Twitter: Joe Whitt Jr. interviewed

Shadowfax

Reaction score
I know nothing about this guy, but I know MM has to get this hire right. If he doesn’t, he will not be the coach in 2022. If this is the guy he wants to ride with, I am on board.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Truth is none of us know how well he will do......he certainly has paid his dues as a positional coach. Read earlier tweet that 'he' was actually MM first choice for DC last year but it didn't work out. Perhaps MM feels he's ready but one for sure, it would certainly be a bold hire knowing the pressure he'll have next season. I'm willing to trust MM on this but my next question is does hiring ( if it happens ) mean we're going with a complete 3-4 scheme?
No team in the NFL has a base 4-3 or 3-4. Nickel is 80% of the snaps. It will be a 4-2-5 with Lawrence and Gregory as the ends.

Unless Marvin Lewis came in, the defense is going to improve more based on the 11 starters than any slight scheme change. Lewis is one of a few defensive minds who I think it matters who is calling the plays. The rest are as successful as personnel dictates.

Jaylon Smith consistently fitting the wrong gaps kills any scheme.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't understand his logic either.

Didn't he hire Mike Nolan?

Also, McCarthy-led teams are 17-26 his last 3 seasons. Why does anyone trust the direction McCarthy decides to go?

It's just bad decisions on top of bad decisions.

McCarthy spent quite a bit of time working with Whitt, so he knows him very well as a coach. Nolan failed so that's on McCarthy, but I don't think that means you take away his control over who he hires ... at least not yet.

But the leash isn't that long. If his next DC choice fails, McCarthy will probably go out the door with him. McCarthy has to show this year IMO that he can get this team back into the playoffs, especially if the offense stays healthy. The circumstances this year might have been extraordinary, but if he misses two years in a row, I don't think the Joneses will stick with him like they did the chosen one. Of course, part of Garrett's saving grace was that he kept getting the team back to the playoffs after failures.

McCarthy needs to do this his way, not have the Joneses tell him who to choose. And he needs to fully shoulder the blame if his way doesn't work.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Defensive coordinators do matter but it is mostly about the talent you have on defense. I don’t think Jack Del Rio is any good as a coordinator. If that was Rex Ryan coaching the Football Teams defense they would have beaten the Bucs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A guy who was involved with the worst pass defense in the NFL

But he makes Mike feel all warm and fuzzy:facepalm:

sounds like a repeat of Nolan.

id like to see more interviews.

MM will try to talk up one of his guys. Its a control/power kick. He likes to hire people he knows. It’s a way of removing threats to his job.

We need an elite/proven winner for the DC job.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Defensive coordinators do matter but it is mostly about the talent you have on defense. I don’t think Jack Del Rio is any good as a coordinator. If that was Rex Ryan coaching the Football Teams defense they would have beaten the Bucs.

gotta have the talent.

we do have 4 pro bowl players on the D.

Lee, Jaylon, LVE, DLaw.

A few more would be nice.

an elite DC will get you more.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Could we at least interview coaches who have actually been a DC in the NFL?

Whitt seems to be interviewed only because of Big Mike knowing him.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sounds like a repeat of Nolan.

id like to see more interviews.

MM will try to talk up one of his guys. Its a control/power kick. He likes to hire people he knows. It’s a way of removing threats to his job.

We need an elite/proven winner for the DC job.
To me, this is a sign of a weak coach. Surround yourself with yes men.
great HCs hire people who get stolen by other teams, not guys whom will discuss dinner options with you during the game.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
this guy is an improvement from Nolan tho. He is very well respected around the league and relates better to the players in messaging. This would be ok by me.
We have no idea if he is any better than Nolan. He has never run a whole defense. It is a shot in the dark with someone McCarthy knows and likes.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'm cool if it's for the QB coach and they want to bring Dan Quinn in as DC

Gaede

Reaction score
McCarthy spent quite a bit of time working with Whitt, so he knows him very well as a coach. Nolan failed so that's on McCarthy, but I don't think that means you take away his control over who he hires ... at least not yet.

But the leash isn't that long. If his next DC choice fails, McCarthy will probably go out the door with him. McCarthy has to show this year IMO that he can get this team back into the playoffs, especially if the offense stays healthy. The circumstances this year might have been extraordinary, but if he misses two years in a row, I don't think the Joneses will stick with him like they did the chosen one. Of course, part of Garrett's saving grace was that he kept getting the team back to the playoffs after failures.

McCarthy needs to do this his way, not have the Joneses tell him who to choose. And he needs to fully shoulder the blame if his way doesn't work.

Good post. Frankly, that's why it's surprising he might be considering someone who's never been a DC before. You'd think he's want the safest best possible. Especially considering we're not looking for some record-breaking defense here. With our offense, we're just looking for something reliable and not terrible