Just watched GB vs Dallas 2016 Divisional Round of Playoffs in Dallas - So Glad Garrett is Gone!

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
did you watch the last five minutes of the Packers Seahawks championship game from 2014. That should make you feel about the same since that coach is now your coach.

Well there's not much a coach can do about a player muffing an onside kick recovery.

I don't even want to talk about the 2016 game. I'm still mad about it to this day and refuse to even watch highlights. That was when I was completely done with Garrett and we had to suffer through 3 more years that everyone could see were a waste with him at head coach.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I saw that game was being aired yesterday but no way did I want to see it again.

Might as well hit yourself in the knee with a ball-peen hammer while you're at it.
The last 2 minutes especially was hard to watch.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Everything went right for Green Bay that game too. It was beyond frustrating.

-The entering/leaving the huddle penalty that I have never seen called before or since then
-Rodgers holding onto the ball on the Heath sack
-Rodgers making a miracle completion on 3rd & 20 to set up the game winning FG
-I believe Crosby was 0-3 on 50+ yard FGs in the 4th quarter with the game on the line entering that game and he drills THREE 50+ yard FGs in the 4th quarter. Then he misses a 40 yarder in the first quarter of the next game against Atlanta where Green Bay gets routed.

willia451

Reaction score
I have a better one.

1:57:10

The play that doomed the Dallas Cowboys franchise to 12 years of struggles and mediocrity.

Probably the worst I felt as a fan since the Jackie Smith drop. I still almost retch watching it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That game was ours to win!!!!!!!

The score was tied 31-31 and we received the kickoff with around 1:45 on the clock. We quickly move down the field. We just made a 1st down. We are on the 41 yard line, just out of Bailey’s FG range, the clock is just under 1 minute and we have a TIMEOUT!! The clock is moving.

I am yelling at the TV, “call a timeout, don’t waste a play, don’t spike the ball”. Of course if you spike the ball you decrease your chances of getting a first down on the upcoming series by 33%!!!! That is Gigantic!! We had plenty of time and a timeout. There was no reason AT ALL to waste a down by spiking the ball!!! What does Garrett do? Calls for the spike!! So dumb!! Beasley gains 7 on 2nd and gets out of bounds, then a ball is tipped at the line, incomplete pass on 3rd down. WE SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER DOWN to continue the drive, but no, we wasted a down spiking the ball and STILL HAVE THE TIMEOUT!!!! We are forced to have Bailey try 52 yard FG. He makes it, but GB still has over 30 seconds to get into FG Range.
Rogers makes a great play, while Irving is being held, on 3rd down. They gain 25 yards and then kick the game winning FG.

Great News!! Garrett is now GONE, and McCarthy a Super Bowl winning HC is now in charge!!

GO Cowboys! We now have REAL hope!

I am shocked Garrett gets a pass by some still. The guy was an albatross for a dozen years. He sucked.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The spike was huge. Yes we were moving the ball easily, but they got one lucky play, the tipped pass on 3rd down, to stop our drive. If the spike wasn’t called we have one more play to gain 3 yards. The way we were moving the ball, we had a great chance of getting the first, continuing the drive, and milking the clock.
The spike was sooooooo stupid! There was NO need to spike the ball in that situation!!

It was. So you have a rookie QB. As a coach you could have called timeout and regrouped. Run maybe 2-3 plays and tried to get a 1st down and possibly punch it in for a TD.

But not Garrett. He absolutely doesn't do a damn thing. No timeouts. Not even sending in a play to get the ball to his best player.

Him provided absolutely no value. Im so glad we got rid of that clown. He was a total waste of time, money and energy in Dallas.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I have a better one.

The play that doomed the Dallas Cowboys franchise to 12 years of struggles and mediocrity.

Probably the worst I felt as a fan since the Jackie Smith drop. I still almost retch watching it.

******* Jerry bought the entire team tickets to the nfc championship game and Coughlin got wind of it and told his players. They were super motivated and even still they barely beat us.

All the giants players reference that game as being their toughest in the playoffs that year. They said once they beat us they didn’t fear anyone else

Blackspider214

Reaction score
In the 2nd Half, 1st half not so much.

