Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (9/18)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HaHa and who else?

Edit: Poe, right?

McCoy busted due to injury.
HaHa never even made the team.
Erving got outplayed by an undrafted rookie free agent who struggled himself.

Yeah, Poe's the one where I think the jury is still out. He didn't impress me in his first game as a Cowboy. And Blake Bell as well, got jumped by Dalton Schultz, who had a lousy game himself. Even Griffen wasn't much of a factor Sunday Night. Free agency hasn't provided much, if any, help thus far, and two of the signees never played a regular season snap for the Cowboys, while a third played a few special teams snaps and that's it. I'd like to see how much guaranteed money they paid McCoy, Clinton-Dix, and Erving?

fivetwos

Reaction score
So Dix stinks in camp and gets cut.

Erving stinks in camp and doesnt.

Two major whiffs by the FO and its going to show on the field.

I don't know why I'm annoyed or surprised when the FO is a non qualified old guy and his kid.

Bargain bin shopping for you.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McCoy busted due to injury.
HaHa never even made the team.
Erving got outplayed by an undrafted rookie free agent who struggled himself.

Yeah, Poe's the one where I think the jury is still out. He didn't impress me in his first game as a Cowboy. And Blake Bell as well, got jumped by Dalton Schultz, who had a lousy game himself. Even Griffen wasn't much of a factor Sunday Night. Free agency hasn't provided much, if any, help thus far, and two of the signees never played a regular season snap for the Cowboys, while a third played a few special teams snaps and that's it. I'd like to see how much guaranteed money they paid McCoy, Clinton-Dix, and Erving?
Think it was roughly 2M each

fivetwos

Reaction score
They don't sign the better free agents because they want to keep their own.

Couple that with not drafting as well as they want to tell themselves.

Theres people running the team that arent qualified to run a team.

It starts and ends there.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hey there, folks. It's been about 3 weeks since I posted one of these frankly, because the content wasn't that great and I've been listening to mostly the two big radio stations in DFW.

I was able to tune in for a few minutes this morning and grab today's segment on Jam Session, since we are actually discussing football instead of conjecture:

1. The OL has JJT worried, so he sent out a few text messages this week to see what's going on there. All of JJT's sources are indicating that the Tyron Smith injury is only a minor set-back and he should be a go to play in Atlanta, and his limited reps in practice are them trying to manage their way through it. Coincidentally, McCarthy and Jerry were a little coy today in regards to his status.

Then JJT wanted to learn about Terrence Steele and boldly asked one of his sources "what the hell, man? You guys signed Erving to play swing tackle. Where is he at?"

Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. The Cowboys were waiting and waiting for him to be a force in practice and it just never happened, and they like Steele's upside and think that he can play better while Collins is out.

Erving simply is who he is. JJT likened it to a Madden rating. Steele might be a 62 right now, but he could be a 71 by the end of the season. Erving could be a 66 right now, but you know damn well he'll be a 66 by the end of the season. Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

Collins can't come back soon enough.

2. Jaylon was being coy with the media this week, as there seemed to be some confusion as to where he is going to lineup on Sunday afternoon. Slater, using one of her buzz words as JJT joked, asked him a few times for "clarity", to which Jaylon said "I'm a weak side linebacker that will call the plays." Which means Joe Thomas is likely going to be playing MLB this Sunday.
JJT loved the move because it allows Jaylon to play to his strengths (though I'm still debating those 'strengths'). JJT thinks a lot of teams need a guy like Joe Thomas because he's a seasoned veteran who can answer the bell and step up and play whenever it's asked of him. He's good depth and he's way better in coverage than Jaylon. Either way, JJT put us all on notice on the air this morning that Joe Thomas is going to be a stud this season. I hope he's right.

3. A lot of stats were discussed here about first down, but the jist of it is that - yeah, Zeke looked great on Sunday night, but Dak was lethal throwing the ball on first downs. I believe the stat line was 13/15 for 100+ yards with a 100+ passer rating with an average attempt of around 9 yards per attempt. JJT is hyped about Zeke, and even boldly stated that he looks like "2016 Zeke" as of last Sunday, but the analytics are showing that we need to throw more to set up the run, on first down.

