Just the stats --- Skins 2005 defensive statistics w/ and w/o Lavar Starting

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Here’s just a look at the Skins stats last year when Lavar was starting and when he wasn’t starting:

LAVAR STARTING (11 GAMES)

87.9 rushing yards allowed per game

3.7 yards allowed per carry

1.18 fumbles recovered per game

1.36 interceptions per game

1 INT per 26.7 pass attempts defended

1 TD allowed per 36.5 passing attempts defended

2.72 sacks per game

1 sack per 13.37 passing attempts defended

6.4 passing yards allowed per attempt.

55.6% completion allowed

68.7 QB rating allowed

LAVAR NOT STARTING (7 GAMES)

131.7 rushing yards allowed per game

4.8 rushing yards allowed per carry

0.28 fumbles recovered per game

0.43 interceptions per game

1 INT per 66.3 passing attempts defended

1 TD allowed per 39.8 passing attempts defended

1.43 sacks per game

1 sack per 19.9 passing attempts defended

5.9 passing yards allowed per passing attempt

53.8% completion percentage allowed

73.2 QB Rating allowed

Note that when Arrington wasn’t starting, Washington faced Kyle Orton in his first start ever at FedEx, Alex Smith in his first start ever at FedEx, and the Broncos in a torrential downpour.

Rich……………

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wimbo said:
WOW... Did you research that? Good job.

I wonder why he would bother doing that for a Commanders player.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
:bow:

Great job.

And also quite revealing.

Good thing you didn't post this before the Commanders cut him. :)

Thanks, well done.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Arrington's effect on the Commanders defense is pretty obvious if you watch them enough. He's an emotional igniter and he gets everyone around him to play at a higher level. (Something I think we've sorely missed in the Ellis/Dat/Glover/Roy defensive era). Everytime he makes a play the entire Commanders defense is jumping around and getting fired up. I think he can be a real impact player if used properly in the right system.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I wonder why he would bother doing that for a Commanders player.

I'm curious about football, players, and the impacts they have on the game. Plus, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Lavar could be signed by Dallas. For all of the talk of him being "overrated" and freelancing too much, he certainly had a very positive effect on their defense when he was starting.

He'd only be 28 years old next year and he's sort of painted into a corner of this being his last shot to comply with a coaching staff or his greatness as a player may be over. Plus, I think anybody who buys out his contract to get out of playoff team probably has incentive and a grudge to prove them wrong.

I'm not saying that we must get Lavar and I still might like McGinest over him if the price is right.

But if they did get Lavar and he does perform, they can than focus on safety, tackle, guard, and nose guard more than almost having to find a OLB in the first round.

Oh yeah....."no frontline starters will be cut" was something that has made me giggle when it comes to Skins fans.

Rich.........

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
clayman said:
Another Skins thread? WOOHOO

Its a thread about a free agent who plays a position the Cowboys will actively persue this offseason.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Its a thread about a free agent who plays a position the Cowboys will actively persue this offseason.

It also concerns a player we are more than likely not even consider because of his representation and also style of play.

An undisciplined player who is represented by the Postons?

I doubt he is even a passing thought at Valley Ranch.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I might get bashed a lot for this one...

But does anyone else think Parcells will look at Arrington as his 2006 model of L.T?

Arrington has all the physical tools, and just does what he wants. Isn't that how L.T played? An emotional leader who gets his teammates to rally around him.. Isn't that what L.T did?

Im not at all saying Arrington is in the same caliber as L.T but, aren't they at least comparable in that way?

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Note that when Arrington wasn’t starting, Washington faced Kyle Orton in his first start ever at FedEx, Alex Smith in his first start ever at FedEx, and the Broncos in a torrential downpour.

Rich……………

Lavar did start against the 49ers. That was his first game "back" from the doghouse

A little better indication I feel, the points allowed in games with and without Lavar (although you make a good little point about Kyle Orton)

1) Chicago-7

2) Dallas-13

3) Seattle- 17

4) Denver- 21

5) KC-28 (7 on a fumble TD)

Now where Lavar did get big playing time

6) San Fran- 17

7) NYG- 36

8) Iggles- 10 (first game without TO)

9) Tampa- 36 (Lavar missed Alstott on the alleged made 2 point conversion)

10) Raidahs- 16 (how did both our teams lose to the freakin Raiders?)

11) San Diego- 23

12) Rams- 9

13) Cards- 13

14) Cowboys - 7 :laugh2:

15) Giants- 20 (7 of which came on an INT return for a TD)

16) Iggles- 21

So 2 of our worst defensive games of the season came with Lavar in the lineup full time (Tampa and the Giants) You also have to realize Lavar was taken out on 3rd downs

It was clear though that Warrick Holdman was NOT an adequete replacement for Lavar. Lavar was better in there then Warrick Holdman was

What is clear is that the Commanders (as always guys ;) ) have someone in mind to replace Lavar. My guess? Mr. Will Witherspoon in Carolina

Woods

Reaction score
Alexander said:
It also concerns a player we are more than likely not even consider because of his representation and also style of play.

