Joe Montana was the original Tony Romo; Bill Walsh left rings

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I would probably go with pre-injury Bo Jackson as best athlete.
IMO. Basketball is a much more skilled sport to learn be really good at and not look very awkward.

Don’t get me wrong Bo is right there and the pure athlete(speed, strength etc) argument can be made and I’d bet MJ isn’t too far behind.

Skilled at sports and MJ takes it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Young wasn't Young in Tampa. Joe was still Joe Cool in Kansas City at an advanced age. If it wasn't for that terrible start in that NFC championship game Steve Young wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. That's a silly simple opinion that's baseless.
Young was Young in Tampa. He got better, more polished as his career progressed but he was a very good QB on a very bad team in Tampa.

You bring up an excellent example of why wins and championships are not the end all be all for determining individual greatness.

If Edleman is not on the Pat's both this year and last year they don't get to or win the SB. Possibly Gronk too.

IMO, it's impossible to determine the greatest QB of all time. Especially by using team accomplishments as the benchmark.

Brady certainly gets a seat at the table but he's going to need to pass the potatoes when he's asked.

kskboys

Reaction score
I used to agree that Montana was the greatest ever but now I believe it is Tom Brady. Montana had a very strong supporting cast-Rice, Craig, Taylor, Lott, good OL, etc. A lot of those guys are HOF players. Brady doesn’t have much to work with (Gronk, Moss). The one thing he has going for him is perhaps the greatest coach to ever coach the game.
Not much to work w/? Great OL, best receiving RB in the NFL, best chain moving WR in the NFL, best FB in the NFL. Oh, and Michell appears to be a top 5 RB. Do your homework, grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Young was Young in Tampa. He got better, more polished as his career progressed but he was a very good QB on a very bad team in Tampa.

You bring up an excellent example of why wins and championships are not the end all be all for determining individual greatness.

If Edleman is not on the Pat's both this year and last year they don't get to or win the SB. Possibly Gronk too.

IMO, it's impossible to determine the greatest QB of all time. Especially by using team accomplishments as the benchmark.

Brady certainly gets a seat at the table but he's going to need to pass the potatoes when he's asked.
Recency bias.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We would be number two on that list, with Staubach and Aikman.
And we are the team with the best 3 quarterbacks ever, adding Romo. And with White and Dak, we have been very fortunate.

I think most would take Favre over Aikman, and Starr way over Romo. So the argument is 'How close to Staubach can Rodgers get?'

I think that's fair.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
How many people here think the 90's Cowboy could take the 80's Niners? I'm assuming that's a lot of you. If the 90's Cowboys existed in the 80's, Montana would only have 1 or 2 rings, and Steve would have 3 or 4.

It's the Jordan effect. Charles Barkley and Karl Malone are a heck of a lot better than most of the PF's that won rings in NBA history. They just had to play during Jordan's era.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
George Siefert became the head coach after Walsh, and in his 8 years the team was 98-30 in the regular season (77% win % ...12.25 wins per season), went to the playoffs every season but one, and won 2 Super Bowls. Accordingly, the opportunity to have great success and win Super Bowls did not disappear when Walsh retired.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jim Thorpe is the best Athlete to ever play in a professional sport. Obviously, athletes improve over time, but in terms of just accomplishment and scope, it's not really even close.

Olympic Decatholete and Pentathlete Gold Medalist, Professional Football Player, Professional Baseball player, Professional Basketball Player, Scratch Golfer. He never played tennis but there are stories of how good he could have been had he picked the game sooner, as well. He was just a fantastic athlete.