4. JJT mentioned the old rudimentary math that Parcells coined - the formula is 100 yards = 7 points. If you rack up 400 yards of offense, you need to score 28 points. The Cowboys achieved the results of this formula 8 times last season, and each game they won. When they didn't - you guessed it - they lost!

Last week, the Cowboys put up 380 yards and only put up 17 points and that's simply not enough. The team is built to win offensively, and that's how the funds are allocated. If this offense is dynamic and productive, we win football games. When they flounder, so does the team. In summation, score points and finish drives with touchdowns instead of field goals, turnovers, untimely sacks, penalties, and negative plays.

And that's all I got folks. Let's do it again next week.

As always - Thanks so very much for Sharing .. .

1) Young buck or not, potential or not , the fact that Philibin went with super raw, zero NFL game experience, undrafted rookie Steele
who had a struggling camp at that ..over vet Cam Erving, tends to let me know how down the coaches are on Erving himself.
i would not be surprised if he is eventually cut-release at some point. We whiffed badly with this vet FA.

2) uh oh, .. Jaylon is still calling the signals and counted on to place teammates in position ? And he is the one that is " Always " out of
position and either getting fooled & suckered on misdirection or running around/getting stuck on blocks ?
That alone should tell me all the problems we have "at a troublesome LB unit. I thought LVE moving to Mike and new coaching would make him
the lead dog. ..but ( sigh)

3) People want so much hope and hype for a true 2016 zeke return, that they are anointing him as such. When i see those several
patented 20-40 and homerun hits and hurdles that Zeke placed a stamp on NFL his rookie... then i'll be more of a hell-yeah " elated
about a 2016 Zeke reboot.

4) Parcells theory .. 400 yards- 28 points blah blah, blah ...Kellen seems conservative On the Road vs better teams/Much more Aggressive at Home
regardless of foes,..needs to be pedal to meddle all times , needs exclude 1st down run tendencies, and needs to find better ways
RB splash plays vs pass, and needs to find more ways-plays for Pollard.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this on weekly basis . I really do appreciate it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Kellen Moore wants to avoid being as predictable as he was under JG, he'd likely be well-advised to call more passing plays on 1st down. He'll never get out of the rut of being predicable if he continues on the path that he's following at present. Hopefully, he'll grow a pair and adjust. We'll see.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore wants to avoid being as predictable as he was under JG, he'd likely be well-advised to call more passing plays on 1st down. He'll never get out of the rut of being predicable if he continues on the path that he's following at present. Hopefully, he'll grow a pair and adjust. We'll see.
Nope.

Run on 1st down.

If less than 4 yards, auto pass on 2nd down.

All leads to an inevitable pass on 3rd down.

This is what we do, we dont care who knows it. If we didnt win, we need to execute better.

We still have a Garrett offense in here because of a pandemic. No other team had to deal with that.

Next winter we will hear all about MMs input in the offense and how much better it will be.

2021 season tickets on sale. Get your 88Lamb jersey also.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hey there, folks. It's been about 3 weeks since I posted one of these frankly, because the content wasn't that great and I've been listening to mostly the two big radio stations in DFW.

I was able to tune in for a few minutes this morning and grab today's segment on Jam Session, since we are actually discussing football instead of conjecture:

1. The OL has JJT worried, so he sent out a few text messages this week to see what's going on there. All of JJT's sources are indicating that the Tyron Smith injury is only a minor set-back and he should be a go to play in Atlanta, and his limited reps in practice are them trying to manage their way through it. Coincidentally, McCarthy and Jerry were a little coy today in regards to his status. Then JJT wanted to learn about Terrence Steele and boldly asked one of his sources "what the hell, man? You guys signed Erving to play swing tackle. Where is he at?" Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. The Cowboys were waiting and waiting for him to be a force in practice and it just never happened, and they like Steele's upside and think that he can play better while Collins is out. Erving simply is who he is. JJT likened it to a Madden rating. Steele might be a 62 right now, but he could be a 71 by the end of the season. Erving could be a 66 right now, but you know damn well he'll be a 66 by the end of the season. Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

Collins can't come back soon enough.

