Recap: JJT Whispers From The Star 6/05

MikeB80

Reaction score
He was more accurate than you think. You are being absurd. There were times in practice where the ball never hit the ground. See, Aikman would actually throw the ball away, not take a 2 yard sack because he did not want an incompletion!

I don't remember aikman throwing the ball away at all. I remember aikman being one of the most fearless quarterbacks I have ever watched...the guy would stand there and get killed for a play or a chance at a play to help the team win. He took an immense beating in his first three seasons and paid the price for it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
if Dak is such a great leader, why did Michael Bennett have to go off in the locker room after being with the team for a such a short time?

Because the defense quit on their coaches. It was pretty much plain as day to see

conner01

Reaction score
Not sure if @ClappingCarrot is available today and I love these threads so I thought I’d give it a go for y’all who look out for it. Here we go:

1. Dak, in JJT’s opinion, has put out the most powerful statement on the current events. JJT asked around the star to see how they felt about it. They all said “it speaks to Daks ability to be a leader. When he finally had something to say, it was as powerful as anyone else’s.” The power and specificity was highlighted. Regardless of what the public thinks, his teammates ride or die for Prescott because of his leadership. He brings everyone together regardless of cultural differences. JJT goes on to say that even though Dak is not yet a better player than Romo, he’s a much better leader.

In addition to the statement, sources identified Dak’s propensity to deflect praise to others while accepting criticism for himself. Seems like regardless of what you think of him as a player, there’s a unanimous adoration for Prescott in the locker room. JJT pointed at New Orleans and how Brees will have his work cut out for him to secure the locker room; Dak will have no such issues. Not new info for most of us, but some here still have questions for some reason.

2. Mike McCarthy and his return to coaching in the facility. JJT wants to offer a disclaimer, Mike hasn’t lost yet so all the reviews coming from those sources in the building are glowing, but here's why they are impressed. The biggest thing his sources have noticed that they love how McCarthy hasn’t bent at all for the Joneses. He tells them what he wants and they do everything they can to get it for him. He’s brought an authority and clear power structure to the Star. JJT adds (paraphrasing), if you aren’t just happy to have the job and are willing to work and demand standards are met, the Joneses are willing to give you all the support you need to be successful. Sounds like the opposite of Garrett.

An insistence on BPA (Ceedee mentioned here) and Fassel as ST coordinator amongst other hires are specifics JJT mentioned. Sources added that McCarthy doesn’t overthink things and trusts his football people and his knowledge. He takes the time to make sure his players are taken care of and doesn’t like physical practices throughout the year. He prefers keeping guys ready to go for Sundays physically while stressing mental prep during the week. JJT mentioned Garrett’s propensity to pound it with physical practices mid-week and how that might have been detrimental. Source added “he seems committed to a well-balanced plan of getting the work in without killing the players.” Haven’t lost yet so hard to say with finality, but first impression in the building is great so far.

3. JJT dug some on Amari Cooper and where he lines up during the season. Coop is a beast in the slot (numbers REALLY support this despite his lack of snaps there). Only ran 74 snaps from the slot, one of the lowest for starting WR’s. But only Michael Thomas averaged more yards per route and Coop was top 8 in ‘15 & ‘17 from the slot as well. JJT thinks Coop will have plenty of opportunities to make plays from the slot. His quickness and size give him an advantage in the slot. When JJT asked the source about why Coop didn’t play more in the slot, source replied “We had Randall Cobb so we didn’t really need to shift him inside.” (Talk about predictable lol). Scout also added that won’t be the case this year as Amari’s foot quickness, strength, size, and release ability make him virtually unguardable in there. Outside WR’s are limited by the boundaries and face the best corners, JJT seems to think Coop as the primary slot option is perfect, as the Hopkins mold Ceedee Lamb has the optimal traits for an outside WR. Doesn’t mean he won’t get snaps inside, but keep an eye on Coop as the main recipient on slot opportunities. Our slot WR’s period are “going to eat this year”.

4. Randy Gregory update. JJT speculated that the reason his is taking a bit more time is because the league wants to see if a player is in a position to succeed in their after care program before they reinstate. Randy especially has failed many more tests than Aldon did for example. So his look into after care programs is requiring more scrutiny than Aldon’s who has a pretty well-connected network of after care support. Since Randy’s use has been documented as medicinal and he’s never been in trouble with the law, he should be fine.