Dak played well most of the game. His first 2 drives could have easily resulted in a TD but we came away with only 3. First drive we pass down field on 3rd and 1. 2nd drive, one of the more obscure penalties was called after a big pass play that has us near the endzone again. He was better in the 2nd half but he still played good in the 1st half. We went from 21-3 to 21-13 before halftime and could have easily been 21-17 if the refs actually called the PI they did to Witten. It's not like we were stuck in mud and doing zero on offense.

Coy

Reaction score
Dak played well most of the game. His first 2 drives could have easily resulted in a TD but we came away with only 3. First drive we pass down field on 3rd and 1. 2nd drive, one of the more obscure penalties was called after a big pass play that has us near the endzone again. He was better in the 2nd half but he still played good in the 1st half. We went from 21-3 to 21-13 before halftime and could have easily been 21-17 if the refs actually called the PI they did to Witten. It's not like we were stuck in mud and doing zero on offense.

It's about results, 1 TD in 5 drives is not great, I think he was just over 50% in completion %.
In the second half is when he started playing lights out... the funny thing is those things happened to him again a couple of times this year, against the Packers, Jets and Bears if I recall.
Anyway, I believe he'll have a great year under McCarthy, it's not just about the numbers.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The botched snap game didn't bother me. The Cowboys were not a good team that year. Like an Eagles fan this year, what were their expectations in the playoffs? Not only that, people act as if that was a win or lose FG. There was around 1:20 left in the game.

Yep. Seattle would have drove down on that defense and scored anyways. All they would need is a FG. It's the same as the Dez caught it game. We didn't stop GB at all in the 2nd half. There was like 5-6 minutes left still. Rodgers would have scored on us anyways. What made me mad was all the what ifs and mistakes leading up to that drive. Also, I don't get going for it deep on that 4th down. That was very risky. It looked to work initially but in the end it didn't. Wasn't that a 4th and 3 or 4? The smart play was to hit a quick pass and keep the chains moving and get a new set of downs. I believe we could have punched it in had we did this.

One of the forgotten plays of that game is after going up 21-13 in the 2nd half, we forced a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. We had a guy by himself fall on the ball for an easy recovery and he just whiffs completely and GB keeps possession. Had we recovered that, we get the ball to start off at the 25-30. We would at minimum come away with 3pts and extend the lead to 24-13. But with how we were playing at the time and the momentum, we most likely punch it in and go up 28-13 and then that might have been the end of GB or at least a steep climb uphill to come back from.

Both of these games against GB had so many what ifs and mistakes. Both could have and should have been wins.

Unlike the Rams and Vikings divisional round games this decade. Those games we just got our butts beat in every aspect. No real what ifs for those.

2 of Rodger's NFC title game appearances come directly because of us and Garrett's lack of preparation and in game coaching. In both games, we allow GB to march down the field with ease and score on their first possession.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

It's a typical Garrett trademark since he started in Dallas. Even before Dak was QB. He just seems to settle for field goals way to easily rather than TDs.

Garrett never felt compelled to win games it seems. He just wants to keep it close and lose out in the waning moments. Such a risk-averse moron.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I have a better one.

I was always more annoyed by the 1 minute TD drive the defense gave up right before halftime after the offense had went on a 10-minute TD drive.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yep. Seattle would have drove down on that defense and scored anyways. All they would need is a FG. It's the same as the Dez caught it game. We didn't stop GB at all in the 2nd half. There was like 5-6 minutes left still. Rodgers would have scored on us anyways. What made me mad was all the what ifs and mistakes leading up to that drive. Also, I don't get going for it deep on that 4th down. That was very risky. It looked to work initially but in the end it didn't. Wasn't that a 4th and 3 or 4? The smart play was to hit a quick pass and keep the chains moving and get a new set of downs. I believe we could have punched it in had we did this.

One of the forgotten plays of that game is after going up 21-13 in the 2nd half, we forced a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. We had a guy by himself fall on the ball for an easy recovery and he just whiffs completely and GB keeps possession. Had we recovered that, we get the ball to start off at the 25-30. We would at minimum come away with 3pts and extend the lead to 24-13. But with how we were playing at the time and the momentum, we most likely punch it in and go up 28-13 and then that might have been the end of GB or at least a steep climb uphill to come back from.

Both of these games against GB had so many what ifs and mistakes. Both could have and should have been wins.

