Twitter: Joe Judge, Giants Offense to be Based Largely on Jason Garrett’s Offense in Dallas

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the story. Do they think they brought in Garrett to run the triple option?

Of course the offense will like his in Dallas.

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious.
Here’s a decent discussion on the topic. Surprisingly, everybody here sounds a lot like Idgit.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Jason Garrett called the plays for Dallas from 2007-2012. Here is how the Cowboys offense ranked during those seasons:
  • 2007 - 3rd
  • 2008 - 13th
  • 2009 - 2nd
  • 2010 - 7th
  • 2011 - 11th
  • 2012 - 6th
Average NFL rank of Jason Garrett led offenses - 7th

After Garrett stopped calling the plays, here is how the Cowboys offenses were ranked the next 6 seasons:
  • 2013 - 16th
  • 2014 - 7th
  • 2015 - 22nd
  • 2016 - 5th
  • 2017 - 14th
  • 2018 - 22nd
Average NFL rank after Garrett stopped calling plays, and before Kellen Moore - 14th

Be careful what you wish for when gloating about Garrett led offenses. When he was calling the plays, the Cowboys were significantly better than when he wasn't calling the plays. And Garrett convinced the Giants to go all-in on drafting young offensive line talent this year to go along with a young QB and star RB. Obviously, Garrett was overmatched as a Head Coach. But he's a more than competent offensive coordinator.

And here's the reason Mike McCarthy retained Kellen Moore as his offensive coordinator:
  • 2019 - 1st
Good post, I do not like Garrett, and much as a person or a coach, but this is pretty interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to compile the info.

Big_D

Reaction score
Gotta laugh at the ridiculous top 10 rankings. They're very misleading. They were a top 10 passing offense. Some act like Romo, T.O. and Witten would've been lost without Garrett?? lol You would think with those rankings they might've actually won playoff games?? NOPE

Here's some real rankings.

RUSHING TDS
2006 3rd pre Garrett
2007 10th
2008 22nd
2009 17th
2010 21st
2011 30th
2012 27th

This is what putting all the pressure on your QB looks like.

You see how good they actually were before Garrett got here. He took over a dam good offense. Then slowly turned them into bottom feeders in a very key area. But people will point to yards to show his 'greatness'. That top 10 ranking is what it looks like when your QB bails you out on a regular basis. By the time 2009 rolled around and they got spanked by Minnesota you saw Garretts real offense. Then just complete garbage by 2010. 3 years.. that's all it took. A true offensive genius.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The guy was unemployed for two or three days, and then took an OC gig. That’s a fairly common path for recently unemployed HCs. You can’t say there wasn’t any interest.
I said there wasn't any interest besides the Giants. Fill me in, what other team had interest in him?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said there wasn't any interest besides the Giants. Fill me in, what other team had interest in him?

You only need one. If you have it within days, it doesn’t necessarily become public whether you had others. Unless you have specific reason to believe the other 30 didn’t?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
meh, he was better as an oc, head coaching was over his head. he might do okay at just one job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Garrett called the plays for Dallas from 2007-2012. Here is how the Cowboys offense ranked during those seasons:
  • 2007 - 3rd
  • 2008 - 13th
  • 2009 - 2nd
  • 2010 - 7th
  • 2011 - 11th
  • 2012 - 6th
Average NFL rank of Jason Garrett led offenses - 7th

After Garrett stopped calling the plays, here is how the Cowboys offenses were ranked the next 6 seasons:
  • 2013 - 16th
  • 2014 - 7th
  • 2015 - 22nd
  • 2016 - 5th
  • 2017 - 14th
  • 2018 - 22nd
Average NFL rank after Garrett stopped calling plays, and before Kellen Moore - 14th

Be careful what you wish for when gloating about Garrett led offenses. When he was calling the plays, the Cowboys were significantly better than when he wasn't calling the plays. And Garrett convinced the Giants to go all-in on drafting young offensive line talent this year to go along with a young QB and star RB. Obviously, Garrett was overmatched as a Head Coach. But he's a more than competent offensive coordinator.

