John Mara says league needs to look at catch, PI rules: PFT

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Im a cowboys fan. and i don't give a crap if they change iit or not. they stole the cowboys chance to go to the Super Bowl now.nothing can make up for that. guys like Witten and Romo may never get another shot. every year is different. screw the NFL and Screw Mara and Dean Blandino.

I think you basically proved my point. :)

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The most important thing is to protect the instant replay system original intention----that the referees judgement on the field a the point of the play is the focal point, and needs undisputable physical evidence to overturn....................not a opinion from up above

I agree. All they need to do, for the most part. Is reign in these "all world, smarter then us refs who want to make a name for themselves", like Pittsburgh Gene!!

If you overall call a play, it better be 100% or its your ......

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Mara translation: "I have Odell Beckham now, and I'm afraid we'll get jobbed by that same rule, so it's OK to change it now."

We are of similar thinking . Posted that same thought earlier

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With 2 calls in back to back weeks greatly impacting a couple of playoff games the league is going to have to do something because both calls took away from the play on the field. There's something wrong with rules that cause this much controversy. The NFL is going to have to make PI calls challengeable and further define them better. They're also going to have to further establish when a receiver has made a catch. There's just too many steps a receiver has to go through to establish they have control of the ball. They're going to have to further define exactly what a football move is and do away with the going to the ground part of the rule that states a player must hold onto the ball if the ball contacts the ground. If the ground can't cause a fumble then it shouldn't wipe out a catch.

links18

Reaction score
OK, what half we learned hear?

What we half learned is that the NFL and its rules half edged toward the hare splitting and the absurd. the fan want clear cut rules, pretty cheerleaders and affordable meade and popcorn. They fans dont ax for much just that a catch (a ball held for at least 1/4 of a second be a catch and once the knee is down, that is where the ball is spotted. It is not rocket seance.)
Also that any interference with the receiver is interfereance. Dont tell me that the defenders and receivers legs got tangled up. If a defender tangos his legs with the receiver that impedes the receiver. That is clear as good hootch made in Tyler Texas.
Mens if the NFL would hire me I would revamp the officiating and make it clear and thus enjoyable football for the average lout who lives for Sundays but not for Sundays with bad calls.
holla

I'll give you a reference.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Simple change: Three feet down is a catch, even if you're going to the ground in the process.

Also, add a comprehensive definition of "football move."

tideh20heel

Reaction score
With 2 calls in back to back weeks greatly impacting a couple of playoff games the league is going to have to do something because both calls took away from the play on the field. There's something wrong with rules that cause this much controversy. The NFL is going to have to make PI calls challengeable and further define them better. They're also going to have to further establish when a receiver has made a catch. There's just too many steps a receiver has to go through to establish they have control of the ball. They're going to have to further define exactly what a football move is and do away with the going to the ground part of the rule that states a player must hold onto the ball if the ball contacts the ground. If the ground can't cause a fumble then it shouldn't wipe out a catch.

Opening up pass interference to yet another person making a judgement call is not the answer. We need to let the players play more and officials officiate less. This was the greatest game on Earth long before replay. They could do away with it entirely and it would not damage the sport. They continue to make changes and nobody can say with a straight face that the game is better than it was in the 80's

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Opening up pass interference to yet another person making a judgement call is not the answer. We need to let the players play more and officials officiate less. This was the greatest game on Earth long before replay. They could do away with it entirely and it would not damage the sport. They continue to make changes and nobody can say with a straight face that the game is better than it was in the 80's

You can't let players play more when it comes to PI's or DB's will mug receivers. The only answer is to better define what a PI is and allow PI's to be challengeable. The only reason some here want to do away with replay is because the original call on Dez was reversed. Replay is good for the game because things happen too fast in real time and it's important to get these calls right. The problem is there's always going to be some judgment involved even during replay so the only thing the league can do is to try and better define what a catch and a PI is so there's not so much controversy over these calls.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Strictly defined objective replay is fine. Any judgement call should be left on the field.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I think you are missing my point, Joe. I'm saying at the very least, it was questionable whether he made a football move. If there's ANY question, then the on-field call should not be reversed. That's where I think he was wrong.

no, i understand what your saying about football move buddy, what im saying is this, looking at video of bengals, chargers when blandino talks about football move he states, takes 2 steps, turns, a football move, dez took 3 steps, turned, reached out with arm for goaline, on top of that there are some ref video reviews where refs said, reaching out for goalline with football is a football move, but again to ur main point, that is questionable in blandino;s eye, and again thats where he made not 1 mistake but 3
1. bengal video, player takes 2 steps, dez took 3
2. player was hit, dez was hit or tangled up by defender, a fumble
3. on football move, must make 2 steps and turn, dez took 3 steps and turned, then when switching ball, ball moved alittle, but that right there is already enough for first 2 above, then
4 dez turns, reaches out, football move, comes down, hits ground, (ground cant cause a fumble, another nfl rule blandino broke) ball comes out

all the while blandino says wont contest that, but he did for dez and cowboys

like 1 guy posted on another board, i think blandino did this because media was getting on him detrot game, so blandino did this to show everyone he isnt biased towards the cowboys

yet, when john mara said that didnt look right, and mara admitted they should change the rule 2 years ago or so

i think main reason mara did this because all of heat on him, and his star wr told him that was a catch, and u had better fix this, because i will make a play like that

to me, this is grounds to remove john mara as head chairman on competition committee

jeff fisher did part of that rule to, calvin johnson rule to i believe so remove him as top dog on the committee to and replace him with jason garrett

links18

Reaction score
They already have the rule that the call on the field should not be reversed without "indisputable evidence." I guess the definition of what "indisputable" means varies from play to play in the same game? Cobb catch upheld--Dez catch overturned.

