Just a thought, if Weeden was our Hostetler

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I only mention this because he looked more comfortable and poised behind center than Romo did.

Good to know he could maybe help if needed.

Just keep in mind most back up QBs that come into the game with no expectations have success. I said most not all:). Just this year, Cousins, Bortels, Glennon all came in during the game at times when the opp team did not game plan for them. had limited success..then look what happened once the opposing team had a week to prepare for them vs the starter. Understand what your saying but Weeden is a drop off in talent. I hear what your saying he did look good, he looked poised, and most of all in control of the offense. I am just temporing those expectations if he has to start.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Which is what I said lol. Or what I tried to say anyway. He doesn't have much wear and tear. At this rate it wouldn't shock me if he plays until his late 30's long as this continues.

It was this line I disagree with "He's also in his 30's.....so while he may be can become a smarter QB in this league...he's already losing his physical abilities from here on out at his age."

Because he has not been beat to hell he is not losing anything, 30 is not old. 30 is old when you have been in the league for a while taking a pounding and yes your physical abilities start to go because of the physical nature and abuse you have taken.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was this line I disagree with "He's also in his 30's.....so while he may be can become a smarter QB in this league...he's already losing his physical abilities from here on out at his age."

Because he has not been beat to hell he is not losing anything, 30 is not old. 30 is old when you have been in the league for a while taking a pounding and yes your physical abilities start to go because of the physical nature and abuse you have taken.

Its not old but when players hit 30 they start to lose their physical abilities. I guess that's more important in a league like the NBA than it is i n the NFL unless you're a running back. Romo is not the athlete now that he was when he was 24. Weeden's never relied much on his legs anyway. That's more so pertaining to his legs. I'm sure he'll lose some arm strength as well sometime down the line but not any time soon.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Its not old but when players hit 30 they start to lose their physical abilities. I guess that's more important in a league like the NBA than it is i n the NFL unless you're a running back. Romo is not the athlete now that he was when he was 24. Weeden's never relied much on his legs anyway. That's more so pertaining to his legs. I'm sure he'll lose some arm strength as well sometime down the line but not any time soon.

True but Romo has taken some big hits over his career, that will slow you up over a period of time. Tony has been a starting QB for 9 years now

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Just keep in mind most back up QBs that come into the game with no expectations have success. I said most not all:). Just this year, Cousins, Bortels, Glennon all came in during the game at times when the opp team did not game plan for them. had limited success..then look what happened once the opposing team had a week to prepare for them vs the starter. Understand what your saying but Weeden is a drop off in talent. I hear what your saying he did look good, he looked poised, and most of all in control of the offense. I am just temporing those expectations if he has to start.

Oh I know and I don't disagree.

That's when I go into heavy hope mode lol

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Weeden was also a rookie when he was in Cleveland and while he may have been older than most rookies he was still inexperienced at this level of football and like any QB it takes some time. Weeden in now in his 3rd season in the NFL I'm sure he has continued to develop. Hoyer took over but Hoyer had been in the league 4 years before going to Cleveland.

I am hoping you are right, but he wasn't any better last year. That game against the Lions was ridiculous. His best role in my opinion is as a back up with spot starting duty.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am hoping you are right, but he wasn't any better last year. That game against the Lions was ridiculous. His best role in my opinion is as a back up with spot starting duty.

again his 2nd season in the league with a poor franchise at that.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
again his 2nd season in the league with a poor franchise at that.

I am all in on hoping he does well, but there is no need to sugarcoat. The Browns have a good O-line, and some very good weapons in the passing game. He is a back-up in Dallas because he is back-up quality. He was released for a reason, he was not pursued as a starter by teams for a reason. If Dallas can work out his warts, then it is a testament to the coaching staff. If not, well, he was signed to a two year deal for a reason.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dallas doesn't need a star qb. Just one that doesn't turn the ball over. Weeden can make all the throws. I wouldn't play Tony until he is back to 100%

We can't wait until next season.

dallasdave

Reaction score
oquote="Joe Rod, post: 5774960, member: 1083"]I had the displeasure of watching Weeden in Cleveland a fair amount ( I had Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron on my fantasy rosters the last few seasons). He can get by for a few weeks, but if teams know he is going to be they guy they will make it a point to pressure him and it will not be pretty.[/quote]

A valid point , but also Colt McCoy looked like crap in Cleveland too, a product of the poor line in Cleveland. I think behind a good line Weeden can be a good QB.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
We can't wait until next season.

hqdefault.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am all in on hoping he does well, but there is no need to sugarcoat. The Browns have a good O-line, and some very good weapons in the passing game. He is a back-up in Dallas because he is back-up quality. He was released for a reason, he was not pursued as a starter by teams for a reason. If Dallas can work out his warts, then it is a testament to the coaching staff. If not, well, he was signed to a two year deal for a reason.

Browns have no stability he was there 2 years under 2 coaches, a rookie QB having to make changes and fact is the browns O and weapons where not that good. People want to act as if he is a vet QB fact is in terms of Pro Experience he has little this is his 3rd season.

Coy

Reaction score
I only mention this because he looked more comfortable and poised behind center than Romo did.

Good to know he could maybe help if needed.

Weeden did alright, he did what a good back up is supposed to do, but common, Tony has been playing lights out this year, even though we have the best rushing team in the league, we probably don't win @Rams, @seahawks and vs texans if not for Tony.
The Giants in 90 had maybe the best defensive player ever in LT and one of the best defenses in the league, we don't, we need out franchise QB to perform like he's been doing it in order to win games in January, just my opinion.

Saying that I'd take the 6th ring anyway it comes.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. But I bet a lot of people said the same thing about Kurt Warner ;-)

Warner was an unknown who had never had an NFL start. Weeden has started games in the NFL and they weren't good which is why he's a backup in Dallas.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'd be happy if he can just be a Steve Beuerlein.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Weeden hasn't had a large enough body of work as yet to make any assumptions concerning whether or not he'll be capable of leading this team with the kind of oomph to take us where we'd like to go. It'd be great if that turns out to be the case. Until such time as he's demonstrated more than he has to this point, I'll assume nada.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Even Aikman needed help from Bernie Kosar on the way to a ring.

Exactly right -- for a game or two but if anybody has any illusions that Weeden is going to bus drive us to 10-12 wins and a playoff run you better put the crack pipe down. Coming into a game is one thing, teams game planning for a QB week to week is a whole other level.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Warner was an unknown who had never had an NFL start. Weeden has started games in the NFL and they weren't good which is why he's a backup in Dallas.

Yes a rookie for who struggled with a bad team, it was not like Weeden stepped into a great team browns had sucked well before Weeden got there. 2nd year different coach plays half a season. now 3rd season in Dallas.