Just Curious Your Take On Our Coach?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1081186 said:
I'll start this by saying I'm a pretty glass half-full kinda guy. But, wake me when the Parcells era is over.

So my question is has Parcells ever, since being the head of the Cowboys, just plain out-coached another really good or decent ball team?

I don't think so. He's a motivator, sure. A profuse profanity user, of course. But when is the last time you watched a Parcells coached Cowboys team and said wow that guy is a freakin' genius w/playcalling and game planning?
:confused:
I thought Parcells did a great job with the Quncy Carter led playoff team. Parcells got an awful lot out of that team. He did it with mirrors.

Year 2 was a lost year. The team lost its starting QB to drugs and/or mental issues and were stuck with Testaverde (who was brought in to mentor Carter). And there were a host of significant injury problems (Woodson and the defensive backfield).

Year 3 ... played well and showed promise until the last month or so of the season.

Year 4 - to be determined. The talent level of the current team is better than it has been for several years.

I like Parcells and think he's doing a fine job overall.

That said, I'd like to see the Cowboys make a switch at the QB position.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1081310 said:
I agree. I never felt Campo was given the oppertunity to actually run the ball club. As for BP every win and every loss he shares the glory or blame he is the coach the buck stops here guy. It is his job to get the team ready and his responsibility when they are not executing the plays. It is his job to oversee all his assistant coaches and make sure things he is wanting done are getting done if they fail he shares in this. Having said that I do think Parcells is a very good coach and I still feel that this team will be better because of him both in the short term and the long term. I know this is not a popular stance right now after a big loss but I have not lost faith in Parcells or this team.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I have however, lost a little confidence in Bill. I will be surprised if he is even back next year.

I feel they are obviously better since BP came on board, but in the NFL the days of taking 5 or 6 years to rebuild are over. If smart moves are made a NFL team can sky rocket into Super Bowl contention status.

I still like BP, but really this team needs to show me much more than they showed last year and so far this season looks like a carbon copy of last year.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
Sorry bro I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about his tenure w/ the Boys. His time here is what counts. So as far as his time here I'll give you 6.

Cowher-Constantly SB winner constantly in or around play-off year in year out. Started rookie QB (because of injury) and still won w/him.
Belicek- 3 X SB winner dumped our stuck w/a 6th round pick over our statue of a QB.
Dungy-Had Tampa Bay borderline w/his defense. Then one year wonder Gruden comes in and basically wins championship off of Tony's team. Keeps Colts at the top.
Fox-Has undrafted free agent QB playing well. Constantly on the cusp of either being in the SB or actually winning it, in a pretty tough division.
And sadly Andy Reid- Yep I said it. Has no running game to speak of yet still able to constantly be a contender, NFC championships, Division championships, team rubbled by injuries and TO last year and they are right back at the top.
Actually #6 I wouldn't want as a coach but I think he's done better and that is Schottenheimer (sp).

tommyboy10

Reaction score
gbrittain;1081325 said:
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I have however, lost a little confidence in Bill. I will be surprised if he is even back next year.

I feel they are obviously better since BP came on board, but in the NFL the days of taking 5 or 6 years to rebuild are over. If smart moves are made a NFL team can sky rocket into Super Bowl contention status.

I still like BP, but really this team needs to show me much more than they showed last year and so far this season looks like a carbon copy of last year.

Yeah, I agree on him not being back next year....it's now or never---hence the TO experiment. That's why Bledsoe will start ALL year. Bill won't go through possible growing pains with Romo. Not going to be an issue at all.

Which bears a bigger question---who will be our coach next year?

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
cowboys19;1081257 said:
Name me 5 current Head Coaches who have had more sucess than him. Name me 5 head coaches who are currently better than him.

I bet you cant

Currently better ...

Lovie Smith
Tony Dungy
Andy Reid
Bill Belichick
Brian Billick
Marty Schottenheimer
Mike Holmgren

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
After listening and watching B.P.'s press conference , I'm convinced

WE'RE SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His answers were vague and rediculous.
When asked how come we can't get the Ball to T.O. ,he said he was double covered. Then a reporter asked him how T.O. got all his catches on his previous teams while being double covered and BP says "I don't know"
I think B.P. is anti T.O. and is too close to D.B.

Biggest problem to fix Protecting the ball.

THREE INT's Bill,

It's going to be a long season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whose fault was it when Campo's on the field studs performed badly?

What studs would you be talking about? Tony McGee at tight end? Solomon Page at RT?

Maybe Aaron Gibson or Robert Thomas.

Even if your being sarcastic which I hope you are I watched the game yesterday and I saw what happened and none of that was on our coach.

Have you ever heard what Parcells preaches? Win the turnover battle and youll win the game.

I know what Parcells philosiphies are and I know that for us to give up 24 pts off turnovers and to still have a chance at the end of the day is amazing.

Had Campo of been there the game would've been over at 10-0. We recovered yesterday and got back in the lead at half. That wouldve never happened with Campo.

tommyboy10

Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1081331 said:
Sorry bro I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about his tenure w/ the Boys. His time here is what counts. So as far as his time here I'll give you 6.

Cowher-Constantly SB winner constantly in or around play-off year in year out. Started rookie QB (because of injury) and still won w/him.
Belicek- 3 X SB winner dumped our stuck w/a 6th round pick over our statue of a QB.
Dungy-Had Tampa Bay borderline w/his defense. Then one year wonder Gruden comes in and basically wins championship off of Tony's team. Keeps Colts at the top.
Fox-Has undrafted free agent QB playing well. Constantly on the cusp of either being in the SB or actually winning it, in a pretty tough division.
And sadly Andy Reid- Yep I said it. Has no running game to speak of yet still able to constantly be a contender, NFC championships, Division championships, team rubbled by injuries and TO last year and they are right back at the top.
Actually #6 I wouldn't want as a coach but I think he's done better and that is Schottenheimer (sp).

