Just for fun the Brady option vs Dak option

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure it does. If you’re not going to be able to get a deal to with Dak, and especially if he holds out, then it’s time to move in another direction.

If Dak decides to be a bonehead and wait until Sept 12 to sign, something by the way that gives him no additional leverage and would be done just to spite the team, it’s a blow to the 2020 season. Jerry has compiled an incredibly talented roster - and if the QB who has to lead it is going to start week 1 with minimal knowledge of the playbook, no reps and no chemistry with his new center and receiver, it could cost you the season.

Why would you say that Brady was never going to come here? You don’t think that he’d rather play for America’s team with this star studded offense over Tampa Bay? Huh?

Jerry had the chance to sign Brady and develop a young QB over the next two years, as OP wrote. We blew it. Let’s just both hope as Cowboys fans now that either Dak’s deal gets done or he’s that he’s not a bonehead and signs his tender on July 16.
No, I don't. He has the best receiving corps and a QB friendly HC in TB and he's not a circus act.

Develop a young QB? Look at who they tried to take before settling on Prescott. You trust these people to find the next franchise QB? They luck into them, they do not find or develop them.

Prescott will not wait until the last minute to sign the tag and show up. He has too much riding on this, like all of that endorsement money. If he was ever planning to hold out, this shut down and 20% unemployment derailed that. He would get 0 sympathy and be the most hated pro athlete in the world. Neither he nor his agent is stupid.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think with current situation, they should have tried to get brady, as a stop gap to drafting a new guy.
Signed brady to 2 year deal and they would have a better chance at a SB.
Imagine brady with our OL, elliot, cooper, lamb, gallup, jarwin, and gronk for 3rd down plays.

Now I know some say brady is done etc, but with our offense, insert Brady and Gronk, and
dont you think it could lead to the SB?

I don't recall Dak giving up 34 points to the Packers at home. I also don't recall him giving up 275 yards rushing and 30 points to the Rams.

Brady and Gronk beat that same Rams team 13-3 a few weeks later, thanks to something Cowboys fans don't seem to value - defense and special teams.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Brady is the better option and its not even close. Even though I think Brady has declined he still has a precision short to mid game. Tampa has better WRs but Dallas has a better running game. But the difference would be that Brady doesnt have the cold spells that Dak goes through. Watching Dak go 3 quarters of football essentially doing nothing is what kills this defense. People want to blame defense and special teams for losses and that is part true but Daks inability to keep drives alive is what causes problems. If you look at the Rams playoff game, Daks opening drive was great but after that he went MIA on keeping drives alive and the Defense couldnt stop the run but Dak couldnt keep the offense on the field long enough for the defense to regroup. Stats say Dak outplayed Goff but in reality what stats didnt show was Goff made the important throws on 3rd downs.

good post, and also it is getting that 1st down at beginning of possession.
Maybe someone could post the stats on that with dak and brady.

Now I will concede dak was playing under bozo coaches, but other little things I see make me think he has reached his ceiling.
Dak is not going to get much smarter or much better at passing, reading defenses calling audibles calling protections etc etc.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
First... Not every post has to disintegrate into an argument. Second... GB dumped MM because of Rodgers and his antics. It's well documented if you care to do any research. Additionally, MM interviewed with Carolina, New York, and Cleveland before deciding on Dallas. I have no idea how many teams actually contacted him. Third... I never came down on the side of keeping Dak at 35 million a year. Fourth... Tom Brady is on record during several interviews saying he and Gisele discussed where they would like to end up and the benefits of each location. Once again, do some research.

Here's an excerpt from one.

During an interview Tuesday on NFL Network, NFL Media's Jim Trotter reported that "family considerations" led Brady to agree to play in Tampa Bay instead of Los Angeles.

"Everything I’ve been led to believe is that it’s not about money, it’s not about personnel or any of that. It’s simply about family considerations," Trotter said.

