Recap: JJT Whispers From The Star 6/05

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I brought up your original comments for you to review what you did say.

Now in my reply to you I started with a QB and didn't name what QB. I later did mention Prescott as an example in what I was saying just like you used Montana and Brady as examples in what you were saying. You said, not JJT, that a leader has to be able to bring teams back when down and all I did was show that a QB can still be a leader if his team mates say he's their leader and because he didn't always bring the team back to win because things out of his control like dropped passes or fumbles and that the same QB is cool and calm in the huddle and tells his team they can win this game. All I did was say that your idea of a leader is based on things out of a QB's control. I only gave you credit for what you said not what JJT said.

No. My idea of a leader did not suggest at all that in order for him to be considered such that it was based on things out of a QB's control. There are plenty of things out of control on the football field of an individual because it is a team game. That is why I clearly said "all things being equal or comparable because it is a team game" which was a reference to the notion that if everyone plays their part, then that is a what a leader must be able to do. If it is on the alleged leader failing to do his job in such situations, then he fails to live up to that title. IMO, this was an unfounded criticism of people who held or continue to hold a negative opinion of Romo, even though he brought the team back in the fourth quarter many times. He just rarely had the opportunity to do it in big game or playoff situations because outside of a few years he didn't have the talent or the coaching infrastructure to compensate. It's the difference between a QB who throws a perfect ball to a Patrick Crayton in the end zone only to have him hesitate for no reason at all instead of running his route and being seen as the one who was clutch or the one "missed" a wide-open Crayton.

MikeB80

Reaction score
People are still clinging to this Romo was not a leader to prop up Dak's leadership skills. Its 2020. Romo retired 4 seasons ago. Shouldn't Dak be able to stand on his 4 seasons of work for better or worse now and not some arbitrary...he's a leader stuff. He never really speaks like this big leader everyone makes him out to be after games.

He seems pretty generic and boring after games just like like Garrett. People hate garrett but love Dak and that always confuses me because Dak was perfect for Garrett, both generic, boring and just ok at their positions.

After the eagles loss I didn't see anything that resembles this amazing leader everyone on the internet harps on. He played awful then was generic after the game and talked about the next game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No. My idea of a leader did not suggest at all that in order for him to be considered such that it was based on things out of a QB's control. There are plenty of things out of control on the football field of an individual because it is a team game. That is why I clearly said "all things being equal or comparable because it is a team game" which was a reference to the notion that if everyone plays their part, then that is a what a leader must be able to do. If it is on the alleged leader failing to do his job in such situations, then he fails to live up to that title. IMO, this was an unfounded criticism of people who held or continue to hold a negative opinion of Romo, even though he brought the team back in the fourth quarter many times. He just rarely had the opportunity to do it in big game or playoff situations because outside of a few years he didn't have the talent or the coaching infrastructure to compensate. It's the difference between a QB who throws a perfect ball to a Patrick Crayton in the end zone only to have him hesitate for no reason at all instead of running his route and being seen as the one who was clutch or the one "missed" a wide-open Crayton.

How can you continue saying that when I'll quote you again "To be able to lead a team back when it is down. Something that a Joe Montana or even Tom "Cheatriot" Brady did a number of times". You say a QB has to be able to lead a team back when down like Montana and Brady and then say it's a team sport. You can't have both ways. You're another one that but the entire blame of the eagles game on Prescott but lets look at some facts. The defense allowed over 300 passing yards, 118 rushing yards, allowed 44% 3rd down conversions, had zero 3 and outs, the special teams allowed the eagles to return a punt to the Cowboys 39 yard line. Now on offense Gallup had 2 drops, Cobb had 1 drop and Cooper had 2 drops and Witten had a drop. Out of those 6 drops, 4 were on 3rd downs. Elliott had only 47 rushing yards and Prescott played with an injured throwing shoulder but still threw for 268 yards with no picks.

