JSOnline: Leroy Butler's Analysis on 'Boys-Pack...Rodgers better than Romo *Merge*

leicafan

Reaction score
Posted: Sept. 22, 2008

leroybutler_file-100.jpg

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]LeRoy Butler
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]5 Questions
[/FONT]

After each game this season, former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler will team up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein for "Five Questions with LeRoy Butler." Butler appears on behalf of his charity, "The LeRoy Butler Foundation" (leap36.org).
The following is the Q&A after Sunday's 27-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys:
Q.: Do you think the absence of Atari Bigby and then the loss of Nick Collins and Al Harris was the reason the Packers played poorly on defense or do you think that's just an excuse?

A.: I think it was a big thing. First Al went out and then Nick Collins went out and it seemed like the Cowboys went to a different game plan. They went to attacking the perimeter. The play at the point of attack wasn't very good at the corners. They were throwing the ball more and they wanted to run the ball, trying to get the running backs one-on-one with the safeties. With Bigby being out and Collins being out, Dallas went to a more perimeter game, trying to get wide and into the secondary. On the long run, it looked like a breakdown. He was untouched. You can't let a guy with that kind of speed get out wide like that. It's almost impossible to get him. I think the safety (Charlie Peprah), it probably surprised him that Jones got out so clean. At that point, you have the wide receiver in front of him and the guy is out of the gate. Missed tackles was one of the top three things that was a problem. And bad angles. They have to work on their angles as far as pursuing runners. It's causing big plays.
bh.gif
on error resume nextt0=IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))if(t0adsonar_placementId=1266554;adsonar_pid=543757;adsonar_ps=1371717;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=150;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';
Q. What did you think of the gameplan to put Charles Woodson on Terrell Owens with Collins over the top and then doubling tight end Jason Witten with linebacker Brandon Chillar and another defender? Was that the way to go?

A: I think so based on what Terrell Owens did last week against Philadelphia and what he did last year. I have no problem with that. There wasn't enough pressure at times to do a lot of that. The game plan should always be double "82" (Witten) and double "81" (Owens). But if you can't stop Miles Austin, then you can't do that. This guy had eight career catches coming in and had a career game. It's just embarrassing to see a guy like that to come into Lambeau Field and make two big plays like that. But "82", you have to take him away. There were times Romo was able to just stare him down and get the ball to him for some crucial first downs. You have to find someone who can cover that guy. Believe me, every team is seeing that. They're going to try to exploit the tight end and get big plays down the field. But 200 yards rushing, that's unacceptable. They have to find a way to get that cleaned up.

Q. What do you think happened with the Packers' offense? They never seemed to find a rhythm.

A.: I think Dallas had a good game plan, but it's all about protection. (Nose tackle) Jay Ratliff had a great game and (linebacker) DeMarcus Ware had a great game. They just didn't protect Aaron (Rodgers) enough. He didn't have enough time to get to his second progression. He didn't have enough protection to get where he needed to be. Maybe they should have gone to more "max" protection because with that secondary, there would have been more opportunities down the field if he would have been able to get protection. At some point they wanted to establish the run. But if the running game isn't working, you've got to just line up in shotgun and try to win the game. You have to go to your five wides and take your chances. They probably couldn't because James Jones got hurt, but when people blitz you a lot and you get frustrated, jump into your five-receiver set and your 2-minute offense and play ball. That's what I was hoping the Packers would do. The pressure was on the Packers and I wanted them to put the pressure on Dallas. The weakness of their defense is their secondary. If you look at the Philadelphia game, that's what the Eagles exploited, the match-ups in the secondary.

Q: The two big plays Austin made came against Collins and Tramon Williams. Can you explain how those plays could have been prevented?

A: On that long pass, Nick stopped his feet. If you stay in your full backpedal, you're going to make a play on that long pass. His responsibility is to stay inside of Austin and stay in his backpedal. When that guy starts to run to the post, just turn and run with him. He's over the top of the deepest guy to the middle. Owens is to the outside on that side of the field, but it doesn't matter what route he's running. If Owens runs the post, he has to keep on running with him. But the other guy ran the post, and he has to be deep and to the inside of that guy. Once you're in your backpedal, you don't look at the quarterback. Keep your eye on the receiver. When the receiver makes his cut and you make your cut, then you can look at the quarterback. You don't stop your feet. The one on Williams, he has to stay on the guy's upfield shoulder more. He pushed off, but you're not going to get that call. Don't even ask for it. It was a straight deep route. Don't look back for the ball until the receiver looks back. The most important thing is breaking that ball up.

Q: All that being said, are you convinced Dallas is the best team in the league right now?