The 42-year-old quarterback has stressed the importance of having family time during recent Patriots offseasons, so it's not surprising he chose Tampa Bay (three-hour flight from New York) over L.A. (six-hour flight)."

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess those conversations about family considerations took place between him and his wife, not between him and his dog. Of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before.
I heard or read a little about that too, and I concede Brady may not have wanted to come here, and that he never liked the cowboys.
But..... if Jerry had wanted him and brady would talk to him then it would have been up to jerry to persuade him , and jerry is good at doing
that. Tell him you will let him use a private jet for speedy trips home.

My problem is the fact they didnt even try, or consider it. If they had and brady chose TB anyway then all is good.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No, I don't. He has the best receiving corps and a QB friendly HC in TB and he's not a circus act.

Develop a young QB? Look at who they tried to take before settling on Prescott. You trust these people to find the next franchise QB? They luck into them, they do not find or develop them.

Prescott will not wait until the last minute to sign the tag and show up. He has too much riding on this, like all of that endorsement money. If he was ever planning to hold out, this shut down and 20% unemployment derailed that. He would get 0 sympathy and be the most hated pro athlete in the world. Neither he nor his agent is stupid.
Well now that JG and his clown coaches are gone I think they would do a better job on drafting a QB. I like the dinucci kid, and draft was very good
this year and I think new hc and coaches had a hand in that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't recall Dak giving up 34 points to the Packers at home. I also don't recall him giving up 275 yards rushing and 30 points to the Rams.

Brady and Gronk beat that same Rams team 13-3 a few weeks later, thanks to something Cowboys fans don't seem to value - defense and special teams.
those were only 2 games, and your post is sort of off topic to the thread, and what you qouted.
With brady we would have had more money to spend on defense, and our qb would already be signed instead of the distraction that we have now.
Brady would already be at work learning stuff .

DFWJC

Reaction score
Its all make believe and Dak is our guy.

But really, I cant begin to imagine how good Brady would be with Zeke, this line, plus Cooper, Lamb, Gallup
It would be way more he’s ever had if you combine it all

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I don't think Brady will do well in Tampa Bay. His skills have deteriorated, and that's not that good of a team. I don't think Brady would be the right guy for us even as a stop gap.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
There was only one decision to make. Is Prescott the future? If he is, then you go that route. If not, there were other options, such as Brady. Do you want these people, the same ones that tried to trade up for Lunch, trying to find a QB better than Prescott over the next 2 years?

Boom. There you go, this is it in a nutshell. What us fans think is irrelevant. Jerry needed to decide whether Dak is his guy or not. If he isn’t, Brady was far and away the best option on the market and yes, he would have come here, to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Now then, if Dak is your guy, you get this deal done. You don’t want Mahomes to get done first.

The problem is that it takes two to tango and I’m starting to truly believe that Todd France doesn’t want a deal done this year. He wants his client to pocket that $31M in 2020 and play for an enormous contract next year.

So there’s the wrench. If there’s any positive to this, it is that if Dak falls on his face in 2020, Jerry will still have an out next offseason.

And that’s why I don’t get the strategy from Dak’s side. Just sign the franchise tender, absorb the playbook, lead this team deep into the playoffs in 2020 and get your $40M+/year. But this strategy of playing hardball on a deal and not participating in offseason activities, well it seems like a recipe for failure to me. ‍

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

From your lips to God’s ears, because that is what needs to happen for a) Dak to get his contract and b) the Cowboys to have a successful season.

However you are using logic and a lot of things that have happened, to me, has defied logic. And I don’t think you are right. I hope that you are, but I don’t think that he’ll be in camp on August 1st.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m starting to truly believe that Todd France doesn’t want a deal done this year. He wants his client to pocket that $31M in 2020 and play for an enormous contract next year.
that is what it looks like to me .
what that will do is maximize the amount of guaranteed money for dak.
a 2nd tag year even more.
So 31 mil G this year 36 G in 21
Then a contract with say 150 G totals up to over 200 mil G
Then dak can buy a yacht too, no SB rings , but hey look at my yacht !!!!!!!!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
that is what it looks like to me .
what that will do is maximize the amount of guaranteed money for dak.
a 2nd tag year even more.
So 31 mil G this year 36 G in 21

Think about it - he could have signed last year and made $32M, the offer on the table last August, but instead he played for his 4th round ($2M) contract. That’s some $30M lost, poof, gone.

