Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (9/18)

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Hey there, folks. It's been about 3 weeks since I posted one of these frankly, because the content wasn't that great and I've been listening to mostly the two big radio stations in DFW.

I was able to tune in for a few minutes this morning and grab today's segment on Jam Session, since we are actually discussing football instead of conjecture:

1. The OL has JJT worried, so he sent out a few text messages this week to see what's going on there. All of JJT's sources are indicating that the Tyron Smith injury is only a minor set-back and he should be a go to play in Atlanta, and his limited reps in practice are them trying to manage their way through it. Coincidentally, McCarthy and Jerry were a little coy today in regards to his status. Then JJT wanted to learn about Terrence Steele and boldly asked one of his sources "what the hell, man? You guys signed Erving to play swing tackle. Where is he at?" Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. The Cowboys were waiting and waiting for him to be a force in practice and it just never happened, and they like Steele's upside and think that he can play better while Collins is out. Erving simply is who he is. JJT likened it to a Madden rating. Steele might be a 62 right now, but he could be a 71 by the end of the season. Erving could be a 66 right now, but you know damn well he'll be a 66 by the end of the season. Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

Collins can't come back soon enough.

2. Jaylon was being coy with the media this week, as there seemed to be some confusion as to where he is going to lineup on Sunday afternoon. Slater, using one of her buzz words as JJT joked, asked him a few times for "clarity", to which Jaylon said "I'm a weak side linebacker that will call the plays." Which means Joe Thomas is likely going to be playing MLB this Sunday. JJT loved the move because it allows Jaylon to play to his strengths (though I'm still debating those 'strengths'). JJT thinks a lot of teams need a guy like Joe Thomas because he's a seasoned veteran who can answer the bell and step up and play whenever it's asked of him. He's good depth and he's way better in coverage than Jaylon. Either way, JJT put us all on notice on the air this morning that Joe Thomas is going to be a stud this season. I hope he's right.

3. A lot of stats were discussed here about first down, but the jist of it is that - yeah, Zeke looked great on Sunday night, but Dak was lethal throwing the ball on first downs. I believe the stat line was 13/15 for 100+ yards with a 100+ passer rating with an average attempt of around 9 yards per attempt. JJT is hyped about Zeke, and even boldly stated that he looks like "2016 Zeke" as of last Sunday, but the analytics are showing that we need to throw more to set up the run, on first down.

4. JJT mentioned the old rudimentary math that Parcells coined - the formula is 100 yards = 7 points. If you rack up 400 yards of offense, you need to score 28 points. The Cowboys achieved the results of this formula 8 times last season, and each game they won. When they didn't - you guessed it - they lost!

Last week, the Cowboys put up 380 yards and only put up 17 points and that's simply not enough. The team is built to win offensively, and that's how the funds are allocated. If this offense is dynamic and productive, we win football games. When they flounder, so does the team. In summation, score points and finish drives with touchdowns instead of field goals, turnovers, untimely sacks, penalties, and negative plays.

And that's all I got folks. Let's do it again next week.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of JJT but he really hits a homer in here today. I absolutely agree with everything that was stated, and it’s a travesty that we didn’t set the run up by passing on first down. Dak was awesome on that down, yes I know you have a workhorse back and want to use him, but you got a QB who was winning on that down.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He got hurt on a kick last Sunday yes.

I think JJT was curious why didn't start last Sunday.

It was rhetorical because it's a stupid question. It's a guy who's not even available now. Why is he spending the little amount of time he has with the team asking about backups who are out hurt. Just seems like an attempt to drum up BS and negativity.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
It was rhetorical because it's a stupid question. It's a guy who's not even available now. Why is he spending the little amount of time he has with the team asking about backups who are out hurt. Just seems like an attempt to drum up BS and negativity.
Not really. It's a relevant question. You have a tenured tackle who has played every position on the line and a Super Bowl champion sitting on the bench and you're starting an UDFA. It definitely creates a lot of speculation.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not really. It's a relevant question. You have a tenured tackle who has played every position on the line and a Super Bowl champion sitting on the bench and you're starting an UDFA. It definitely creates a lot of speculation.

Anyone who studied Cam Erving knows the Chiefs won in spite of him, so that's a little egregious. I also don't believe you weaken one position in the hopes of strengthening another.

