Twitter: Joe Judge, Giants Offense to be Based Largely on Jason Garrett’s Offense in Dallas

aria

Reaction score
Evan Engram’s talent will be wasted in the new Giants offense. Garrett’s dependency on in-line TEs virtually guarantees it.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Engram is dealt before the trade deadline at a fire sale rate, a la the Bears with Greg Olsen once they realized he was the square peg in Mike Martz’s round hole system.
Engram could never stay healthy long enough to see what he could really do, just flashes.

aria

Reaction score
Eh, Giants are a hot mess. A horrendous GM, another Bill Billichick disciple who has never coached anything above special teams (never works out), a defensive coordinator that had one of the last ranked defenses in the league (granted it was Miami but still), an ex HC in Freddy Kitchens who is now a positional coach, and Jason Garrett (another ex HC who may be their best asset).

They had one of the worst O lines in the league and they’re defense was almost dead last. They have a 2nd year QB, a RB that is great if he stays healthy and has room to run and no true number 1 WR. They’ll be lucky to win 5 games this year.

IIRC, Vegas has them favored in 2 or 3 games this season. Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!! That’s good stuff.

aria

Reaction score
Injury prone or not, Evan Engram is their best skill position player not named Saquan Barkley.
And that’s pathetic. I would argue Daniel Jones is better if he protects the ball, especially since last year was his first year and I think Xavier McKinney could be a stud, I wasn’t happy when they drafted him.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Actually, I feel like he would insert a new wrinkle in his offense every off-season. Usually, they would be really good for 3-4 games until the defenses caught on. What Garrett was unable to do was adjust within the season. Maybe he'll be better at adjusting because now he only has to coordinate. It will be interesting to watch, for sure.

Nailed it.

He had a few tricks up his sleeve, but once they were figured out that was the end of that.

The delayed draw worked beautifully those last few weeks in 2009. But when we went to Minny, they were ready for it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
What does everyone think they hired him for? He was brought there to rebuild the offensive line and the running game. The giants have not had a dependable one this entire past decade.

They brought him and columbo for this specific purpose. Run the ball.

I imagine this first season they will do just that under garrett. They have a couple of decent wr and one young wr that looks to be very good in Darius Slayton.

They will win and lose based on their defense just like all teams but the offense should be very good.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still think their O line will be light years behind us for another year or two but they should be slightly better at least with Thomas.

Solder still sucks, Hernandez regressed, they didn’t do anything with center, Zeitler was good but not as good as many thought and the RT they drafted is more of a project from my understanding.

They also have no true #1 receiver and the receivers they do have are on injury or one concussion from being out of the league, minus Slayton who surprised a lot of people. I was actually shocked and happy they didn’t address receiver in the draft or FA.

Overall, I do agree with you, I just don’t think it will happen this year.

I hope you are right. The last thing we need is to face a power running team lead by Barkley. He was there only threat last year and broke off a 70 yard run., let's not get that going.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
What does everyone think they hired him for? He was brought there to rebuild the offensive line and the running game. The giants have not had a dependable one this entire past decade.

They brought him and columbo for this specific purpose. Run the ball.

I imagine this first season they will do just that under garrett. They have a couple of decent wr and one young wr that looks to be very good in Darius Slayton.

They will win and lose based on their defense just like all teams but the offense should be very good.

I think you're right that they want to establish the run game and is a big reason they brought Garrett in.

Ironically, neither guy is responsible for the OL's cultivation and gold standard reputation. Bill Callahan and Frank Pollack were the guys that really had our OL humming from 2013-2016.

2013 was still a pass heavy year for us, but the run game was actually 5th in DVOA. It was just underutilized under Red.

What really changed the team's identity was Romo's back injury in Washington late that year.

If not for that, Garrett would not have the reputation of a run heavy coach and I don't think he really brings any real expertise to the table in that regard.

817Gill

Reaction score
Garrett to Daniel Jones at first practice: you are saying Omaha, Omaha too quickly. You need to wait until the play clock is at 2 before screaming. Let’s do it again. And put a little diaphragm into it. Don’t worry it is a process and we will stack one after another.
Always sooooo close to delay of game

aria

Reaction score
I hope you are right. The last thing we need is to face a power running team lead by Barkley. He was there only threat last year and broke off a 70 yard run., let's not get that going.
No doubt Thomas is an upgrade but for the entire line to improve, Solder has to get A LOT better and he’s already in his early 30’s I think. Hernandez also has to get much better, he played very good his first year but regressed horribly last year and would be a bust if he continues to play like that. No idea what they plan on doing at center, Halapio sucked when he was healthy, Zeitler wasn’t bad and they have no definitive answer for right tackle (unless they move Solder over and put Thomas at left which they very well may do since Thomas is will be the future LT).

As you said, I hope I’m right, lol.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Several years of Garrett plotting to get rid of Judge and doing it with stealth?

Gy3PtMY.gif

twc562

Reaction score
I think you're right that they want to establish the run game and is a big reason they brought Garrett in.

Ironically, neither guy is responsible for the OL's cultivation and gold standard reputation. Bill Callahan and Frank Pollack were the guys that really had our OL humming from 2013-2016.

2013 was still a pass heavy year for us, but the run game was actually 5th in DVOA. It was just underutilized under Red.

What really changed the team's identity was Romo's back injury in Washington late that year.

If not for that, Garrett would not have the reputation of a run heavy coach and I don't think he really brings any real expertise to the table in that regard.
100% agree,

I think the team realized Romo could not stand back and pass 40 times a game. His body simply could not hold up to that.

Which makes 2015 even that much more perplexing. I'm sure they realized Romo could not take a lot of hits, however, they rolled into that season relying on Joseph randle.

I'd be very nervous if I was a Giants fan, a telling moment to Garret's philosophy was on an episode of "All or Nothing" in his own way he basically decried the Rams offensive style as que the "circus music" which is just a window into his football philosophy.

Even getting fired from DAL won't change that, because one on one football is what he's all about.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
His offenses in Dallas were efficient, but they had to have superior talent.

Efficient? How could you even quantify what an efficient Jason Garrett offense looks like? Garrett sucked as an OC. He sucked as a HC. He will most definitely suck in NY with inferior talent. What he does excel at is duplicity. I feel sorry for Judge. Garrett is going poison the well for that guy. Judge was insane to hire Garrett.

Great for Dallas though!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I love how the idea of stopping a Garrett offense will somehow be an impediment.

Did I miss the last decade of his offenses terrorizing the NFL?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He will have them playing a 50/50 brand of football so they will get early results..

The problem is if they ever build the team up and get quality talent and he is still only putting that team in a 50/50 situation.

Dude is awful and Dallas should dominate the Giants.. Guys like Lee should put players in position to know every play.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Giants they will improve this year tremendously

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
This is going to be an interesting season in the NFC East if this season actually happens. This is one good story line.