Just who does Jeff Heath have pics of?

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
As I said, you knew nothing about this kid until the Cowboys picked him.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I literally have spreadsheets. SPREADSHEETS! Throw that accusation elsewhere, not at one of the biggest draft dorks on this site.

NickZepp

Reaction score
The defense played pretty well last year with the exception of the Colts and Ram's games. Heath was not the sole reason we lost to the Rams for sure.
You always draft "Big" before you draft "Small". Marinelli get's what he wants for the front 7 for sure.
Our front 7 got abused against the Rams. Gave up 275 yards rushing. Couldn't make stops when they were really needed late in the game. CJ Anderson ran for 130 yards.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
You act like I'm a byron fan lol. Fact is our secondary needs help playmaking. Thornhill at safety is an immediate upgrade. Heaths biggest flaw is being an every down player. He struggles to read and react. Also struggles in run support. He was definitely better when he just came in on nickel and passing situations.

Heath is not a starter and if he does there is your weak link in the secondary and every QB knows that and have no fear with him back there.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Man, your posts are getting shorter the more you realize just how wrong you are here. So cute.

I'm laughing at you for pretending you actually knew a single thing about this guy before we drafted him. Instead of just admitting it and that you rushed to know him as a prospect in the past few hours, you make up crap about spreadsheets - it's on the level of xWalker's "I study all-22".

NickZepp

Reaction score
That's not how it works - you still need talent at the position. We aren't talking RB here, it's not plug and play.
Safeties are basically last line of defense type guys. We've had some in the past that were more or less big hitters. Darren Woodson, Roy Williams, even Barry Church to some extent etc. But really safeties shouldn't be like that for the most part. Especially when you have 2 LBs like we have with Smith and LVE. And a 3rd like Lee but we are seeing Lee toward the end of his career. Really those 2 LBs from now on should be getting most of the tackles in the run game because they cover so much of the field.

We need linemen that can get off the ball fast and give our LBs open space to make the plays. Safeties shouldn't be in the box that much unless it's short yardage.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
I'm laughing at you for pretending you actually knew a single thing about this guy before we drafted him. Instead of just admitting it and that you rushed to know him as a prospect in the past few hours, you make up crap about spreadsheets - it's on the level of xWalker's "I study all-22".

Man, holy projection...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Safeties are basically last line of defense type guys. We've had some in the past that were more or less big hitters. Darren Woodson, Roy Williams, even Barry Church to some extent etc. But really safeties shouldn't be like that for the most part. Especially when you have 2 LBs like we have with Smith and LVE. And a 3rd like Lee but we are seeing Lee toward the end of his career. Really those 2 LBs from now on should be getting most of the tackles in the run game because they cover so much of the field.

We need linemen that can get off the ball fast and give our LBs open space to make the plays. Safeties shouldn't be in the box that much unless it's short yardage.

Okay, but this really isn't addressing anything - you can have a stud line and still have safeties that aren't making plays. Heath isn't going to become anything more than a JAG despite who we have on the line - no one is disagreeing with the importance of a pass rush.

And the problem is, we haven't had a Woodson or Williams (early on) level talent in years and this has hurt us.

LittleD

Reaction score
Our front 7 got abused against the Rams. Gave up 275 yards rushing. Couldn't make stops when they were really needed late in the game. CJ Anderson ran for 130 yards.

Yep, the Rams studied the Colts game for sure and I have to admit, we were not ready to play them on defense. If your backend defense is having to stop the run, you are not likely to win the game in the NFL.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here is why I dislike the pick of Trysten Hill.

Even if I rated him higher than what I did he will play 35% of snaps let's say.

Juan Thornhill would be an I dtsnt upgrade on BOTH Jeff Heath AND Xavier Woods. He would play most snaps by let's sat week 4. He would make this defense better.

I truly hope hill pans out but I just don't see it. Quick twitch yeah but doesn't make a big difference. 6 career sacks doesn't scream playmaker at 3t to me. The good thing is he wasn't just a one season guy and has experience at a high level of football. I would rather have taken Dre Mont Jones if they wanted DT desperately.

LittleD

Reaction score
You do realize there are 2 starting safety spots?

Yes, but Heath plays SS in our system and they brought in Iloka to back him up on running downs. Heath was playing special teams and safety for way too many plays last season.
He's not an all pro safety but, he's by far from the worst. Marinelli's focus is on the front 7 first and the back 4 last in his scheme. Bend but, don't break to win.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes, but Heath plays SS in our system and they brought in Iloka to back him up on running downs. Heath was playing special teams and safety for way too many plays last season.
He's not an all pro safety but, he's by far from the worst. Marinelli's focus is on the front 7 first and the back 4 last in his scheme. Bend but, don't break to win.
No no, he actually ranked 56nd out of 58 starting safeties last season. So one of the worst and has been that way for years. Bend but don't break doesn't win against good teams. Hence our early exits from the playoffs. Marinelli's scheme is trash and his 0-16 behind should be coaching my son's junior high team

LittleD

Reaction score
No no, he actually ranked 56nd out of 58 starting safeties last season. So one of the worst and has been that way for years. Bend but don't break doesn't win against good teams. Hence our early exits from the playoffs. Marinelli's scheme is trash and his 0-16 behind should be coaching my son's junior high team

You are certainly entitled to your humble opinion but, I'm afraid you are going to be sad at the outcome this year so maybe you should mosey over to the Skins board and find some happiness.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You are certainly entitled to your humble opinion but, I'm afraid you are going to be sad at the outcome this year so maybe you should mosey over to the Skins board and find some happiness.
I live in new jersey surrounded by giants and eagles fans. I don't have the luxury of sitting in my own bubble in the middle of nowhere in texas where everyone is a cowboys fan telling each other we will win the SB this year but actually don't have a clue.

Both of our last playoff loses were strictly on the defense being absolutely terrible.

MikeT22

Reaction score

And most of that is on Marinelli, not just a lack of talent up front. The magnificent CJ and the high-flying Rams managed 3 points against a competent coaching staff in the SB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Everybody on that plane.

PWbNvfS.jpg

Who’s the guy Witten has his arm around? Don’t recognize him

NickZepp

Reaction score
And most of that is on Marinelli, not just a lack of talent up front. The magnificent CJ and the high-flying Rams managed 3 points against a competent coaching staff in the SB.
The front 7 also dominated a lot of other teams all throughout the year. It's not like we were bad there last year.