Just a What If. 2016

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's hilarious how every talks about how Romo couldn't make it through a game. Do you remember his last injury? He didn't just get tackled in a normal fashion. He was going into a seated position with a rather large man on top of him putting all the pressure into his spine. I can't recall anyone else being tackled like that. Also, if you hadn't noticed (which I'm sure you have), it's now a penalty to land with your weight on the QB because it has a tendency to cause injury.
That particular tackle is proof some observers see all tackling as the same process. Forget about body mechanics, physics or anatomical deficiencies for a second. Just wipe that out of your mind. Again, that particular tackle is proof some observers see all tackling as the same process.

erod

Reaction score
If you think that the QB is the main reason the team lost. In a game where the team scored 30 points. And the QB is the MAIN reason for the loss.

Then I can’t help you. You’re just beyond helping.
Atlanta could have literally scored 60+ if they wanted to on Green Bay. They were atrocious.

And yet, there we were, one touchdown after three quarters and a couple field goals. Followed by the most brain-dead interception you'll ever see.

Shouldn't have been that hard of a game to win.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I remember saying that I kinda can't fault Heath because he's not a DE but all he had to do was punch or even slap at the back of Rodgers' elbow and there's no way he could have held on to the ball. Scandrick was right there to scoop it up too.

Heath-Sack-AP-2.gif

You’re right. And I felt the same. Can’t blame Heath. I’m sure safeties don’t work on the tomahawk move that DE’s do to knock a ball loose.

But man that play haunts me. We should have been lining up for the game winning FG the next play.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Atlanta could have literally scored 60+ if they wanted to on Green Bay. They were atrocious.

And yet, there we were, one touchdown after three quarters and a couple field goals. Followed by the most brain-dead interception you'll ever see.

Shouldn't have been that hard of a game to win.

And there is Erod. Completing ignoring how our defense also sucked and would have probably gotten smoked by the falcons and patriots too

Just so he can place all the blame on the player he doesn’t like.

Par for the course.

Romo starting would have totally stopped the falcons and patriots from slapping around our crappy defense. Just like Romo was able to prevent our crappy defense from getting slapped around the previous 10 years of his career.......

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
@Future

I noticed you deleted your post that “nobody is doing that”.

I guess it’s because you saw I am talking about Erod
Who literally is doing that.
Well, no he's not, unless I missed a post.

But I know that the difference between "blaming Dak" and "Tony gives a better shot to win" is lost on you, so I didn't want to bring it up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The redzone pick by Dak hurt, but he played well overall. The slow start by the offense and then the overall fail by the defense was what killed us.

Besides the things you listed, I think the main difference between the 2104 and 2016 games was the location.
It's not even comparable to play a home playoff indoors vs on the road in January at Lambeau. The home field is supposed to help the home defense (noise and pass-rush wise) tremendously.

The only other times Dallas has played a non dominant defense in a Home playoff game was last year vs Seattle and in 2009 vs Philly--whose D was decent but not great like the peaking 2007 Giants or the dominant 2014 Lions Ds were.

In that 2009 game, Dallas was leading 34-7 early in the 3rd period and Romo and the offense were heading toward 50 points and 450 yard passing before they completely shut it down for the easy win.

I want Dak and this Cowboys group to get home field advantage for more than one game. That was the recipe for New Orleans' SB win and often is the case for others.
Go Cowboys
:flagwave:
I had high hopes after securing homefield. High hopes... :(

DFWJC

Reaction score
I remember saying that I kinda can't fault Heath because he's not a DE but all he had to do was punch or even slap at the back of Rodgers' elbow and there's no way he could have held on to the ball. Scandrick was right there to scoop it up too.

Heath-Sack-AP-2.gif
Wish Heath would've stripped there. Heckuva hit! Amazing that AR held on to it.

erod

Reaction score
And there is Erod. Completing ignoring how our defense also sucked and would have probably gotten smoked by the falcons and patriots too

Just so he can place all the blame on the player he doesn’t like.

Par for the course.

Beaten by the Falcons, yes. Our 13-3 record was highly misleading. That was a 10-6 team with an easy schedule that was not ready for Atlanta.

But 30 points against Green Bay was the same as putting 13 on New England.

Dak was bad early, and you just can't do that against Aaron Rodgers, especially when the Packer defense was swiss cheese.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah, you can.

ALL DEFENSES get weary late. That's why so many points are scored late in games. Even the best defenses are exhausted by the fourth quarter.

There were 30 points easily to be had in those first three quarters. Dallas was moving the ball but couldn't score. Then, Dak threw a ridiculous interception on a bubble screen, and Rodgers had his chance to steal it.

