Jimmy Johson: "Hit Me In the Head With a Hammer - the next time"

fivetwos

Reaction score
Genius isn't enough anymore. You need players. He didn't look like a genius in Miami.
Although, he was smart enough to quit when he realized this.
I dont think he really wanted Marino on his downside, but there was little he could do about it for at least a couple of reasons.

You've gotta luck into the right QB, and in Dallas it was in his lap.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Every coach should be better at coaching than the owner. Duh! The owner is still the boss and if you think you're bigger than that, you shouldn't be there. I don't get your argument other than a hard on for jimmy of hate for Jerry. Can't be hate, cause you're still here cheering like a school girl for Jerry's team.

Every GM should be better at being a GM than the owner as well. Unfortunately in Dallas that is impossible because they are both the same guy, and this fact makes him mediocre at both.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Great post. Agree 100%.

Owning a professional sports team in a large metro area is completely different than owning a family lumber company. Too many of our fans act like Jerry owns a local family lumber company and can do whatever he wants with “his team”. When an owner’s team takes the name of a community, they also take some responsibility to that community that supports it. The best owners have always recognized that.

Jerry has had no problem taking tax payer dollars from Arlington and Frisco to help build his multi-billion dollar empire. Most owners do that. But his stubborn arrogance to be “the restaurant owner who also wants to be the chef” as you eloquently put it, is where Jerry separates himself. And the last 25 years of doing things the way Jerry likes it done, speak for themselves. His arrogance and stubbornness is the #1 reason this team is one of only 3 in the entire NFC not play in at least an NFC championship game. The Cowboys, Washington and Detroit. That’s on Jerry.
I dont think that Jones' ego allows him for one single second to recognize or feel anything about fans or community.

His attitude is....his money, his risk, his team....he will do as he wishes.

Change only comes about when the fans begin to not care, and it hits him in the wallet, and the team, its value and popularity have grown exponentially in the midst of decades of failure on the field.

Jerry had a large hand in building that part of things, but his insistence on having himself and his unqualified son run football ops under the guise of a lame excuse that they would have to approve large contracts anyway, is a very lame attempt at trying to prove to the world that he could do what Johnson did.

So much failure has already happened in that regard, even if they happen to somehow win, I doubt people ever view him that way.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of people have money...even Jerry level money.

A lot less have the ability to do what Johnson did.
There aren’t that many people with Jerry money, and of the ones that have it they don’t matter if they don’t buy a team. That’s the key - Jerry wanted a team and was willing to spend the money. That’s the first step.

And also remember that all the good things Jimmy did were because Jerry was willing to hire him and give him authority.

That’s something Jerry could stand to learn from today. He hasn’t followed that model since Jimmy and It hasn’t worked out well. It was stupid for him to leave that model behind.

But in fairness, Jimmy likely wouldn’t have done as well in another situation either. It was just the right combination at the right time.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think that Jones' ego allows him for one single second to recognize or feel anything about fans or community.

His attitude is....his money, his risk, his team....he will do as he wishes.

Change only comes about when the fans begin to not care, and it hits him in the wallet, and the team, its value and popularity have grown exponentially in the midst of decades of failure on the field.

Jerry had a large hand in building that part of things, but his insistence on having himself and his unqualified son run football ops under the guise of a lame excuse that they would have to approve large contracts anyway, is a very lame attempt at trying to prove to the world that he could do what Johnson did.

So much failure has already happened in that regard, even if they happen to somehow win, I doubt people ever view him that way.
Jerry is clearly a great businessman who has had a huge monetary impact on the NFL. It’s why he’s in the HOF. But I laugh when some people talk about the NFL owners having the “risks” of business ownership. Owning the Dallas Cowboys is one the absolute lowest risk-high reward situations in capitalism. Owning an NFL franchise is not like owning a local bar or something.

Jerry always brags about the story when he bought the team, it was “losing a million dollars a day”, which is true. And he did make some outstanding financial moves. But he didn’t own a mutt. He didn’t own the Cleveland Browns or an XFL team. He owns a team that had already established itself and its brand as “America’s Team” long before Jerry bought it. Yes, he has made a ton of money with his business innovation. But he didn’t build this thing from scratch.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A lot of people have money...even Jerry level money.

A lot less have the ability to do what Johnson did.
lets stop this, Jimmy didnt ask for Jerry to find a way to purchase the DC and Hire him.. Jeryr had that plan all his own and in the very beginning the DC old ownership left the team near bankrupt and Jerry himself had to borrow ton of money, assume all risk and make the fan base who were upset he fired Landry and all old staff believe in him and accept Jimmy , Jerry took all the heat and all the risk.. he deserves a lot of credit for all the trophies, jimmy doesnt get to rob Jerry for all the hard work , money and risk he took to get the team where it was and still is..thats A FACT JERRY LEVERGED HIS OLD COMPAINES TO THE POINT OF NEARLY FILING BAKRUPSTY TO MAKE THIS WORK.

he Hired Jimmy , went to Jimmy and said this is my plan, you in? it was Jerry Dream and he had plan, they worked together to bring it to fruition..

