Joe Montana was the original Tony Romo; Bill Walsh left rings

Johnny23

Reaction score
They won game 1 of the 93 finals against the bulls. Can’t get much closer than that.
They lost 4-2 in which Barkley came undone in the 4th losing game 6. Charles was a notorious 3/4 quarter guy in big games. You can't excuse him coming unraveled in the playoffs 93-99 when he had chances to win or get back to the finals. He blew it when he had his chance to get a ring in 94 and 95.. then became disgruntled in 96 forcing another trade to Houston only to become more fat lazy and surprisingly injury prone. Charles being a screw up played a big part in him not winning.

As pertaining to the thread if you put Brady in Joe's position in the 80's does he have the playoffs stinkers Joe had like in '87 vs. Minnesota.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They lost 4-2 in which Barkley came undone in the 4th losing game 6. Charles was a notorious 3/4 quarter guy in big games. You can't excuse him coming unraveled in the playoffs 93-99 when he had chances to win or get back to the finals. He blew it when he had his chance to get a ring in 94 and 95.. then became disgruntled in 96 forcing another trade to Houston only to become more fat lazy and surprisingly injury prone. Charles being a screw up played a big part in him not winning.

As pertaining to the thread if you put Brady in Joe's position in the 80's does he have the playoffs stinkers Joe had like in '87 vs. Minnesota.

And would Joe have failed to defeat the Giants twice with a substantially better team?

Flamma

Reaction score
Brady has 50% more rings (6 to 4) compared to Montana and 125% more SB appearances (9 compared to 4). You’re asking us to do a lot of fantasizing for Montana’s benefit to make up the difference.

Saying that, if I gotta win one game, gimme Joe.

If I have to win one game I'll take John Elway over both of them. His Super Bowl losses were to vastly superior teams. Some of his teams shouldn't have even been in the Super Bowl if not for him. He consistently came out on top if he had a competitive team, even if his opponent was better. Not always the case with Joe. And besides 1986 Joe always had the superior team by a fairly wide margin.

Eddie

Reaction score
Bash Steve Young all you want ... but if it weren't for the Hershel Walker trade, Young would have had 3 rings.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Eric Bischoff is the worst person to ever cite.

He had a blank checkbook with far more reach than any of their competitors and still ran a company into the ground.

It's like quoting Quincy Carter.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Bash Steve Young all you want ... but if it weren't for the Hershel Walker trade, Young would have had 3 rings.
He already does have three rings... and before people try to act like he didn't earn the other two, you'd better check your history.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is one of those threads where the original post was rambling and not exactly making sense, but then the other posts thereafter made even less.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
on the table.

I’m avoiding it like my name is Sandra Bullock.

I know the clueless sheep are running with it. Can’t turn on TV, Radio, or Twitter

Best ever!

And since Brady now has 6, I’m sure they’ve really lost all perspective and there debating who was a better athlete Brady or Jordan

Yeah let’s compare: The ultimate role player vs the greatest one man wrecking crew that sports has ever witnessed(wilt and Jim brown)

Would history be different?

What if Bill Walsh wasn’t driven by rather leave a year too early than a year too late

What if Joe Montana didn’t lose his job to an inferior QB

the Cowboys mini run in the 90’s May never have come to pass

No disrespect to the Cowboys but Walsh/Montana >>> Seifert/Young all day

As the great Eric Bischoff always says: context is king

This is why you shouldn’t label anyone in sports the absolute greatest without proper context

Fran Tarkenton was the first Romo.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton was the first Romo.
Interesting.

You know, I never really thought about it that way.

But he was pretty similar.

Tarkenton could frustrate the hell out of defenses on a regular basis and be very productive statistically.

But alas, he came up short.

Then went into broadcasting.