Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (8/28)

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Hello folks, and happy Friday!

As usual, here is a recap of today's segment on Jam Session:

1. Spent a lot of time working on the Earl Thomas situation this week. What's the real deal because there is conflicting information? You've got McCarthy who has expressed no interest at all in the subject, Jerry who has told everyone listening that national insiders "don't know what they're talking about", and Stephen who got on the flagship station himself and said that they do business quietly - as they did with Everson Grifffen. There are several issues with signing Earl - one is that his numbers took a dip last season. 49 tackles and 2 interceptions is not the Earl Thomas of old, and certainly not the Earl Thomas the Cowboys were willing to give up draft capital and an extension to grab in a trade with Seattle a few years ago. Another reason is that Earl's leg injuries and his increasing age has made him slower, and finally and most importantly, Earl was the least likable guy in the Baltimore locker room. They couldn't wait to find a reason to cut bait with him. The Cowboys, fortunately, have a drama free locker room. Those guys like each other, and they like playing with each other, and that's that. This is very important to Mike McCarthy, and not something that he is willing to sacrifice for the benefit of making some fans happy. JJT likes Earl, but really doesn't see him landing here. In other words, as we've heard over the years, "we like our guys."

2. CeeDee Lamb is not going through team drills today. Not sure if it's a big deal, or if they're giving his body a break. Had Thompson and Woods starting at the safety position, with Diggs and Brown at corner, and Worley running in the slot. Crawford and Poe, reasonably so, were in the DT position. JJT is a little worried about Crawford, but he's finally playing the position that the Cowboys extended him to play. He's been a good player for us, but not great. JJT is worried coming off a major injury, age, and getting pounded by centers and guards - that his body would be able to handle the rigor. The point of this discussion is Trysten Hill is going to have to get some reasonable reps during the season, whether the Cowboys want him to or not.

3. The Cowboys are practicing inside because they're waiting on the grass to be re-done. Probably nothing to make of this, because the Cowboys' stadium is somewhat indoors, but JJT doesn't understand why this wasn't done during the offseason and not during the middle of camp. Maybe they all thought they'd eventually wind up in Oxnard? Hard to tell.

4. Following the report last week, Trevon Diggs had a really good week of practice. JJT seems to think that because he's a rookie going into camp, there was some initial willingness to sit back and let some veterans take the more meaningful work, but with Jourdan Lewis and Chido Awuzie both nursing some injuries, the dude has no choice but to ball, and that's what he's done in the past week. He's made plays and has shown that explosiveness that we saw at Alabama. When JJT asked a source if he was that same guy flying to the ball like he was at Alabama, the source said "hell yes." JJT said to look for Diggs to take the ball away this year.

5. JJT is intrigued by Anae. Anae, in terms of raw pass rushing talent, could've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his measurables caused him to fall to us all the way in the fifth. He has short arms, which is more or less a demand of the position. Demarcus Lawrence and Dorance Armstrong, for example, have large, long arms. JJT joked that Anae's arms are "just as long as mine." JJT noted that Anae has been balling in camp, but hasn't had the opportunity to face quality OT's like La'el Collins yet. He's been going against mostly scrub/PS talent and dominating them and that's good, but they want to see where he stacks up. This is where not having a preseason can kill you. They could play him in the first or second quarter against starting tackles in the league to see where he stands, but without preseason - they're going to have to give him a lot of work and a lot of evaluation.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this.

Those are some very serious points to ponder regarding ET. Points we've brought up here already, but they seem very legit.
McCarthy has a reason for caution.

Love the news on Diggs.

I'm guessing the turf was fine going in but isn't holding up the way the had hoped in the summer heat and heavy use.
So, they're fixing it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this a typical dig from JJT?
"The point of this discussion is Trysten Hill is going to have to get some reasonable reps during the season, whether the Cowboys want him to or not."

