Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (8/28)

blueblood70

Reaction score
honestly Dix running with second team could mean futility but it could also mean that this coaching staff already has a real good idea what they have in Dix.he played in Green bay so they get him. Hes also a veteran they could be protecting from getting beat up before the season.

I believe they just want to look at others a bit more closely
thats my gut feeling i said that very thing a week ago

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not much of a pass rush rotation between Poe, Woods, and Crawford. Got two NT/1Ts, one 3T.
how do you know until the actual games and rotations are played out, tank, smith, and Griffen could take so much attention it leaves the middle vulnerable..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This team is really going to have to rely on Hill and Gallimore for interior pressure.

Not many other options. I think Griffen can move inside some. But the only DT getting talk is Hill.

I'd want a good rotation of 3 DTs for pass rush. But I don't see them, and besides Griffen, the top DEs don't have the size to go inside.

I don't like the plan for 4 DTs. Either gotta drop Woods or only have two pass rush DTs.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Come on coach Ceedee 21 years old and only been to like 6 practices lol. I get it but they have so little time in today's game to get everything together. Not having him out there to rest is soft.
I get what you are saying.

I'm just saying I would abuse Lamb as a playcaller so that he can abuse defenses.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not much of a pass rush rotation between Poe, Woods, and Crawford. Got two NT/1Ts, one 3T.

Poe and Crawford are decent at getting inside pressure, but in pass rushing situations we'll likely have Griffen, Lawrence and Smith all on the field with one of them, most likely Crawford.

I see several lineup combinations

Griffen/Smith, 1-tech Woods, 3-tech Poe, Lawrence in some early-down situations (with Griffen or Smith also able to sub for Lawrence on those

Griffen/Smith, 1-tech Poe, 3-tech Crawford, Lawrence in some run situations where a pass is also likely.

Griffen, Crawford, Smith, Lawrence in passing situations.

We could even go big with a five-man line of Smith, Griffen, Poe, Crawford, Lawrence at times in a 5-2 (with one of the ends standing up) or 3-4 (with both ends standing up as linebackers).

The point is with those six rotating, we should be able to keep them fresh without having to really rely on the younger players unless they can prove worthy in limited snaps.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Poe and Crawford are decent at getting inside pressure, but in pass rushing situations we'll likely have Griffen, Lawrence and Smith all on the field with one of them, most likely Crawford.
Crawford barely gets any pressure inside. Most of his pressure is when he plays DE.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hello folks, and happy Friday!

As usual, here is a recap of today's segment on Jam Session:

1. Spent a lot of time working on the Earl Thomas situation this week. What's the real deal because there is conflicting information? You've got McCarthy who has expressed no interest at all in the subject, Jerry who has told everyone listening that national insiders "don't know what they're talking about", and Stephen who got on the flagship station himself and said that they do business quietly - as they did with Everson Grifffen. There are several issues with signing Earl - one is that his numbers took a dip last season. 49 tackles and 2 interceptions is not the Earl Thomas of old, and certainly not the Earl Thomas the Cowboys were willing to give up draft capital and an extension to grab in a trade with Seattle a few years ago. Another reason is that Earl's leg injuries and his increasing age has made him slower, and finally and most importantly, Earl was the least likable guy in the Baltimore locker room. They couldn't wait to find a reason to cut bait with him. The Cowboys, fortunately, have a drama free locker room. Those guys like each other, and they like playing with each other, and that's that. This is very important to Mike McCarthy, and not something that he is willing to sacrifice for the benefit of making some fans happy. JJT likes Earl, but really doesn't see him landing here. In other words, as we've heard over the years, "we like our guys."

2. CeeDee Lamb is not going through team drills today. Not sure if it's a big deal, or if they're giving his body a break. Had Thompson and Woods starting at the safety position, with Diggs and Brown at corner, and Worley running in the slot. Crawford and Poe, reasonably so, were in the DT position. JJT is a little worried about Crawford, but he's finally playing the position that the Cowboys extended him to play. He's been a good player for us, but not great. JJT is worried coming off a major injury, age, and getting pounded by centers and guards - that his body would be able to handle the rigor. The point of this discussion is Trysten Hill is going to have to get some reasonable reps during the season, whether the Cowboys want him to or not.