Unlike the Rams and Vikings divisional round games this decade. Those games we just got our butts beat in every aspect. No real what ifs for those.

2 of Rodger's NFC title game appearances come directly because of us and Garrett's lack of preparation and in game coaching. In both games, we allow GB to march down the field with ease and score on their first possession.

It was a dumb play. But we have many of those types of plays where we have 3rd and short and we run a 10 step drop and go deep.

Whats bad about that play is that they took Zeke out of the game and went empty backfield. When we were gashing them with Zeke - we take him out on a crucial play and pass the ball deep. The stupidity of this coaching staff still baffles me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I truly believe losing to GB at AT&T stadium are images of the past we can all forget about.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is no way you waste a down in that situation by spiking the ball. By wasting a down you reduce your chance of getting a 1st down on that series by 33%. Also we were not in FG range yet. We wasted a play BEFORE we were in FG range, and there was no reason to. We ended that drive with a timeout in our pocket on that drive because Garrett called for the spike!!

The way we were moving the ball on that drive, if Garrett doesn’t waste a down by spiking the ball, we have a great chance of moving the ball down the field and at least kicking a FG with very little time on the clock!!! The worst thing that should have happened in that game at the end is we kick a FG with little or no time left on the clock and go into OT.

I understand your argument and addressed it. Repeating it adds nothing. Your possible outcomes following the first down are not limited to what you are saying. You also assume that extra down would've gotten a first.

Again there were possible outcomes where a TO would be been useful. Examples include but are not limited to a sack, a ball carrier tackled inbounds, or short yardage/goalline.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a better one.

I have a better one than that in my opinion. It is the one I have been repeatedly harped upon on this site for years ever since that game. Allow me to borrow your video.

56:36 through 1:02:05

The star of that 42 seconds of nonsense? Number 35. Jacques Reeves. 42 seconds.

Some members may have noted how I have been really critical of Chidobe Awuzie during gameday threads. My reason for constantly being on Awuzie's case is that he reminds me a lot of Reeves.

42 seconds. The most important thing? The score with 42 seconds left in the half. Then consider the final score.

What Aikman said just before the 1:02:05 mark was truly telling. And sad.

willia451

Reaction score
I have a better one than that in my opinion. It is the one I have been repeatedly harped upon on this site for years ever since that game. Allow me to borrow your video.

Some members may have noted how I have been really critical of Chidobe Awuzie during gameday threads. My reason for constantly being on Awuzie's case is that he reminds me a lot of Reeves.

42 seconds. The most important thing? The score with 42 seconds left in the half. Then consider the final score.

Yes. I've always thought when looking at my example or the one you offered, after that game, I thought "You know...............very good or great football teams make those plays in the playoffs; they take advantage of their opportunities more often than not and move on. We must not be a very good football team."

My expectations of what the Cowboys are and what they could accomplish moving forward changed after that game. And its never really recovered.

We need a new beginning. I'm hoping MM and the staff he is putting together is the start of that new beginning.

At least I am more hopeful today than I have been in a long, long time.

mrmojo

Reaction score
******* Jerry bought the entire team tickets to the nfc championship game and Coughlin got wind of it and told his players. They were super motivated and even still they barely beat us.

All the giants players reference that game as being their toughest in the playoffs that year. They said once they beat us they didn’t fear anyone else
And that's supposed to make it hurt less? That makes it worse, those opportunities, as we now know, are few and far between.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I have a better one.

The part that makes me want to wretch is if you watch at the 1:57:30 mark.
The end zone angle replay clearly shows Crayton basically stopped running on the route right as Romo threw it, when he had a step.

that was a DAMN good throw. Frankly it was a perfect throw right where it should have been placed. Can't imagine what was going through PC's head, letting up on the route just as he was breaking wide open. For all the grief Romo caught for "choking" that game away, Crayton probably left 80 receiving yards (and at least 1 TD) on the field with this play andthe other famous drop when Romo was scrambling and slung one to PC cutting across the middle.

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score

The secondary on that 2007 team was a grotesque liability.

Grotesque.

Other than the D line where I would say 2007 team was absolutely better, I think this years defense is much better than that 2007 defense. And that's saying something. Because our secondary wasn't real good this year either.