JJT has become better over the years, but sayings like this, he always digs at a player as if he has an agenda. From what we been seeing, he has been having a good camp. So maybe he deserves some playing time JJT, whether you want him to play or not. :laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
5. JJT is intrigued by Anae. Anae, in terms of raw pass rushing talent, could've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his measurables caused him to fall to us all the way in the fifth. He has short arms, which is more or less a demand of the position. Demarcus Lawrence and Dorance Armstrong, for example, have large, long arms. JJT joked that Anae's arms are "just as long as mine." JJT noted that Anae has been balling in camp, but hasn't had the opportunity to face quality OT's like La'el Collins yet. He's been going against mostly scrub/PS talent and dominating them and that's good, but they want to see where he stacks up. This is where not having a preseason can kill you. They could play him in the first or second quarter against starting tackles in the league to see where he stands, but without preseason - they're going to have to give him a lot of work and a lot of evaluation.

Frankly, I think Anae, Hill and Gallimore should see very limited snaps early in the season until they prove they deserve more.

We've got a good six-man rotation of veterans (Smith, Griffen and Lawrence at end, Poe, Woods and Crawford at tackle) and we should rely on them until the others, and I'll throw Armstrong in that group, prove reliable.

I've mentioned this before, but one of the things that bothered me most with Marinelli was him subbing in a bunch of inferior backup linemen, even at time when stops seemed more crucial. We need to give the young guys a play here and there, but we need to carefully pick and choose when to do it and not sideline our veterans when it really matters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1. Spent a lot of time working on the Earl Thomas situation this week. What's the real deal because there is conflicting information? You've got McCarthy who has expressed no interest at all in the subject, Jerry who has told everyone listening that national insiders "don't know what they're talking about", and Stephen who got on the flagship station himself and said that they do business quietly - as they did with Everson Grifffen. There are several issues with signing Earl - one is that his numbers took a dip last season. 49 tackles and 2 interceptions is not the Earl Thomas of old, and certainly not the Earl Thomas the Cowboys were willing to give up draft capital and an extension to grab in a trade with Seattle a few years ago. Another reason is that Earl's leg injuries and his increasing age has made him slower, and finally and most importantly, Earl was the least likable guy in the Baltimore locker room. They couldn't wait to find a reason to cut bait with him. The Cowboys, fortunately, have a drama free locker room. Those guys like each other, and they like playing with each other, and that's that. This is very important to Mike McCarthy, and not something that he is willing to sacrifice for the benefit of making some fans happy. JJT likes Earl, but really doesn't see him landing here. In other words, as we've heard over the years, "we like our guys."

2. CeeDee Lamb is not going through team drills today. Not sure if it's a big deal, or if they're giving his body a break. Had Thompson and Woods starting at the safety position, with Diggs and Brown at corner, and Worley running in the slot. Crawford and Poe, reasonably so, were in the DT position. JJT is a little worried about Crawford, but he's finally playing the position that the Cowboys extended him to play. He's been a good player for us, but not great. JJT is worried coming off a major injury, age, and getting pounded by centers and guards - that his body would be able to handle the rigor. The point of this discussion is Trysten Hill is going to have to get some reasonable reps during the season, whether the Cowboys want him to or not.

3. The Cowboys are practicing inside because they're waiting on the grass to be re-done. Probably nothing to make of this, because the Cowboys' stadium is somewhat indoors, but JJT doesn't understand why this wasn't done during the offseason and not during the middle of camp. Maybe they all thought they'd eventually wind up in Oxnard? Hard to tell.

4. Following the report last week, Trevon Diggs had a really good week of practice. JJT seems to think that because he's a rookie going into camp, there was some initial willingness to sit back and let some veterans take the more meaningful work, but with Jourdan Lewis and Chido Awuzie both nursing some injuries, the dude has no choice but to ball, and that's what he's done in the past week. He's made plays and has shown that explosiveness that we saw at Alabama. When JJT asked a source if he was that same guy flying to the ball like he was at Alabama, the source said "hell yes." JJT said to look for Diggs to take the ball away this year.

