Recommended JJT: Oral History of how Tony Romo became Dallas Cowboys QB

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJT is low-functioning, but that was a fantastic read. Maybe because it's mostly quotes. "He told me to have a glass of milk and a nap on the couch," lol.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I remember when JJT was riding Quincy Carter's jock so hard it was pathetic.

Parcells gets way too much credit with Romo and everyone knew he wanted his boy Drew in there.

He didn't even want henson on the roster. That was all jerry.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The quotes told the story; Stoerner's were very interesting and mature. I love how the freeze pane worked between the pictures and text too. That was fun.

erod

Reaction score
Now, imagine if Tony could finish this year, maybe play next year, and impart this same approach and knowledge to Dak Prescott.

I know he'd be willing to do it, and Dak would be a sponge.

Greatness.

Luther

I am who they thought I was!
Reaction score
Excellent article.

(didn't know JJT had it in him)

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Interesting that a lot of people want to pretend Tony isn't and wasn't a leader, then you read all of the quotes about just that: "It was just interesting how everybody followed him. He showed up in the huddle and nobody knew who the heck he was, but he had this demeanor about him." Also liked the ski mask quote. LOL!

erod

Reaction score
Incredible article. Let the people tell the story. Brilliantly executed by JJT.

It is notable that in 2016, you can write GD with no problem, but you can't write the s-word.

vlad

Reaction score
I've ripped on JJT my fair share - but man that was awesome. Kudos - I wish they'd write interesting things like that all the time

Plankton

Reaction score
Larry Lacewell, Cowboys scouting director, 1992-2004: "I did not look at Tony in college until the day before the draft because he was a nobody."

It's sad, but it explains a lot about how things were between Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells.

Plankton

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: "Jerry and I, truth be known, would've pushed to have him in there sooner, but we kind of had our deal with Bill on how things would work."

This is a total lie, and complete revisionist history on the part of the Jones'. Here's the reaction from Jones after this took place:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2639551

...What happened with Bledsoe were turnovers, far too many for coach Bill Parcells to tolerate. So he switched to the unproven Romo at halftime against the Giants, then announced Wednesday that Romo would keep the job when Dallas (3-3) plays at Carolina on Sunday night.

Jones hinted Tuesday he wanted to stick with the veteran. He explained Thursday that he actually was clinging to his preseason belief that Bledsoe would lead Dallas to the playoffs.

"I'm disappointed at the reason we're having to make this change," Jones said.

The QB switch has forced Jones to lower his expectations for this season. He's no longer convinced this team could be "special," the code word he and Parcells used this summer instead of saying they expected a deep playoff run.

"I have to be a realist," Jones said. "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. It just hasn't worked out. That to me is a step back."

Plankton

Reaction score
He actually was perfect in his first action against the Texans. Threw a TD bomb to Sam Hurd with his first pass IIRC.

His first TD was a short pass to TO.

The longer TD to Hurd was during garbage time of the Giant loss the next week.

cowboyz

Reaction score
interesting how drew bledsoe didn't want to comment in that article, yet he's been talking about it to others.

wonder what the difference is

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Amazing that this thread is only 2 pages.....

Although I shouldn't be surprised by it.:cool:

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I will never forget training camp here in San Antonio, at Burbank High School, Peyton was working with the QB's and they kept screwing up. He got so pissed off he stormed off to Parcells and told him to give Romo all the snaps and make him the starter.

BTW in those days, JJT would sit under the stands to avoid the sun and heat. He would then write articles about the practices, and I wondered where he got his information, he never saw a single play......

MrMom

Reaction score
Funny seeing Quincy's comments followed by Woodson's.

Quincy Carter, Cowboys quarterback, 2001-04: "To be honest with you, I thought he was gonna get cut. He was terrible. He couldn't even get the snap. He was horrible; he was absolutely horrible. He did bring breakfast sandwiches on time on Fridays, but he was terrible on the field."

Darren Woodson, Cowboys safety 1992-2004: "I didn't know who Romo was until training camp. I'm watching him throw balls against us in training camp, and his ball was better than Quincy Carter's, for sure. He was the most accurate of the bunch, and to me, he was the most athletic. He was more athletic than Quincy."

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Quincy Carter comes across as bitter in that article.

Interesting read to be sure.