Just a thought, if Weeden was our Hostetler

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with you.

Cleveland has been really bad for a long time, and they have drafted many QB's and failed to put together a good offensive program until this year. I think its early to write him off after a limted experience with a franchise that has looked out of sorts for years.

I have no idea what he can or cannot do, or what his potential is. He has a strong arm, he was a high draft pick and he did look good Monday night - granted it was 2 drives so we cant draw any conclusions from that other than he looked comfortable running the plays that were called in and that he did what he was asked.

Furthermore the way some of the passing rules have changed the game, it is more favorable toward QB's now and that should make it easier for guys to do some things now.

Arizona will be tough, thankfully we are at home.

the other thing unlike most backup Weeden does get ample reps during the week with Romo not taking the snaps on Wed. Weeden is running 1st team offense and the plays are not having to be changed for him.

Hoov

Reaction score
the other thing unlike most backup Weeden does get ample reps during the week with Romo not taking the snaps on Wed. Weeden is running 1st team offense and the plays are not having to be changed for him.[/quote]

i think that is very important to consider.

Hoov

Reaction score

somehow my post got put inside the quote with yours.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Giants had a great defensive team the year Hostetler had to take over for Simms in 1990. Hostetler never attempted more than 27 passes during the regular season that year. Even with the stellar running game the Cowboys have had with Murray Romo has had 5 games this season where he's attempted more than 27 passes. He attempted 41 passes vs Houston. It's a different era and there's still going to be more put on Weeden's plate than was put on Hostetler's 24 years ago. The Cowboys defense has played well for the most part this season but it's certainly not comparable with the Giants defense in 1990.

If you're going to have a QB drive the bus all the way to a championship you need a great running game which the Cowboys have but you also need an outstanding defense that can get to the QB. The Cowboys don't have the pass rush to win a championship with an average QB who's had turnover issues. A QB like Peyton Manning would dissect the Cowboys if they couldn't get to him. The 1990 Giants defense held Buffalo's red gun offense to 205 yards passing in the SB.

The Giants were able to possess the ball for over 40 minutes vs Buffalo. Hostetler had a season high of 32 attempts in the SB and was very efficient. He only had one turnover during regular season and zero turnovers during the playoffs and SB. Weeden isn't as steady a QB as Hostetler was. Weeden turns the ball over too much for the Cowboys to get very far with him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weeden can not be our Hostetler because Weeden did not go to WVU.

<---Drops WVU homer mic and walks away.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
dumped after 2 season, this is his 3rd. Hoyer has done well but he had been in the NFL for 4 years prior to going to Cleveland. As for others going after him I think age played a part in that but why someone else would not go after him I can't say, hell NYJ went after Vick? why. I'm not trying to claim Weeden is certain to be the next Kurt Warner frankly I don't know what he will do. I saw his 2 years at OSU and I know he has the ability to play at this level and I feel confident in him should he be forced into action

Right, dumped after his second season which shows how hopeless Cleveland thought he was as a starter. It was the new regime that dumped him but after studying his game film they obviously saw no future in him. If they saw even a glimmer of hope with him they would have given him one more season due to his first round draft status. The Browns are a stupid organization to invest a #1 pick on a 28 year old QB and end up having to dump them after only 2 seasons. I can't think of any team that's given up on a QB they drafted in the first round that quickly. I don't think Weeden's age played a big part in why teams weren't interested because most teams are in a win now mode. Buffalo went after Orton who's the same age as Weeden and benched their young #1 pick who they just drafted last year in favor of him.

The Jets who have a young second round QB went after a 34 year old Vick during the offseason who's already proven he's not the answer if you're looking to win a championship and now he's starting. Both Orton and Vick are 30 something QB's but they were seen as more viable at the position than Weeden. I would much prefer Orton over Weeden and the Cowboys would too but Orton didn't want to stay in Dallas. His departure forced the Cowboys to have to sign Weeden. Weeden should be able to play decently for the short term if a lot isn't put on his shoulders but I have no confidence the Cowboys can sustain the level of play we've seen this season with him at QB for the rest of the season.

If we get word at some point that Romo is done for the season the Cowboys will be done. It's not just the running game that's led to the Cowboys success this season it's Romo's ability to make plays. He's made some outstanding plays escaping the rush. He's had a great season with a 103.6 passer rating, 15 TD's and almost 2000 yards. Weeden would be a huge drop off no way could the Cowboys maintain the level of play we've seen this season without Romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right, dumped after his second season which shows how hopeless Cleveland thought he was as a starter. It was the new regime that dumped him but after studying his game film they obviously saw no future in him. If they saw even a glimmer of hope with him they would have given him one more season due to his first round draft status. The Browns are a stupid organization to invest a #1 pick on a 28 year old QB and end up having to dump them after only 2 seasons. I can't think of any team that's given up on a QB they drafted in the first round that quickly. I don't think Weeden's age played a big part in why teams weren't interested because most teams are in a win now mode. Buffalo went after Orton who's the same age as Weeden and benched their young #1 pick who they just drafted last year in favor of him.

The Jets who have a young second round QB went after a 34 year old Vick during the offseason who's already proven he's not the answer if you're looking to win a championship and now he's starting. Both Orton and Vick are 30 something QB's but they were seen as more viable at the position than Weeden. I would much prefer Orton over Weeden and the Cowboys would too but Orton didn't want to stay in Dallas. His departure forced the Cowboys to have to sign Weeden. Weeden should be able to play decently for the short term if a lot isn't put on his shoulders but I have no confidence the Cowboys can sustain the level of play we've seen this season with him at QB for the rest of the season.

If we get word at some point that Romo is done for the season the Cowboys will be done. It's not just the running game that's led to the Cowboys success this season it's Romo's ability to make plays. He's made some outstanding plays escaping the rush. He's had a great season with a 103.6 passer rating, 15 TD's and almost 2000 yards. Weeden would be a huge drop off no way could the Cowboys maintain the level of play we've seen this season without Romo.

and again 2nd coach in as many years and Cleveland track record at QB is not exactly great. I'm not trying to make him out as the next great again I don't know what he will do and as an inexperienced QB yes he has made bad reads and bad throws that is part of the learning. As for Orton in Buffalo they went out and got a very experienced QB to replace a young QB much different situation.

When some claim Weeden will never be a good QB that too is nothing more than opinion. Players develop he is not the 1st QB to enter the league and struggle and to take time to develop.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and again 2nd coach in as many years and Cleveland track record at QB is not exactly great. I'm not trying to make him out as the next great again I don't know what he will do and as an inexperienced QB yes he has made bad reads and bad throws that is part of the learning. As for Orton in Buffalo they went out and got a very experienced QB to replace a young QB much different situation.

When some claim Weeden will never be a good QB that too is nothing more than opinion. Players develop he is not the 1st QB to enter the league and struggle and to take time to develop.

Again Cleveland has gone through more than a dozen starting QB's since Kosar and not a single one of them amounted to anything once they left Cleveland. Maybe their confidence got destroyed in Cleveland but the fact is none of their castoffs ever became a viable NFL QB for another team. Weeden is inexperienced but most QB's who develop into solid NFL QB's don't regress from year one to year two which why the Browns got so discouraged with Weeden. As for Buffalo they signed Orton back in August to back up EJ Manuel not replace him. Orton ended up replacing him a few weeks ago due to poor play and the lack of development.

In this era of NFL football teams aren't as patient as they were years ago with these young QB's. If they're not showing progress from one season to the next they're going to end up on the bench. Like I said most teams are in a win now mode and are going after QB's and starting them regardless of their age. The Texans brought in a 31 year old journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick to start. They're not going to get far with him but he's a stopgap until they find a young franchise QB. They could have signed Weeden just like the Raiders could have but they went after a 33 year old Matt Schaub who smelled worse than death last season in Houston.

Look, Weeden may end up playing well if the Cowboys have to turn to him let's just hope they never have to. It's looking like they might for at least a game I'm just hoping Romo can play this week vs a tough AZ team and possibly rest him for JAX the following week then he'll have the bye for an additional week of rest. I would feel a lot better about the Cowboys chances with Weeden vs JAX than vs AZ.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"In this era of NFL football teams aren't as patient as they were years ago with these young QB's" I agree

As for the other older QB you mentioned (Fitz, Orton, Vick) teams went after them because of their experience be it as backup or a guy who could start. Weeden situation is different yes he has age but little experience and I think that was a big reason some did not want him in the draft and why some passed on him when he was released. Myself I saw a lot of him at OSU and like Holmgren I see a QB with good size at 6"04" decent speed running 4.8 40, strong arm and good character. What he lacks is experience at the pro level and I think Cleveland as always is quick to give up on QB's.

My views of Weeden do not change my view of who the starting QB in Dallas is and should be and that is Tony Romo but yes I do think Weeden can develop into a very good QB. Time will tell

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think he can be productive and I'm 100% behind whoever is QBing for us.

But there's a reason the team has not had a winning record under any of those guys yet has never once had a losing record with Romo. He's far better overall.

But again, all three of those guys can help you win games. Orton certainly has helped Buffalo in the short term.
With this oline and weapons, life is a lot easier behind center in Dallas theses days. I think Weeden can succeed, though the team ceiling may be a bit lower.

Oh certainly, I agree. Weeden would be a short term solution, I'm not under any illusion that he would be much more.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Giants had a great defensive team the year Hostetler had to take over for Simms in 1990. Hostetler never attempted more than 27 passes during the regular season that year. Even with the stellar running game the Cowboys have had with Murray Romo has had 5 games this season where he's attempted more than 27 passes. He attempted 41 passes vs Houston. It's a different era and there's still going to be more put on Weeden's plate than was put on Hostetler's 24 years ago. The Cowboys defense has played well for the most part this season but it's certainly not comparable with the Giants defense in 1990.

If you're going to have a QB drive the bus all the way to a championship you need a great running game which the Cowboys have but you also need an outstanding defense that can get to the QB. The Cowboys don't have the pass rush to win a championship with an average QB who's had turnover issues. A QB like Peyton Manning would dissect the Cowboys if they couldn't get to him. The 1990 Giants defense held Buffalo's red gun offense to 205 yards passing in the SB.

The Giants were able to possess the ball for over 40 minutes vs Buffalo. Hostetler had a season high of 32 attempts in the SB and was very efficient. He only had one turnover during regular season and zero turnovers during the playoffs and SB. Weeden isn't as steady a QB as Hostetler was. Weeden turns the ball over too much for the Cowboys to get very far with him.

Hers the thing I agree with most of what you said.... But...

A good, sustained offensive with our o-line/running game could keep defense off the field. Less chances for defense to have to defend is a good thing.

They are not horrible, they are serviceable with a touch "opportunistic" and "aggression".