Josh Rosen can throw guys open

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Point taken, but my issue was Romo was the better option when he was healthy. You don't sit a healthy QB making 20 million in favor of a rookie, who didn't even have the whole playbook open to him yet. Those opportunities don't come around to often, you have to take advantage when they do. If you remember, Dak's play was starting to falter as the season progressed. He did a great job, given his situation, but Garrett should've made the move after we lost to the Giants the 2nd time, Daks worst outing of the season.
Romo was the better option when he was healthy Except he was never healthy. Any hit he took, fans would be holding their breath to see if he got up. Romo was finished and he knew it. Tired of wasting season after season on a QB that couldn't stay on the field.

Flamma

Reaction score
Point taken, but my issue was Romo was the better option when he was healthy. You don't sit a healthy QB making 20 million in favor of a rookie, who didn't even have the whole playbook open to him yet. Those opportunities don't come around to often, you have to take advantage when they do. If you remember, Dak's play was starting to falter as the season progressed. He did a great job, given his situation, but Garrett should've made the move after we lost to the Giants the 2nd time, Daks worst outing of the season.

I agree. Romo should have come in when healthy. He was the better QB. But the problem is Garrett took the safe route. The Cowboys were 8-1 and on a roll. You never see coaches make a change under those circumstances. Even Jimmy Johnson didn't bring back Aikman in 1991. Had Garrett brought back Romo and they didn't succeed he would have been excoriated. Probably even fired. He wasn't man enough to make that change, and I think most coaches wouldn't.

Jenky

Reaction score
Rosen didn't throw the guy open. He actually was open.

Agreed, he didn't throw him open. He threw a perfect pass. Something Dak is not comfortable with. He has 1/2 - 1 yard of separation on the DB.

T-RO

Reaction score
*Yawn*

giphy.gif

Next?

This is a far better example of throwing a guy open than the OP’s example—where Rosen was just throwing to a receiver who had established leverage.

I live in Arizona and watched Rosen in both of his first two games. He had a number of really poor throws.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo was the better option when he was healthy Except he was never healthy. Any hit he took, fans would be holding their breath to see if he got up. Romo was finished and he knew it. Tired of wasting season after season on a QB that couldn't stay on the field.
Didn’t have to hold our breath but a few times before we could breathe again knowing Romo was on the sideline safe and sound in street clothes holding the IPad. He was getting hurt about every 5-8 times he got hit the last couple years he was playing.

Flamma

Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before, but what the hell is throwing someone open? Is that like banking all the way to the laugh?

InTheZone

Reaction score
It sounds cool & let's the poster come across as knowledgeable, without having to impart any real insight.
I think it's more like getting people that cry about a receiever not getting separation a dose of reality. WRs and separation only blew up when Dallas got a new qb. People just didn't decide to start saying "throw a wr open" for no reason.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Didn’t have to hold our breath but a few times before we could breathe again knowing Romo was on the sideline safe and sound in street clothes holding the IPad. He was getting hurt about every 5-8 times he got hit the last couple years he was playing.

I hold my breath now when I see a pass in tight coverage, just like I used to hold my breath when Quincy Carter would throw to a spot off camera.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of thee dumbest things I've heard in football, "throwing a guy open!"

Its pretty simple actually. There are spots to throw the ball when a WR is covered that give him a chance to make a play. Aikman was a master at it. He never threw the ball to Irvin. He threw it to a spot where he knew Irvin was going to be.......b/c Irvin was never "open". He couldn't run away from anyone.

Dak tends to throw the ball only when he sees the target is clearly open. Thats a problem. As Norv Turner once said, "NFL open" is different than college. "throwing a guy open" is just another way of putting it.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think it's more like getting people that cry about a receiever not getting separation a dose of reality. WRs and separation only blew up when Dallas got a new qb. People just didn't decide to start saying "throw a wr open" for no reason.
Romo mentioned it in his broadcast. Then the parrots started repeating it.

Funny thing though, when he was commentating the Saints game, he kept on saying the receivers needed to get separation. He didn't want to insult Brees by saying he needed to throw the receivers open.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The term is throwing a guy in coverage. If you are late with a throw typically the WR has to stop, change direction, or play DB.