Just another reason I'm glad we drafted Zeke

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zeke has a bigger impact on his team than almost any other player in the league, including Ramsey. That might change as the young Cowboys mature and learn to win with or without him. But right now, he is extremely impactful to the Cowboys' success. Not sure a cornerback, any cornerback, can make that kind of difference.

Outside of QB's, Zeke is one of the best players in the league. Gronk, Antonio Brown, Zeke, guys like that.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Comparing Zeke and Ramsey

Ramsey is pretty much unanimously regarded as the best at his position which has 2.5 starters at the position at any time. That's 1/80 starters

Zeke is widely groups with Gurley, Johnson, and Bell as the best backs in the league. RBs start 1.
So he's 1/32, 2/32, 3/32, or 4/32

Zeke has the 5th highest cap hit of all RBs this season.
Ramsey has the 27th highest cap hit of all CBs in the league

Running backs have shelf lifes of nearly three years shorter than RBs.

Its an easy decision looking back

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back then I was pissed we drafted Zeke over Ramsey.

Right now I'm still pissed we drafted Zeke over Ramsey.

Such a stupid mistake.
Can't agree that it was a mistake as both players are very good. At the time, the priority was get the QB some help and Elliott was as ready a RB for the NFL in all 3 phases as any in the last 10 years. He was not just another weapon for Romo but a player they could run the offense through and he was great at blocking in the backfield.

Elliott was the best pick to immediately help the offense and that's not a mistake. But, if SD hadn't picked Bosa, he might be a Cowboy. They had the choice of the best O player or D player on the board at 4 and either pick would be an A.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Zeke makes a huge difference on this team. Ramsey would not have. He benefited from an overall pretty good defense last year. His 1st year there, he really did not do much. He cannot carry that defense by himself. But Zeke has a huge impact on our offense.

Take off the dislike / like glasses for players, and look as to how they help a team.

Thats your wrong opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think it's funny how people scream that they don't want a RB high in the draft, but want a CB. Both have a generally very short shelf life, both have quite a few highly drafted busts. But the reason I prefer to draft RB's over CB's early is that CB's are one of the most overpaid positions in the NFL at this time.

erod

Reaction score
Back then I was pissed we drafted Zeke over Ramsey.

Right now I'm still pissed we drafted Zeke over Ramsey.

Such a stupid mistake.

This offense is built, and is entirely reliant, upon having a stud running back. Entirely. Murray and Zeke make it go.

Add Jalen and subtract Zeke, and the Cowboys would struggle scoring 17 points every week.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing Zeke and Ramsey

Ramsey is pretty much unanimously regarded as the best at his position which has 2.5 starters at the position at any time. That's 1/80 starters

Zeke is widely groups with Gurley, Johnson, and Bell as the best backs in the league. RBs start 1.
So he's 1/32, 2/32, 3/32, or 4/32

Zeke has the 5th highest cap hit of all RBs this season.
Ramsey has the 27th highest cap hit of all CBs in the league

Running backs have shelf lifes of nearly three years shorter than RBs.

Its an easy decision looking back
Not really because at that time this was a team all about the O and there was no RB on the team to run that O through. They needed the immediate impact player and in their mind, the missing triplet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's funny how people scream that they don't want a RB high in the draft, but want a CB. Both have a generally very short shelf life, both have quite a few highly drafted busts. But the reason I prefer to draft RB's over CB's early is that CB's are one of the most overpaid positions in the NFL at this time.
And how much you wanna bet he tops them all? And they know that because they're already preparing with some of the players they let walk. Ramsey will be the highest paid D player in history.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This offense is built, and is entirely reliant, upon having a stud running back. Entirely. Murray and Zeke make it go.

Add Jalen and subtract Zeke, and the Cowboys would struggle scoring 17 points every week.

I'm not going to agree with short term thinkers.

I think long term and if you think long term, Ramsey is the easy answer. It's not debateable even.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jalen Ramsey is arguably the best defensive player in football already, and he'll be in that category for the next decade.

Zeke will likely be gone in 2-3 years. Or, he won't be elite anymore anyway. Guys his size don't last long at that position.

Still, I'm glad we drafted Zeke and I was a big proponent of it.

Because we've seen what this offense looks like without an elite running back after Murray left and when Zeke was out last year.

In 2-3 years Zeke wont be elite anymore? Put the bottle down friend, you're drunk.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Not mentioned yet is the other option- move up just 2 spots and take Wentz.

Regardless, I believe using a rare, very high pick on a RB is a misallocation of resources.
Zeke is a great player though, I have to admit. A game changer.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Jalen Ramsey is arguably the best defensive player in football already, and he'll be in that category for the next decade.

Zeke will likely be gone in 2-3 years. Or, he won't be elite anymore anyway. Guys his size don't last long at that position.

Still, I'm glad we drafted Zeke and I was a big proponent of it.

Because we've seen what this offense looks like without an elite running back after Murray left and when Zeke was out last year.

No way is Ramsey the best Defensive player in football, what are you smoking? On the other hand, Zeke is arguably the best running back in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
In 2-3 years Zeke wont be elite anymore? Put the bottle down friend, you're drunk.
That's possible. And Jalen may not be either. CB's have a short shelf life, and often just one injury issues spells the end of their effectiveness.

However, looking at Zeke and the way he's built, I'd say offhand he'll be effective at least til the age of 30.