Josh Brent wasn't Drinking

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
So in all seriousness as I see that it obviously means a lot to you. Someone kills a person of Pakistani descent and then someone kills an Irishman. Is one death treated differently than the other and if so why?
Dumb. Is it on purpose? Or are you pretending to not know what a hate crime is?

CWR

Reaction score
Imagine if cops were actually trained to deal with people having mental issues instead of just assuming that they are are on drugs or alcohol. This happens more frequently than you know.

Watching the body cam video pd had two choices, first was to walk away and decide he wasnt committing a crime and didn't need assistance.

The second was to do what they did. Unfortunately whether intentionally or not he put them in a bad situation.

They were called because he was sitting in the grass on private property (I assume its a business strip center) talking to himself. At that point they have to determine if he's a danger to himself or others. Brent was uncooperative and attempted to leave before they could make a determination.

Judging by the officers demeanor I dont think it would have escalated had he answered a few simple questions. Since he was incapable of that they placed him in custody.

Im not sure why they said he stank of alcohol and admitted to drinking. This is where I have a hard time with their actions. Maybe he did admit to it, but when you say he smells of it and they later find he had none in his system it makes you look like a liar at worst and at best guilty of sloppy paperwork.

The entire incident appeared to be unavoidable once pd couldn't establish whether Brent was oriented. They couldn't risk him hurting himself or others. Im not sure any further training dealing with psych problems would have helped. Maybe it would have but that entails some cooperation and not fleeing the scene.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If someone calls in and says this person is acting weird or being hostile, well the responding officers aren't going to arrive in the area in a lax and carefree mood.

Just wondering what calls the cops do show up for in a lax and carefree mood.

"911? I need help. There's a wealthy white man in a suit trying to sell me a subprime loan."

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Watching the body cam video pd had two choices, first was to walk away and decide he wasnt committing a crime and didn't need assistance.

The second was to do what they did. Unfortunately whether intentionally or not he put them in a bad situation.

They were called because he was sitting in the grass on private property (I assume its a business strip center) talking to himself. At that point they have to determine if he's a danger to himself or others. Brent was uncooperative and attempted to leave before they could make a determination.

Judging by the officers demeanor I dont think it would have escalated had he answered a few simple questions. Since he was incapable of that they placed him in custody.

Im not sure why they said he stank of alcohol and admitted to drinking. This is where I have a hard time with their actions. Maybe he did admit to it, but when you say he smells of it and they later find he had none in his system it makes you look like a liar at worst and at best guilty of sloppy paperwork.

The entire incident appeared to be unavoidable once pd couldn't establish whether Brent was oriented. They couldn't risk him hurting himself or others. Im not sure any further training dealing with psych problems would have helped. Maybe it would have but that entails some cooperation and not fleeing the scene.

Cops must have great benefits and retirement plans because they seem to always be defending their actions to BLM, smart attorneys, community "leaders," family and the news media.
They are always second-guessed and have to hear criminals on the point of arrest say they know the law, it's because of their appearance, it is society against them etc.

I say, thank goodness for body cams and stun guns. Police have to live to police another day, and/but society sure makes it difficult for them to do their jobs.

What some in this forum might be saying is it is a right for all of us to be shirtless, shoeless, babbling on private property and then resisting and eluding police and fighting with them.
Give them a break. Police at the Wendy's didn't have time to do a mental health assessment.

Police are pretty hardy. They know that every arrest will be questioned while the criminal element is never questioned, from birth to the first day in prison.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
:lmao:lmao

The "point" is that of me being somehow magically thrust into the witness stand of yer' design, there, o' great counselor Perry Mason that you are,,,:lmao:

o_O
Just be sure you keep your grubby hands away from Della Street.
You have been warned.
Or do you like your trees toilet papered and your car windshield covered in shaving lather???
think it over . . . .

CWR

Reaction score
lol, they tased the dude and threw him to the ground. I don't think they were worried about him hurting himself.

What was their choice?

A couple scratches and bruises as opposed to letting a man possibly lose his life because hes so out of his mind he decides to walk out into traffic.

What you are viewing as compassion is called a dereliction of duty. You would've let him walk away before you could establish wether he was alert and oriented?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Cops must have great benefits and retirement plans because they seem to always be defending their actions to BLM, smart attorneys, community "leaders," family and the news media.
They are always second-guessed and have to hear criminals on the point of arrest say they know the law, it's because of their appearance, it is society against them etc.

I say, thank goodness for body cams and stun guns. Police have to live to police another day, and/but society sure makes it difficult for them to do their jobs.

What some in this forum might be saying is it is a right for all of us to be shirtless, shoeless, babbling on private property and then resisting and eluding police and fighting with them.
Give them a break. Police at the Wendy's didn't have time to do a mental health assessment.

Police are pretty hardy. They know that every arrest will be questioned while the criminal element is never questioned, from birth to the first day in prison.

I needed that laugh today.

CWR

Reaction score

I agree. Dont get me wrong though, their are too many who abuse their power. That said there are many good officers as well, and their job has become increasingly challenging.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What was their choice?

A couple scratches and bruises as opposed to letting a man possibly lose his life because hes so out of his mind he decides to walk out into traffic.

