Joe Judge - Wade Phillips all over again

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes I do, and you can go through my post history where I was calling his offense out.

You lost me........Our offense was top 3 with him as OC ( 2007 ). In fact, he turned down I believe 1, maybe 2 interviews for HC as an OC. So what were you calling out ........curious

Big_D

Reaction score
It certainly doesn’t help.

But Romo was also an undisciplined player and acted like he had nothing to learn from coaches. The proof of that was in the first few weeks of 2014 season. I don’t think he would’ve won a single Super Bowl even if he played with the best HC (Belichick). Too many careless risks.

He was 34 at that time. Now tell me about the 7 years before that. One ridiculous move after another from the front office. That includes the coaching hires in 2007. It was a complete joke. Those 7 years in between 07 and 14 we're a disaster strictly based on FO decisions. Romo was 27 ready for a run in 2007 and Jerry pulled the rug right out from underneath him with his usual stupidity. Starting with Garrett and Phillips.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett still getting the “personnel” and “assistant coaches fault” excuses. Lmao.

One thing to note: Garrett can’t get good assistant coaches because good assistant coaches don’t want to work for him because they know he stinks. So he is stuck using “his guys”

His last year as our head coach we had a freaking scout as our special teams coordinator for crying out loud.

Dooley was a hand picked Garrett guy, who was replaced by Sanjay Lal here.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...oe-judge-tennessee-football-coach/4589845002/

Joe Judge had to fire Columbo mid way of last season and reports were that he took over the RG coaching from Garrett, so the went from like last to 24th or so.

Dooley was hired as a senior offensive assistant to Garrett.

lkelly

Reaction score
Garrett is fired before they bench DJ. Just like with respect to the Jones family, Garrett has connections to the Mara family through his father, going years back.

But NY-media is not the same as Dallas. And they were calling for his head last year.
I don't think Garrett makes it to the end of the season, but I also think the whole coaching staff is gone by January. As for Jones, he's in his contract year next season. Do you think a new staff/GM is going to sign off on giving him $30M+ as a starter? I'm pretty sure that this offseason is the year they decide to cut bait because they are implicitly commited if he's on the roster next fall. You either extend him before his last year or you are walking down a lame duck hallway. He plays great and you have to go Franchise Tag or compete with every other needy team. He plays like Daniel Jones and you've set back your rebuilding yet another year. I think it's Sam Darnold cut bait time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Because they got a new coach and had problems offensively already. Nobody disputes their offense was mediocre, it went from mediocre to “Jason Garrett” levels of ineptitude. That’s the point.

The random casual who didn’t see what the unbiased Cowboy fans saw thought Garrett was going to develop a promising QB in Jones. They saw what was basically built in Dallas after Garrett’s demotion from play calling duties and influence, as part of Garrett’s work.

What is happening in NY land basically is shining proof that Garrett set this franchise back years and was one of Jones worst decisions ever. Careers like Romo and Witten were wasted. In fact, it is worse than choosing Greg Ellis over Randy Moss.

I get it ( don't agree with it all ) but you can't be serious........LOL

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly..

Jones got worse the moment Garrett came here. Jones threw for 24 TDs and 12 INTs and over 3000 yards in 12 starts his first year here. In 14 games with Garrett, in an extra game, he threw only 11 TDs, meaning 13 TD drop while increasing his game output by 2.

Facts that apologists either don’t know or try to ignore. There’s no ‘blaming players’ any longer. It’s this specific fraud of a ‘coach’.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett makes it to the end of the season, but I also think the whole coaching staff is gone by January. As for Jones, he's in his contract year next season. Do you think a new staff/GM is going to sign off on giving him $30M+ as a starter? I'm pretty sure that this offseason is the year they decide to cut bait because they are implicitly commited if he's on the roster next fall. You either extend him before his last year or you are walking down a lame duck hallway. He plays great and you have to go Franchise Tag or compete with every other needy team. He plays like Daniel Jones and you've set back your rebuilding yet another year. I think it's Sam Darnold cut bait time.