But mostly my issue is JJT knows exactly where Erving is and exactly why. It was a setup.

fredp22

Reaction score
everyone is worried about OL- along with TE and LB

re 100 yards for 7 points-if Gallup catch wasn't called back and we go in we would have 24 points for 380 yards (matching the formula). That was a catch-refs bot Ramseys acting job

Creeper

Reaction score
I was just listening to NFL channel on Sirius radio before and they were talking about the Cowboys injuries. Of course the line was that every team has injuries and they manage to overcome them if they are a good team. This is nonsense. A team can overcome 1 injury or 2 to key starters, but there will be a drop off and more than 2 there will start to be a noticeable drop off. If the injuries are at the same position, it will be even more obvious. No team, for example, can sustain 3 injuries on the starting DL and expect to be as good as they were before the injuries unless their DL sucked to begin with. The same is true with the offensive line. Any team that loses two top starters on the OL has got to show some drop off. Lose both starting tackles and it could be a huge drop off. To expect the Cowboys offense to be the same after losing Smith and Collins on the OL is just silly.

Simple fact, teams today cannot have depth at every position. If you injuries hit you where you are thin then you will have problems.

"Depth is great until you have to use it."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey there, folks. It's been about 3 weeks since I posted one of these frankly, because the content wasn't that great and I've been listening to mostly the two big radio stations in DFW.

I was able to tune in for a few minutes this morning and grab today's segment on Jam Session, since we are actually discussing football instead of conjecture:

1. The OL has JJT worried, so he sent out a few text messages this week to see what's going on there. All of JJT's sources are indicating that the Tyron Smith injury is only a minor set-back and he should be a go to play in Atlanta, and his limited reps in practice are them trying to manage their way through it. Coincidentally, McCarthy and Jerry were a little coy today in regards to his status. Then JJT wanted to learn about Terrence Steele and boldly asked one of his sources "what the hell, man? You guys signed Erving to play swing tackle. Where is he at?" Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. The Cowboys were waiting and waiting for him to be a force in practice and it just never happened, and they like Steele's upside and think that he can play better while Collins is out. Erving simply is who he is. JJT likened it to a Madden rating. Steele might be a 62 right now, but he could be a 71 by the end of the season. Erving could be a 66 right now, but you know damn well he'll be a 66 by the end of the season. Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

Collins can't come back soon enough.

2. Jaylon was being coy with the media this week, as there seemed to be some confusion as to where he is going to lineup on Sunday afternoon. Slater, using one of her buzz words as JJT joked, asked him a few times for "clarity", to which Jaylon said "I'm a weak side linebacker that will call the plays." Which means Joe Thomas is likely going to be playing MLB this Sunday. JJT loved the move because it allows Jaylon to play to his strengths (though I'm still debating those 'strengths'). JJT thinks a lot of teams need a guy like Joe Thomas because he's a seasoned veteran who can answer the bell and step up and play whenever it's asked of him. He's good depth and he's way better in coverage than Jaylon. Either way, JJT put us all on notice on the air this morning that Joe Thomas is going to be a stud this season. I hope he's right.

3. A lot of stats were discussed here about first down, but the jist of it is that - yeah, Zeke looked great on Sunday night, but Dak was lethal throwing the ball on first downs. I believe the stat line was 13/15 for 100+ yards with a 100+ passer rating with an average attempt of around 9 yards per attempt. JJT is hyped about Zeke, and even boldly stated that he looks like "2016 Zeke" as of last Sunday, but the analytics are showing that we need to throw more to set up the run, on first down.

4. JJT mentioned the old rudimentary math that Parcells coined - the formula is 100 yards = 7 points. If you rack up 400 yards of offense, you need to score 28 points. The Cowboys achieved the results of this formula 8 times last season, and each game they won. When they didn't - you guessed it - they lost!

Last week, the Cowboys put up 380 yards and only put up 17 points and that's simply not enough. The team is built to win offensively, and that's how the funds are allocated. If this offense is dynamic and productive, we win football games. When they flounder, so does the team. In summation, score points and finish drives with touchdowns instead of field goals, turnovers, untimely sacks, penalties, and negative plays.

And that's all I got folks. Let's do it again next week.
  1. I think there was a lot of surprise and questions asked when it was announced that the team had signed Cam Erving. Moreso that they guaranteed him $2 million. At this point, people were right to have questions. The signing is a bust. At least, the third miss they've had in free agency.
  2. Jaylon is a strongside linebacker. He can move forward or rush the passer and that's about it. He lacks the instincts, recognition, and coverage ability to play on the weakside and it continues to show up.
  3. I thought Dak played well enough to get a win and the rest of his teammates (not named Zeke) let him down. His accuracy looks improved to me.
  4. Redzone issues continue? Color me surprised, especially with Williams and Looney out there.
As always, thanks for taking the time and effort to share these.
:thumbup:

Kaiser

Reaction score
As a poster who has been down on Zeke for over a year, I am encouraged by what I saw on Sunday.

A little more burst stood out to me, something I have been harping on since 2018.

Plus the updated offense is going to play to his strengths as a pass receiver.