JSOnline: Leroy Butler's Analysis on 'Boys-Pack...Rodgers better than Romo *Merge*

FloridaRob

Reaction score
the Packer offense has been different this year so far. Fewer 4 wides and just a couple of 5 Wr sets. MM has had a lot more max protects on with Aaron that he did not have last year with Brett. This offense looks more like the offense of two years ago when MM was in his first year as head coach. A lot more conservative approach. I think as the year goes on he will open it back up.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FloridaRob;2280596 said:
the Packer offense has been different this year so far. Fewer 4 wides and just a couple of 5 Wr sets. MM has had a lot more max protects on with Aaron that he did not have last year with Brett. This offense looks more like the offense of two years ago when MM was in his first year as head coach. A lot more conservative approach. I think as the year goes on he will open it back up.

I think that was just the approach with the cowboys to try and defuse some of the pass rush.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I like how he asserts that if Rodgers threw "40 or 50 times a game," he post good numbers, too. :laugh2:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Romo's problem right now is Patrick Crayton.....his 1st 2 reads are always going to TO and Witten.....if your 3rd read is Crayton.....and he cannot beat single coverage....things then become very difficult. The Cowboys need to seriously think about giving Hurd and Austin more chances...or making a trade before the trade deadline. These problems don't dissapear, they get exploited even more during the playoffs. Crayton is killing this team

kevwun

Reaction score
Didn't Madden say that Rodgers told him he was only reading half the field? That's pretty concrete. I doubt Madden would make that up.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rogers is young and he doesn't appear to make many mistakes. Experience and the lack of mistakes will make a good QB. Will it make a great QB? That remains to be seen. It doesn't require a great QB to win a superbowl as we've seen many times.

I will say one thing that Rogers appears better than Romo at. Protecting the ball.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
leicafan;2280505 said:
Posted: Sept. 22, 2008

leroybutler_file-100.jpg

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]LeRoy Butler[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]5 Questions[/FONT]

After each game this season, former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler will team up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein for "Five Questions with LeRoy Butler." Butler appears on behalf of his charity, "The LeRoy Butler Foundation" (leap36.org).
The following is the Q&A after Sunday's 27-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys:
Q.: Do you think the absence of Atari Bigby and then the loss of Nick Collins and Al Harris was the reason the Packers played poorly on defense or do you think that's just an excuse?

A.: I think it was a big thing. First Al went out and then Nick Collins went out and it seemed like the Cowboys went to a different game plan. They went to attacking the perimeter. The play at the point of attack wasn't very good at the corners. They were throwing the ball more and they wanted to run the ball, trying to get the running backs one-on-one with the safeties. With Bigby being out and Collins being out, Dallas went to a more perimeter game, trying to get wide and into the secondary. On the long run, it looked like a breakdown. He was untouched. You can't let a guy with that kind of speed get out wide like that. It's almost impossible to get him. I think the safety (Charlie Peprah), it probably surprised him that Jones got out so clean. At that point, you have the wide receiver in front of him and the guy is out of the gate. Missed tackles was one of the top three things that was a problem. And bad angles. They have to work on their angles as far as pursuing runners. It's causing big plays.
bh.gif
on error resume nextt0=IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))if(t0adsonar_placementId=1266554;adsonar_pid=543757;adsonar_ps=1371717;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=150;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';
Q. What did you think of the gameplan to put Charles Woodson on Terrell Owens with Collins over the top and then doubling tight end Jason Witten with linebacker Brandon Chillar and another defender? Was that the way to go?

A: I think so based on what Terrell Owens did last week against Philadelphia and what he did last year. I have no problem with that. There wasn't enough pressure at times to do a lot of that. The game plan should always be double "82" (Witten) and double "81" (Owens). But if you can't stop Miles Austin, then you can't do that. This guy had eight career catches coming in and had a career game. It's just embarrassing to see a guy like that to come into Lambeau Field and make two big plays like that. But "82", you have to take him away. There were times Romo was able to just stare him down and get the ball to him for some crucial first downs. You have to find someone who can cover that guy. Believe me, every team is seeing that. They're going to try to exploit the tight end and get big plays down the field. But 200 yards rushing, that's unacceptable. They have to find a way to get that cleaned up.