2. Jaylon was being coy with the media this week, as there seemed to be some confusion as to where he is going to lineup on Sunday afternoon. Slater, using one of her buzz words as JJT joked, asked him a few times for "clarity", to which Jaylon said "I'm a weak side linebacker that will call the plays." Which means Joe Thomas is likely going to be playing MLB this Sunday. JJT loved the move because it allows Jaylon to play to his strengths (though I'm still debating those 'strengths'). JJT thinks a lot of teams need a guy like Joe Thomas because he's a seasoned veteran who can answer the bell and step up and play whenever it's asked of him. He's good depth and he's way better in coverage than Jaylon. Either way, JJT put us all on notice on the air this morning that Joe Thomas is going to be a stud this season. I hope he's right.

3. A lot of stats were discussed here about first down, but the jist of it is that - yeah, Zeke looked great on Sunday night, but Dak was lethal throwing the ball on first downs. I believe the stat line was 13/15 for 100+ yards with a 100+ passer rating with an average attempt of around 9 yards per attempt. JJT is hyped about Zeke, and even boldly stated that he looks like "2016 Zeke" as of last Sunday, but the analytics are showing that we need to throw more to set up the run, on first down.

4. JJT mentioned the old rudimentary math that Parcells coined - the formula is 100 yards = 7 points. If you rack up 400 yards of offense, you need to score 28 points. The Cowboys achieved the results of this formula 8 times last season, and each game they won. When they didn't - you guessed it - they lost!

Last week, the Cowboys put up 380 yards and only put up 17 points and that's simply not enough. The team is built to win offensively, and that's how the funds are allocated. If this offense is dynamic and productive, we win football games. When they flounder, so does the team. In summation, score points and finish drives with touchdowns instead of field goals, turnovers, untimely sacks, penalties, and negative plays.

And that's all I got folks. Let's do it again next week.
here is the problem. Joe Thomas is the best of the worst. When we find ourselves leaning on him, we are in some trouble. Loved how he played last game in comparison to the others in that group. But he still leaves alot to be desired. He will need to be really good and not miss his reads. He needs to build off of last week,and keep tackling. Filling the run gaps should be priority 1. Jaylon calling the plays scares me. He doesnt seem to have the instincts to call the right plays. Hope I am wrong. Love Steele and his upside. He's learning how to be a pro and starter at RT. Good for him. That said, he will struggle at times and have decent plays too. The offense last week didnt have enough possessions to score more. Thats on the defense. Tyron at 80% is better than most at LT...but again, he will get exposed this week because he is facing a speedy defense with good edge guys. We better have a great gameplan.Lastly, are we REALLY putting our eggs into the "La'el Collins coming back at full strength" basket? That is a fools errand IMO. He came in woefully out of shape and rarely do players get back into game shape IN SEASON. I wouldn't hold my breath. We better have a run heavy game plan this week, and run lots of RPO'S for Dak. Its the only chance we have to win...keep the D off the field and run clock. We don't need Dak passing over 30 times and expect him to not be killed. We will lose if that is the case. I would roll Dak out alot like the Rams did with Goff against us. Its safe and effective. Our oline wont need to hold blocks long. I do not want Dak sitting in the pocket very much. Lets hope MM realizes this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nope.

Run on 1st down.

If less than 4 yards, auto pass on 2nd down.

All leads to an inevitable pass on 3rd down.

This is what we do, we dont care who knows it. If we didnt win, we need to execute better.

We still have a Garrett offense in here because of a pandemic. No other team had to deal with that.

Next winter we will hear all about MMs input in the offense and how much better it will be.

2021 season tickets on sale. Get your 88Lamb jersey also.

Thanks, JG -- glad you could join the discussion. I hope you do better with the Giants than you did with us but I seriously doubt it.

pansophy

Reaction score
Make a missed FG and take a FG instead of going for it on 4th down and we are about at the 7 points per 100 yard formula.

bodi

Reaction score
Jaylon is a strongside linebacker. He can move forward or rush the passer and that's about it. He lacks the instincts, recognition, and coverage ability to play on the weakside and it continues to show up.

this

fivetwos

Reaction score
F Jerry and his clown show already.