A: I think they're the best team, but the Packers aren't far behind. I think the Packers showed me they know how to handle adversity and they don't get down on themselves. They know they can play with that team. I think it proved one thing to me. I saw the game in person and I played 12 years so I want people to know that, from what I saw, Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Tony Romo. Based on throwing the ball in certain areas. The interception Romo threw to Collins and some of these other passes and the way he moves around, Aaron is a much better quarterback. Aaron doesn't put his team in those kinds of situations. When you look at Romo's stats, you'll see those long passes and those glamour things. Aaron's stats are OK, too, but if he gets the opportunity to throw 40 or 50 times a game, he's going to be good. No interceptions for three straight weeks? I'm excited to get this Dallas game over with. You want to play your best football in January.

He is out of his mind...:lmao2:

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I'll never forget the year before their Super Bowl with the Broncos when he was running his mouth, spouting that the Packers were the team of the 90s.

This was BEFORE they had even won a second Super Bowl, much less a third. Needless to say, they didn't even get a second.

He's a tool.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
http://i36.***BLOCKED***/albums/e21/texas_love06/homer-1.jpg

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
LeRoy Butler;2280505 said:
I saw the game in person and I played 12 years so I want people to know that, from what I saw, Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Tony Romo.

Hate and jealousy must be tough to live with!!

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Well, in a couple of years, I guess we'll see if Aaron Rodgers is a better QB. I somehow doubt it.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Not getting into the Rodgers-Romo debate because that is just silly. Rodgers is in his 3rd game with a lot of question marks and Romo has shown great play making ability in this 3rd year.

but I do believe that the Cowboy team as a whole is much better than the Packers. If the Packers would have had Romo last night and the Cowboys would have had Rodgers, The Cowboys would have still won.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
leroy butler;2280505 said:
I saw the game in person and I played 12 years so I want people to know that, from what I saw, Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Tony Romo. Based on throwing the ball in certain areas. The interception Romo threw to Collins and some of these other passes and the way he moves around, Aaron is a much better quarterback. Aaron doesn't put his team in those kinds of situations. When you look at Romo's stats, you'll see those long passes and those glamour things. Aaron's stats are OK, too, but if he gets the opportunity to throw 40 or 50 times a game, he's going to be good. No interceptions for three straight weeks?

If Madden's assertion is accurate - and Rodgers is currently limited to reading only half the field - how can anyone, especially a former player, make such a claim?

Naturally, Rodgers isn't going to throw many interceptions because his coaches are coddling and protecting him; they don't allow him to survey the field and heave a deep ball on 3rd and 20. Furthermore, throwing interceptions generally isn't a problem for quarterbacks who hold the ball so long that they take five sacks.

Butler may be a player of 12 years, but Madden is a Hall of Fame coach. I'll take Madden's word over Leroy "Homer" Butler's.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Ozzu;2280545 said:
Well, in a couple of years, I guess we'll see if Aaron Rodgers is a better QB. I somehow doubt it.

from what ive seen he is a better ..........bus driver

MagicMan

Reaction score
What do we expect coming from an ex-Packer who got beaten down countless times in Texas Stadium.

He has always had diarrhea of the mouth......:puke:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2280552 said:
If Madden's assertion is accurate - and Rodgers is currently limited to reading only half the field - how can anyone, especially a former player, make such a claim?

Naturally, Rodgers isn't going to throw many interceptions because his coaches are coddling and protecting him; they don't allow him to survey the field and heave a deep ball on 3rd and 20. Furthermore, throwing interceptions generally isn't a problem for quarterbacks who hold the ball so long that they take five sacks.

Butler may be a player of 12 years, but Madden is a Hall of Fame coach. I'll take Madden's word over Leroy "Homer" Butler's.

I don't think they are cuddling him Rogers is put up Ridic numbers hell Greg Jennings has the most receiving yards right now and its not just 3 yard slants. Their offense is no joke however to claim rogers is better than Romo off of last night is ridic he should have said Rogers played mistake free and took less chances than romo.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2280559 said:
I don't think they are cuddling him Rogers is put up Ridic numbers hell Greg Jennings has the most receiving yards right now and its not just 3 yard slants. Their offense is no joke however to claim rogers is better than Romo off of last night is ridic he should have said Rogers played mistake free and took less chances than romo.

Jennings is unquestionably a great talent; therefore, he's going to be successful regardless of whether or not the coaches are limiting Rodgers's reads.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2280568 said:
Jennings is unquestionably a great talent; therefore, he's going to be successful regardless of whether or not the coaches are limiting Rodgers's reads.

But they aren't

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2280572 said:
According to Madden, they are.

If that's the case then they must have been limiting what Farve was doing cuz I see no difference.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2280579 said:
If that's the case then they must have been limiting what Farve was doing cuz I see no difference.

Hence why we're fans while they're coaches and analysts.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2280583 said:
Hence why we're fans while they're coaches and analysts.

I can still form an opinion on my on and provide it with facts. There isn't much difference from their offense last year or this year just because Madden said so doesn't make it law. Look at Brett stats through three games and Rogers stats then look at Jennings stats and Drivers....they are really scaling back their offense.....:rolleyes: