JJ on Dak: Watch what he does, not what he says

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry can talk all he wants about "hanging around the rim" and saying "Dak can win a Super Bowl."

But the bottom line is, the actions of this front office do not reflect that there is a strong belief in any of that.

If they truly believed any of this, they would have had Dak's extension done prior to free agency. They would have supported him with signing Tyron back for peanuts, getting an RB1 and some help at DT. It could have been done easily, all of it...

But they don't believe it. They don't believe Dak is the guy anymore. They have felt this roster was good enough the past 2 years to win a SB, and they rightfully feel we didn't get there because of Dak. "We will go as far as Dak takes us," and "“Dak has done nothing to change my mind [about] any promise for the future. …We will go as far as Dak takes us. And that’s how far we went.”

There's a saying that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Well I think Jerry now believes what his eyes have been telling him, and I believe what my eyes are telling me about how this FO feels about Dak as the QB of the Cowboys.

They will continue to string things along, keeping the drama alive...will they, won't they? Keeping the talking heads talking Cowboys and the conversation about if Dak is good enough being argued back and forth on every radio and TV show.

But at the end of the day, any steps they could have taken to support their luke warm endorsements of Dak as the QB of this team have been ignored, the biggest one being getting him signed to a contract.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep
I'm waiting to see how they handle reps in otas and TC
I really feel the only reason MM wasn't kicked to the curb was they want to see if he can work some magic with Lance. He's a great QB coach. I think the conversation was had after the season finale that if Lance looks great in preseason and TC, and if Dak struggles this year at all and can't play well against some tough teams, he is going to the bench and Mike will be judged on what happens after that with Lance.

Why else would they have kept him after that mess.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yeah if you're Jerry you really have to look at it like your team underachieved last year especially with the gift of opportunity that the eagles gave them by imploding at the end of the season.
There's lots of blame to go around I put the great majority of it on the coach as the team was totally unprepared but the starting quarterback is going to assume more than his share of the blame because they always assume more than their share of the accolades when things go good so it is what it is.

If they had gone to the NFC championship game and lost by a walk-off field goal there's a good chance Jerry might have really gone all in pulled the stops out got some free agents and tried to get us over the top.

But Jerry saw what we all saw nobody on that team that could seize the opportunity and unite the men to play above their heads and win against an inferior opponent that was well prepared.

Good chance he's just cutting his losses circle in the wagons and going to retool

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I really feel the only reason MM wasn't kicked to the curb was they want to see if he can work some magic with Lance. He's a great QB coach. I think the conversation was had after the season finale that if Lance looks great in preseason and TC, and if Dak struggles this year at all and can't play well against some tough teams, he is going to the bench and Mike will be judged on what happens after that with Lance.

If MM is such a great coach, how come he hasn't been able to do anything with Dak? You can't turn poop into a diamond, and that's what MM has to work with.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Something in the recent tweet that's hardly mentioned is both parties mutually agreed not to extend his contract.
IMO, It's possible their numbers are so far apart they both agree that any negotiation now would be a waste of time. I think they would extend him today for $48-54M range. But they are not going to give a contract that resets the position at $60M and they shouldn't. Hell, that's $5M more than the highest QB contract ( Burrow at $55M) and $20M more than the average of his last deal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

That was part of it I’m sure.

The other part is they are lazy.

There is no way McCarthy and Dak are both here after Green Bay. That’s just awful management.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If MM is such a great coach, how come he hasn't been able to do anything with Dak? You can't turn poop into a diamond, and that's what MM has to work with.
I don't think he's a great HC. He is great with QBs though...he managed to make Dak an all-pro for the first time (again, it was against the worst pass defense schedule in the league) but still...if he can get that much out of a 1 read QB...can't fix the choke glitch though

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Something in the recent tweet that's hardly mentioned is both parties mutually agreed not to extend his contract.
IMO, It's possible their numbers are so far apart they both agree that any negotiation now would be a waste of time. I think they would extend him today for $48-54M range. But they are not going to give a contract that resets the position at $60M and they shouldn't. Hell, that's $5M more than the highest QB contract ( Burrow at $55M) and $20M more than the average of his last deal.
They are mutually agreeing because the Jones no longer believe Dak can get it done. If they did, they would have made an offer he wouldn't walk away from.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah if you're Jerry you really have to look at it like your team underachieved last year especially with the gift of opportunity that the eagles gave them by imploding at the end of the season.
There's lots of blame to go around I put the great majority of it on the coach as the team was totally unprepared but the starting quarterback is going to assume more than his share of the blame because they always assume more than their share of the accolades when things go good so it is what it is.

If they had gone to the NFC championship game and lost by a walk-off field goal there's a good chance Jerry might have really gone all in pulled the stops out got some free agents and tried to get us over the top.