JJT also adds that some questions popped up a little while ago about Randy’s desire to play ball. After his most recent suspension, JJT hears that his love for the game waned a bit. Though it’s somewhat understandable due to the constant cycle of suspensions he’s been in, people around him wondered if he had that same love for the game. While he’s always been verbal about his desire to play, his actions had to match that. Recently though, he’s been doing what he needs to do to get back in and people around him seem at ease with those concerns. Source feels like he’s doing everything he needs to do physically and mentally to get back in the league, but his delay with the league may have something to do with him taking his foot off the gas for a bit as well as the looks into the after-care program Randy is in.

Enjoy!
Thank you
I can’t take listening to him so thanks for the recap

dfense

Reaction score
Better at what? Clutch in 4th quarters? No. Aikman had Emmitt to lean on. Where was Zeke in our losses last year? Emmitt didn't quit like Zeke did against stacked boxes. Zeke refused as always to use his speed on the outside. He is stubborn and keeps running up the middle. Emmitt was smart to follow his fullback and blockers. And we know playoff success is team success. Dak wasn't the reason for the playoff losses. Coaching, defense were.
There's a lot of wrongs there. 1. Teams didn't stack the line against Emmitt because Aikman was a precision passer and would eat those fronts up. 2. Zeke hasn't been fast enough to get the the edge in two years. Refuses to use it? lol. 3. Usually the running back goes where the play dictates. This isn't backyard football. 4. They don't even utilize a FB.

Maybe Dak wasn't the reason for a lot of their losses, but he wasn't the reason they won either. He needs to be this year if he wants the $.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am not the biggest Gregory fan but I can understand why he wouldn't be as fired up about football since Goodell has had his thumb on him since he came into the league. What motivation could he possibly have?

Let the man smoke pot in his spare time and play football for me on the weekends.
I am still scratching my head about the teams willingness to draft Gregory but not Watt. Watt was Gregory on steroids. (Not literally). They have given Gregory every chance, but rejected Watt who was a model citizen. I guess this just reinforces how bad Marinelli blew it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He was more accurate than you think. You are being absurd. There were times in practice where the ball never hit the ground. See, Aikman would actually throw the ball away, not take a 2 yard sack because he did not want an incompletion!

Hey I just go by what his actual completion percentages were and some years it wasn't that hot, not to mention that 9 out of his 12 season he had double digit picks. and 4 season where had more picks than TD's. Aikman had some really good seasons and he is in the HOF, but to say he's was this super accurate passer all the time, well his numbers don't bare that out.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
It's not being negative to look at things in a truthful way. You were only GUESSING at where Gregory is today. It wasn't based on any facts only guessing.
That kid still has pleanty of speed, believe it..

Jeffkills

Reaction score
And you've seen recent proof of that? Nobody has so any claims of that is just guessing.
Mmkay..
nancy.jpg

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

So GM's just go with what they hope for and not what actual numbers and facts are? GM's will just go off what was done 3 years ago and not care at all what the player actually does TODAY. Wanting to see actual numbers before proclaiming a player that is based on 3 year old playing isn't be negative, it's being realistic.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I feel like Aikmans career would last longer in the modern NFL. Aikman took an absolute beating early in his career. He was getting obliterated.

Modern rules with how the QB’s are protected. Perhaps Aikman’s back and concussion issues don’t happen and he maintains productivity longer than he did. Aikman’s play fell off bad near the end, in large part because of his back. He could barely get behind center to snap the ball it got so bad toward the end.

Modern rules, with his passing skills. He would be putting up MVP numbers every season on a good team. No question about it in my mind.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
So GM's just go with what they hope for and not what actual numbers and facts are? GM's will just go off what was done 3 years ago and not care at all what the player actually does TODAY. Wanting to see actual numbers before proclaiming a player that is based on 3 year old playing isn't be negative, it's being realistic.

Check it out, yo - this is where we're posting:

NFL GM's have an entirely different thing going on than us...

