Twitter: Joe Whitt Jr. interviewed

Sydla

Reaction score
The guy's resume screams success. LOL.

But he's not some retread DC like Nolan. So in that sense, it's an outside the box hire.

Ehhh.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And always based on great results do they get hired.

Maybe you just don't like to read, or are too full of your own opinions to research what others here have already done for you.
Atlanta was atrocious in passing defense last year, and JWJ was the passing game coordinator/ secondary coach.

So you actually think that it's not only a good idea to hire this dud, but to also give him a promotion???

It is true, a sucker IS born every day!
:laugh:

Maybe you need to read a little more. Whitt has coached some pretty good secondaries in the past. In Green Bay, his secondary was fifth the year the Packers won the Super Bowl. You seem to be just going off his time in Atlanta. That's not much research.

I'm not saying Whitt is the hire I would want us to make, only that I'm not going to say it would be a bad one just because most think it's simply a loyalty hire.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well.. Falcons pass defense sucks..

I guess the Cowboys know something we don’t lol.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Three years in a row he's been a part of a coaching staff that got fired.

Sure. Let's promote him to DC.

Makes zero sense.

That doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Most teams (not ours) clear out the assistants when a coach is let go. Again, I'm not saying he's the guy I want, but few likely would have been against the move from around 2009-2016. (Some would be against any move we make, though.)

If this is the direction McCarthy decides to go, then we'll see what happens. I see no reason to call it a bad move until it turns out to be one, if it does.

However, I will add that if we don't increase the talent on our defense, it's not going to matter too much who we hire as DC.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If this is the direction McCarthy decides to go

I don't understand his logic either.

Didn't he hire Mike Nolan?

Also, McCarthy-led teams are 17-26 his last 3 seasons. Why does anyone trust the direction McCarthy decides to go?

It's just bad decisions on top of bad decisions.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Truth is none of us know how well he will do......he certainly has paid his dues as a positional coach. Read earlier tweet that 'he' was actually MM first choice for DC last year but it didn't work out. Perhaps MM feels he's ready but one for sure, it would certainly be a bold hire knowing the pressure he'll have next season. I'm willing to trust MM on this but my next question is does hiring ( if it happens ) mean we're going with a complete 3-4 scheme?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Lol, the Cowboys were hiring Detroit Lions' coaching garbage left and right recently. Remember?
This BS has been going on ever since Jimmy left. Fricking JJ is chasing a ghost..................

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Let's be honest. Jerry isn't competent. As a result, he picks people to coach the cowboys poorly . . . like Jason Garrett or Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy was a bad hire and now we are debating if him or Jerry should pick the next DC. This really seems like a lose-lose scenario.

I can't say that I know much about Whitt but his record is terrible and it seems like a pure nepotism hire. I can't imagine that if you were going to pick someone who had never been a DC, he would be first on the list.