Recommended JJT: Oral History of how Tony Romo became Dallas Cowboys QB

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regardless of the current QB stuff, this was a good read. Kudos to JJT for writing it.
--------------------------------

Ten years ago this week, Tony Romo was in Dak Prescott's position. He was the young quarterback Dallas Cowboys fans clamored to see on the field. He was the heir apparent, the dude who represented hope for a franchise desperate for a quarterback.

Romo was an unlikely star of America's Team.

He had no FBS scholarship offers out of high school in Burlington, Wisconsin. After winning the Walter Payton Award as the FCS' best player as a senior at Eastern Illinois, he received a late invite to the NFL combine, then went undrafted. He spent 3 1/2 seasons as the backup to a second-round bust, two former minor league baseball players and two has-been No. 1 picks.

Then Bill Parcells gave him an opportunity -- and Romo promptly threw an interception.

These days, Romo owns every notable passing record for a franchise with an illustrious quarterback history. He's 78-49 as starter -- though only 2-4 in the playoffs -- and has passed for more than 34,000 yards with 247 touchdowns against 117 interceptions. Only two quarterbacks in NFL history have a higher passer rating than his 97.1.

As Romo confronts the possible end of his tenure in Dallas, we're reflecting on his improbable NFL journey. From undrafted free agent in 2003 to his move up the depth chart to the moment Parcells turned the team over to him on Monday Night Football on Oct. 23, 2006 -- 10 years ago this week -- teammates and coaches who watched Romo's ascent up close discuss what they saw in the quarterback and what landed him the job.

Read the rest: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...mo-dallas-cowboys-became-starting-quarterback

Last edited:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
This team did not have a long term established star at QB in place therefore this isn't exactly the same situation, also bledsoe was not injured.

adamknite

Reaction score
Didn't Romo actually get into a game (Houston) before that night and immediately throw a touchdown? Couldn't you call that Parcells giving him a chance, even in mop up duty? I mean, I know that wasn't when he "took over" but... until the next week when he got the start against the Panthers? he hadn't really taken over for Bledsoe either... he just came in for him the second half of the Giants? game.

HanD

Reaction score
it was a fun read. i like hearing what players from the locker room thought. it'll be fun to read some of this stuff in a decade about dak and his situation with romo also.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team did not have a long term established star at QB in place therefore this isn't exactly the same situation, also bledsoe was not injured.
Didn't Romo actually get into a game (Houston) before that night and immediately throw a touchdown? Couldn't you call that Parcells giving him a chance, even in mop up duty? I mean, I know that wasn't when he "took over" but... until the next week when he got the start against the Panthers? he hadn't really taken over for Bledsoe either... he just came in for him the second half of the Giants? game.
Did y'all read the story before posting? lol I say that, because the timeline of it all is in there.

slick325

Reaction score
Thanks for posting WG. Good piece by JJT.

Most telling were the brief comments by Quincy Carter and Drew Bledsoe. Clearly the emotions are still raw for each of them when it comes to their departure from Dallas and Romo's ascension.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Great read! Thanks for posting.

I'm sure Tony would quote Twain concerning news of his impending demise...

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." -- Mark Twain

I believe he will return this season and, if he stays healthy, will be the starting QB in 2017.

adamknite

Reaction score
Did y'all read the story before posting? lol I say that, because the timeline of it all is in there.

Ahh I see, thank you... however:

Point still remains... the first part of that article makes it sound like the first thing he did in the NFL was throw a pick.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

I did WG, my point is that in the very first paragraph JJT tried making the correlation that this is the same and it's not.

BTW thank you for posting this.. Love this guy Romo, he is a guy I wish had more respect then he gets. I truly think the fans and the media did this guy a huge disservice with the tone they set about him.

StarGazer1

Reaction score
I remember when JJT was riding Quincy Carter's jock so hard it was pathetic.

Parcells gets way too much credit with Romo and everyone knew he wanted his boy Drew in there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He actually was perfect in his first action against the Texans. Threw a TD bomb to Sam Hurd with his first pass IIRC.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So many Tony Romo eulogies right now, you'd think the guy just died.

I hear they're doing A Football Life episode on his career, set to air right after the Eeagles game.
Lol. Well Oct. 25 was the 10 year anniversary of Romo being the starter. There were articles about it, but I didn't think people were interested, so I didn't post.

TINGS21

Reaction score
Quincy Carter, Cowboys quarterback, 2001-04: "To be honest with you, I thought he was gonna get cut. He was terrible. He couldn't even get the snap. He was horrible; he was absolutely horrible. He did bring breakfast sandwiches on time on Fridays, but he was terrible on the field."

Darren Woodson, Cowboys safety 1992-2004: "I didn't know who Romo was until training camp. I'm watching him throw balls against us in training camp, and his ball was better than Quincy Carter's, for sure. He was the most accurate of the bunch, and to me, he was the most athletic. He was more athletic than Quincy."

Hmmm...One of these two must have been smoking something during training camp.