:thumbup:

tenor.gif

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
There's a lot of wrongs there. 1. Teams didn't stack the line against Emmitt because Aikman was a precision passer and would eat those fronts up. 2. Zeke hasn't been fast enough to get the the edge in two years. Refuses to use it? lol. 3. Usually the running back goes where the play dictates. This isn't backyard football. 4. They don't even utilize a FB.

Maybe Dak wasn't the reason for a lot of their losses, but he wasn't the reason they won either. He needs to be this year if he wants the $.

Aikman threw almost as many INT's over his career as TD's.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Check it out, yo - this is where we're posting:

NFL GM's have an entirely different thing going on than us...

:thumbup:

OK if you want to believe in 3 year old data then go right a head but those of us that don't still believe in the tooth fairy will wait and see where his speed and skills are today not 3 years ago.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was very accurate. The people who are telling you that are telling you the truth. The game was different then. The Offense was different, a lot of reasons why interceptions were more present in the NFL, at that time. He was not flawless but he was very good, very talented. You can't just look at stats and decide that a player was good or bad. The game has changed way too much for that. The game is now heavily weighted towards offense. That's why you see such inflated numbers in todays game.
Aikman's 69% was astronomical in 1993. A completion % over 55 was still considered solid back then

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Something else you must understand about Aikman and why his INT numbers. Understand that Aikman played in a Timing Offense. What does that mean then? Well, lots of things. One, he was throwing to a spot, not what we see in our Offense today. He wasn't waiting for WRs to uncover. He was throwing a an exact spot way before a WR was there and not matter what the DB was doing, at the time. Why is this relevent? In the game of Aikman's career, WRs could be bumped off their routes. The could actually be hit right as the ball was coming. A very typical coverage in those days was tight press with a LB or Safety just waiting for you to make your break. That guy was waiting for the WR to make his move and his job was to clean out the WR and allow another player to make a play on the ball because if you could do that, you had a good chance of getting a turn over. A lot, not all, of the INTs that Aikman threw were really not his fault. His job was to get the ball to a spot accurately and on time. The WRs job was to make sure he to the spot the ball would be and make the catch. Very different game in those days. If Defenses were able to play the style of defense they played then, you would see 5k seasons, 30 TD seasons, 65% completion percentages and 50 attempt games as a matter of course. You can't just look at stats and think, "Oh, those guys sucked, todays QBs are way better!" That line of thought is not even kinda true.

I'm telling you guys now, Aikman would dust any QB on the Roster if he were playing today. Not even close to be honest. But I can only tell you what I saw. It's up to you to learn the game, the way it was and understand why you can't just look at stats.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Something else you must understand about Aikman and why his INT numbers. Understand that Aikman played in a Timing Offense. What does that mean then? Well, lots of things. One, he was throwing to a spot, not what we see in our Offense today. He wasn't waiting for WRs to uncover. He was throwing a an exact spot way before a WR was there and not matter what the DB was doing, at the time. Why is this relevent? In the game of Aikman's career, WRs could be bumped off their routes. The could actually be hit right as the ball was coming. A very typical coverage in those days was tight press with a LB or Safety just waiting for you to make your break. That guy was waiting for the WR to make his move and his job was to clean out the WR and allow another player to make a play on the ball because if you could do that, you had a good chance of getting a turn over. A lot, not all, of the INTs that Aikman threw were really not his fault. His job was to get the ball to a spot accurately and on time. The WRs job was to make sure he to the spot the ball would be and make the catch. Very different game in those days. If Defenses were able to play the style of defense they played then, you would see 5k seasons, 30 TD seasons, 65% completion percentages and 50 attempt games as a matter of course. You can't just look at stats and think, "Oh, those guys sucked, todays QBs are way better!" That line of thought is not even kinda true.

I'm telling you guys now, Aikman would dust any QB on the Roster if he were playing today. Not even close to be honest. But I can only tell you what I saw. It's up to you to learn the game, the way it was and understand why you can't just look at stats.

91-95 Aikman was great.

96-99 Aikman not so great. Especially 98 playoffs. Terrible.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
91-95 Aikman was great.

96-99 Aikman not so great. Especially 98 playoffs. Terrible.

96-99 Aikman was still great. The players around him were not. A QB can look bad when he doesn't have talent. That was Aikman of that era. Aikman just didn't all of a sudden go from the very best to the worst.