And here's the reason Mike McCarthy retained Kellen Moore as his offensive coordinator:
  • 2019 - 1st

Everyone reading should take note that these are yardage rankings, not scoring rankings. Last time I checked, the team with the most points wins the game.

Here are the scoring rankings, for the purposes of accuracy:
  • 2006 - 4th Parcells and company had taken the offense here from it being terrible before
  • 2007 - Garrett 'took them' all the way to 2nd Is that a huge jump to anyone?
  • 2008 - 18th Garrett in full effect
  • 2009 - 14th
  • 2010 - 7th
  • 2011 - 15th
  • 2012 - 15th
  • 2013 - 5th with Garrett removed
  • 2014 - 5th with Garrett removed
His average for scoring offense ranks 12th. Given the offensive talent that he had, and what was invested, 12th is no accomplishment.

Big_D

Reaction score
Everyone reading should take note that these are yardage rankings, not scoring rankings. Last time I checked, the team with the most points wins the game.

Here are the scoring rankings, for the purposes of accuracy:
  • 2006 - 4th Parcells and company had taken the offense here from it being terrible before
  • 2007 - Garrett 'took them' all the way to 2nd Is that a huge jump to anyone?
  • 2008 - 18th Garrett in full effect
  • 2009 - 14th
  • 2010 - 7th
  • 2011 - 15th
  • 2012 - 15th
  • 2013 - 5th with Garrett removed
  • 2014 - 5th with Garrett removed
His average for scoring offense ranks 12th. Given the offensive talent that he had, and what was invested, 12th is no accomplishment.

yardage rankings are a joke. It’s weird since scoring is what wins football games! It’s like Winston leading the league in yards. Means absolutely nothing. Same thing with this clown and his “top 10” offense. Nothing but a facade! When push came to shove, he was routinely shoved! Soft coach, soft team!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yardage rankings are a joke. It’s weird since scoring is what wins football games! It’s like Winston leading the league in yards. Means absolutely nothing. Same thing with this clown and his “top 10” offense. Nothing but a facade! When push came to shove, he was routinely shoved! Soft coach, soft team!

Inexcusable to me when your team has invested so heavily in the offensive line and running back. Short yardage and scoring should be among your biggest strengths and it has been just the opposite for this team. Even last year, with that '#1 offensive ranking", the team was still only 6th in scoring. It's always been the same since Garrett has been here, a whole bunch of yards that don't translate into points. And ultimately losing games you should have won.

That's his 'legacy'.

And it's hilarious how those who still try to make excuses for him try to tell half-truths and manipulate the numbers to make him look better than he ever truly was.

Big_D

Reaction score
Inexcusable to me when your team has invested so heavily in the offensive line and running back. Short yardage and scoring should be among your biggest strengths and it has been just the opposite for this team. Even last year, with that '#1 offensive ranking", the team was still only 6th in scoring. It's always been the same since Garrett has been here, a whole bunch of yards that don't translate into points. And ultimately losing games you should have won.

That's his 'legacy'.

And it's hilarious how those who still try to make excuses for him try to tell half-truths and manipulate the numbers to make him look better than he ever truly was.

It’s actually sad to still hear some “Cowboy fans” talk about what a great OC he was! Some need to go re watch that Viking playoff game! A coaching embarrassment that sums up his amazing offense! But I’m sure they put up yards! lol Funny cause even by the end of 2009 you expected it. Wasn’t even a surprise that they didn’t show up!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s actually sad to still hear some “Cowboy fans” talk about what a great OC he was! Some need to go re watch that Viking playoff game! A coaching embarrassment that sums up his amazing offense! But I’m sure they put up yards! lol Funny cause even by the end of 2009 you expected it. Wasn’t even a surprise that they didn’t show up!