@Future
This was his response to me asking if you can place all the blame on the QB. In a game
Where the defense gave up 30 points.

He says “yeah you can”

So clearly you did miss a post. Funny how I’m not questioning the other posters who have made the point that they think the team might have won with Romo and my questioning has been toward the one poster who placed all blame on the QB.

So maybe you’re the one unable to understand the argument.

erod

Reaction score
@Future
This was his response to me asking if you can place all the blame on the QB. In a game

So clearly you missed a post.
If you don't see that Romo's ability to throw was much better suited for that game, you just aren't worthy of a football discussion.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you don't see that Romo's ability to throw was much better suited for that game, you just aren't worthy of a football discussion.

That was never the argument. You’re the one who said you put all the blame on the QB and werent willing to acknowledge that the defense didn’t play well and wasn’t a good defense.

You’re apparently not worthy of any discussion because your comprehension sucks.

erod

Reaction score
That was never the argument. You’re the one who said you put all the blame on the QB and werent willing to acknowledge that the defense didn’t play well and wasn’t a good defense.

You’re apparently not worthy of any discussion because your comprehension sucks.

"All the blame" is a not a real comment. That's hyperbole for effect, which is fine, but you can't use that as a staple.

Of course, it's not all Dak's fault. But most of the blame that day? Yes. You can't wait three quarters to wake up against a D- defense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
@Future

He says “yeah you can”

So clearly you did miss a post. Funny how I’m not questioning the other posters who have made the point that they think the team might have won with Romo and my questioning has been toward the one poster who placed all blame on the QB.

So maybe you’re the one unable to understand the argument.
"Yeah, you can" and "It's Dak's fault Dallas lost" aren't the same thing.

HungryLion

Reaction score
"All the blame" is a not a real comment. That's hyperbole for effect, which is fine, but you can't use that as a staple.

Of course, it's not all Dak's fault. But most of the blame that day? Yes. You can't wait three quarters to wake up against a D- defense.

Call out my question as hyperbole but then throw out factually inaccurate comments to try and strengthen your point? Like “wait 3 quarters to wake up?

The offense scored 13 points in the first half. Not a great almost. But a far cry from nothing. It also completely ignores the fact that the QB isn’t the only reason the offense didn’t score more points in the first half. Other players on offense were making crucial mistakes too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Sure, ignore the context of all of his posts with how he answered that question, just to play semantics.

Go for it dude.
The context is that Tony would have been better, not that Dak was to blame lol.

You nitpick and skew points to cry about people bashing Dak all the time. This is par for the course.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo retired because his back was done. Every team in the league knew it.
He would have been taken out in the first game.
This is why he hung them up. His ego wouldn't have let him walk away, if he thought he could survive.
LET IT GO FOLKS.
Let me add this, if it wasn't for Dez's jump ball catches, 2014 would not have ended in the playoffs.
That was my concern as well.

I was a huge Romo fan and at the time Romo came back, I felt like he was still a much better quarterback than Dak. That said, I knew every time Romo got sacked it would turn into the "Romo Watch" wondering if he was going to be able to get back up.

I have said this many times over the years. I will take a good or better player who can start and finish games week after week over a guy who may be one of the best in the league at their position that may or may not make it through a game much less a season. Players like Tony Romo, Sean Lee, Miles Austin, etc. were really good players who definitely made the team better, but only when they could/can stay on the field. I think you can have those guys on your team, but you should not build around them or rely on them because they could be gone at any moment.

I think injuries to tight-ends is one of the main reasons the Cowboys wanted Witten back. He's not as fast as he was (not that he was ever really fast), and his blocking ability declined the last year he played (2017), but you know the odds are good he will be able to play game after game throughout the season.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The context is that Tony would have been better, not that Dak was to blame lol.

You nitpick and skew points to cry about people bashing Dak all the time. This is par for the course.

How is me pointing out that the defense hasn’t been good enough to win a super bowl for years, and has held back both Dak AND Romo, me Skewing something to cry about people Bashing Dak?

I’ve had this similar argument years ago on other message boards when people would blame
The QB for losses in games where the defense sucked. My posts in this thread have been about how the defense was not good enough and the primary reason for the loss. In defense of Romo.

People put way too much credit or blame
On the QB in general. IMO.

I have also said before that Romo was a better QB than Dak has been to this point. Especially older Romo after he really learned the game.

I still think our defense was never championship caliber. You start Romo. He still needs to play perfect ball to win. No room for error.

When your defense is that poor. All it takes is one badly timed pick, one fumble, one missed block and the team loses. Because the defense can’t and won’t bail out the offense.

Last edited: