Just Curious Your Take On Our Coach?

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
I'll start this by saying I'm a pretty glass half-full kinda guy. But, wake me when the Parcells era is over.

So my question is has Parcells ever, since being the head of the Cowboys, just plain out-coached another really good or decent ball team?

I don't think so. He's a motivator, sure. A profuse profanity user, of course. But when is the last time you watched a Parcells coached Cowboys team and said wow that guy is a freakin' genius w/playcalling and game planning?
:confused:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1081186 said:
So my question is has Parcells ever, since being the head of the Cowboys, just plain out-coached another really good or decent ball team?

I would say... NO! Parcells is not an innovator or a guy who makes adjustments during the course of a game. He calls the plays and expects the players to execute them just like in practice.

I believe he can be a very good HC in certain areas but when it comes to game day he sucks because he is afraid to lose.

Ernie Zampese was like that too. He had a real knack for desiging plays and coming up with game plans but he could call a game to save his life. You would see him up in the booth gnawing away on his pencils and calling assinine plays. When he was the OC under Don Coryell in San Diego he was outstanding because he designed the plays & came up with the game plan but Coryell called the plays duriing the game. When he was the OC under Gailey(?) he stunk because he was horrible at calling the plays. Extremely talented guy but out of his element.

I also believe Parcells is afraid of losing face somehow by acknowledging that his game plan was somehow flawed. If you heard him after a game in which he had been horribly outcoached it is always about execution and he never takes responsibility for being outcoached (hasn't really happened this year yet but just wait). He seems to feel that he must maintain the illusion of his superior football knowledge and that if we didn;t play well then it was the players or assistant coaches, never him. His whole persona is based on his perfection in terms of his football knowledge.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Why was he calling the empty set formation? Even after it failed.....

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
im fed up with him. plus i feel like he doesn't call enough plays to use T.O.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This whole if we would've ran shotgun thing is a crock of you know what.

We couldn't have got Bledsoe enough time to throw the ball even if we would've brought the longsnapper out.

Plus when you do that you taking away 90% of your running plays which would have made us one deminsional, which also would've taken away our most productive offensive player from yesterday which was Julius Jones.

We were running 2 step drop plays and he got the ball knocked out of his hand. I've never seen that before.

cowboys19

Reaction score
Name me 5 current Head Coaches who have had more sucess than him. Name me 5 head coaches who are currently better than him.

I bet you cant

gbrittain

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that Campo got blamed for his three consecutive 5-11 seasons when he had no control over personnel.

Big Bill has control over personnel and coaching staff yet when Dallas falls flat on their face many do not want to put any blame on BP.

Now I am not saying Campo was a good coach or that I would ever want him back.

Regardless of wether the players are screwing up or it is his coordinators or a combination of both, he deserves the credit/blame.

I like BP, but it is time for this team to rise up and make a statement that Dallas is for real.

gbrittain

Reaction score
cowboys19;1081257 said:
Name me 5 current Head Coaches who have had more sucess than him. Name me 5 head coaches who are currently better than him.

I bet you cant

It is not relevan what he did back in the day, but it is very relevant what he has done the last four years.

I can find more than five coaches who have done better than him the last four years.

Unless taking a team from 5-11 to 9-7 is a great accomplishment.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1081240 said:

He was thrown at 13 times yesterday, weak point.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1081277 said:
He was thrown at 13 times yesterday, weak point.

Most of those throws were under throws, over throws, or interceptions...

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1081240 said:

I believe that too many plays were called to use TO, especially in the 2nd half. TO didn't pass the test, and dropped some catchable balls.

We were doing better by going to TG, as we did in the first half.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
otero1;1081287 said:
Most of those throws were under throws, over throws, or interceptions... So eat poop.

And thats all Bill Parcells fault, right?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Big Bill has control over personnel and coaching staff yet when Dallas falls flat on their face many do not want to put any blame on BP.

You want to know whats wrong with the guys Parcells has brought in here? Absolutely nothing.

Parcells isnt to blame yesterday. 24 points off turnovers, Roy letting a TE run right by him, and Pat Watkins was the reason we lost.

Stautner

Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1081186 said:
I'll start this by saying I'm a pretty glass half-full kinda guy. But, wake me when the Parcells era is over.

I don't think so. He's a motivator, sure. A profuse profanity user, of course. But when is the last time you watched a Parcells coached Cowboys team and said wow that guy is a freakin' genius w/playcalling and game planning?
:confused:

I don't recall ever saying that when Parcells won the Super Bowl.

Those of you who think "game planning" and "play calling" are the most vital parts of a football team just aren't paying attention.

Constantly blaming "game planning" and "play calling" is essentially looking for ways to hide deficiencies.

Look at most super bowl winning teams. They don't run complex systems or a lot of trick plays and complicated formations. They put together strong talent, build team unity and mental toughness, demand precise execution of the plays and go out and kick people's ***.

Look at our Cowboys in the 1990's - predictable as hell most of the time, but teams couldn't stop us anyway.

That said, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Parcells and his staff are blameless when we don't win - I'm sure there are things they could do better.

But those who don't realize that smoke and mirror gimmicks aren't the answer just don't understand football.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gbrittain;1081262 said:
I do find it interesting that Campo got blamed for his three consecutive 5-11 seasons when he had no control over personnel.

Now I am not saying Campo was a good coach or that I would ever want him back.

Regardless of wether the players are screwing up or it is his coordinators or a combination of both, he deserves the credit/blame.

I like BP, but it is time for this team to rise up and make a statement that Dallas is for real.

I agree. I never felt Campo was given the oppertunity to actually run the ball club. As for BP every win and every loss he shares the glory or blame he is the coach the buck stops here guy. It is his job to get the team ready and his responsibility when they are not executing the plays. It is his job to oversee all his assistant coaches and make sure things he is wanting done are getting done if they fail he shares in this. Having said that I do think Parcells is a very good coach and I still feel that this team will be better because of him both in the short term and the long term. I know this is not a popular stance right now after a big loss but I have not lost faith in Parcells or this team.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1081304 said:
You want to know whats wrong with the guys Parcells has brought in here? Absolutely nothing.

Parcells isnt to blame yesterday. 24 points off turnovers, Roy letting a TE run right by him, and Pat Watkins was the reason we lost.
you forgot drews fumble and his 3 picks( 1 of those was ran back 102 fraking yards)

gbrittain

Reaction score
CATCH17;1081304 said:

Whose fault was it when Campo's on the field studs performed badly?