Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (8/28)

HanD

Reaction score
I think the reports of his on-field demise are greatly exaggerated.

The last game he played was the Pro Bowl. And the last team he played on finished 14-2 and 3rd in defense. And his overall grades from the various sites were still very good as well.

Is he what he once was? No.

Is he still far better than Clinton-Dix and Thompson? Yes.
Exactly. No one is reasonably expecting Earl from his peak all pro days. But we have Thompson and haha can't even beat him out. Safety is definitely an issue and CBs aren't as established as previous seasons. Lots of potential but unproven.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly. No one is reasonably expecting Earl from his peak all pro days. But we have Thompson and haha can't even beat him out. Safety is definitely an issue and CBs aren't as established as previous seasons. Lots of potential but unproven.
Very true but they also may be looking at other teams cuts or trade options here shortly.
I get why MM wants chemistry in a weird season where he gets less facetime and so much is about working remotely and being a pro.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes. I'd like a bit more of an established presence back there. I thought Clinton-Dix would bring that, but if he's running second to Thompson, that's cause for concern. Corner already undoubtedly took a hit given Jones' departure, so I'd feel better if we at least had an accomplished safety manning the fort back there.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this on a weekly basis. It is very much appreciated. Lamb not practicing is probably more psychology for the CBs. Need to get their confidence up as Lamb has been torching them since he has been in camp. The team psychologist probably got so many visits that he went to the coaches and told them to sit Lamb due to all the CBs that have been in his office this past week, lol.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The question I have is this, can it just be that Thompson has really improved? Not likely, but it would be a great reason Dix is 2nd string (Better than the alternitive that Dix is playing like crap). I have heard Thompson is running with the 1s, but I personally haven't heard how he looks out there? Any of you folks have updates I missed?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Earls market is as dry as it seems, I’m not sure why don’t just toss a team friendly deal that we can get out of.

Im sure he wants to play this year and isn’t going to cash out.
but if he is a locker room cancer and his skills have diminished what will we get? a headache?

Kaiser

Reaction score
If Earls market is as dry as it seems, I’m not sure why don’t just toss a team friendly deal that we can get out of.

Im sure he wants to play this year and isn’t going to cash out.

There are three moving parts of the equation - has his play dropped off, has his attitude improved and what is he asking for.

I trust McCarthy and McClay to make the right call on this, pro or con.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The question I have is this, can it just be that Thompson has really improved?

tenor.gif

starfan1

Reaction score
The question I have is this, can it just be that Thompson has really improved? Not likely, but it would be a great reason Dix is 2nd string (Better than the alternitive that Dix is playing like crap). I have heard Thompson is running with the 1s, but I personally haven't heard how he looks out there? Any of you folks have updates I missed?

honestly Dix running with second team could mean futility but it could also mean that this coaching staff already has a real good idea what they have in Dix.he played in Green bay so they get him. Hes also a veteran they could be protecting from getting beat up before the season.

I believe they just want to look at others a bit more closely

quickccc

Reaction score
If that's so about dix being protected
then why not give Xavier woods a vet day off a maintenance day as they call it.
or limited snaps as well ?

Why not protect him too ,even if it's not full tackling, so I dunno how they get beat up
With just camp and no preseason.
And Darius Thompson is a journeyman who been mediocre in coverage last year so what does

starfan1

Reaction score
If that's so about dix being protected
then why not give Xavier woods a vet day off a maintenance day as they call it.
or limited snaps as well ?

Why not protect him too ,even if it's not full tackling, so I dunno how they get beat up
With just camp and no preseason.
And Darius Thompson is a journeyman who been mediocre in coverage last year so what does

well that's not an unfair question if that was the case with Dix. Maybe the change of a system that Dix knows all to well and woods doesn't? I'm just speculating here so I could be wrong.I haven't heard one coach come out and say I'm not happy Dix and maybe they have and I ain't heard it. Most of what Ive heard has been in here and Broaduss. I'm not certain everything Broaduss says is gospel.

The other thing I'm trying to do is give some sort of understanding to the situation that perhaps the reason we have been underwhelmed with this secondary could be because of the previous coaching staff. The all world Byron Jones the highest paid CB in the league had 2 picks in his career. How much of that is coaching? How much of its on Byron?

All that being said I'm in no way in favor of bringing in a known cancer who's stats last year are marginally better than what we already have. Who has an injury history and wants to be paid handsomely! But if the boys are that stupid Ill root for him like no ones business.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Anae a "starter"? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

I don't consider a potential Thomas deal "dead", but it's not at all well. I think McCarthy might agree to it, provided it's a low-money deal with no guarantees with the coach having carte blanche to get rid of him at the very first sign of trouble. My guess is that's what Jerry and/or Stephen is still working on.