3. The Cowboys are practicing inside because they're waiting on the grass to be re-done. Probably nothing to make of this, because the Cowboys' stadium is somewhat indoors, but JJT doesn't understand why this wasn't done during the offseason and not during the middle of camp. Maybe they all thought they'd eventually wind up in Oxnard? Hard to tell.

4. Following the report last week, Trevon Diggs had a really good week of practice. JJT seems to think that because he's a rookie going into camp, there was some initial willingness to sit back and let some veterans take the more meaningful work, but with Jourdan Lewis and Chido Awuzie both nursing some injuries, the dude has no choice but to ball, and that's what he's done in the past week. He's made plays and has shown that explosiveness that we saw at Alabama. When JJT asked a source if he was that same guy flying to the ball like he was at Alabama, the source said "hell yes." JJT said to look for Diggs to take the ball away this year.

5. JJT is intrigued by Anae. Anae, in terms of raw pass rushing talent, could've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his measurables caused him to fall to us all the way in the fifth. He has short arms, which is more or less a demand of the position. Demarcus Lawrence and Dorance Armstrong, for example, have large, long arms. JJT joked that Anae's arms are "just as long as mine." JJT noted that Anae has been balling in camp, but hasn't had the opportunity to face quality OT's like La'el Collins yet. He's been going against mostly scrub/PS talent and dominating them and that's good, but they want to see where he stacks up. This is where not having a preseason can kill you. They could play him in the first or second quarter against starting tackles in the league to see where he stands, but without preseason - they're going to have to give him a lot of work and a lot of evaluation.

Always a top post of the week. Thanks.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Crawford barely gets any pressure inside. Most of his pressure is when he plays DE.

Crawford's year with his most QB hits (14) came when he played tackle. He's also had a 5-sack year at tackle. His best year for total tackles was at tackle. His best year for tackles for loss was at end (8), but it's only one above his best at tackle (7).

He's quick for a DT but not so much for a DE. The idea that he barely gets any pressure inside is a fallacy.

quickccc

Reaction score
well that's not an unfair question if that was the case with Dix. Maybe the change of a system that Dix knows all to well and woods doesn't? I'm just speculating here so I could be wrong.I haven't heard one coach come out and say I'm not happy Dix and maybe they have and I ain't heard it. Most of what Ive heard has been in here and Broaduss. I'm not certain everything Broaduss says is gospel.

The other thing I'm trying to do is give some sort of understanding to the situation that perhaps the reason we have been underwhelmed with this secondary could be because of the previous coaching staff. The all world Byron Jones the highest paid CB in the league had 2 picks in his career. How much of that is coaching? How much of its on Byron?

All that being said I'm in no way in favor of bringing in a known cancer who's stats last year are marginally better than what we already have. Who has an injury history and wants to be paid handsomely! But if the boys are that stupid Ill root for him like no ones business.

i would not expect a legit coach here with the Cowboys to go public with the media about his disappointment with a player in camp. Theyd' simply make a change in the lineup and try to make a verbal reason why player A is gettting rewarded reps over Player B.

With Byron, it's simply combining the top notch athletic physical tools of Byron ..and combining it with proper coaching that allowed that player to be placed in the best position where he can excel. We hear that term all he time
and Jones wasnt any different.
Regardless of how some fans see Jones as overrated, though he made the All pro and pro bowl in his 1st year as starting CB per Kris Richard.

quickccc

Reaction score
Crawford's year with his most QB hits (14) came when he played tackle. He's also had a 5-sack year at tackle. His best year for total tackles was at tackle. His best year for tackles for loss was at end (8), but it's only one above his best at tackle (7).

He's quick for a DT but not so much for a DE. The idea that he barely gets any pressure inside is a fallacy.

Just as JJT elaborated in this segment of Whispers from the Stars, Crawford is also a lightweight DT, do we really want Crawford taking that much more of a pounding, at this stage and age of his career ?