But Jerry saw what we all saw nobody on that team that could seize the opportunity and unite the men to play above their heads and win against an inferior opponent that was well prepared.

Good chance he's just cutting his losses circle in the wagons and going to retool
+1 .......No excuse for the GB game

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak has improved mightily under McCarthy.

The problem with Dak is the coaches can do every single thing for him.

When Dallas has a lead and he’s running our system he’s a great QB.

If we get behind in games and he has to throw the ball all over the place and be aggressive then he gets exposed quickly.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That was part of it I’m sure.

The other part is they are lazy.

There is no way McCarthy and Dak are both here after Green Bay. That’s just awful management.
Yeah whoever is going to be here you need them to be better prepared than that to lead men when you have an opportunity in front of you of that magnitude.

You can throw CD lamb in there with his body language and pouting he's no Michael Irvin or Drew Pearson but he thinks he's worth a king's Ransom.
Tremendous talent wasted because of a horrible culture lack of leadership and terrible preparation

Blackrain

Reaction score
+1 .......No excuse for the GB game
That Green Bay game was like having a knock down drag out battle with your wife and saying things that you can never take back.

You may go on and stay married but things are never the same and I think Jerry may have been scorned just one time too many and now he's become a little vindictive

Depending on where Jerry puts the blame he has the ability to drastically affect McCarthy's career and Daks.

The thing is Jerry has so much money he can afford to be as vindictive and vengeful as he wants and destroy both of their careers while doing nothing more than guaranteeing himself a great draft pick to replace them

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they had no choice after we won the division. Cause it's difficult to fire your head coach when that happens L. O. L.
I still believe in the Detroit game we were one sack in the end zone from losing. That would have cost McCarthy his job and Quinn would be our head coach, at least at this point.
Didn't they hire a QB coach to work with Lance? It killed Jerry to let Quinn walk, I don't see us starting out well and MM will be canned at the earliest point possible.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Jerry can talk all he wants about "hanging around the rim" and saying "Dak can win a Super Bowl."

But the bottom line is, the actions of this front office do not reflect that there is a strong belief in any of that.

If they truly believed any of this, they would have had Dak's extension done prior to free agency. They would have supported him with signing Tyron back for peanuts, getting an RB1 and some help at DT. It could have been done easily, all of it...

But they don't believe it. They don't believe Dak is the guy anymore. They have felt this roster was good enough the past 2 years to win a SB, and they rightfully feel we didn't get there because of Dak. "We will go as far as Dak takes us," and "“Dak has done nothing to change my mind [about] any promise for the future. …We will go as far as Dak takes us. And that’s how far we went.”

There's a saying that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Well I think Jerry now believes what his eyes have been telling him, and I believe what my eyes are telling me about how this FO feels about Dak as the QB of the Cowboys.

They will continue to string things along, keeping the drama alive...will they, won't they? Keeping the talking heads talking Cowboys and the conversation about if Dak is good enough being argued back and forth on every radio and TV show.

But at the end of the day, any steps they could have taken to support their luke warm endorsements of Dak as the QB of this team have been ignored, the biggest one being getting him signed to a contract.
I was done with Dak after year 4 and he wanted a mega deal. I would have given him a deal that he deserved and earned, like a top 15 avg salary. That's what he is. Dallas should have traded him a long time ago or cut him. Either way the amount of money strapped to this JAG is mind-blowing. Poor roster and position mgt.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will believe Jerry Jones has done a complete 180, from 30 years of Jerry being Jerry as far as his opinion of franchise quarterbacks, the day he lets Dak Prescott walk. He can help me more quickly accept his change of mind by proactively drafting a quarterback in the first round 28 days from today.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

No I think this time there's more resistance from inside the organization, half want him to stay, half feel he's been here too long and nothing has change

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I will believe Jerry Jones has done a complete 180, from 30 years of Jerry being Jerry as far as his opinion of franchise quarterbacks, the day he lets Dak Prescott walk. He can help me more quickly accept his change of mind by proactively drafting a quarterback in the first round 28 days from today.
you're on to something big here big fella, keep up the good work. I want to believe all that's going on, but I feel like Jerry is just pulling out legs for some reason and will cave in, maybe maybe not

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
I think they had no choice after we won the division. Cause it's difficult to fire your head coach when that happens L. O. L.
I still believe in the Detroit game we were one sack in the end zone from losing. That would have cost McCarthy his job and Quinn would be our head coach, at least at this point.
Didn't they hire a QB coach to work with Lance? It killed Jerry to let Quinn walk, I don't see us starting out well and MM will be canned at the earliest point possible.
Marty Schottenheimer says hello