Josh Brent wasn't Drinking

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Should of posted aggressive mood.

If you call 911 about your kid choking and a police officer is the first to arrive he isn't going to body slam the kid lol.

I remember I called the cops after my truck got broken into. Pretty chill cops showed up. Ended up BSing for a bit.

Yeah, we've had the same happen. Once they wouldn't even get out of the squad car, called us over to fill out paperwork. I think responding to a car break-in is probably one of the least important thing they do.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The officers had every reason to speak to Brent, and they even had a reason to think he had some mental health issues that would have required him to be taken to a mental health facility for his own safety. The problem arises when they come up with the bs about the smelling of alcohol. You dont smell alcohol when there is none present.And you said it right, the "CASE," was for probation violation, but since he tested negative for any drugs in his system, there was no case. Someone who has some mental health issues will NEVER be held accountable for resisting arrest or obstructing... so there was no case. I could also say IF Brent had shot and killed someone, charges would have been filed. Well no kidding.... but the fact is, he wasnt intoxicated, so no kidding the charges were dropped.

Like I said, I can understand why officers were called , and the original call to police even stated they thought the individual might need HELP, so having that information should have had officers arriving on scene already thinking this guy might have some issues.... not the kind of issues that demanded he be treated like a criminal and then charged with all sorts of crap.... again, ESPECIALLY the bs about "Smelling," alcohol on him. So in the end, yes, the DA dropeed this because it was exactly what I said..... garbage.

Lastly, the body cam footage is so edited out that it is impossible for us to really discuss it. I would have had zero problems with the police in this situation had he been treated a s aperson with a medical issue... he wasnt. I also had zero problem with tasing him and putting him in cuffs since that was fro the safety of all involved.

You wasted good money for 5 years of school in the area of law and law enforcement. At the point where he was uncommunicative, what do you want those cops to do? You go deal with a combative guy that size, mental issue or not. You asked for the body cam and you got it but, like I said, I figured it wasn't going to change your mind. You're not living in the real world.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
You wasted good money for 5 years of school in the area of law and law enforcement. At the point where he was uncommunicative, what do you want those cops to do? You go deal with a combative guy that size, mental issue or not. You asked for the body cam and you got it but, like I said, I figured it wasn't going to change your mind. You're not living in the real world.

Nah, the ones questioning the cops from behind a computer would be calling the cops at that point.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No, his arrest was motivated by them not wanting to lose their jobs. If they couldn't establish he was of his right mind he was too much of a liability to walk away from.

All he had to do was answer a few simple questions and he couldn't.

Again Ill ask, what would YOU have done? Its easy to criticize when you've never had that responsibility on your shoulders.

They could have called a crisis intervention team, but I doubt they'd have had a two minute response time so yeah I question how much good the extra training would've done in that situation.

What would I do?

I'd definitely have tased him, thrown him to the ground and passed on training on how to handle the situation better next time despite the fact that I misidentified a person having a mental break down for someone that was drunk.

But I design apps and websites for a living, maybe I'd handle it differently if I was an actual police officer.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What would I do?

I'd definitely have tased him, thrown him to the ground and passed on training on how to handle the situation better next time despite the fact that I misidentified a person having a mental break down for someone that was drunk.

But I design apps and websites for a living, maybe I'd handle it differently if I was an actual police officer.
Such a tough situation and police (generally)act in their own defense 1st, then subdue.
I cannot blame them. They are not psychics.
I also don't throw into the instant blame-game either with drugs/alcohol and whatnot, but I cannot fault an officer working in protection of themselves from a rather large aggressive human in the moment.

Tough stuff.

CWR

Reaction score
What would I do?

First of all neither of us have any idea what training those officers have.

They approached him calmly, spoke to him respectfully and without agression yet he wanted nothing to do with them. Must be their fault.

Maybe in your fantasy world when a 300lb d lineman doesn't want to comply you can show him a puppy, and offer a snow cone.

Damn right you'd handle it differently if you were there. Until then feel free to criticize those on the front line. Maybe next time they let the guy walk out into traffic and yall will be happy he wasn't harassed.