Q. What do you think happened with the Packers' offense? They never seemed to find a rhythm.

A.: I think Dallas had a good game plan, but it's all about protection. (Nose tackle) Jay Ratliff had a great game and (linebacker) DeMarcus Ware had a great game. They just didn't protect Aaron (Rodgers) enough. He didn't have enough time to get to his second progression. He didn't have enough protection to get where he needed to be. Maybe they should have gone to more "max" protection because with that secondary, there would have been more opportunities down the field if he would have been able to get protection. At some point they wanted to establish the run. But if the running game isn't working, you've got to just line up in shotgun and try to win the game. You have to go to your five wides and take your chances. They probably couldn't because James Jones got hurt, but when people blitz you a lot and you get frustrated, jump into your five-receiver set and your 2-minute offense and play ball. That's what I was hoping the Packers would do. The pressure was on the Packers and I wanted them to put the pressure on Dallas. The weakness of their defense is their secondary. If you look at the Philadelphia game, that's what the Eagles exploited, the match-ups in the secondary.

Q: The two big plays Austin made came against Collins and Tramon Williams. Can you explain how those plays could have been prevented?

A: On that long pass, Nick stopped his feet. If you stay in your full backpedal, you're going to make a play on that long pass. His responsibility is to stay inside of Austin and stay in his backpedal. When that guy starts to run to the post, just turn and run with him. He's over the top of the deepest guy to the middle. Owens is to the outside on that side of the field, but it doesn't matter what route he's running. If Owens runs the post, he has to keep on running with him. But the other guy ran the post, and he has to be deep and to the inside of that guy. Once you're in your backpedal, you don't look at the quarterback. Keep your eye on the receiver. When the receiver makes his cut and you make your cut, then you can look at the quarterback. You don't stop your feet. The one on Williams, he has to stay on the guy's upfield shoulder more. He pushed off, but you're not going to get that call. Don't even ask for it. It was a straight deep route. Don't look back for the ball until the receiver looks back. The most important thing is breaking that ball up.

Q: All that being said, are you convinced Dallas is the best team in the league right now?

A: I think they're the best team, but the Packers aren't far behind. I think the Packers showed me they know how to handle adversity and they don't get down on themselves. They know they can play with that team. I think it proved one thing to me. I saw the game in person and I played 12 years so I want people to know that, from what I saw, Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Tony Romo. Based on throwing the ball in certain areas. The interception Romo threw to Collins and some of these other passes and the way he moves around, Aaron is a much better quarterback. Aaron doesn't put his team in those kinds of situations. When you look at Romo's stats, you'll see those long passes and those glamour things. Aaron's stats are OK, too, but if he gets the opportunity to throw 40 or 50 times a game, he's going to be good. No interceptions for three straight weeks? I'm excited to get this Dallas game over with. You want to play your best football in January.

He is out of his mind...:lmao2:
What Butler was really thinking...

C' mon man, it doesn't matter if the Pack had Nighttrain, Steve Attwater, Primetime, and Ronnie Lott in the secondary, Dallas just had too many weapons. As for the defensive gameplan, it didn't matter what the Packers did because Dallas is just a better team. Period! When their complimentary players, Jones and Austin, are making big plays it's hard to win.

It's plain to me that Dallas is just a better team. Guys like Ware and Ratliff are unstoppable on defense and I doubt there is anything Green Bay can to correct it.

And, by the way, Aaron Rodgers is not there yet. He took too many sacks and moved around in the pocket too much. Romo, to date, is a much better QB who just had a so-so game. :D

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
kevwun;2280811 said:
Didn't Madden say that Rodgers told him he was only reading half the field?
Yes.