There is some sort of a natural fan instinct to feel compelled to defend anything and anyone related to the Cowboys. Some feel the need to rush to the defense and make everything appear better and less terrible than it truly was. And many who tried to defend Garrett for the 10-years-plus that he was here can't bring themselves to admit that they were wrong about him. Or the fact that he never deserved to be a head coach in the first place. And that Jerry Jones wasted a decade in realizing that 'his Tom Landry' was never going to happen.

It took the owner himself a decade before he could make the tough decision. And even then, it was handled incredibly awkwardly, to an embarrassing degree. The first step in correcting a mistake is admitting you made one in the first place. Sometimes that incredibly hard for people to do.

Big_D

Reaction score
There is some sort of a natural fan instinct to feel compelled to defend anything and anyone related to the Cowboys. Some feel the need to rush to the defense and make everything appear better and less terrible than it truly was. And many who tried to defend Garrett for the 10-years-plus that he was here can't bring themselves to admit that they were wrong about him. Or the fact that he never deserved to be a head coach in the first place. And that Jerry Jones wasted a decade in realizing that 'his Tom Landry' was never going to happen.

It took the owner himself a decade before he could make the tough decision. And even then, it was handled incredibly awkwardly, to an embarrassing degree. The first step in correcting a mistake is admitting you made one in the first place. Sometimes that incredibly hard for people to do.

but they don’t do that with other coaches?! 13 years of crap. And people still build him up while pointing the finger in every other direction. Jerry, Wade, Campo, Gailey, Switzer, Linehan, Marinelli, Rob Ryan etc all sucked, Garret on the other hand.. great OC! lol it’s pretty ridiculous after watching his teams fold year after year after year...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but they don’t do that with other coaches?! 13 years of crap. And people still build him up while pointing the finger in every other direction. Jerry, Wade, Campo, Gailey, Switzer, Linehan, Marinelli, Rob Ryan etc all sucked, Garret on the other hand.. great OC! lol it’s pretty ridiculous after watching his teams fold year after year after year...

I think it's the packaging. And the fact that Garrett is actually a good guy as a person. It makes him more appealing for anyone wishing to defend him. I can recognize his good qualities while still criticizing his lack of accomplishments. Just because he is a good person doesn't absolve him in not being a good coach or coordinator. I can separate the two things.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think it's the packaging. And the fact that Garrett is actually a good guy as a person. It makes him more appealing for anyone wishing to defend him. I can recognize his good qualities while still criticizing his lack of accomplishments. Just because he is a good person doesn't absolve him in not being a good coach or coordinator. I can separate the two things.

You have to separate. I’m sure Jerry’s a good person! Even crap coaches are good people! It’s one thing to root hard for a situation cause you want to see it succeed. it’s another to ignore the actual results after the fact. Bad coach, but what an amazing human being! lol campo was a nice guy! Garrett’s boyish charm is that it? Crazy talk when this is a business about winning!! A lot of nice people in all walks of life not so great at their jobs!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to separate. I’m sure Jerry’s a good person! Even crap coaches are good people! It’s one thing to root hard for a situation cause you want to see it succeed. it’s another to ignore the actual results after the fact. Bad coach, but what an amazing human being! lol campo was a nice guy! Garrett’s boyish charm is that it? Crazy talk when this is a business about winning!! A lot of nice people in all walks of life not so great at their jobs!

I agree, but not everyone can separate it.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Actually, I feel like he would insert a new wrinkle in his offense every off-season. Usually, they would be really good for 3-4 games until the defenses caught on. What Garrett was unable to do was adjust within the season. Maybe he'll be better at adjusting because now he only has to coordinate. It will be interesting to watch, for sure.

It will be ironic when garrett turns out to be an innovator on the level of Landry.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Is Garrett going to be the OC in the booth or on the field?

I'm concerned that if he claps too much in the booth, he might accidentally knock over his soda.

Techsass

Reaction score
Based off 2019 offense = Moore's offense

What stuck out to me was "Though Kellem Moore held the title of offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett's fingerprints were indeed all over the offensive structure for Dallas in 2019". According to a lot of CZ posters Jason got tired of letting Kellen have control of his offense.