This year he will play on the franchise tag, $31M, when he’s being offered $35M. There goes another $4M, now we’re up to $34M gone.

So to recuperate that money, he needs a really big contract next year. Even if he gets a 4-year $40M/year contract, he’s only recuperating $8M per year over the original offer of $32M, $36M total over 4 years.

In other words, I expect his agent to go BIG.

basel90

Reaction score
I think with current situation, they should have tried to get brady, as a stop gap to drafting a new guy.
Signed brady to 2 year deal and they would have a better chance at a SB.
Imagine brady with our OL, elliot, cooper, lamb, gallup, jarwin, and gronk for 3rd down plays.

Now I know some say brady is done etc, but with our offense, insert Brady and Gronk, and
dont you think it could lead to the SB?

Brady would have cost 27 mil a year, so they could have saved money for spending on defense,
and had 2 years to draft a new QB prospect, along with maybe dinucci shows promise.

Brady would inspire other players and give them confidence, and he is probably the smartest QB playing now.
I think this will come into play with the tampa team now.

So 2 years of Brady , then a new QB at the cheaper rate .

I think that would have been the smart move but jones boys want to pay dak and commit to him for next 4-8 years, like they think they cant do any better than dak.

Dak isnt a bad qb, he just isnt great, and for less money they could have had a 5 time SB winner
who has all that experience, and I think has a couple years left .
Especially with what he would have had on offense to work with.
I think he would have had more talent here on offense than what tampa has.

But all this said he might not have wanted to play here I dont know, but the bad thing is the jones boys
didnt even talk to him.
They would rather do the contract dance with dak .:huh:

I think that if dak were let go now, no other team would sign him for more than 28 mil,
and the only team that might want him is the jags.
Other teams might sign him for way less money as a possible starter if their guy doesnt play well.

But this is more about the what if we had brady, than a bash dak thread.

So if brady leads TB to the playoffs, and further, it could have been us.
And I would like to see TB vs Dallas in playoffs, and see what happens.
Bringing Brady would have given the cowboys the best chance for a super bowl in the next 2 years with
Defensive re-enforcements . It would be similar to what Elway thr GM with the broncos did by bringing Manning ( despite age and a bad neck injury ) and winning the super bowl .

basel90

Reaction score
I dont know what that means lol.
but by dak struggling, watch the GB game from last year and see what I am refering to.
Dak choked and disappeared in far too many crucial games . He also escaped the blame due to the fans directing their anger at jason garret. Which was also a legitimate concern as well . My fear is that we overpay Dak and find out we have a mediocre QB who has accuracy issues and cannot make a difference against good teams like we saw last year .

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I'm in agreement that going after Brady would of been a good idea, we could of got a two for one deal!!!! Brady and his hot wife sitting and cheering up in the luxury box who actually knows something about football.....ha-ha!!!!! Just kidding ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't think Brady will do well in Tampa Bay. His skills have deteriorated, and that's not that good of a team. I don't think Brady would be the right guy for us even as a stop gap.
LOL brady was 10-1 last year after beating our cowboys, pretty good for a washed up guy who had little to work with.
TB was 7-9 , and with brady and gronk they can improve on that enough to get in playoffs.
Once in bradys experience will help TB.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
LOL brady was 10-1 last year after beating our cowboys, pretty good for a washed up guy who had little to work with.
TB was 7-9 , and with brady and gronk they can improve on that enough to get in playoffs.
Once in bradys experience will help TB.

Tampa Bay ain't New England. They'll have some chance at success, but he's not transforming TB into Super Bowl champions. They might get into the playoffs. Maybe.