Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't yet know they are sitting it out. If they do sit it out and don't sign someone, there will be plenty of time to complain, but there is no need to jump on the bandwagon before we know. Again, reports are several players are being brought in and considered.

Sure what we know now is Cooper is gone and we don't have a replacement in house, but that's how free agency works. It's illogical to think every team besides the Cowboys signs a new player to fill a position before their past player free signs with another team - free agency wouldn't exist if that were the case because somebody has to be signed first. It's not just a Cowboy thing - it happens.

Yeah, but know what else happens? Everyone else has signed at least one free agent to fill needs. All except one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but know what else happens? Everyone else has signed at least one free agent to fill needs. All except one.

Has EVERY team signed someone to replace a key starter, or are some just a need such as a role player or depth or special teams? Dallas has done that.

Even so, you are still talking as if the Cowboys are somehow at this point prohibited from signing someone. Again (and again and again) the reports are they are talking to and/or bring in for a visit, several O-Linemen. If they sign one next Monday that guy is just as signed as if he had signed last Monday. And, again, there will be plenty of time to complain if the Cowboys don't sign anyone. Sometimes I think fans are in a hurry to complain because they are afraid if they don't do it now the Cowboys will do something to render that complaint meaningless, and they will have missed the chance.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has EVERY team signed someone to replace a key starter? Even so, you are still talking about now, as if the Cowboys are somehow at this point prohibited from signing someone. Again (and again and again) the reports are they are talking to and/or bring in for a visit, several O-Linemen. If they sign one next Monday that guy is just as signed as if he had signed last Monday. And, again, there will be plenty of time to complain if the Cowboys don't sign anyone. Sometimes I think fans are in a hurry to complain because they are afraid if they don't do it now the Cowboys will do something to render that complaint meaningless, and they will have missed the chance.

And he's automatically as good as Cooper was because - Cowboys? OK. I see your position now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has EVERY team signed someone to replace a key starter, or are some just a need such as a role player or depth or special teams? Dallas has done that.

Even so, you are still talking as if the Cowboys are somehow at this point prohibited from signing someone. Again (and again and again) the reports are they are talking to and/or bring in for a visit, several O-Linemen. If they sign one next Monday that guy is just as signed as if he had signed last Monday. And, again, there will be plenty of time to complain if the Cowboys don't sign anyone. Sometimes I think fans are in a hurry to complain because they are afraid if they don't do it now the Cowboys will do something to render that complaint meaningless, and they will have missed the chance.
And he's automatically as good as Cooper was because - Cowboys? OK. I see your position now.

And he's automatically not as good (or better) because ...? The point I've been making is you are rushing to judgment before all the facts are in.

What puts you so high on Cooper anyway? Nobody was praising him as a great player last year, and frankly last year the O-Line had more holes than we have seen in the past few years. The fact that Cooper was here doesn't somehow make him better than other options. I think the lamenting over him is based on the opportunity to complain because of it, but the reality is we don't yet know if there is a legitimate issue. Until we see free agency and the draft play out all we know is Cooper is gone, but we don't know if that will hurt or help us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he's automatically not as good (or better) because ...? The point I've been making is you are rushing to judgment before all the facts are in.

I'll put you on the spot? Who's out there that's better than Cooper was in 2017?

And who can they sign for a similar deal?

What puts you so high on Cooper anyway? Nobody was praising him as a great player last year, and frankly last year the O-Line had more holes than we have seen in the past few years. The fact that Cooper was here doesn't somehow make him better than other options. I think the lamenting over him is based on the opportunity to complain because of it, but the reality is we don't yet know if there is a legitimate issue. Until we see free agency and the draft play out all we know is Cooper is gone, but we don't know if that will hurt or help us.

Yeah, the same old adage, once they're gone, they were "never that good anyway". Studs coming in, bums going out.

The fact is that Cooper played well for this team. And the offense and specifically the line, got better when he stepped in for Chaz Green. This offense was putting up big points and the running game was working well. You can try to go the revisionist history route, but it's a false narrative. And you're dealing with someone who knows it.

The O-line "issues" were at the tackle positions, not left guard.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has every team signed someone to replace a key starter, or are some just a need such as a role player or depth or special teams? Dallas has done that.

Even so, you are still talking as if the Cowboys are somehow at this point prohibited from signing someone. Again (and again and again) the reports are they are talking to and/or bring in for a visit, several O-Linemen. If they sign one next Monday that guy is just as signed as if he had signed last Monday.