LEO arent above criticism and Id criticize any report that said he smelled of alcohol when test cleared him, aside from that they did what they had to on scene.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Such a tough situation and police (generally)act in their own defense 1st, then subdue.
I cannot blame them. They are not psychics.
I also don't throw into the instant blame-game either with drugs/alcohol and whatnot, but I cannot fault an officer working in protection of themselves from a rather large aggressive human in the moment.

Tough stuff.

I don't fault the way they handled it, it's not an easy job, I fault the idea that there's nothing to learn and no better way to handle it next time.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Look lets be honest, we can discuss how they handled the situation all day, but the real issue here is how the reported it.

they should have left out the "smell of alcohol" and just stated the facts.

Subject was uncooperative, given his size, and inability to answer basic questions, we subdued the suspect, arrested him, and brought him back to holding to test for drugs and alcohol for his safety and those around him.

Boom, end of the story, no issues. Instead, they tried to cover themselves for the just in case, with the claim of smelling alcohol, and created a whole mess of a situation that wasn't needed, or asked for.

Were the cops doing anything wrong? No

Could they have handled things in a better and more professional manner? Yes.

rags747

Reaction score
Cops stated he smelled of alcohol, do we even know how that is possible if he was not drinking? Send the man his $$. You cannot just make up Fake News and attempt to destroy someone’s reputation. This is like that rogue redneck cop that planted drugs in over 200 roadside stops. How could they even make a statement like that?

CWR

Reaction score
What on earth are you even talking about?

Please, crawfish all you want. Its in black and white exactly how you feel they mishandled the call. Dont make me go through it line by line and point out your hypocrisy.

CWR

Reaction score
Look lets be honest, we can discuss how they handled the situation all day, but the real issue here is how the reported it.

Subject was uncooperative, given his size, and inability to answer basic questions, we subdued the suspect, arrested him, and brought him back to holding to test for drugs and alcohol for his safety and those around him.

Boom, end of the story, no issues. Instead, they tried to cover themselves for the just in case, with the claim of smelling alcohol, and created a whole mess of a situation that wasn't needed, or asked for.

:hammer:

Dodger12

Reaction score

The situation escalated because of one man. I get it; he's got a mental issue. But, nonetheless, he caused it. It's hard to identify the situation when a person is argumentative and combative. It'll end that way 100% of the time.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Cops stated he smelled of alcohol, do we even know how that is possible if he was not drinking? Send the man his $$. You cannot just make up Fake News and attempt to destroy someone’s reputation. This is like that rogue redneck cop that planted drugs in over 200 roadside stops. How could they even make a statement like that?
:lmao:,,,man, I'd "almost" 'hit the click' to that header when it posted up over on the DRUDGE ,,,but, felt satisfied with the imparted knowledge contained in the header itself:lmao2:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I said i had no problem with how they handed him. My problem was with the ridiculous charges. And the fact the da dropped all charges shows they were ridiculous, especially when they habe time to sit, reflect, and then charge or not charge.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Ding ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Nah, the ones questioning the cops from behind a computer would be calling the cops at that point.
Cops don't protect you. They show up after the fact. Not their fault, they can't know a crime is about to take place. But you know not what you speak of. There is a reason a 9mm is with me at almost all times, and it isn't too call police to protect me.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
So in all seriousness as I see that it obviously means a lot to you. Someone kills a person of Pakistani descent and then someone kills an Irishman. Is one death treated differently than the other and if so why?

Means a lot? You got that by me pointing out that hate crimes are a violation of your civil rights? The world isn’t as simple as you paint it.

If there was nothing racially motivated about the murders you stated then no they shouldn’t be treated differently. But you framed your question from a simplistic view, with zero background on either situation, you also stated it as each victim was killed by separate individuals.

You know the difference, and I’m showing myself out of this conversation. Good luck

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Please, crawfish all you want. Its in black and white exactly how you feel they mishandled the call. Dont make me go through it line by line and point out your hypocrisy.

Go for it, I've got time. I'd really love to see my hypocrisy pointed out.

Last edited: