Just watched GB vs Dallas 2016 Divisional Round of Playoffs in Dallas - So Glad Garrett is Gone!

Trendnet

Reaction score
Prescott struggled for a quarter and a half then played well against a truly horrific secondary. Guys off the street type stuff.
Old news but Romo should have started that game. His experience would have settled down our D imo as well. Plus no way Romo spikes the ball late on - he runs another play against a banged up defense on their knees. But that's why you don't play a rookie in this game with a vet like Romo on your roster.

So yes it was Garrett's fault but for a different reason.

Pretty much this. This was the main failure in Garrett's tenure at Dallas. Believing in nonsense like "hot hand" and "momentum" .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That game was ours to win!!!!!!!

The score was tied 31-31 and we received the kickoff with around 1:45 on the clock. We quickly move down the field. We just made a 1st down. We are on the 41 yard line, just out of Bailey’s FG range, the clock is just under 1 minute and we have a TIMEOUT!! The clock is moving.

I am yelling at the TV, “call a timeout, don’t waste a play, don’t spike the ball”. Of course if you spike the ball you decrease your chances of getting a first down on the upcoming series by 33%!!!! That is Gigantic!! We had plenty of time and a timeout. There was no reason AT ALL to waste a down by spiking the ball!!! What does Garrett do? Calls for the spike!! So dumb!! Beasley gains 7 on 2nd and gets out of bounds, then a ball is tipped at the line, incomplete pass on 3rd down. WE SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER DOWN to continue the drive, but no, we wasted a down spiking the ball and STILL HAVE THE TIMEOUT!!!! We are forced to have Bailey try 52 yard FG. He makes it, but GB still has over 30 seconds to get into FG Range.
Rogers makes a great play, while Irving is being held, on 3rd down. They gain 25 yards and then kick the game winning FG.

Great News!! Garrett is now GONE, and McCarthy a Super Bowl winning HC is now in charge!!

GO Cowboys! We now have REAL hope!
how many time outs were left? and baily made the field goal...so we were up. I remember the game screaming at the screen...our defense sucked. Rodgers was hobbled in that game and played on one leg...we couldn't pressure him and allowed them to score with 30 seconds to go....that's pathetic.

Flamma

Reaction score
The most painful loss in the last 14 years (Romo botched snap hurt).

I was in attendance for this game and the Dez “no catch” game. But this took the cake easily.

Garrett, who had 3 weeks to prepare, has the team come out flat.

This was also the game that made me realize despite the injuries and setbacks, Dez was still a monster. He literally took over

The botched snap game didn't bother me. The Cowboys were not a good team that year. Like an Eagles fan this year, what were their expectations in the playoffs? Not only that, people act as if that was a win or lose FG. There was around 1:20 left in the game.

BigD_95

Reaction score
The most painful loss in the last 14 years (Romo botched snap hurt).

I was in attendance for this game and the Dez “no catch” game. But this took the cake easily.

Garrett, who had 3 weeks to prepare, has the team come out flat.

This was also the game that made me realize despite the injuries and setbacks, Dez was still a monster. He literally took over

This was also the game that I knew Dak was for real

Tommy

Reaction score

The score was tied 31-31 and we received the kickoff with around 1:45 on the clock. We quickly move down the field. We just made a 1st down. We are on the 41 yard line, just out of Bailey’s FG range, the clock is just under 1 minute and we have a TIMEOUT!! The clock is moving.

I am yelling at the TV, “call a timeout, don’t waste a play, don’t spike the ball”. Of course if you spike the ball you decrease your chances of getting a first down on the upcoming series by 33%!!!! That is Gigantic!! We had plenty of time and a timeout. There was no reason AT ALL to waste a down by spiking the ball!!! What does Garrett do? Calls for the spike!! So dumb!! Beasley gains 7 on 2nd and gets out of bounds, then a ball is tipped at the line, incomplete pass on 3rd down. WE SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER DOWN to continue the drive, but no, we wasted a down spiking the ball and STILL HAVE THE TIMEOUT!!!! We are forced to have Bailey try 52 yard FG. He makes it, but GB still has over 30 seconds to get into FG Range.
Rogers makes a great play, while Irving is being held, on 3rd down. They gain 25 yards and then kick the game winning FG.

Great News!! Garrett is now GONE, and McCarthy a Super Bowl winning HC is now in charge!!

According to CowboysZone our players have been undefeated now going on 10 years. Every loss has been Garrett’s fault.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Your narrative of possible outcomes is not remotely exhaustive. Just because the TO was not used does not mean that there were not similarly probable outcomes following that first down where it could have been useful such as after a sack or in short yardage. Being out of timeouts pigeonholes you.
There is no way you waste a down in that situation by spiking the ball. By wasting a down you reduce your chance of getting a 1st down on that series by 33%. Also we were not in FG range yet. We wasted a play BEFORE we were in FG range, and there was no reason to. We ended that drive with a timeout in our pocket on that drive because Garrett called for the spike!!

The way we were moving the ball on that drive, if Garrett doesn’t waste a down by spiking the ball, we have a great chance of moving the ball down the field and at least kicking a FG with very little time on the clock!!! The worst thing that should have happened in that game at the end is we kick a FG with little or no time left on the clock and go into OT.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
According to CowboysZone our players have been undefeated now going on 10 years. Every loss has been Garrett’s fault.
If you don’t understand what a huge mistake spiking the ball was in that situation you don’t understand basic math.
Coaching Matters a lot! Good coaches, not Garrett, consistently put their players in better position to make plays. Of course the players make the plays, but coaches ,again not Garrett, can make it easier for players to make plays.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Be glad Marinelli is gone.

his defense spotted them 3 TDS.
I am! Garrett’s Offense wasn’t ready either. But definitely, I am ready to move on from Marinelli.
Garrett wasn’t the only coaching problem, but he was the biggest coaching problem.

Proof

Reaction score
Totally. Just insane how that wasn’t a fumble.

I get the same feeling (in reverse) when I watch the clip of Murray’s fumble up in GB in 2014. The hole was HUGE— suddenly Peppers appears out of nowhere with a perfect strip.

Crazy how the ball bounces (or doesn’t bounce lol)

these are two of the most heartbreaking inexplicable plays of the past era. Murray should still be running as we speak. That was a beautiful play design, and zack martin of all people gets completely undressed. Literally only peppers could have made that recovery to get back to Murray, and only his long a-- arms to poke the ball out. unbelievable.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Also Jeff Heath blindsided Rodgers and sacks him on that final drive. Still don’t know how Rodgers holds onto that ball without fumbling

Absolutely.

I was actually at that game in the lower bowl and had a good view of that play.
I saw Heath coming blindside unblocked and I actually screamed fumble before he even hit him. TO THIS DAY I have no idea how Rodgers didn't fumble that ball.

Great play by Heath, and frankly better play by Rodgers to hold on to it. Amazing.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
these are two of the most heartbreaking inexplicable plays of the past era. Murray should still be running as we speak. That was a beautiful play design, and zack martin of all people gets completely undressed. Literally only peppers could have made that recovery to get back to Murray, and only his long a-- arms to poke the ball out. unbelievable.

DM had a LOT of green grass in front of him.

That one still haunts me. We would have beaten Seattle that year. Not sure if we would have beaten NE in the Super Bowl but I am convinced we would have beaten Seattle. (again)

BaybeeJay

Reaction score

It was not 31-31 at 1:45. This is not what happened.

Proof

Reaction score
It was not 31-31 at 1:45. This is not what happened.

lol right. you can't take a 3 point lead and give up the game winning fg on the following drive. almost had me questioning my memory for a minute.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This game was a disaster. Also the best game I have seen Dak play. A rookie in his first ever playoff game and he goes toe to toe with Rodgers. So much stood out to me about this game.

On the first drive, we are moving the ball. We get near the redzone area for a 3rd and 1. So our identity all year was pound the ball and pass off that. What do we do on 3rd and 1 with the best RB in the league? Throw a pass 25 yards down field. Absolutely maddening. Disgusting play call. I turned to my uncle right away and said I don't have a good feeling about this game at all. Then what does the defense do? Give up 3 TDs in a row to start the game. Putrid.

Not to mention the too many men in the huddle penalty after a big 3rd down conversion that put the ball inside the redzone or close to it. Negated and a 15yd penalty from the line of scrimmage. We had to punt instead of being in position to take a 10-7 lead or at least cut it to 7-6 and keep pace a little.

Don't forget about the obvious PI on Witten either in the endzone or close to it before halftime. Plain as day. They don't call it and instead of a very likely 21-17 deficit going to half, we settle for 3 and it's 21-13.Refs screwed us on that drive and the one previously mentioned.

The miscommunication of Dez and Dak on that interception. Terrible play and no idea what they were doing. That was nearing the redzone as well.

Heath's interception being overturned because of a b.s. defensive penalty that was not a penalty. The ball was like 10-12 yards overthrown and not catchable at all, hence why he easily picked it in his deep safety position. And it wasn't holding as they called it.

As someone mentioned, our final drive of the game where we are down 3. We are moving it good. Get a 1st down and already in great field goal range and still like 45sec left or a minute or whatever. We moved the ball quickly that drive. Then Garrett and this staff just completely botch it. We spiked it on 1st down to give up a down! So stupid. Then throw a pass before the sticks setting up a quick 3rd down. Garrett again mis managed the clock big time. Settle for a long tying FG.

I still don't know how Scandrick's blind side sack of Rodgers did not cause a fumble on their game winning drive. Or maybe it was Heath, not sure. Any way, we had a player right in position to scoop and score if it came loose.

And don't forget, Crosby's FGs seemed to magically hook back inside the posts. Those kicks looked missed off his leg. Especially that first one to take the 3pt lead. And that was like a 52-57 yd FG. Think if he misses that, we get the ball at midfield area with 1:45 to go and only needing 3.

And that is my late night stroll down through a memory from hell.
Pretty accurate!!

We now have a HC who has won the biggest game. I believe better decisions will be made late in games, by the HC, to put our players in better position to make plays.
Better times are coming!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree that Prescott shouldn't have spiked it. But come on. The Packers were reeling and didn't have an answer. Yet we just kept running the same 10 step drop on 3rd and short. Why not do some quick passes or screens or something up the middle? Its the vanilla playcalling over and over that killed us in this game. If we would have been more creative we should have scored on that possession.

Lastly, this is a typical of Garrett though. He provided nothing down the stretch. If he had rallied the team to get a touchdown than we would have won. But no, I was nothing more than clapping and butt slapping player and did absolutely nothing.
The spike was huge. Yes we were moving the ball easily, but they got one lucky play, the tipped pass on 3rd down, to stop our drive. If the spike wasn’t called we have one more play to gain 3 yards. The way we were moving the ball, we had a great chance of getting the first, continuing the drive, and milking the clock.
The spike was sooooooo stupid! There was NO need to spike the ball in that situation!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Dak and Garrett seem to share the same mindset when it comes to these situations, both are equally guilty, one is finally gone.
Garrett doesn’t allow the QB to spike the ball. He calls a timeout before the ball is spiked!! This is 100% on Garrett, the HC!!