And, again, there will be plenty of time to complain if the Cowboys don't sign anyone. I'll be right there complaining with you.
I'll put you on the spot? Who's out there that's better than Cooper was in 2017?

And who can they sign for a similar deal?

Yeah, the same old adage, once they're gone, they were "never that good anyway". Studs coming in, bums going out.

The fact is that Cooper played well for this team. And the offense and specifically the line, got better when he stepped in for Chaz Green. This offense was putting up big points and the running game was working well. You can try to go the revisionist history route, but it's a false narrative. And you're dealing with someone who knows it.

The O-line "issues" were at the tackle positions, not left guard.

You expect fans to be intimately familiar with every O-Linemen around the NFL? I don't think any Cowboy fan qualifies for that, including yourself. Someone would desperately need to get a real life if they did.

Nevertheless, I certainly don't believe Cooper is so good there isn't anyone who can replace him. There are available players out there who played quite a bit on the O-Line for the Patriots last year, whereas by SF's own words Cooper was brought to SF to "compete" for a starting role. If the 49ers aren't sure he is a starter there, then I have to believe someone who played well for NE has a chance to be as good or better.

There is no revisionist history as you say. You are talking about a limited context, so what you are doing is twisting history. Sure Cooper was better than Green, but it's ridiculous to act as if that is a high standard. The fact is, Cooper was a large drop off from Leary. That's the history that matters, because that's the level of play we need.

And who was Cooper a year ago? He was a guy who had never played a full season, and was waived by Cleveland.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's unfathomable that they would come out of FA without some OL help given they need a starting LG (or RT if you move Collins) and a capable swing OT for insurance with Smith.

They have to sign someone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You expect fans to be intimately familiar with every O-Linemen around the NFL? I don't think any Cowboy fan qualifies for that, including yourself. Someone would desperately need to get a real life if they did.

Nevertheless, I certainly don't believe Cooper is so good there isn't anyone who can replace him. There are available players out there who played quite a bit on the O-Line for the Patriots last year, whereas by SF's own words Cooper was brought to SF to "compete" for a starting role. If the 49ers aren't sure he is a starter there, then I have to believe someone who played well for NE has a chance to be as good or better.

And they're tackles, not guards. But I guess that point escaped you in your rush to call them Cooper replacements?

There is no revisionist history as you say. You are talking about a limited context, so what you are doing is twisting history. Sure Cooper was better than Green, but it's ridiculous to act as if that is a high standard. The fact is, Cooper was a large drop off from Leary. That's the history that matters, because that's the level of play we need.

So having just one year to prove himself is now a strike against Cooper? And show us all where the "fact" is that "Cooper was a large drop off from Leary". Back that up rather than idly throwing unsupported claims around. It's as bad as your "anybody can replace Cooper" claims.

And if that's the "level of play we need", where do you find it now? With one less option out there. I know, once again, "Cowboys!"

And who was Cooper a year ago? He was a guy who had never played a full season, and was waived by Cleveland.

And who cares? Again, you want to hold that against him while trying to discount the fact that the guy came here and played well when given the opportunity. Far better than anything or anyone the team now has.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And they're tackles, not guards. But I guess that point escaped you in your rush to call them Cooper replacements?

So having just one year to prove himself is now a strike against Cooper? And show us all where the "fact" is that "Cooper was a large drop off from Leary". Back that up rather than idly throwing unsupported claims around. It's as bad as your "anybody can replace Cooper" claims.

And if that's the "level of play we need", where do you find it now? With one less option out there. I know, once again, "Cowboys!"

And who cares? Again, you want to hold that against him while trying to discount the fact that the guy came here and played well when given the opportunity. Far better than anything or anyone the team now has.

Yes, Tackles - and we know Collins can plug in and play guard. The idea is to get the best players on the field, and if signing a tackle is the best way to do that, so what?

As for having one year to prove himself being a strike against Cooper, first of all, you completely missed my point and second of all, he had 3 previous years in the NFL, so he didn't have just one year.

The point was that just as the replacement possibilities for Cooper this year may not be absolute sure things, neither was Cooper a year ago. Far, far from it. The point is you and I can't reasonably claim to be able to sit at our computers and make a quality decision on O-Linemen around the NFL.

It's actually hypocritical for you to say "who cares" that Cooper wasn't looked upon that favorably a year ago, because that's exactly how you are treating the guys Dallas is talking to. That was the point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Tackles - and we know Collins can plug in and play guard. The idea is to get the best players on the field, and if signing a tackle is the best way to do that, so what?