An undisciplined player who is represented by the Postons?

I doubt he is even a passing thought at Valley Ranch.

For an "undisciplined" player, I am surprised how much better (statistically) the defense performed with L. Arrington in the line up than out of the line up.

I, too, have heard that he freelances too much, was benched by G. Williams, etc., but I thought these stats would reflect that more.

In any case, I don't see BP/JJ dealing with the Postons and I don't think Lavar comes to Dallas. If BP does sign him, he really is going for it this year . . . .

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
But does anyone else think Parcells will look at Arrington as his 2006 model of L.T?

Comparing anyone to LT is unfair.

But do I seem him as a 2006 version of Bryan Cox? Absolutely.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Muhast said:
I might get bashed a lot for this one...

Arrington has all the physical tools, and just does what he wants. Isn't that how L.T played? An emotional leader who gets his teammates to rally around him.. Isn't that what L.T did?

Im not at all saying Arrington is in the same caliber as L.T but, aren't they at least comparable in that way?

I agree. There's a lot of positive about Lavar....I think it's a question of getting the right coaching staff and the right price.

Like these stats show, for all of his supposedly undisciplined play, he was a major impact on their defense over the more disciplined Warrick Holdman.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased because I always remember him playing really well every time he faced Dallas, but I wouldn't object to them signing him at a reasonable price.

Plus, you have to admit the amount of satisfaction in seeing him flourish in a Cowboys uni along with playing big games against the Skins would be more than worth it....on many levels. :D

Rich.........
notices the Skins boards already throwing him under the bus

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Lavar did start against the 49ers. That was his first game "back" from the doghouse

Not according to the official book kept by the NFL. Check out these links:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051023_SF@WAS
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051030_WAS@NYG

As you can see, Warrick Holdman started both of those games.

So 2 of our worst defensive games of the season came with Lavar in the lineup full time (Tampa and the Giants)

He wasn't the starter in the first NYG game.

What is clear is that the Commanders (as always guys ) have someone in mind to replace Lavar.

Then why did they sign him to a mammoth contract? Was that just part of Snyder's "good plan in place" if the CBA didn't get extended?

My guess? Mr. Will Witherspoon in Carolina

Depends on if the CBA gets extended. I think if it does then there's a decent shot, although they'll have to compete with other teams. If it doesn't, then they will have some trouble getting a guy who will come with a decent price tag and get comfortably under the cap.

Rich............

wileedog

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
But do I seem him as a 2006 version of Bryan Cox? Absolutely.

That was my immediate thought.

Although the Postons are still a major hurdle, and by buying out his own contract I would take that to mean the Arrington is expecting big bucks coming his way. His contract expectations may not be worth it considering the risks.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Not according to the official book kept by the NFL. Check out these links:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051023_SF@WAS
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051030_WAS@NYG

As you can see, Warrick Holdman started both of those games.

He wasn't the starter in the first NYG game.

Then why did they sign him to a mammoth contract? Was that just part of Snyder's "good plan in place" if the CBA didn't get extended?

Depends on if the CBA gets extended. I think if it does then there's a decent shot, although they'll have to compete with other teams. If it doesn't, then they will have some trouble getting a guy who will come with a decent price tag and get comfortably under the cap.

Rich............

Actually you are right about the 49ers game, Lavar came in about 3 plays into the game, so yeah he didn't start.

Same with the first NYG game, Lavar came in a few plays later.

As for the mamoth contract, I had no idea at the time either. Seemed a bit much for a LB, and it was clear that Champ Bailey was not going to be sticking around

If the CBA does not get extended, you are right, we will have a difficult time filling the need via FA. But since we all know it will (because of all the delays) I think we will be just fine finding a solid replacement (not Lavar level of talent, but maybe better level of play) in FA

wileedog

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
If the CBA does not get extended, you are right, we will have a difficult time filling the need via FA. But since we all know it will (because of all the delays) I think we will be just fine finding a solid replacement (not Lavar level of talent, but maybe better level of play) in FA

I don't know, even if the CBA does get extended and the cap pushed up $10M or more, I think you will still have problems landing FA's.

Remember every other team in the league will be getting $10M more to play with too. However there will be no change in the number of actual FA's available.

More $$$$ + Same # of FA's = much more expensive contracts.

Even just 'solid' guys like Witherspoon might see significant signing bonuses from teams who will have more cash than they thought they would. And if I'm reading correctly you guys have already done all the significant restructuring that you can.

Guess we'll see.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Great work. I unlike many would be very interest in Dallas signing him. He has the emotional attitude that our defense lacks. However, didn't his come back to starting right around Sean Taylor coming back?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:

He didn't start against the 49ers. Washington, Marshall and Holdman were the Skins' starting linebackers.

So 2 of our worst defensive games of the season came with Lavar in the lineup full time (Tampa and the Giants)

Arrington didn't start when the Skins gave up 36 points against the Giants.