We want to be more bigger and physical vs the run.... Vs the days of Marinelli who preferred movement over brawn muscle.
We take a step with that with Crawford starting. Imo, that's why so much is gonna be watched and counted on with 2nd year
but inexperienced Trysten Hill.

Yes Crawford is better suited inside at DT, but that also should be as a nickel rotation DT. He's not big and brawn enough to be an
everyday full time 3 tech, Teams are gonna run at him, and he's gonna wear down and give ground.
Spotting him as a rotation guy would keep him fresh as a rusher, and extend the toll on his body.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just as JJT elaborated in this segment of Whispers from the Stars, Crawford is also a lightweight DT, do we really want Crawford taking that much more of a pounding, at this stage and age of his career ?

We want to be more bigger and physical vs the run.... Vs the days of Marinelli who preferred movement over brawn muscle.
We take a step with that with Crawford starting. Imo, that's why so much is gonna be watched and counted on with 2nd year
but inexperienced Trysten Hill.

Yes Crawford is better suited inside at DT, but that also should be as a nickel rotation DT. He's not big and brawn enough to be an
everyday full time 3 tech, Teams are gonna run at him, and he's gonna wear down and give ground.
Spotting him as a rotation guy would keep him fresh as a rusher, and extend the toll on his body.

Crawford isn't bad against the run as a DT, so I expect to see him in there some and I think he'll exclusively play tackle, but we'll also see one of the ends in there with Poe at times and probably Woods in there next to Poe at times. I think all three of those experienced interior linemen (Poe, Crawford and Woods) will be rotated out plenty, especially with us trying to get the three ends on the field.

gimmesix

Reaction score
while also moving Aldon over to inside in the nickel rush packages. And i wouldn't be surprised to see DLaw moved inside to nickel
rush a times as well too. A NASCAR 2007 GIants-package at teams.

At the same time as Smith? I'll be surprised by that unless they really have faith in Anae already.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even on a “team friendly” deal, I’m of the opinion we don’t need an aging diva with declining skills who can’t get along with teammates. I think too many people are still enamored with his once great talent and not being real about his potential problems for the team.

ET two years ago would have been intriguing. Now, it seems like a fantasy football move.

He’s one of the best safeties in the game. He’s only 31.. He’s miles better than Woods and whoever else they trot out beside him.

quickccc

Reaction score
At the same time as Smith? I'll be surprised by that unless they really have faith in Anae already.

huh ? at the same time as Smith ?
i meant Aldon can be moving over in at nickel rush in long obvious rush downs, while Griffen and Dlaw handle the DE outsides.
And while DLaw can be moved in as a nickel DT (replacing Poe ) on obvious nickel downs, while a Smith or Anae handles his
left DE role, or left OLB role as rushers.

Giants were successful moving Justin Tuck inside vs pass blocking OGs. that simply could handle his agility and quickness

75boyz

Reaction score
while also moving Aldon over to inside in the nickel rush packages. And i wouldn't be surprised to see DLaw moved inside to nickel
rush a times as well too. A NASCAR 2007 GIants-package at teams.

Not sure who the Cowboys versions of Strahan Tuck and Osi are...
But I can get behind their idea that if the pass rush is relentless than fellow hall of fame safeties like Gibril Wilson and James Butler can actually hold down the fort on the back end.

Guess my opinion in this case is hopefully the Cowboys can copy this example.

If the front 7 can consistently bring the heat. That is consistently...

Just maybe the safeties dont hafta be Polamalu and Reed

gimmesix

Reaction score
huh ? at the same time as Smith ?
i meant Aldon can be moving over in at nickel rush in long obvious rush downs, while Griffen and Dlaw handle the DE outsides.
And while DLaw can be moved in as a nickel DT (replacing Poe ) on obvious nickel downs, while a Smith or Anae handles his
left DE role, or left OLB role as rushers.

Giants were successful moving Justin Tuck inside vs pass blocking OGs. that simply could handle his agility and quickness

I just don't see us relying on Anae unless he proves it in limited snaps.

I think we'll definitely see Smith, Lawrence and Griffen on the field together a lot with one of them inside. Don't know if it will be Lawrence, though. I think both Smith and Griffen are better fits rushing from the tackle spot.