1. I'm sticking with my guess that this idea is not dead, but it isn't going to come together quickly either. Earl Thomas will have to take the offer the Cowboys are comfortable giving him (with no guarantees) and assure the team that he won;t be a negative distraction. If he's unable or unwilling to do that, he will sign somewhere else, if at all.
  2. I'm still shocked at how this team is willing to continue to overpay Crawford so much, given all of the factors. Hill will definitely be getting some work there - as a 2nd year, 2nd round pick is expected to. Gallimore looks to be coming along very slowly in his adjustment to the pro level.
  3. Sounds like dumb scheduling.
  4. Diggs is seizing his opportunity. If he can be consistent, he's going to be a good one. At this point, I still have Brown and Awuzie penciled in as the two outside cornerback starters.
  5. Having no preseason hurts these rookies like Anae. Hard to tell whether he's that good or the competition is that bad. But it's sounding like he's set to be one of the 5 DE's making this team.

Carson

Reaction score
If Earls market is as dry as it seems, I’m not sure why don’t just toss a team friendly deal that we can get out of.

Im sure he wants to play this year and isn’t going to cash out.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good stuff. Some general thoughts:
  • I have always respected JJT’s opinions. I listen to him often on local Dallas radio and he has real insight Into what’s really going on. He has great connections with several players, and I think he’s usually fair in his assessments. Not a homer but balanced.
  • Regarding EThomas: I think based on both his declining performance plus what I’ve read about his being a lousy teammate, I don’t think it makes much sense to bring this guy into a locker room trying to get established under a new HC who doesn’t seem that interested to begin with.
  • Anae- I like this kid, and I think he has upside. But beware of the training camp hype we get every year about some long shot “having a great camp” who hasn’t really faced strong NFL competition yet. Let’s tap the brakes on Anae being an immediate starter like I’ve seen by too many thirsty fans lately.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Earls market is as dry as it seems, I’m not sure why don’t just toss a team friendly deal that we can get out of.

Im sure he wants to play this year and isn’t going to cash out.

I think that you and I both realize that, but in his current state, I'm not sure Thomas himself does.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff. Some general thoughts:
  • I have always respected JJT’s opinions. I listen to him often on local Dallas radio and he has real insight Into what’s really going on. He has great connections with several players, and I think he’s usually fair in his assessments. Not a homer but balanced.
  • Regarding EThomas: I think based on both his declining performance plus what I’ve read about his being a lousy teammate, I don’t think it makes much sense to bring this guy into a locker room trying to get established under a new HC who doesn’t seem that interested to begin with.
  • Anae- I like this kid, and I think he has upside. But beware of the training camp hype we get every year about some long shot “having a great camp” who hasn’t really faced strong NFL competition yet. Let’s tap the brakes on Anae being an immediate starter like I’ve seen by too many thirsty fans lately.

Anae a "starter"? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

I don't consider a potential Thomas deal "dead", but it's not at all well. I think McCarthy might agree to it, provided it's a low-money deal with no guarantees with the coach having carte blanche to get rid of him at the very first sign of trouble. My guess is that's what Jerry and/or Stephen is still working on.

starfan1

Reaction score
who is writing the article? I thought it was JJT but as i read the information it sounds like hes referring to himself in third person. Or someone who works for him is writing a synopsis,anyway i digress. I hope he is right about Earl Thomas and hopefully nothing alarming going on with CeeDee. Good stuff Thanks

ET 47 30 17 2 4 2 0 38 19 24
Xman 76 51 25 0 5 2 0 38 19 29

the difference in stats is not exactly great. Yes ET may be better but not for what he brings additionally.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anae a "starter"? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

I don't consider a potential Thomas deal "dead", but it's not at all well. I think McCarthy might agree to it, provided it's a low-money deal with no guarantees with the coach having carte blanche to get rid of him at the very first sign of trouble. My guess is that's what Jerry and/or Stephen is still working on.
Even on a “team friendly” deal, I’m of the opinion we don’t need an aging diva with declining skills who can’t get along with teammates. I think too many people are still enamored with his once great talent and not being real about his potential problems for the team.