Two last things about Prescott. first his offensive team mates all think he is their leader and have said he's calm in the huddle and always say we can beat these guys. Second, your summation that he's generic is proven to be a crock by the fact that going into the off season Prescott was rated the #1 free agent in the entire league. Just generic or average players aren't rated as the #1 free agent in the entire league. Oh there is one more thing and that is after games Prescott has taken the blame for most things even when his team mates later said that wasn't all his fault that other players didn't play well. As the leader he was falling on the sword for his team mates and that's probably one of the reasons his team mates say he's their leader.

I seriously doubt whether any of the Cowboy players care if you think Prescott is generic and not a leader.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Neither was Aikman then. If Dak is scrutinized for everything negative in his game, same applies to Aikman who fans say had no flaws.

I don't understand this reference. What does Akiman have to do with the Prescott situation?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know, Aikman had ZERO flaws. Career 61.5% completions. 165 TD's-141 INT's.
:laugh::facepalm::facepalm:

And 3 Super Bowls. Aikman was not flawless and I've never really seen a lot of fans make that claim but he was very, very good.

As good as we all think Mahomes is, he's basically a similar QB to Brett Farve IMO. Aikman had a lot of success against Farve, as great as he was. There is something to be said about what Aikman was able to do IMO.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
How can you continue saying that when I'll quote you again "To be able to lead a team back when it is down. Something that a Joe Montana or even Tom "Cheatriot" Brady did a number of times". You say a QB has to be able to lead a team back when down like Montana and Brady and then say it's a team sport. You can't have both ways. You're another one that but the entire blame of the eagles game on Prescott but lets look at some facts. The defense allowed over 300 passing yards, 118 rushing yards, allowed 44% 3rd down conversions, had zero 3 and outs, the special teams allowed the eagles to return a punt to the Cowboys 39 yard line. Now on offense Gallup had 2 drops, Cobb had 1 drop and Cooper had 2 drops and Witten had a drop. Out of those 6 drops, 4 were on 3rd downs. Elliott had only 47 rushing yards and Prescott played with an injured throwing shoulder but still threw for 268 yards with no picks.

Two last things about Prescott. first his offensive team mates all think he is their leader and have said he's calm in the huddle and always say we can beat these guys. Second, your summation that he's generic is proven to be a crock by the fact that going into the off season Prescott was rated the #1 free agent in the entire league. Just generic or average players aren't rated as the #1 free agent in the entire league. Oh there is one more thing and that is after games Prescott has taken the blame for most things even when his team mates later said that wasn't all his fault that other players didn't play well. As the leader he was falling on the sword for his team mates and that's probably one of the reasons his team mates say he's their leader.

I seriously doubt whether any of the Cowboy players care if you think Prescott is generic and not a leader.
Dude, do you know what the term straw-man means? If not, then look it up. You're claiming that my particular emphasis on overcoming adversity is 1) all on the QB which was never presumed, and 2) is the only thing that defines a leader when the previous statement about a QB instilling confidence in others to make them believe that he can lead them down the field and win, doesn't make it true. That a QB has led a team to overcome adversity makes it pretty much indisputable that he can be classified as a leader, especially if done multiple times, and in higher competition scenarios. Stop projecting your own interpretation on something that doesn't exist. I never even gave an opinion one way or another on whether Dak was considered a leader. I merely stated that JJT's example of his leadership qualities was lacking. You simply interpreted that as some slight against Dak which has led you to defend him against things I never implied.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dude, do you know what the term straw-man means? If not, then look it up. You're claiming that my particular emphasis on overcoming adversity is 1) all on the QB which was never presumed, and 2) is the only thing that defines a leader when the previous statement about a QB instilling confidence in others to make them believe that he can lead them down the field and win, doesn't make it true. That a QB has led a team to overcome adversity makes it pretty much indisputable that he can be classified as a leader, especially if done multiple times, and in higher competition scenarios. Stop projecting your own interpretation on something that doesn't exist. I never even gave an opinion one way or another on whether Dak was considered a leader. I merely stated that JJT's example of his leadership qualities was lacking. You simply interpreted that as some slight against Dak which has led you to defend him against things I never implied.

