Just a thought, if Weeden was our Hostetler

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly right -- for a game or two but if anybody has any illusions that Weeden is going to bus drive us to 10-12 wins and a playoff run you better put the crack pipe down. Coming into a game is one thing, teams game planning for a QB week to week is a whole other level.

I don't know what Weeden will or will not do, He is not some vet he is a 3rd year QB his age means nothing. I'm not saying he will be a great QB frankly I don't know he has played for a lousy team under 2 different coaches most rookie QB will struggle when there is so much instability like that.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Browns have no stability he was there 2 years under 2 coaches, a rookie QB having to make changes and fact is the browns O and weapons where not that good. People want to act as if he is a vet QB fact is in terms of Pro Experience he has little this is his 3rd season.

Their O-line and skill positions were stable enough to get Gordon and Cameron into the Pro Bowl last year. Mack and Thomas were in the Pro Bowl on the O-line. He didn't just lose the starting job to Hoyer. He got it back and played so bad that he lost it again to Jason Campbell. Hoyer and Campbell both moved the offense where Weeden could not.

Weeden signed for a two year vet minimum contract because he has flaws. No one offered him more because he has flaws. It is okay to say that. If he shows more than that, then I will cheer for him like crazy, but I would like him to actually show it before I pump him up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes a rookie for who struggled with a bad team, it was not like Weeden stepped into a great team browns had sucked well before Weeden got there. 2nd year different coach plays half a season. now 3rd season in Dallas.

He wasn't developing that's why he was dumped. Statistically he was worst QB the Browns had on their roster last season and had the lowest passer rating. He was 0-5 as a starter last season and despite the Browns being a poor team he was dreadful. He had a 11 turnovers in 5 starts and no team wanted him after his release which is why he ended backing up Romo.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He wasn't developing that's why he was dumped. Statistically he was worst QB the Browns had on their roster last season and had the lowest passer rating. He was 0-5 as a starter last season and despite the Browns being a poor team he was dreadful. He had a 11 turnovers in 5 starts and no team wanted him which is why he ended backing up Romo.

So, what you are saying is the he sucks and is backing up Romo who you have told me many times that Romo sucks? Is that what you are saying?

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I want him to hoist that trophy and pass it to Witten. In the event he wasn't there, I'd still be happy and he would still be a winner. We could thank him for helping us to a 6-2 start.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He looked darn good Monday night. Much more in command than I expected. Nice canon arm too.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I will say this: this offense has been productive with the likes of Jon Kitna and Kyle Orton running it. I think Weeden can do the same if need be.

MrMom

Reaction score
I will say this: this offense has been productive with the likes of Jon Kitna and Kyle Orton running it. I think Weeden can do the same if need be.

And this year's offense has a far stronger rushing game than those regimes. The Cardinals went out there and won some games with Drew Stanton, I think Weeden can drive the bus for a game or two.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The only thing Weeden has over Romo is arm strength.

Yes sir.

Look, if Weeden took us to a Super Bowl and won I would probably cry but these threads start to seep in whenever anybody besides Romo takes some snaps and you just sense people really think that Weeden would perform consistently when his entire body of work has shown he couldn't.

If Gino Smith went 3-3 for us in a back up role invariably somebody would post "You know., he looked pretty good behind a good line."

The point is well taken. The backup QB has to bail the team out now and again but If you truly are hoping we make the playoffs and make some noise you better hope Tony can play the majority of the season,

Reactions: Coy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He wasn't developing that's why he was dumped. Statistically he was worst QB the Browns had on their roster last season and had the lowest passer rating. He was 0-5 as a starter last season and despite the Browns being a poor team he was dreadful. He had a 11 turnovers in 5 starts and no team wanted him after his release which is why he ended backing up Romo.

Yeah and Cleveland knows how to develop a QB they have had 12 in 15 years, no QB is developing with the quick turnover in coaches and in QB's. He was a rookie QB and in his second season yet another coach was hired. That would be tough on a more seasoned QB let alone an inexperienced QB. I don't know what he will or will not do but I do know he has some good skills and the mental part can be learned if he is willing to put in the time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah and Cleveland knows how to develop a QB they have had 12 in 15 years, no QB is developing with the quick turnover in coaches and in QB's. He was a rookie QB and in his second season yet another coach was hired. That would be tough on a more seasoned QB let alone an inexperienced QB. I don't know what he will or will not do but I do know he has some good skills and the mental part can be learned if he is willing to put in the time.

Granted Cleveland has been a graveyard for QB's the last one who had success was Kosar but none of their other QB's amounted to anything special anywhere else. As I mentioned Weeden wasn't developing and it's rare to see an organization dump a QB they drafted in the first round after only 3 seasons. Hoyer who's an average QB has done pretty well this season and has kept Manziel on the sidelines. The fact no one was scrambling to sign Weeden when he was released indicates teams didn't think very highly of him at least as a starter. During preseason he was up and down looking good in one game and not so good in 2 others.

Weeden looked pretty good on Monday Night and maybe he's better coming in as a backup as opposed to starting. With the talent the Cowboys have on offense and having a solid running game Weeden may be able to keep the Cowboys afloat for maybe a game or 2 but not sure I feel good about the Cowboys chances if he has to start on Sunday vs AZ. Weeden has had some real turnover issues and if the Cowboys have any difficulty running the ball and Weeden has to take to the air a number of times it could lead to a long day in the face of the Cardinals blitz.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Granted Cleveland has been a graveyard for QB's the last one who had success was Kosar but none of their other QB's amounted to anything special anywhere else. As I mentioned Weeden wasn't developing and it's rare to see an organization dump a QB they drafted in the first round after only 3 seasons. Hoyer who's an average QB has done pretty well this season and has kept Manziel on the sidelines. The fact no one was scrambling to sign Weeden when he was released indicates teams didn't think very highly of him at least as a starter. During preseason he was up and down looking good in one game and not so good in 2 others.

Weeden looked pretty good on Monday Night and maybe he's better coming in as a backup as opposed to starting. With the talent the Cowboys have on offense and having a solid running game Weeden may be able to keep the Cowboys afloat for maybe a game or 2 but not sure I feel good about the Cowboys chances if he has to start on Sunday vs AZ. Weeden has had some real turnover issues and if the Cowboys have any difficulty running the ball and Weeden has to take to the air a number of times it could lead to a long day in the face of the Cardinals blitz.

dumped after 2 season, this is his 3rd. Hoyer has done well but he had been in the NFL for 4 years prior to going to Cleveland. As for others going after him I think age played a part in that but why someone else would not go after him I can't say, hell NYJ went after Vick? why. I'm not trying to claim Weeden is certain to be the next Kurt Warner frankly I don't know what he will do. I saw his 2 years at OSU and I know he has the ability to play at this level and I feel confident in him should he be forced into action

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would be way ok with it.

I just want #6

Dont care how we get it, who leads us there or who gets credit

#6 would be sweet.

BTW, that Giants defense was beyond loaded.
Lawrence Taylor
Carl Banks
Leonard Marshall
Pepper Johnson
Harry Carson
Gary Reasons

Night and Day

Hoov

Reaction score

I agree with you.

Cleveland has been really bad for a long time, and they have drafted many QB's and failed to put together a good offensive program until this year. I think its early to write him off after a limted experience with a franchise that has looked out of sorts for years.

I have no idea what he can or cannot do, or what his potential is. He has a strong arm, he was a high draft pick and he did look good Monday night - granted it was 2 drives so we cant draw any conclusions from that other than he looked comfortable running the plays that were called in and that he did what he was asked.

Furthermore the way some of the passing rules have changed the game, it is more favorable toward QB's now and that should make it easier for guys to do some things now.

Arizona will be tough, thankfully we are at home.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I think he can be productive and I'm 100% behind whoever is QBing for us.

But there's a reason the team has not had a winning record under any of those guys yet has never once had a losing record with Romo. He's far better overall.

But again, all three of those guys can help you win games. Orton certainly has helped Buffalo in the short term.
With this oline and weapons, life is a lot easier behind center in Dallas theses days. I think Weeden can succeed, though the team ceiling may be a bit lower.

Coy

Reaction score
I think he can be productive and I'm 100% behind whoever is QBing for us.

But there's a reason the team has not had a winning record under any of those guys yet has never once had a losing record with Romo. He's far better overall.

But again, all three of those guys can help you win games. Orton certainly has helped Buffalo in the short term.
With this oline and weapons, life is a lot easier behind center in Dallas theses days. I think Weeden can succeed, though the team ceiling may be much lower.

Fixed it for ya. :)