Jon Gruden on Connor Cook

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I was saying draft him last year before the college season began.

All this stuff about him being a prick comes out now but the kid can play.

Sydla

Reaction score
The red flags with Cook are that he wasn't a particularly accurate QB in college. That's a big red flag as I believe there was a study that showed the success rates for guys that couldn't hit a consistent 60+% in college was not great.

He also, despite some claims, wasn't exactly great in all his big games. He came up small in a few and MSU either lost or the defense bailed him out.

I wouldn't touch him at 34.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I always wanted a QB who could grab the Lombardi out of whoever's hands.

I mean it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who does Wentz remind you of?

b3b050ef279e4905b1b1e4a06fcfc0f2.jpg

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The red flags with Cook are that he wasn't a particularly accurate QB in college. That's a big red flag as I believe there was a study that showed the success rates for guys that couldn't hit a consistent 60+% in college was not great.

He also, despite some claims, wasn't exactly great in all his big games. He came up small in a few and MSU either lost or the defense bailed him out.

If they're not accurate in college they don't become accurate in the NFL.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honest question...Has there been a QB in the last 3-4 years that Gruden has covered that he does or did NOT like?

I can't think of one QB where he did not like him but I might just not remember it.

Gaede

Reaction score

I like Cook, but in three years he failed to crack 60% . That's a big red flag. He's no Tom Brady. I do think he'll do well in a bus driver role though.

Last edited:

chicago JK

Reaction score
i saw this last night and it surprised me. You got to be careful what you take from Gruden. At times, he can be very critical in these interviews but it seems like the summary of each one is that he really likes the player. I don't think there is ever a negative conclusion at the end of these things. I would imagine if you were in his inner circle and off the record that you would get much more juicier opinions.

Although, bookmark this page. I can already see Dallas taking Cook in the second round and everyone throwing a party that Gruden called him potentially the best QB in the draft. It must be a great pick, who knows better, you the internet scout or John Gruden? Get ready for it :)