What you are viewing as compassion is called a dereliction of duty. You would've let him walk away before you could establish wether he was alert and oriented?

It's interesting you seem so sure his arrest was motivated by their concern for his safety and then question whether psych training would help is all.

CWR

Reaction score
It's interesting you seem so sure his arrest was motivated by their concern for his safety and then question whether psych training would help is all.

No, his arrest was motivated by them not wanting to lose their jobs. If they couldn't establish he was of his right mind he was too much of a liability to walk away from.

All he had to do was answer a few simple questions and he couldn't.

Again Ill ask, what would YOU have done? Its easy to criticize when you've never had that responsibility on your shoulders.

They could have called a crisis intervention team, but I doubt they'd have had a two minute response time so yeah I question how much good the extra training would've done in that situation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
they were just doing as they have been shown by th emore Sr officers. They just make stuff up. Think it isnt true..... take a look at youtube and you can find dozens of videos of police themselves saying they will make something up to innitiate a stop. Im not making this stuff up.
There are certaainly officers unfit to wear a badge, but there are bad people in every profession. But I wouldn't paint in such a wide stroke. There are just as many videos of tool bags that refuse to cooperate and could have avoided a longer inconvenience.

Reactions: CWR

Dodger12

Reaction score
I know exactly how it works. and I know exactly how police charge people with resisting and obstruction all day long. Those are the easy ones... I was trying to put cuffs on you and you slightly moved away from me... bam, resisting. Not hard. The DA can do what they want, and the DA obviously saw this for what it was.... garbage. Thats why the case was dropped. I wish we could see body cam footage of this to see how this entire thing went down. This is not likely not that different than what cops do on traffic stops. Can I search you car? No? Ok, well sir I smell the scent of marijuana emitting from your vehicle, Im gonna have to ask you to step out of your vehicle so we can proceed to serach your car........how does one argue that the cop didnt "smell," something?

Parts of the body cam footage can be seen here but something tells me it won't matter to you anyway. You've got your mind made up.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/07/09...ased-former-cowboy-josh-brent-arrest-coppell/

It's not hard to see why officers would think Brent was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It's also not hard to see that if the guy was intoxicated, he's got some serious issues. He should have been charged with resisting arrest but that wouldn't be a good case with his obvious mental issues.

The DA didn't "see this for what it was....garbage" That's just you jumping to a conclusion to fit your narrative. If Brent was intoxicated instead of mentally disturbed, the charges would have been filed. In addition, the "case" was for probation violation which would have occurred if Brent was intoxicated. Since he wasn't, the charges were dropped. The weren't dropped because of any bad conduct or judgement by the officers. On the contrary, these officers were polite, respectful and patient.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Parts of the body cam footage can be seen here but something tells me it won't matter to you anyway. You've got your mind made up.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/07/09...ased-former-cowboy-josh-brent-arrest-coppell/

It's not hard to see why officers would think Brent was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It's also not hard to see that if the guy was intoxicated, he's got some serious issues. He should have been charged with resisting arrest but that wouldn't be a good case with his obvious mental issues.

The DA didn't "see this for what it was....garbage" That's just you jumping to a conclusion to fit your narrative. If Brent was intoxicated instead of mentally disturbed, the charges would have been filed. In addition, the "case" was for probation violation which would have occurred if Brent was intoxicated. Since he wasn't, the charges were dropped. The weren't dropped because of any bad conduct or judgement by the officers. On the contrary, these officers were polite, respectful and patient.

The officers had every reason to speak to Brent, and they even had a reason to think he had some mental health issues that would have required him to be taken to a mental health facility for his own safety. The problem arises when they come up with the bs about the smelling of alcohol. You dont smell alcohol when there is none present.And you said it right, the "CASE," was for probation violation, but since he tested negative for any drugs in his system, there was no case. Someone who has some mental health issues will NEVER be held accountable for resisting arrest or obstructing... so there was no case. I could also say IF Brent had shot and killed someone, charges would have been filed. Well no kidding.... but the fact is, he wasnt intoxicated, so no kidding the charges were dropped.

Like I said, I can understand why officers were called , and the original call to police even stated they thought the individual might need HELP, so having that information should have had officers arriving on scene already thinking this guy might have some issues.... not the kind of issues that demanded he be treated like a criminal and then charged with all sorts of crap.... again, ESPECIALLY the bs about "Smelling," alcohol on him. So in the end, yes, the DA dropeed this because it was exactly what I said..... garbage.

Lastly, the body cam footage is so edited out that it is impossible for us to really discuss it. I would have had zero problems with the police in this situation had he been treated a s aperson with a medical issue... he wasnt. I also had zero problem with tasing him and putting him in cuffs since that was fro the safety of all involved.

John813

Reaction score
Just wondering what calls the cops do show up for in a lax and carefree mood.

"911? I need help. There's a wealthy white man in a suit trying to sell me a subprime loan."

Should of posted aggressive mood.

If you call 911 about your kid choking and a police officer is the first to arrive he isn't going to body slam the kid lol.

I remember I called the cops after my truck got broken into. Pretty chill cops showed up. Ended up BSing for a bit.