ET two years ago would have been intriguing. Now, it seems like a fantasy football move.

fivetwos

Reaction score
  1. I'm sticking with my guess that this idea is not dead, but it isn't going to come together quickly either. Earl Thomas will have to take the offer the Cowboys are comfortable giving him (with no guarantees) and assure the team that he won;t be a negative distraction. If he's unable or unwilling to do that, he will sign somewhere else, if at all.
  2. I'm still shocked at how this team is willing to continue to overpay Crawford so much, given all of the factors. Hill will definitely be getting some work there - as a 2nd year, 2nd round pick is expected to. Gallimore looks to be coming along very slowly in his adjustment to the pro level.
  3. Sounds like dumb scheduling.
  4. Diggs is seizing his opportunity. If he can be consistent, he's going to be a good one. At this point, I still have Brown and Awuzie penciled in as the two outside cornerback starters.
  5. Having no preseason hurts these rookies like Anae. Hard to tell whether he's that good or the competition is that bad. But it's sounding like he's set to be one of the 5 DE's making this team.
1. A few things will need to happen..week one passes, then he is a week by week deal. Our safety play will need to be atrocious, which is pretty much the middle spot on a bingo card. Then he will need to decide that he seriously wants to be here, then sell it to Jerry. I'd give it 30% shot at happening at this point.

2. He is Jerry's buddy. They have overvalued him from minute one. It's very solid business to ask him to take a cut, but they dont generally operate that way. McCoy going down blew out any shot of a cut.

3. Oxnard cant be the excuse. They would have been back in Dallas now anyway.

4. I'm hoping Nolan comes up with something in nickel and dime packages where we can have only one of the guys they call safeties on the field. The third team corners are better than Thompson.

5. Definitely making the team, probably will see a nice amount of reps as well. He has some teammates that need to be accounted for, and that'll help him. I expect this to eventually become the best draft in team history.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even on a “team friendly” deal, I’m of the opinion we don’t need an aging diva with declining skills who can’t get along with teammates. I think too many people are still enamored with his once great talent and not being real about his potential problems for the team.

ET two years ago would have been intriguing. Now, it seems like a fantasy football move.

I think the reports of his on-field demise are greatly exaggerated.

The last game he played was the Pro Bowl. And the last team he played on finished 14-2 and 3rd in defense. And his overall grades from the various sites were still very good as well.

Is he what he once was? No.

Is he still far better than Clinton-Dix and Thompson? Yes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. A few things will need to happen..week one passes, then he is a week by week deal. Our safety play will need to be atrocious, which is pretty much the middle spot on a bingo card. Then he will need to decide that he seriously wants to be here, then sell it to Jerry. I'd give it 30% shot at happening at this point.

2. He is Jerry's buddy. They have overvalued him from minute one. It's very solid business to ask him to take a cut, but they dont generally operate that way. McCoy going down blew out any shot of a cut.

3. Oxnard cant be the excuse. They would have been back in Dallas now anyway.

4. I'm hoping Nolan comes up with something in nickel and dime packages where we can have only one of the guys they call safeties on the field. The third team corners are better than Thompson.

5. Definitely making the team, probably will see a nice amount of reps as well. He has some teammates that need to be accounted for, and that'll help him. I expect this to eventually become the best draft in team history.
  1. I think that's too late. For him and the team. I'd work around it with a league minimum deal with playing incentives. That's where he would earn his money. It gets him in the building and learning the defense now and it protects the team from guarantees if they want to get rid of him.
  2. I tend to agree with all of that - reluctantly. McCoy gone or not, Crawford is grossly overpaid. He gets hurt again? Another $9 million wasted, along with the $10 million they wasted last year.
  3. Just stupidity then.
  4. I'd rather they weren't patching things together back there.
  5. Those are some high expectations! But they finally have the coaching to maximize that talent so you could be right. I'm guessing it's Lawrence - Griffen - Smith - Anae - Armstrong that the team keeps at DE. With 5 DT's in Poe - Crawford - Woods - Hill - Gallimore rounding out the 10 defensive linemen they keep.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think that you and I both realize that, but in his current state, I'm not sure Thomas himself does.
Its probably going to take a while for several things to happen....