Everson24

Reaction score
Exactly and then they decided there was irrefutable evidence to overturn it. It's just disgraceful. Much like The Catch, I don't think I will ever get over this one.

I feel the same way. I've cheered for the Cowboys for 44 years and this travesty is bothering me more than "The Catch" or Super Bowl XIII. At least Dallas still had chances to win those games after some bad plays. In this game they never had another chance with the ball.I would have loved to Dez get a few more opportunities after that bogus overturn.

I so badly want Tony Romo and Jason Witten get to a Super Bowl and they were robbed of that chance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tweak it. Change it. Adjust it. Redo it. Rewrite it.

Call it whatever you want. The rule cannot stay as it is currently written.
This.

Leaving the rule as is only allows judgment mistakes (intentional or not) to re-occur. My solution? Remove the maintain control and process going to ground provisional language from the current rule.

Catch. Two feet down. Control. That is a reception.

Catch. Two feet down. Control. A defender jars the ball loose or the ball is dropped before the receiver hits the ground. That is a reception and a fumble.

Catch. Two feet down. Control. The receiver momentarily loses control but regains control before any part of the body touches the ground. Whether the ball pops out after the body hits the ground is irrelevant. The ground cannot cause a fumble.

Fixed.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
no, i understand what your saying about football move buddy, what im saying is this, looking at video of bengals, chargers when blandino talks about football move he states, takes 2 steps, turns, a football move, dez took 3 steps, turned, reached out with arm for goaline, on top of that there are some ref video reviews where refs said, reaching out for goalline with football is a football move, but again to ur main point, that is questionable in blandino;s eye, and again thats where he made not 1 mistake but 3
1. bengal video, player takes 2 steps, dez took 3
2. player was hit, dez was hit or tangled up by defender, a fumble
3. on football move, must make 2 steps and turn, dez took 3 steps and turned, then when switching ball, ball moved alittle, but that right there is already enough for first 2 above, then
4 dez turns, reaches out, football move, comes down, hits ground, (ground cant cause a fumble, another nfl rule blandino broke) ball comes out

all the while blandino says wont contest that, but he did for dez and cowboys

like 1 guy posted on another board, i think blandino did this because media was getting on him detrot game, so blandino did this to show everyone he isnt biased towards the cowboys

yet, when john mara said that didnt look right, and mara admitted they should change the rule 2 years ago or so

i think main reason mara did this because all of heat on him, and his star wr told him that was a catch, and u had better fix this, because i will make a play like that

to me, this is grounds to remove john mara as head chairman on competition committee

jeff fisher did part of that rule to, calvin johnson rule to i believe so remove him as top dog on the committee to and replace him with jason garrett

Anyone proposing a rule of that convoluted should be sent packing.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I was scratching my head thinking, "Why is Mara (Mamma mia diarrhea), supporting something Cowboys related?". Maybe he finally developed that brain tumor after all those nightly prayers I've made?

Nope...it's cuz this:
He only wants it changed now that his team has a receiver capable of making acrobatic catches.

This phony turd knows he had to head this bobo rule off because Beckam Jr. surely has the potential to put the VaGiants in the same situation.

renny

Reaction score
John Mara says league needs to look at catch, PI rules
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 15, 2015, 5:30 AM EST
x350-151-e1359058463660.jpg
Getty Images
Jerry Jones isn’t the only NFL owner not happy about the Dez Bryant catch/not catch last weekend.

During an interview with ESPN Radio Wednesday, Giants owner John Mara admitted he was “very uncomfortable” with the ruling that Bryant did not complete a football move. He admitted it was “probably” the right decision, but cast doubt as to whether the rule needed to be enforced that way.

“We have to look at that,” Mara said, via the New York Daily News. “That was very uncomfortable for me watching that play and having it ruled as an incomplete pass. I think it was probably the right call technically, according to the language that was in the rule book, but I really think we need to look at that. . . .

“We had this discussion a few years ago with the Calvin Johnson catch and decided not to make any changes. But I really think we need to discuss that again because I was not happy watching that, because it just didn’t look right
. It looked like it was a catch. But if you go back and look at the language of the rule and read the part about having to control the ball all the way to the ground, you realize that it was probably the right call.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-says-league-needs-to-look-at-catch-pi-rules/
“But do we have to tweak the rules a little bit? I think maybe we do.”

That’s not just talk, as Mara is a member of the league’s competition committee.

He also said he’s “starting to think a little bit differently” about reviewing pass interference penalties.

“It’s become such a big call in our game,” Mara said. “It’s such a huge penalty that I’m starting to change my mind about that. I know that’s something that we’re going to discuss at the Competition Committee starting in February. I’m looking forward to that because I think maybe the time has come not only to have that discussion and that debate, but to really think about changing that rule.

“Instant replay was really implemented to try to correct the major calls in a game, and to get the big calls right. Well, there are not too many calls in the NFL bigger than defensive pass interference.”

Mara said he expected the competition committee would likely present a proposal to the owners to vote on in March, so a pair of controversial rules might get some clarity in the near future.

The only reason Mara is now saying that is because his team now the (Giants) have a receiver capable of making those kinds of catches (Beckham), he's the same man that complained the Cowboys and Commanders exceeded the salary cap during a uncapped season costing both teams penalties during the up coming capped seasons.