100% ........ simply put, if it was dead, they would shut it down by now. Think it's safe to say they're waiting for something.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
1. The secondary scares the heck out of me.
2. Days off for Ceedee? That's weak.
3. Crawford finally playing the position he was extended for? He played 5T today?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1. The secondary scares the heck out of me.
Safeties? Yes. They are hot garbage.
Corners? Short-term..sure. Long-term, they are going to be good. Too much size and athleticism. If the coaches don't abandon them because the Safeties can't cover more than a 3 yard area, they will be fine. Awuzie is going to have a monster year. Diggs is going to show flashes. Worley is going to mug people. Jourdan Lewis will make plays. Anthony Brown will still suck.

2. Days off for Ceedee? That's weak.
Speaking of covering areas, I would have CeeDee Lamb running so many crossing routes (Shallows, Digs) against defense that it might actually be smart to give his legs some rest.

3. Crawford finally playing the position he was extended for? He played 5T today?
Just like our Safeties and Anthony Brown, hot garbage. Nice guy, but sooooo overrated by this FO and fan base.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hello folks, and happy Friday!

As usual, here is a recap of today's segment on Jam Session:

1. Spent a lot of time working on the Earl Thomas situation this week. What's the real deal because there is conflicting information? You've got McCarthy who has expressed no interest at all in the subject, Jerry who has told everyone listening that national insiders "don't know what they're talking about", and Stephen who got on the flagship station himself and said that they do business quietly - as they did with Everson Grifffen. There are several issues with signing Earl - one is that his numbers took a dip last season. 49 tackles and 2 interceptions is not the Earl Thomas of old, and certainly not the Earl Thomas the Cowboys were willing to give up draft capital and an extension to grab in a trade with Seattle a few years ago. Another reason is that Earl's leg injuries and his increasing age has made him slower, and finally and most importantly, Earl was the least likable guy in the Baltimore locker room. They couldn't wait to find a reason to cut bait with him. The Cowboys, fortunately, have a drama free locker room. Those guys like each other, and they like playing with each other, and that's that. This is very important to Mike McCarthy, and not something that he is willing to sacrifice for the benefit of making some fans happy. JJT likes Earl, but really doesn't see him landing here. In other words, as we've heard over the years, "we like our guys."

2. CeeDee Lamb is not going through team drills today. Not sure if it's a big deal, or if they're giving his body a break. Had Thompson and Woods starting at the safety position, with Diggs and Brown at corner, and Worley running in the slot. Crawford and Poe, reasonably so, were in the DT position. JJT is a little worried about Crawford, but he's finally playing the position that the Cowboys extended him to play. He's been a good player for us, but not great. JJT is worried coming off a major injury, age, and getting pounded by centers and guards - that his body would be able to handle the rigor. The point of this discussion is Trysten Hill is going to have to get some reasonable reps during the season, whether the Cowboys want him to or not.

3. The Cowboys are practicing inside because they're waiting on the grass to be re-done. Probably nothing to make of this, because the Cowboys' stadium is somewhat indoors, but JJT doesn't understand why this wasn't done during the offseason and not during the middle of camp. Maybe they all thought they'd eventually wind up in Oxnard? Hard to tell.

4. Following the report last week, Trevon Diggs had a really good week of practice. JJT seems to think that because he's a rookie going into camp, there was some initial willingness to sit back and let some veterans take the more meaningful work, but with Jourdan Lewis and Chido Awuzie both nursing some injuries, the dude has no choice but to ball, and that's what he's done in the past week. He's made plays and has shown that explosiveness that we saw at Alabama. When JJT asked a source if he was that same guy flying to the ball like he was at Alabama, the source said "hell yes." JJT said to look for Diggs to take the ball away this year.

5. JJT is intrigued by Anae. Anae, in terms of raw pass rushing talent, could've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his measurables caused him to fall to us all the way in the fifth. He has short arms, which is more or less a demand of the position. Demarcus Lawrence and Dorance Armstrong, for example, have large, long arms. JJT joked that Anae's arms are "just as long as mine." JJT noted that Anae has been balling in camp, but hasn't had the opportunity to face quality OT's like La'el Collins yet. He's been going against mostly scrub/PS talent and dominating them and that's good, but they want to see where he stacks up. This is where not having a preseason can kill you. They could play him in the first or second quarter against starting tackles in the league to see where he stands, but without preseason - they're going to have to give him a lot of work and a lot of evaluation.
skimmed through no mention of HAHA and whys hes in the dog house..if Diggs can get back on track why not DIX?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Safeties? Yes. They are hot garbage.
Corners? Short-term..sure. Long-term, they are going to be good. Too much size and athleticism. If the coaches don't abandon them because the Safeties can't cover more than a 3 yard area, they will be fine. Awuzie is going to have a monster year. Diggs is going to show flashes. Worley is going to mug people. Jourdan Lewis will make plays. Anthony Brown will still suck.

Speaking of covering areas, I would have CeeDee Lamb running so many crossing routes (Shallows, Digs) against defense that it might actually be smart to give his legs some rest.

Just like our Safeties and Anthony Brown, hot garbage. Nice guy, but sooooo overrated by this FO and fan base.
Come on coach Ceedee 21 years old and only been to like 6 practices lol. I get it but they have so little time in today's game to get everything together. Not having him out there to rest is soft.