Twitter: Jonathan Cooper signs with San Francisco

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No the options aren't getting better, but just signing the first guy willing to put his name on the dotted line without shopping his services isn't the way to go.

Neither is sitting it out on vacation while your team gets worse.

There are reports (granted you never know how real) that they are talking to, and bringing in, several O-Line free agents to consider.

And I would certainly feel differently if the news went past reported visits. What we know for a fact is that the option of Cooper coming back is gone. And that we currently have nothing at left guard. That's what we know. Not speculation, fact.

When Leary left last year they did the same thing - if you recall, that's how they got Cooper.

As I recall, they had Cooper around the year before too. But yeah, his signing showed some foresight. Foresight I'd like to see right about now, because I don't. I see the opposite right now. Getting worse, not better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
this is really the first loss and non move that worrys me this off season..,why did they let him walk, cold he been had for cheap? if he was willing to be backup in sanfran why not grab him cheap and hes the fall back plan at worst?

blueblood70

Reaction score
They aren’t cutting green yet
He will get camp to prove himself
No real reason not to. Cheap camp body if nothing else
But I think his time is short
i agree id line up Tank on him every down at left and right tackle and see what happens :)) he will be a cut down release for sure..IMO anything other than a camp body and a desperation depth guy and this team has finally lost its minds..

blueblood70

Reaction score
whats the book on Looney? isn't he the backup G and Center? maybe they have plans for him at LG?

Verdict

Reaction score
:popcorn:
Melt downs?

Actually I would not have minded if he was brought back. But this now opens the door for a draft pick. Or if the move Collins back to LG and sign or draft a RT.

The meltdown will be epic, but you can most likely expect either an OT at #19 or a guard in a slight trade back. Personally I would draft the OT and then a guard later on in the draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no IMO they wont pick a G at 19 , unles sthe best defensive studs are gone from their board..id rather have Hernandez than Ridley if that's what we are forced to do given whos left/.. Vea, Payne, Rsmith, and DJames are the first choices..if none are there maybe Hernandez is the next best choice..

diefree666

Reaction score
The meltdown will be epic, but you can most likely expect either an OT at #19 or a guard in a slight trade back. Personally I would draft the OT and then a guard later on in the draft.
If the boys are really counting on Green being their swing tackle then they are truly out to lunch. IF we do not sign a good one in FA (and there ain't many to be had) then frankly we will have little choice but to go high for a Tackle. and then there is the elephant in the room which is Tyron Smith's back condition- just how bad is it? And of course as regards Collins that is complicated by whatever promises Jerry made when he signed the kid.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

And I would certainly feel differently if the news went past reported visits. What we know for a fact is that the option of Cooper coming back is gone. And that we currently have nothing at left guard. That's what we know. Not speculation, fact.

As I recall, they had Cooper around the year before too. But yeah, his signing showed some foresight. Foresight I'd like to see right about now, because I don't. I see the opposite right now. Getting worse, not better.
Last I checked the season doesn't start until September.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If they go OT, then Collins really may be moving back to LG. Then an OG later fro depth, but one that can also play C. Quessenberry may be a fit there in round 4.

If OG in the 1st, then collins stays at RT, and a swing T and insurance policy for T. Smith later on.

Verdict

Reaction score
If they go OT, then Collins really may be moving back to LG. Then an OG later fro depth, but one that can also play C. Quessenberry may be a fit there in round 4.

If OG in the 1st, then collins stays at RT, and a swing T and insurance policy for T. Smith later on.

It's harder to get an OT than it is a guard. I think if McGlinchey is still there at #19 he would be in play.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Boys have had a habit of tipping their hand over the past few years. Their external FA signings are a decent predictor of where they're heading in the draft. Can you say G or T early. Certainly looks like offense will be a focal point along with LB'er
And maybe WR. Perhaps S too, so that makes four possibilities. There's also the possibility of moving up or down, and MAYBE the scouts find someone "under the radar". I like the "who knows" factor. Even the experts swing and miss quite frequently.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
And maybe WR. Perhaps S too, so that makes four possibilities. There's also the possibility of moving up or down, and MAYBE the scouts find someone "under the radar". I like the "who knows" factor. Even the experts swing and miss quite frequently.

Look at who we're bringing in (supposedly). WR's, O-Linemen and now a rumor of a LB'er. They've tipped their hand like this the past few years. Their FA talk focus has pretty much been their draft focus over the past few years. No safeties brought in though even though the safety market is dead. I think we all pretty much know where the focus will be in the first 4 picks. Not the who, nor the order of significance but the positions

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I think there is a reason that Frank Pollack isn't here now. We went in to 2017 with 2/5ths of the O-line completely new and poorly thought out. I'm good with moving Collins back to LG or keeping him at RT. We have a starting LG or RT in house, Collins, but if he moves to LG we have no starting RT and if he stays at RT we have no starting LG. My question is who is better of the picks, McGlinchey/O'neil/Miller as tackles or Hernandez/Wynn as G's. Which is the stronger position in the first 2 rounds of the draft G or T.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We don't yet know they are sitting it out. If they do sit it out and don't sign someone, there will be plenty of time to complain, but there is no need to jump on the bandwagon before we know. Again, reports are several players are being brought in and considered.

Sure what we know now is Cooper is gone and we don't have a replacement in house, but that's how free agency works. It's illogical to think every team besides the Cowboys signs a new player to fill a position before their past player free signs with another team - free agency wouldn't exist if that were the case because somebody has to be signed first. It's not just a Cowboy thing - it happens.