Get it right and beat Atlanta at home like you're supposed to.

This FO makes a TON of mistakes, including not hiring the right coaches. Cant do that and still expect to win.

Do it or dont. I'm good either rooting for the team to win or Jerry to be in a box. Only difference is I'm not sure the latter means much anymore. The entitled kid isnt much different.

75boyz

Reaction score
F Jerry and his clown show already.

Get it right and beat Atlanta at home like you're supposed to.

This FO makes a TON of mistakes, including not hiring the right coaches. Cant do that and still expect to win.

Do it or dont. I'm good either rooting for the team to win or Jerry to be in a box. Only difference is I'm not sure the latter means much anymore. The entitled kid isnt much different.

Good post. I enjoy your raw, unfiltered opinion shared here and agree with it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My first major disappointment with this staff.......you don't wait until bullets start flying to a FINAL evaluation on a low-level free agent. If he didn't impress you during training camp, why in the world would you think he'd be better in a live regular-season game. In other words, you wasted X-numbers of reps on this guy that you could have given Steele.

1. The OL has JJT worried, so he sent out a few text messages this week to see what's going on there. All of JJT's sources are indicating that the Tyron Smith injury is only a minor set-back and he should be a go to play in Atlanta, and his limited reps in practice are them trying to manage their way through it. Coincidentally, McCarthy and Jerry were a little coy today in regards to his status. Then JJT wanted to learn about Terrence Steele and boldly asked one of his sources "what the hell, man? You guys signed Erving to play swing tackle. Where is he at?" Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. The Cowboys were waiting and waiting for him to be a force in practice and it just never happened, and they like Steele's upside and think that he can play better while Collins is out. Erving simply is who he is. JJT likened it to a Madden rating. Steele might be a 62 right now, but he could be a 71 by the end of the season. Erving could be a 66 right now, but you know damn well he'll be a 66 by the end of the season. Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
1. Where is he at?" Source kind of punted the question, so JJT rephrased and asked "Was it something that Steele did show you, or was it something that Erving didn't show you?" to which the source stated "the latter." Erving just failed to impress in camp. ...Erving could step up and get back into good graces with this coaching staff, but for now, it sounds like Steele is their guy.

I want to hear why *not* Knight. Thought he was at least as good last year as we saw from Steele. Knight should only be better this year. Especially at RT.

So many weird things I don't like about what Philbin is doing with the oline this year. At least Looney held up pretty well relative to the problems Williams and Martin had. Much better than Williams, only a little less than Martin. That encourages me about Looney.

Though maybe much of that was just Williams looking awful.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The team is built to win offensively, and that's how the funds are allocated. If this offense is dynamic and productive, we win football games. When they flounder, so does the team.
:hammer:

This is what I've been saying quite awhile. We've built this team on offense. We haven't built it on defense. So we're expecting our offense to carry the team. The defense held the Rams to 20 points. Our offense is capable (based on draft picks) of getting more than 17 points.

This loss is squarely on the offense, and Dak, who is responsible for making the offense go.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think generally..Inside the Star...they are shock and awed like usual that their plan "whatever it was" didn't work.. I think most fans are saying "game is up". Time to change tactics *******s. I saw every facet of fan that was like WTH after this past week. Everything looked identical or worse form 2-3 years ago. It's gotta go. We need different happenings.

75boyz

Reaction score
:hammer:

This is what I've been saying quite awhile. We've built this team on offense. We haven't built it on defense. So we're expecting our offense to carry the team. The defense held the Rams to 20 points. Our offense is capable (based on draft picks) of getting more than 17 points.

This loss is squarely on the offense, and Dak, who is responsible for making the offense go.

Exactly. Every last word of this. It really is this simple and yet all the excuses year after year after year.

The predictability of the excuse making posts and who will make them here are as easy to predict as the Cowboys play call strategy under Garrett, ahem, err...Moore... or is it McCarthy?
Oh...whoever! lol. :)