Just watched GB vs Dallas 2016 Divisional Round of Playoffs in Dallas - So Glad Garrett is Gone!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Can’t go without mentioning Byron “zone integrity” Jones and his role in that sequence...:facepalm:

I was in a small crowd of fans when Byron Jones was walking into the stadium before a preseason game the next year, in 2017. He was signing autographs, when I blurted out, "Don't let the tight end sneak up behind you Byron." He gave me a dirty look and walked through the doors of the stadium.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I have a better one.

1:57:10

The play that doomed the Dallas Cowboys franchise to 12 years of struggles and mediocrity.

Probably the worst I felt as a fan since the Jackie Smith drop. I still almost retch watching it.

Again, not ready to play in a big game!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I understand your argument and addressed it. Repeating it adds nothing. Your possible outcomes following the first down are not limited to what you are saying. You also assume that extra down would've gotten a first.

Again there were possible outcomes where a TO would be been useful. Examples include but are not limited to a sack, a ball carrier tackled inbounds, or short yardage/goalline.
That stupid spike changed everything! There was absolutely no reason to spike the ball in that situation. Call the timeout there EVERYTIME. If you have to spike the ball later in the drive, with NO TIMEOUTS, then do it, but to spike the ball with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket is asinine!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I have a better one.

1:57:10

The play that doomed the Dallas Cowboys franchise to 12 years of struggles and mediocrity.

Probably the worst I felt as a fan since the Jackie Smith drop. I still almost retch watching it.

Another in a long line of games we should have won. We were the #1 seed and weren’t ready to play!

How many times have we been the #1 seed and chocked under Garrett?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I truly believe losing to GB at AT&T stadium are images of the past we can all forget about.
Now that Garrett is finally gone, I find it easier to talk about some of these ridiculous losses.

I don’t think it is statistically possible for McCarthy, to do as bad in big games, as Garrett has done.

We have hope with McCarthy!

robbieruff

Reaction score
I was in a small crowd of fans when Byron Jones was walking into the stadium before a preseason game the next year, in 2017. He was signing autographs, when I blurted out, "Don't let the tight end sneak up behind you Byron." He gave me a dirty look and walked through the doors of the stadium.
You’re my hero.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is no way you waste a down in that situation by spiking the ball. By wasting a down you reduce your chance of getting a 1st down on that series by 33%. Also we were not in FG range yet. We wasted a play BEFORE we were in FG range, and there was no reason to. We ended that drive with a timeout in our pocket on that drive because Garrett called for the spike!!

The way we were moving the ball on that drive, if Garrett doesn’t waste a down by spiking the ball, we have a great chance of moving the ball down the field and at least kicking a FG with very little time on the clock!!! The worst thing that should have happened in that game at the end is we kick a FG with little or no time left on the clock and go into OT.

You are repeating yourself again for the most part. I will address the new.

When we spiked the ball there was 49 seconds left, we were at the 40, and down 3. That was already 4 down territory. Your 33% assertion is plain nonsense without justification.

We got into long field goal range on second down. That doesn't happen your supposed surety goes out the window and we run a play from scrimmage on 4th.

The worst thing that could happen is ball carriers being tackled inbounds short of the 35, sacks and other scenarios where you need to have a timeout to get the FG unit out for a kick in time but you don't have one. That is a possible realistic guaranteed loss from your way.

If your goal is to win the game in regulation you needed a TD. As it was before Jones lost track of the TE up the sideline, we were only tied. Your way only puts into OT.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I am shocked Garrett gets a pass by some still. The guy was an albatross for a dozen years. He sucked.[/QUOTE
You are repeating yourself again for the most part. I will address the new.

When we spiked the ball there was 49 seconds left, we were at the 40, and down 3. That was already 4 down territory. Your 33% assertion is plain nonsense without justification.

We got into long field goal range on second down. That doesn't happen your supposed surety goes out the window and we run a play from scrimmage on 4th.

The worst thing that could happen is ball carriers being tackled inbounds short of the 35, sacks and other scenarios where you need to have a timeout to get the FG unit out for a kick in time but you don't have one. That is a possible realistic guaranteed loss from your way.

If your goal is to win the game in regulation you needed a TD. As it was before Jones lost track of the TE up the sideline, we were only tied. Your way only puts into OT.
I realize you agree with Garrett’s asinine decisions to spike the ball in that situation. You and Garret were wrong.

This is not complicated. In that exact situation, with plenty of time, a timeout, and your not yet in FG range, you NEVER waste a down spiking the ball. Later in the drive with less time on the clock, no timeouts, and your in FG range, then you spike the ball if you need too.
Also, we were not in 4 down territory, when we wasted a down spiking the ball. We didn’t go for it on 4th down. We were forced to try a long FG because Garrett wasted a down spiking the ball. Finally, Garrett did reduce our chances of getting a first down on that series of downs by 33%. The math is not complicated: We should have had 3 chances to get a first down on that series of downs, but bonehead Garrett spiked 1 of our 3 chances into the ground. 1 out of 3 is 33% of 3. Do you understand the math?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I realize you agree with Garrett’s asinine decisions to spike the ball in that situation. You and Garret were wrong.

This is not complicated. In that exact situation, with plenty of time, a timeout, and your not yet in FG range, you NEVER waste a down spiking the ball. Later in the drive with less time on the clock, no timeouts, and your in FG range, then you spike the ball if you need too.
Also, we were not in 4 down territory, when we wasted a down spiking the ball. We didn’t go for it on 4th down. We were forced to try a long FG because Garrett wasted a down spiking the ball. Finally, Garrett did reduce our chances of getting a first down on that series of downs by 33%. The math is not complicated: We should have had 3 chances to get a first down on that series of downs, but bonehead Garrett spiked 1 of our 3 chances into the ground. 1 out of 3 is 33% of 3. Do you understand the math?

Are you mentally challenged? I understand math quite well. Your post in the context of what I was saying is a whole other thing. Since you may be simple I will help you. My post was a general comment on Garrett’s full tenure in Dallas. He chronically underachieved. Hence he sucks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

This is just ignorant. I don't agree with Garrett carte blanche. I just do not disagree with what he did in that situation.

When there is 49 seconds left and you need a FG to tie and you are not in FG range you are going for it on 4th down.

We got the first down at the 40. We weren't in FG range until we had gained 7 yards on second down. What I am getting from this is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

You also still wishcast that we would have gotten those three yards with an extra down. We still would have kicked a FG on 4th down.

I understand that you cannot simply weight the chances on each down equally as defenses and offenses play differently on differing downs and distances. 2nd and 10 is not the same and 3rd and 3 for example.

And you simply cannot respond to what I am saying regarding how the TO would have been useful. Your so stuck on what happened after the spike that you do not consider other possibilities.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Are you mentally challenged? I understand math quite well. Your post in the context of what I was saying is a whole other thing. Since you may be simple I will help you. My post was a general comment on Garrett’s full tenure in Dallas. He chronically underachieved. Hence he sucks.
My comment was regarding Fuzzy. I don’t know how your comment got attached to his. What is your opinion on the spike?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
My comment was regarding Fuzzy. I don’t know how your comment got attached to his. What is your opinion on the spike?

Not sure how that happened. I saw your response and was wondering what the heck you were talking about. As for the spike Garrett showed throughout his career a propensity for going for long FGs. He always sucked at the clock management side.