Just for the record Free Agency is so overrated

Big_D

Reaction score
Avoiding it like the plague is really working out well.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone gets so fired up when the Cowboys don't make many moves but ya gotta admit who is a must sign for any team plus the Cowboys rely on their draft to get better and not some over the hill veteran who's looking for one more big pay day. Remember when the Cowboys signed Makenzie Bernardo and Nate Livings in 2012 boy did they suck! How about Brandon Carr ya pretty much a non factor and whatabout the D tackle from Buffalo Martellus Wiley yup another suckage! Now don't get me wrong the Cowboys have brought in a couple of good ones like Deion Sanders, Anthony Henry, and L'roy Clover but that's when they had cap space unlike today.
Most of the time it is but you gotta be in it to win it so wheeling and dealing is part of the championship formula in today's cap era.
Key word..............CAP

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's right. I suspect they will. They will make some cap space and have some draft capital in 2025 picks that they can use to make trades and sign some cap casualties that are cut.
For some reason we write off the 2023 draft class. The top 7 picks from that draft should all get shots to play next season.

rambo2

Reaction score
For some reason we write off the 2023 draft class. The top 7 picks from that draft should all get shots to play next season.
That's right and they very well could hit on some of them. Also, Bass, Luepke, and the tight end that got hurt in the preseason.

Ken

Reaction score
And this team flames out miserably for 28+ years in a row.

While the Rams have won 2 SB's since Jerry decided he was a football guy.

So which way worked better?
Again...they don't even make the Super bowl with Stafford etc if that gimme pick was caught.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're right free agency isn't usually the place you want to build your core team. Teams often don't let great players get away for nothing and you mostly get average to above average players for big contracts. However, sometimes you find a good one, but its typically a proven player entering their 3rd contract or later part of their career.
Ummmmmmmmm Jimmy Johnson traded for Charles Hailey he was not a free agent and you can see I already mentioned Deion but thanks anyway.
And who have we traded for?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This year, sure. Last year there were guys available that could've helped in the defensive trenches. They opted to draft 2 guys. One was an afterthought and the other got hurt early. I believe that and the blatant disregard to RB cost us a solid run. You plug holes in FA and build the future in the draft. Sometimes you need more than cheap masking tape to plug a hole.
Well maybe, but I'd say the QB was the biggest post season stopper 3 years running

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's right and they very well could hit on some of them. Also, Bass, Luepke, and the tight end that got hurt in the preseason.
The Joneses basically blew up the team after the disappointing loss to the Packers but kept the best players from that team. Fans are crying about the loss of JAGS.

mcmvp

Reaction score
They got 2 last year and Lance. They can also sign any player that is cut.
They spent current year’s draft capital on Cooks and Gilmore (only a 6th for the following draft).

And Lance? Really? I said ‘impact’ players

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Wiley to this day brags about it. I know that bothers the Joneses.
In Wiley's case it really makes him look bad. Admitting he was playing like crap and getting paid for it makes him look worse than the Joneses; and that's really saying something.

rambo2

Reaction score
They spent current year’s draft capital on Cooks and Gilmore (only a 6th for the following draft).

And Lance? Really? I said ‘impact’ players
Did I say that Lance was an impact player?

coult44

Reaction score
Everyone gets so fired up when the Cowboys don't make many moves but ya gotta admit who is a must sign for any team plus the Cowboys rely on their draft to get better and not some over the hill veteran who's looking for one more big pay day. Remember when the Cowboys signed Makenzie Bernardo and Nate Livings in 2012 boy did they suck! How about Brandon Carr ya pretty much a non factor and whatabout the D tackle from Buffalo Martellus Wiley yup another suckage! Now don't get me wrong the Cowboys have brought in a couple of good ones like Deion Sanders, Anthony Henry, and L'roy Clover but that's when they had cap space unlike today.
When you have almost 10 starters to replace? Yea, I stopped reading after the title…

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just because Dallas chose to scape from the bottom of the barrel....doesn't mean free agency doesn't work. That's this front offices fault for not knowing how to make smart decisions acquiring talent...or being able to identify quality players that are being let go because the previous team was in cap trouble.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again...they don't even make the Super bowl with Stafford etc if that gimme pick was caught.
How many gimme picks has Dak thrown that were dropped ....... difference is that Stafford makes mistakes, but does not look like a deer in the headlights.

rambo2

Reaction score
How many gimme picks has Dak thrown that were dropped ....... difference is that Stafford makes mistakes, but does not look like a deer in the headlights.
Sometimes Stafford looks like a wounded deer.

Loso86

Reaction score
Facts. They will go on to win 11 or 12 games still