BUTLER;2280811 said:
Aaron's stats are OK, too, but if he gets the opportunity to throw 40 or 50 times a game, he's going to be good.
:lmao:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I saw Butler standing on the sidelines during that game.

Everytime I see that guy, I get pissed off that he was handed some of Darren Woodson's Pro Bowl spots over the years.

Also, they kept showing those Packer old-timers sitting on the sidelines because they were all going to be honored at halftime. I hope they enjoyed the game. :)

FCBarca

Reaction score
Chief;2280919 said:
I saw Butler standing on the sidelines during that game.

Everytime I see that guy, I get pissed off that he was handed some of Darren Woodson's Pro Bowl spots over the years.

Also, they kept showing those Packer old-timers sitting on the sidelines because they were all going to be honored at halftime. I hope they enjoyed the game. :)

He may be a homer but he was a pretty good player in his day

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
FloridaRob;2280548 said:
Not getting into the Rodgers-Romo debate because that is just silly. Rodgers is in his 3rd game with a lot of question marks and Romo has shown great play making ability in this 3rd year.

I think Rodgers will be a safer QB .... A guy who will make very few mistakes.

He impressed me a lot these last 2 games we played him.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
FCBarca;2281020 said:
He may be a homer but he was a pretty good player in his day

My point is he was not as good as Darren Woodson.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Chief;2281054 said:
My point is he was not as good as Darren Woodson.

Well, are those arguments really 'winnable'?...Comparing one player to another?...It's all in your perspective and mostly subjective

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2280540 said:
Hate and jealousy must be tough to live with!!

Or the fact that he played his entire career with the Packers and is biased towards them and Aaron Rodgers over a career rival team.

You guys need to stop thinking that anything not Pro-Cowboys is hate and jealousy. It's not always black and white, there are shades of grey

SMCowboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2280589 said:
I can still form an opinion on my on and provide it with facts. There isn't much difference from their offense last year or this year just because Madden said so doesn't make it law. Look at Brett stats through three games and Rogers stats then look at Jennings stats and Drivers....they are really scaling back their offense.....:rolleyes:

Maybe the fact that Madden didn't say he reads half of the field, but the fact that Aaron Rodgers himself said that reads only half of the field should be all that you need.

And Just because Jennings and Driver have good stats don't in any way shape or form show that Rodgers is or is not reading half the field. All that is shows is that Jennings and Rodgers are getting lots of balls thrown there way, which of course they have HAD to do, because Ryan Grant has been hurt and they have NOT had a very good running game so far this year.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
FCBarca;2281060 said:
Well, are those arguments really 'winnable'?...Comparing one player to another?...It's all in your perspective and mostly subjective

:bang2:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
leicafan;2280505 said:
A: I think they're the best team, but the Packers aren't far behind. I think the Packers showed me they know how to handle adversity and they don't get down on themselves. They know they can play with that team. I think it proved one thing to me. I saw the game in person and I played 12 years so I want people to know that, from what I saw, Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Tony Romo. Based on throwing the ball in certain areas. The interception Romo threw to Collins and some of these other passes and the way he moves around, Aaron is a much better quarterback. Aaron doesn't put his team in those kinds of situations. When you look at Romo's stats, you'll see those long passes and those glamour things. Aaron's stats are OK, too, but if he gets the opportunity to throw 40 or 50 times a game, he's going to be good. No interceptions for three straight weeks? I'm excited to get this Dallas game over with. You want to play your best football in January.

What Butler fails to note is that each team's scheme plays some role in this. The West Coast offense is built around short, high-percentage throws that give the receivers a chance to make yards after the catch.

Garrett is trusting Romo with more of a downfield, stretch-the-field passing game. That gives you a better chance of making big plays, but it also is more risky because of the throws it requires.

That being said, the scheme is no excuse for the interceptions Romo has thrown in the end zone, but it does difference in the two mind-sets. The West Coast offense doesn't really promote its QBs taking chances (although Brett Favre went against the grain on that one), while Dallas' scheme promotes that attacking mentality that Romo sometimes takes too far.