True...and another I would say that has been better than BP is probably Mora Jr. Ups and downs, but that team is better....and he has coached better. It's close between the 2, but I'd take Mora

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gbrittain;1081325 said:

I'll never tell another fan you must have faith you either do or you don't and I don't blame you for taking a stance of prove it to me that too is your right and does not make you any less or any more of a fan than I am. It is Bill job to prove it and while I think he will I can understand those with some doubts.

tommyboy10

Reaction score
CATCH17;1081343 said:
What studs would you be talking about? Tony McGee at tight end? Solomon Page at RT?

Even if your being sarcastic which I hope you are I watched the game yesterday and I saw what happened and none of that was on our coach.

Have you ever heard what Parcells preaches? Win the turnover battle and youll win the game.

I know what Parcells philosiphies are and I know that for us to give up 24 pts off turnovers and to still have a chance at the end of the day is amazing.

Had Campo of been there the game would've been over at 10-0. We recovered yesterday and got back in the lead at half. That wouldve never happened with Campo.

Win the turnover battle huh...Ok then, LET'S CALL SOME EMPTY SETS!

Great coaching...and then, when they fail and produce turnovers, LET'S GO BACK TO THEM!

The players make the plays, yes---but the coaches put them in the situation. Period

gbrittain

Reaction score
CATCH17;1081343 said:

You obviously missed the sarcasm there.

So when a bunch of duds that Campo had no part of drafting stink up the field it is Campo's fault.

When Bill's guys he brought in or drafted stink up the field it is well...the players fault.

Explain to me how that makes sense please.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BulletBob;1081340 said:
Currently better ...

Lovie Smith
Tony Dungy
Andy Reid
Bill Belichick
Brian Billick
Marty Schottenheimer
Mike Holmgren

Funny thing is guys like Holmgren were in the hot seat before last year with a lot of voices calling for his head and same with a few other names on that list. Funny how these guys can go from has beens to better coaches. :laugh2:

cowboys19

Reaction score
BulletBob;1081340 said:
Currently better ...

Lovie Smith
Tony Dungy
Andy Reid
Bill Belichick
Brian Billick
Marty Schottenheimer
Mike Holmgren

Tony Dungy has he won a Super bowl with the Colts yet?
Andy reid has he won a super bowl with the Eagles yet?
Marty Schottenheimer what has he done the last 4 years? win a superbowl?
Mike holmgren, has he won a super bowl with Seattle yet?

please i thought the goal is to win championships not 2nd place ****.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
Stautner;1081308 said:
I don't recall ever saying that when Parcells won the Super Bowl.

Those of you who think "game planning" and "play calling" are the most vital parts of a football team just aren't paying attention.

Constantly blaming "game planning" and "play calling" is essentially looking for ways to hide deficiencies.

Look at most super bowl winning teams. They don't run complex systems or a lot of trick plays and complicated formations. They put together strong talent, build team unity and mental toughness, demand precise execution of the plays and go out and kick people's ***.

Look at our Cowboys in the 1990's - predictable as hell most of the time, but teams couldn't stop us anyway.

That said, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Parcells and his staff are blameless when we don't win - I'm sure there are things they could do better.

But those who don't realize that smoke and mirror gimmicks aren't the answer just don't understand football.

Whoa whoa whoa. Good game planning and play calling are "smoke and mirrors and hiding dificiencies? Where in the world did you get that? Was Tom Landry, an innovator for the game who changed the way people played football, a freakin' magician? Dude you are lost on that bit. A great game day coach is just as important as talent evaluator who motivates. And I'm tired of settling. I want the whole package.

tommyboy10

Reaction score
cowboys19;1081368 said:

You answered your own argument-----LAST FOUR YEARS.

I ask you, has Tuna won one? Has he coached his team better than these guys?

Nope.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
cowboys19;1081368 said:

What has he done for us lately. We can rehash the past all you want to but it won't change the present. Seriously, reread the post, think clearly then respond. At least those guys coach during a game and don't sit on the sideline and sulk and cuss somebody when things don't go there way. They actually change the game plan when they're getting beaten or roughed up. Now go back reread the post and try answer again.

cowboys19

Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1081383 said:
What has he done for us lately. We can rehash the past all you want to but it won't change the present. Seriously, reread the post, think clearly then respond. At least those guys coach during a game and don't sit on the sideline and sulk and cuss somebody when things don't go there way. They actually change the game plan when they're getting beat or roughed up. Now go back reread the post and try answer again.

i thought the goal is to win championships? am i right? if so there arent 5 coaches who have done this the last 4 years

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
cowboys19;1081368 said:

Your original question was broken into two parts.

cowboys19 said:
Name me 5 current Head Coaches who have had more sucess than him. Name me 5 head coaches who are currently better than him.

I bet you cant

I answered the second part (even highlighted the word "currently" so you'd understand the exact part to which I was referring). You retorted by addressing the first part (about past success).

I named 7 who are currently better. Consider their records and how their teams are currently playing ...

Lovie Smith
Tony Dungy
Andy Reid
Bill Belichick
Brian Billick
Marty Schottenheimer
Mike Holmgren

tommyboy10

Reaction score
BulletBob;1081388 said:
Your original question was broken into two parts.

I answered the second part (even highlighted the word "currently" so you'd understand the exact part to which I was referring). You retorted by addressing the first part (about past success).

I named 7 who are currently better. Consider their records and how their teams are currently playing ...

AMEN.

Fo Rizzle my Nizzle