carry you so far...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell, it's makes no sense to say the early 90's teams were great due solely to Jimmy, even I don't say that. No doubt Jerry had input, if for no other reason than what's shown in Diehardblues comment.

I just have a hard time with the opinion that Jerry had a large part in the process, from nearly everything I've read and heard Jerry gave Jimmy nearly unfettered control over personnel matters, simply because Jimmy had spent 25 years in football and had the knowledge, experience and contacts that you simply must have to be a successful NFL coach. (And no doubt also why Garrett hasn't been that successful as head coach).

I don't care how intelligent Jerry was/is, he didn't have that. Albert Einstein was no doubt a super genius, but would you want him doing brain surgery on you? Of course not, he didn't have the training and knowledge to do that. Smarts can only carry you so far...
I think Jerry had a bigger part than he was given credit for. I’m one of Jerry’s biggest critics since he let Jimmy go but he didn’t recieve enough credit for being a great GM with Jimmy.

And because of that has fueled Jerrys ambitions to prove he’s a football guy which has handicapped our franchise ever since.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Jerry had a bigger part than he was given credit for. I’m one of Jerry’s biggest critics since he let Jimmy go but he didn’t recieve enough credit for being a great GM with Jimmy.

And because of that has fueled Jerrys ambitions to prove he’s a football guy which has handicapped our franchise ever since.

I don't think Jerry had that big a part.

If we're talking 8-10 years or so after Jimmy left, sure I'd be willing to believe that, getting a new coach, having players retire, etc. to return the team to that level can take time.

But well over 20 years and not even an NFC championship appearance, let alone a SB win. If Jerry was very good as a gm surely by now they'd have done better....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be in the ROH yesterday
The fact that Jerry has shut Jimmy out of the ROH because Jerry thought he was “disloyal” makes Jerry look really petty. Big time.

More importantly it is a clear clue why we have been inept for 23 years now- Jerry would rather have a HC that has lesser talent but is “loyal” than have a HC that can win.

I believe Jerry Jones is a good man. A man who loves his family and loves his team. He’s a great businessman. But wow does JJ have some issues!

Hey Jerry! Put the HC in the ROH that led your team out of the cellar to win back to back SBs! Every day that goes by without Jimmy Johnson in the ROH makes you look really petty.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least there's hope, luck if nothing else, who knew Brady would wind up winning 5 SBs as a 6th round pick? Who knew Emmitt would wind up the all time rushing leader at his size/speed? Who knew Drew Brees would recover so well from his shoulder injury? Sure people had their opinions/views that those things would happen, but at the time it was an uncertainty.

Cowboys are due some luck...
Ah yes...the “blind squirrel” theory for GMs, lol. Or the “even a broken clock is always right two times a day” theory! That’s basically been the hope for us for a long time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely. I'm not arguing for Jimmy. However, the fact remains that Jerry has proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that it was not him. His mistakes since then have been way too glaring and basic.

I don't care two pear pits about the Jimmy vs Jerry argument. That's a dummb argument anyway, because Jerry as a GM hired Jimmy, so even it was mostly or all Jimmy, Jerry hired him so Jerry gets credit. It is absolutely irrelevant who actually made the decisions. I have no idea why Jerry has this strange idea that he needs to be perceived as a football guru. It makes no sense at all.

Maybe they just got lucky, maybe the stars aligned, I don't know and I don't care.
What Jerry never seems to understand is that he won his championships because he had a strong partner, not a puppet. The last 23 years have shown us what Jerry is without a strong HC, but for some reason he either doesn’t get it or doesn’t want to get it.

kskboys

Reaction score

But, that just doesn't matter. Look up the GM's job description. To put a super bowl contending team on the field. Jerry did that. It does not matter one witt whether Jerry contributed in any other way, he hired Jimmy, he did his job.

And since then, he's done a horrific job.