Justice soft?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Several sources have said recently that he is soft like Rogers was. I hope BP is on top of this considering that we seem to have targeted him.
What is it and USC tackles?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Several sources have said recently that he is soft like Rogers was. I hope BP is on top of this considering that we seem to have targeted him.

yeah I mentioned it in another thread but there seems to be too much smoke around this rumor not to have some truth in it

neosapien23

Reaction score
Scouts are saying that he did not dominate like he should have at the college level. He seems to be the next Jacob Rogers.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated and somewhere else that I cannot remember pretty m uch said the same thing.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Sports Illustrated and somewhere else that I cannot remember pretty m uch said the same thing.
Norm mentioned it this morning... he said a very respected scout told him the same thing last night...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
And all this on top of his goofy toy-gun incident that cost him a season.

Maybe he's the USC offensive line version of Darrell Russell.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm confused by soft - soft how?

Injury prone? Because that's Rogers' knock - he has a bad shoulder. I have no idea how he played.

Does Justice play knicked up?

Woods

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm confused by soft - soft how?

Injury prone? Because that's Rogers' knock - he has a bad shoulder. I have no idea how he played.

Does Justice play knicked up?

Just from the stuff I read,

It was more that while Justice has top potential, he didn't really play up to it. Almost like a top, top talent athletically, but more of a later round in terms of production.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Woods said:
Just from the stuff I read,

It was more that while Justice has top potential, he didn't really play up to it. Almost like a top, top talent athletically, but more of a later round in terms of production.

Hey lets face it, if he played up to his potential noway anyone's talking about him even having a chance to drop to 18. He's a risk/reward pick all the way that's for sure. Could he bust, you betcha ... but he could be pretty darn good if he doesn't.

As far as the comparisons to Rogers I really don't see them. Rogers was more of a technique guy who always had a limited upside as far as natural talent. Justice is just the opposite, not really known as a student of his craft, his technique is questionable but his natural talent and upside are very good.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Rogers was never scouted as soft. He had injury concerns, and probably got paid and became soft. At this point, I hope the Eagles get Justice. He has the making of the biggest bust in the first round.

Kchunda

Reaction score
Matt Mosely said the same thing yesterday. . .

"One of the interesting things that you may see Saturday is one of the draft's highest-rated offensive tackles, USC's Winston Justice, free-falling down the draft board. I've seen a lot of mock drafts with him in the top 12, but the guy I trust the most has Tampa Bay taking him at No. 24.

Would the Cowboys abandon their plan to bolster the defense with the first pick if Justice is available? It's not likely.

Justice has a tremendous amount of potential, but he's still known as a finesse player who can end up in his quarterback's lap if someone drills him in the chest. If this is starting to sound like another former USC offensive tackle, we're on the same page."

http://www.cowboysplus.com/buzzbar/stories/042606cpbuzzmosley.6e2b3341.html

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Kchunda said:
Matt Mosely said the same thing yesterday. . .

"One of the interesting things that you may see Saturday is one of the draft's highest-rated offensive tackles, USC's Winston Justice, free-falling down the draft board. I've seen a lot of mock drafts with him in the top 12, but the guy I trust the most has Tampa Bay taking him at No. 24.

Would the Cowboys abandon their plan to bolster the defense with the first pick if Justice is available? It's not likely.

Justice has a tremendous amount of potential, but he's still known as a finesse player who can end up in his quarterback's lap if someone drills him in the chest. If this is starting to sound like another former USC offensive tackle, we're on the same page."

http://www.cowboysplus.com/buzzbar/stories/042606cpbuzzmosley.6e2b3341.html

I'd still take him. Other than the finesse part, it sounds like the same knocks on Hotel.

Sure, it'd be a risk - but like someone has already pointed out - the difference here is that he doesn't have the injury history thata Rogers had. I was happy with the Rogers pick - just not his shoulder.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

although I want Justice most of all, I extremely doubt we take an OT in the 1st round

Woods

Reaction score
I remember a few weeks ago, and I think it was at Justice's Pro Day, when he did something like 38-39 reps (it was a high number in any case), and I remember that suddenly everyone was like "there's no way this guy is going to fall to 18 now" . . . .

It really goes to show you how much combines, pro days can influence the fan's opinion of a player. I'm sure that scouts and GM's also get influenced by that stuff as well.

IMO, a player's production, character and toughness is significantly more important than doing a vertical jump, 40-yard dash, and maybe a cone drill at the Combine.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'd still take him. Other than the finesse part, it sounds like the same knocks on Hotel.

Sure, it'd be a risk - but like someone has already pointed out - the difference here is that he doesn't have the injury history thata Rogers had. I was happy with the Rogers pick - just not his shoulder.
Naw, Flo does not get bull rushed. He can be beat to the edges by speed rushers tho.

Justice is no where near as physical as Flo who is just massive and strong.

Coming out the knock on Flo was that his hearing was going to force him to the RT. Even with that he was a legit late first round prospect much like Justice is now.

I'd think the best route with Justice is to sit him 2 years and build him up fundamentally. He is certainly athletic enough. I think he's a round 2 guy.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

I would be piss if Cowboys drafted Winston Justic in the first round... because of the simple fact you taking a chance on a position that's really not in a high-demand need..

We could really use a outside linebacker or insurance at the wide receiver position...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I would be piss if Cowboys drafted Winston Justic in the first round... because of the simple fact you taking a chance on a position that's really not in a high-demand need..

We could really use a outside linebacker or insurance at the wide receiver position...

How is OT not as in demand as OLB or WR? I like Pettiti, and still have hope for him - but our line is bad.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
because of the simple fact you taking a chance on a position that's really not in a high-demand need..

OTs are in VERY high-demand, esp. ones with the skill-set of Justice