its very known Jimmy wasn't going to stay much longer regardless of their relationship, hes A parcells type who gets bored and wants new challenge...he was going very soon would we have one more SB , maybe but the fact that Switzer got us to a NFCCG first Season and another SB second season, not sure Jimmy does much better and then leaves on his own even if the story was all rainbows and unicorns.. Jimmy was fast-tracking to his boat and retirement before the blow up..hi bags were packed

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t do much in Miami. He is a great motivator. And had no problem benching a player.
I loved Jimmy, I'm just big on loyalty and I don't think he had much of that. Works great when you have talent, not so much when you have to develop it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lets stop this, Jimmy didnt ask for Jerry to find a way to purchase the DC and Hire him.. Jeryr had that plan all his own and in the very beginning the DC old ownership left the team near bankrupt and Jerry himself had to borrow ton of money, assume all risk and make the fan base who were upset he fired Landry and all old staff believe in him and accept Jimmy , Jerry took all the heat and all the risk.. he deserves a lot of credit for all the trophies, jimmy doesnt get to rob Jerry for all the hard work , money and risk he took to get the team where it was and still is..thats A FACT JERRY LEVERGED HIS OLD COMPAINES TO THE POINT OF NEARLY FILING BAKRUPSTY TO MAKE THIS WORK.

he Hired Jimmy , went to Jimmy and said this is my plan, you in? it was Jerry Dream and he had plan, they worked together to bring it to fruition..

its very known Jimmy wasn't going to stay much longer regardless of their relationship, hes A parcells type who gets bored and wants new challenge...he was going very soon would we have one more SB , maybe but the fact that Switzer got us to a NFCCG first Season and another SB second season, not sure Jimmy does much better and then leaves on his own even if the story was all rainbows and unicorns.. Jimmy was fast-tracking to his boat and retirement before the blow up..hi bags were packed
:clap::yourock::clap::yourock:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dez Bryant worked out. Morris Claiborne did not. I can’t think of any other “dumb” players taken in the first round by Dallas in recent years so the odds are at 50/50. Was Taco considered “dumb?”

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Jimmy accomplished what he did despite his employer. He was smart enough to realize that the more Jerry tried to involve himself with football related decisions, the less likely Jimmy could maintain success. In retrospect, he was a visionary.

Bill Parcells had the same realization. All the real HC's knew that the team can't be run by some amateur GM. The less the Jones are involved with actual football related decisions, the higher their probability of success. Super Bowls or not, I guarantee that McCarthy is a one contract HC. He's here for his best chance for HOF induction. If he doesn't get one in two years, he will probably resign and quit the NFL.

You nailed it Plastic!

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Jimmy was nothing without Jerry's money.
It's so true, yet so incorrect at the same time.

Jimmy noted in his book that he was cheap with company money to a fault. If you came up to him man to man and needed a $1,000 loan, he'd give you the money out of his own wallet, but when it came to Cowboys money he was a perpetual tight wad.

It got to the point where he wouldn't even involve himself in negotiations because he was so frugal with Jerry's money.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That proves my point. Jerry let Jimmy trade Walker and went out and got Haley and Deion. But, no one wants to give the owner any credit
I dont think jerry had to approve that trade or any other. Jimmy had total control over all that.

Now Ranch let me ask you this, whos Idea do you think it was to trade walker ??

Do you think if jerry had hired any other coach, would they have traded walker?
Also part of that trade being great was jimmy not playing the guys he got in the trade, which gave him extra draft picks, or higher ones.
That was the part that surprised everyone. Do you think jerry would have done that with another coach?

Jerrys credit was for hiring Jimmy, and giving him full control, that was his part, but he wanted more than that. He got greedy.
Jerry wanted jimmy the SB wins, and to be more involved and to take credit even for things he didnt do lol, like the casillas trade.
Jimmy made that trade and jerry took credit for it with media.

And about Jimmy in miami, he did build a good defense, was stuck with a old marino,and had already achieved his goal of SB wins, so he wasnt as
driven.
Then he was only there 3 years, so who is to say what might have happened in 5-6 years time. In 3 years with dallas he did the same thing as with miami,
built a defense, and got team in playoffs, and lost. Next year was a SB win.
Jimmy quit cause his mom died and he wished he had spent more time with her, but didnt because of coaching, so he quit.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez Bryant worked out. Morris Claiborne did not. I can’t think of any other “dumb” players taken in the first round by Dallas in recent years so the odds are at 50/50. Was Taco considered “dumb?”
Yes, Taco is dumb. It was a well known fact that he has major issues learning.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Theres one point here...sure he did what he did business wise, but then tried to show up Johnson by figuring he could do his job too.

Dont act like that wasnt what ended the relationship.

Let me know when he gets there.

There are PLENTY of people in the world who have made fortunes, and good for them....

How many have lost sight that they need certain people to handle certain areas of expertise, and not figure since you did something you deem as more difficult, that you could do anyone's job effectively?

He CANT....and HASNT, and if you're impressed by Jerry's billons....great for you....I'm not.

He needs to hire someone to run football ops, and his failure to see that makes him a failure at this.

Go make another billion, and try to go to a store and buy a Super Bowl. He isnt the guy to take them there and he will never admit it.