Then why state that the players from New England would be "as good or better" than Cooper if they're not replacing him? A dig just to get in a dig?

As for having one year to prove himself being a strike against Cooper, first of all, you completely missed my point and second of all, he had 3 previous years in the NFL, so he didn't have just one year.

The point was that just as the replacement possibilities for Cooper this year may not be absolute sure things, neither was Cooper a year ago. Far, far from it. The point is you and I can't reasonably claim to be able to sit at our computers and make a quality decision on O-Linemen around the NFL.

Cooper at least had some measure of pedigree. Something of a resume. He had achieved success at various points in his career. He was good enough to have been a first round draft pick. He wasn't some unknown, faceless player like a fan is now trying to point to as an excuse.

It's actually hypocritical for you to say "who cares" that Cooper wasn't looked upon that favorably a year ago, because that's exactly how you are treating the guys Dallas is talking to. That was the point.

What guys? Who? I know, nobody. The same answer I've gotten every time I've asked.

You're just a fan who thinks it's their job to make excuses for everything the Cowboys do or don't do. And when pressed on those excuses, you've got nothing to support them. Nothing new.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why state that the players from New England would be "as good or better" than Cooper if they're not replacing him? A dig just to get in a dig?

Cooper at least had some measure of pedigree. Something of a resume. He had achieved success at various points in his career. He was good enough to have been a first round draft pick. He wasn't some unknown, faceless player like a fan is now trying to point to as an excuse.

What guys? Who? I know, nobody. The same answer I've gotten every time I've asked.

You're just a fan who thinks it's their job to make excuses for everything the Cowboys do or don't do. And when pressed on those excuses, you've got nothing to support them. Nothing new.

I didn't state those players would be as good or better, I stated that they come from situations that suggest they have a chance to be as good or better. You're the one with the closed mind. I'm just saying these guys look like solid options to consider.

As for pedigree, that only matters coming out of college as a factor to weigh to increase the odds a player will pan out, but 4 years into an NFL career that doesn't mean squat. What matters at that point what the player has actually done in the NFL.

As for what guys, I didn't think I had to name names since I assumed someone as into this topic as you are would be aware of who the Cowboys were talking to. The guys are Cameron Flemming and LaAdrian Waddle. Not stars, just as Cooper wasn't a year ago, but the Cowboys can't pay another superstar on the O-Line anyway, so these are pretty solid options to look at.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't state those players would be as good or better, I stated that they come from situations that suggest they have a chance to be as good or better.

At completely different positions.

As for pedigree, that only matters coming out of college as a factor to weigh to increase the odds a player will pan out, but 4 years into an NFL career that doesn't mean squat. What matters at that point what the player has actually done in the NFL.

And what have your "imaginary players" done? What have the guys that you can't even come up with a name for, what have those players ever done?

As for what guys, I didn't think I had to name names since I assumed someone as into this topic as you are would be aware of who the Cowboys were talking to. The guys are Cameron Flemming and LaAdrian Waddle. Not stars, just as Cooper wasn't a year ago, but the Cowboys can't pay another superstar on the O-Line anyway, so these are pretty solid options to look at.

Again, two tackles, neither of whom would be replacing Cooper at guard. But use them to throw shade Cooper's way and undermine how well he actually played in 2017. Because his sin is no longer being a Cowboy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At completely different positions.

And what have your "imaginary players" done? What have the guys that you can't even come up with a name for, what have those players ever done?

Again, two tackles, neither of whom would be replacing Cooper at guard. But use them to throw shade Cooper's way and undermine how well he actually played in 2017. Because his sin is no longer being a Cowboy.

Apparently every post represents a new conversation for you, and the context of the discussion to that point is forgotten. As I said before, Collins can play LG, and has done well there before, so if signing an OT and moving Collins to OG is the best available combination for the O-Line, why would that a problem?

Aside from the fact that using the term "imaginary players" is nonsensical, again, you are being completely hypocritical. What had Cooper done before last year? Why is it he could plug into the Cowboys line and these guys couldn't? Hell, even last year Cooper was the weakest link on our O-Line when Tyron Smith was healthy. Even so, both Waddle and Fleming have been starting NFL players, and both have played significant minutes for what is year after year one of the best teams in the NFL.

But the bottom line is you are looking for absolutes, and that's just not how it works unless a team is willing to spend money on a top tier player. The Cowboys weren't last year, and they aren't this year. They already have a boatload of money tied up in the other 4 O-Line players.