If they hire a new staff, they’ll probably give him the year to see how he will do. And then decide if he’s coachable to a franchise level QB. The timing to fire the staff is ripe though and start afresh to draft a QB is that’s the route they want to go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You lost me........Our offense was top 3 with him as OC ( 2007 ). In fact, he turned down I believe 1, maybe 2 interviews for HC as an OC. So what were you calling out ........curious

Look further. What was the offense ranked the year before? Where was it trending before Garrett ever got here. Who was here then? Who put the pieces together? Who set the table? That’s where the credit goes.

khiladi

Reaction score
I get it ( don't agree with it all ) but you can't be serious........LOL

We wouldn’t have blown multiple picks on Galloway. Not necessarily that we targeted a WR. It was akin to Jerry’s move to get Roy Williams to assist “Garrett’s” stagnating offense. We lost draft picks for that as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is a fraud who knows how to spew lines of BS and make it sound like he knows what he is doing.

He is stubborn and thinks what worked in the 90s will work today.

A double reverse or two doesn't change things. It goes way beyond that.

Jerry Jones bought into it for a full decade.

Gettleman's fatal error in NY was that hire.

khiladi

Reaction score

It was top 7 in yards, but bottom half in red scoring. By the end of 2012-2013, when Garrett was finally starting to get called out in the media and power started to be stripped away by Jerry, we were like dead last or close to dead last in rushing attempts and play action. Defenses always called out how basic we were. Garrett was running 2 WRs 2 TE sets while the league moved on to 3 WRs.

He was basically trying to use the Patriots as an example, while he completely ignored his second TE Bennett in the passing game, using him as mainly a second blocker. So not only was he trying to mimic what was happening in NE, he wasn’t even using the second TE.

Guy had no clue how to run an offense. Even in 2012, articles were still wondering.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ys-jason-garrett-speaks-on-two-tight-end-sets

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-dallas-cowboys-lawrence-vickers-jason-witten

Teams were basically allowing us to drive between the 20s, giving up the underneath, while counting on us to flounder in the red zone. And it worked. Our stats were inflated, often by going hurry up after the half.

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/co...look-back-time-for-more-hurry-up-from-cowboys

With Garrett, I remember vaguely a stat about how we were awful in the first half, in terms of scoring.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Because they got a new coach and had problems offensively already. Nobody disputes their offense was mediocre, it went from mediocre to “Jason Garrett” levels of ineptitude. That’s the point.

The random casual who didn’t see what the unbiased Cowboy fans saw thought Garrett was going to develop a promising QB in Jones. They saw what was basically built in Dallas after Garrett’s demotion from play calling duties and influence, as part of Garrett’s work.

What is happening in NY land basically is shining proof that Garrett set this franchise back years and was one of Jones worst decisions ever. Careers like Romo and Witten were wasted. In fact, it is worse than choosing Greg Ellis over Randy Moss.

I'm still POed about Randy Moss. BUT in the 13 years Garrett was here there was an opportunity and better coaching combined with smarter FO decisions, could've resulted in a championship(s)?. The 13 years are definitely more valuable than 1 draft pick. Shoulda woulda coulda, but Jerry completely dropped the ball on both of those fronts and it was clearly recovered by someone else. :mad:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Facts that apologists either don’t know or try to ignore. There’s no ‘blaming players’ any longer. It’s this specific fraud of a ‘coach’.

I agree he was not a good HC, ( said it earlier ) but his tenure as our Romo's OC was solid, with a top 3 offense. Guess you could say I don't see him as a bad OC vs HC unless there's something I'm missing. It's why I'm asking the questions........

lkelly

Reaction score
If they hire a new staff, they’ll probably give him the year to see how he will do. And then decide if he’s coachable to a franchise level QB. The timing to fire the staff is ripe though and start afresh to draft a QB is that’s the route they want to go.
One can only hope (as a Cowboys fan) that NY decides to commit another year to a player with 29 picks and 37 fumbles (20 lost) in 37 career games played (11-26 record). I'd start a Go Fund Me for a long term deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree he was not a good HC, ( said it earlier ) but his tenure as our Romo's OC was solid, with a top 3 offense. Guess you could say I don't see him as a bad OC vs HC unless there's something I'm missing. It's why I'm asking the questions........

And that’s what you’re being informed about. The offense was headed toward the top before Garrett ever got here. Feel free to look that up for yourself. Payton and Parcells built that offense and put the pursues in place. The table was set.

You tout a 2nd ranked offense. Up from 4th the year before. Hardly any huge accomplishment.