Thomas realizing he has no market and no team is going to give him anything close to what he lost.

He needs to realize that he has to behave, and shut his mouth, and blend in....

He has to realize that what he did was way wrong and out of line. I'm guessing he still thinks he was in the right.

Deciding that he wants to play in Dallas, and being fine with a small incentive laden contract.

And of course no one unexpected stepping up and grabbing a safety role (Robinson?)

It's a shame because this should be a no brainer for both sides....but it's far from that.

If what this says about team chemistry is anywhere near true, guys like Thomas can blow that up by themselves. That's a tough risk...

MikeB80

Reaction score
Espn 103.3 is essentially going out of local business in a week or so? I forget the date. So guys like JJT will not be on the air anymore very soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its probably going to take a while for several things to happen....

Thomas realizing he has no market and no team is going to give him anything close to what he lost.

He needs to realize that he has to behave, and shut his mouth, and blend in....

He has to realize that what he did was way wrong and out of line. I'm guessing he still thinks he was in the right.

Deciding that he wants to play in Dallas, and being fine with a small incentive laden contract.

And of course no one unexpected stepping up and grabbing a safety role (Robinson?)

It's a shame because this should be a no brainer for both sides....but it's far from that.

If what this says about team chemistry is anywhere near true, guys like Thomas can blow that up by themselves. That's a tough risk...

:hammer:

All of that is right on the money.

I'm starting to think that there are simply too many 'starts that need to align' for him to wind up in Dallas, so I expect him to play somewhere else as of today.

fivetwos

Reaction score
  1. I think that's too late. For him and the team. I'd work around it with a league minimum deal with playing incentives. That's where he would earn his money. It gets him in the building and learning the defense now and it protects the team from guarantees if they want to get rid of him.
  2. I tend to agree with all of that - reluctantly. McCoy gone or not, Crawford is grossly overpaid. He gets hurt again? Another $9 million wasted, along with the $10 million they wasted last year.
  3. Just stupidity then.
  4. I'd rather they weren't patching things together back there.
  5. Those are some high expectations! But they finally have the coaching to maximize that talent so you could be right. I'm guessing it's Lawrence - Griffen - Smith - Anae - Armstrong that the team keeps at DE. With 5 DT's in Poe - Crawford - Woods - Hill - Gallimore rounding out the 10 defensive linemen they keep.
Ha!! Yes!

They've been patching safety together for quite some time.

It shows on game day.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Espn 103.3 is essentially going out of local business in a week or so? I forget the date. So guys like JJT will not be on the air anymore very soon.
I remember hearing some rumblings about that.

I'm out of the market and listen online

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. ET is a lot bigger question mark league-wide than we want to admit. In the NFL the fall is swift as we learned with Dez. Position is only reason I'd entertain it at all tbh. Safety is our soft spot.
2. A lot of dudes are going to miss practices so not to worry much there unless it is a few in a row. TC is what he is and that's a valuable swiss army knife. They kept him because they might need him and now they do.
3. This is likely a combo of 2 things. Having the Jones' in control of so much and the weird scheduling. Jerry badly wants to be in Cali for the fan base there.
4. DAL has a solid depth base at CB and a real concern it appears at Safety. But Diggs is likely back up year 1 behind AB, Chido at the outside CB spots UN LESS they move AB back inside to nickel. Reggie may get time at safety and surprise.
5. Pass rushers either have it or they don't. You keep a kid and let him prove that or regret it painfully. Anae has shown enough flashes to where he's staying imho.