We are getting nowhere mostly because you change what you say you've said every time. We'll just end by saying you have your opinions and i have mine.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I read JJT and it often does come off as an opinion piece to me.

It is what it is I suppose.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
We are getting nowhere mostly because you change what you say you've said every time. We'll just end by saying you have your opinions and i have mine.
No I don't change what I say every time. It's pretty clear from my very first post what I claimed. And it's clear that you interpreted it as a slight against Dak which led you on an unnecessary straw-men that led to this point.

dogberry

Reaction score
Nicely done way of finessing around the Zone prohibition on pr*t*st comments in point one.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No I don't change what I say every time. It's pretty clear from my very first post what I claimed. And it's clear that you interpreted it as a slight against Dak which led you on an unnecessary straw-men that led to this point.

Blah blah blah blah. Don't reply you're wasting both of our's time.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't understand this reference. What does Akiman have to do with the Prescott situation?

Aikman had zero flaws according to majority of Dak haters. Reason I bring up his stats (61.5% career completions and 141 int's compared to 165 td's). All I hear over and over is Aikman was the definition of accuracy.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
And 3 Super Bowls. Aikman was not flawless and I've never really seen a lot of fans make that claim but he was very, very good.

As good as we all think Mahomes is, he's basically a similar QB to Brett Farve IMO. Aikman had a lot of success against Farve, as great as he was. There is something to be said about what Aikman was able to do IMO.

So is Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Aikman had zero flaws according to majority of Dak haters. Reason I bring up his stats (61.5% career completions and 141 int's compared to 165 td's). All I hear over and over is Aikman was the definition of accuracy.

He was very accurate. The people who are telling you that are telling you the truth. The game was different then. The Offense was different, a lot of reasons why interceptions were more present in the NFL, at that time. He was not flawless but he was very good, very talented. You can't just look at stats and decide that a player was good or bad. The game has changed way too much for that. The game is now heavily weighted towards offense. That's why you see such inflated numbers in todays game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Illegal contact didn't exist then...Aikman is one of the 2-3 best pure passers to ever play the game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Illegal contact didn't exist then...Aikman is one of the 2-3 best pure passers to ever play the game.

I like Aikman.

But his skills really started going down after 96.

That 98 loss the Cards is a perfect example.

22-49 for 191 yards. 3 INT. 37 rating.

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
I think people forget that, like a lot of celebs, the public persona of Dak i.e. the cultivated image in adverts, public appearances etc is manufactured.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Well, I thought Aikman was overrated as well. Lol.

He was also very good. Better than Dak, at this point. But I don’t think Troy was ever an elite QB.

But he also won 3 Super Bowls and won a ton of playoff games. Will Dak? I hope so. But he hasn’t yet. So why should he be paid as so?

because that’s not how contracts work.

aikemirv

Reaction score
First off if Aikman was as accurate as you think then he would have a much higher completion percentage that what he had.. Also Aikman had a better surrounding team than Prescott. Next team records are not just the result of just the QB but the entire team. That's why they are called team records.. Prescott's numbers have improved every year, but again it's a TEAM game. Lets not forget that last season the Cowboys receiving corp led the league in drops. Last season the defense played a huge part in the Cowboys success or lack of success. The Cowboys were towards the bottom of the league in 3 and outs which meant that the Cowboys always had long fields to get TD's when they finally got the ball, was 31st in takeaways, special teams was bad all season allowing returns well above league averages. Lastly an average or a player sliding in skills isn't the #1 rated free agent going into this season's free agency which is what Prescott was. It's time for you and others to stop placing the entire blame for last season's TEAM record on Prescott and realize that it is a team record with team blame.
He was more accurate than you think. You are being absurd. There were times in practice where the ball never hit the ground. See, Aikman would actually throw the ball away, not take a 2 yard sack because he did not want an incompletion!