JJ Mccarthy

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Expanding on the "truck" theory above, most of your truck QBs in the NFL have elite physical traits.

Who are your truck QBs in the NFL? Some names you might spitball out there are
  • Mahomes
  • Allen
  • Herbert
  • Lamar (who has developed into a straight-up GOOD passer btw)
  • Hurts
  • Lawrence
  • healthy Burrow

All of those dudes save Burrow are top-notch athletes. Whether it's height-weight-speed, rocket arms, squats of the gods, they've got some special physical tools.

Then look at your trailer QBs, who tend to go as far as their surrounding offenses take them. Guys like

• Cousins
  • Goff
  • Dak
  • Tua
  • Garappolo
  • Tannehill
Are all physically average or below average QBs. Most of them are very smart and polished from a technical perspective, but they do not have overwhelming tools to break defenses outside of structure.

Game breaker tools are the acid test for a stud QB vs a game manager QB IMO. If a guy is going to be smart, make good decisions, win in structure, etc, he had better do it at a superpower level like LSU Joe Burrow.

Sometimes for a bad team, like say the Lions or the Texans, you're fine with a Jared Goff type. You just want to find a QB better than Davis Mills so you can get off the mat. But for a Cowboys team hard-capped at the divisional round, looking at a Super Bowl, you don't want another on-time, station to station kind of quarterback. That's basically what Dak does, and it isn't enough.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No brainer first-round pick. Should go in the top 10.

Oddly, he's a better QB than a thrower at this point - which is opposite of what I usually like - but if he can get a little stronger on the deep ball, there's a ton there to like.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Williams, Maye and Penix will likely all be gone when we pick.

If we end up with a mediocre finish the rest of year someone like McCarthy would be a good target. He’s the perfect modern day prospect. 4.5s speed and a cannon…also only 20 so trending upwards.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No thanks. Will get overdrafted.

He’s less Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert and more Matt Ryan or Derek Carr.

he’s a trailer and a QB drafted in the 1st need to be a truck.

I agree he does have the arm talent or overall physical traits of Lawrence or Herbert.
But any team would move mountains to get a prime Matt Ryan. Pro teams unanimously think he had a great career.

But I dont think he's Ryan either, so there's that
:laugh:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Deep QB draft class

He could be the 3rd or the 7th QB taken.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I've been watching this kid again.. He's got some Brock Purdy, Tony Romo, and Jalen Hurts in him. Plus, he really likes to work. Me thinks he's better than the Sanders' kid.

He has the number one things I look for: drive, moxie, intelligence.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Expanding on the "truck" theory above, most of your truck QBs in the NFL have elite physical traits.

Who are your truck QBs in the NFL? Some names you might spitball out there are
  • Mahomes
  • Allen
  • Herbert
  • Lamar (who has developed into a straight-up GOOD passer btw)
  • Hurts
  • Lawrence
  • healthy Burrow

All of those dudes save Burrow are top-notch athletes. Whether it's height-weight-speed, rocket arms, squats of the gods, they've got some special physical tools.

Then look at your trailer QBs, who tend to go as far as their surrounding offenses take them. Guys like

• Cousins
  • Goff
  • Dak
  • Tua
  • Garappolo
  • Tannehill
Are all physically average or below average QBs. Most of them are very smart and polished from a technical perspective, but they do not have overwhelming tools to break defenses outside of structure.

Game breaker tools are the acid test for a stud QB vs a game manager QB IMO. If a guy is going to be smart, make good decisions, win in structure, etc, he had better do it at a superpower level like LSU Joe Burrow.

Sometimes for a bad team, like say the Lions or the Texans, you're fine with a Jared Goff type. You just want to find a QB better than Davis Mills so you can get off the mat. But for a Cowboys team hard-capped at the divisional round, looking at a Super Bowl, you don't want another on-time, station to station kind of quarterback. That's basically what Dak does, and it isn't enough.
Now do Tom Brady.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I've been watching this kid again.. He's got some Brock Purdy, Tony Romo, and Jalen Hurts in him. Plus, he really likes to work. Me thinks he's better than the Sanders' kid.

He has the number one things I look for: drive, moxie, intelligence.
i’m a shruder sanders fan when he’s on the field. off the field and when the whistle blows i’m not so sure about. i need to hear more of his work ethic. but the going to the bleachers to show off your bling sends the wrong message, and it’s NOT I LOVE FOOTBALL