Now there are those that will point out that athletes today have eclipsed his records etc. but if you look at it that way, then the same argument can be made against MJ. Todays Athletes are better then MJ, as great as he was. There is no comparison because time moves on an athletes improve, that's just how it is, but in terms of just simply looking at what these athletes were able to accomplish, it's Jim Thorpe by a considerable margin IMO.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Montana was the original Tom Brady.
Staubach,Montana,Aikman and Brady were the greatest in the clutch,big game QBs I ever saw.
They could play in any era because their talents in the clutch are too damn good....and if you don't think they could then I just can't help you because you're stupid.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Not much to work w/? Great OL, best receiving RB in the NFL, best chain moving WR in the NFL, best FB in the NFL. Oh, and Michell appears to be a top 5 RB. Do your homework, grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many of them will be in the HOF? Montana had several who were inducted and did it in the non cap era. Brady seems to do this with a new cast of players every year. One of the reason his OL is so great is because Brady gets the ball out so quickly. I don't think many people can even name the starting 5.

kskboys

Reaction score
How many of them will be in the HOF? Montana had several who were inducted and did it in the non cap era. Brady seems to do this with a new cast of players every year. One of the reason his OL is so great is because Brady gets the ball out so quickly. I don't think many people can even name the starting 5.
HOF? That's your barometer? Weak analyses.

There are many great players not in the HOF. And since when did the HOF become the only players who can play well enough to win a super bowl?

I'm honestly not understanding your argument.

erod

Reaction score
Young is, IMO, the most underrated QB of all time. The dude was special. Better than Montana, special.

So was Danny White. He inherited Roger's team when it was getting old and decrepit

Flamma

Reaction score
In all honesty Young was the better statistical QB hands down. But he could be had.

Montana game managed like no other and was completely unflappable in final 2 minutes.

Both were great. I agree the 92, 93 Cowboys beat any Montana led team. They were built to disarm WC teams and undress them with unmatched physicality in the run game.

The Cowboys were brutal and didn't even have personal knowledge of their own ability until after the 2nd SB win.

I agree with most of what you say. But the main difference between Montana winning 4 SBs and Young winning one is that Montana didn't have a juggernaut in his way every year. The Giants took him out the two years that he did. Once in embarrassing fashion.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Brady has 50% more rings (6 to 4) compared to Montana and 125% more SB appearances (9 compared to 4). You’re asking us to do a lot of fantasizing for Montana’s benefit to make up the difference.

Saying that, if I gotta win one game, gimme Joe.

mmohican29

Reaction score
How many people here think the 90's Cowboy could take the 80's Niners? I'm assuming that's a lot of you. If the 90's Cowboys existed in the 80's, Montana would only have 1 or 2 rings, and Steve would have 3 or 4.

It's the Jordan effect. Charles Barkley and Karl Malone are a heck of a lot better than most of the PF's that won rings in NBA history. They just had to play during Jordan's era.

Finally- something we can agree on. Nice post.

T-RO

Reaction score
Young was one of the most overrated QBs i ever watched playing. The way the 49ers handled Montanas injury and his demolition i will never forget. How they handeld player like rathman, rice, montana or craig. Players that brought them fame and Fortune. That had no class. Worst franchise in the league. And they havent changed. Just look at the Kapernik case.

Montana is the greatest QB to ever play the game. Brady is lucky to play in the right franchise which is corrupt but has all the right connections. Brady and the Patriots are just a shame for the game.

Everything you state here is wrong. Pretty much...everything. Wildly wrong too.

-Bill Walsh retired by his choice--no one else's--after winning his third Super bowl. You are wrong there.
-Smart teams move on from aging players. Rathman played seven long seasons and Craig eight with the Niners and were toast when they became cap casualties. You are wrong again.
-Rice was a shell of himself by the time he left SF. Your third strike.

As for Kapernik? He pouted and whined and isolated himself from his teammates (by widely reported news from his teammates and coaches). That and his play sucked. He played and pouted his way off the team.

One last thing: It's 'demotion'...not 'demolition'.

Johnny23

Reaction score

Charles was admittedly lazy. What about 94,&95 when he has his window and lost to Hakeem?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Rodgers mobility doesn't compare to Young's at all, I mean not even close. Rodgers arm is considerably better. Hell those guys aren't alike at all.

Rodgers mobility is actually pretty similar to Young's, Young was a bit better at running. But they certainly are similar to each other. I would say Wilson is also pretty similar as well. Actually, Young, Rodgers, and Wilson are probably the most ideal QBs you can have. They pretty much have everything.