News: K Richard: Run issues have been addressed

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I guess we will see sunday if the run defense is fixed to me it hasn't been since the rams game last year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli has to get this D-Line getting pressure and keeping these LB clean to fill the gaps and get the rb.
I have noticed, in the last two games especially, those OL getting to the second level too easily. Lawrence is catching the doubles because the DT's can't crash the middle.

Ironically, that was the crux of Landry's Flex, his MLB always led the team in tackles, by design, because his goal was to keep the 5 OL occupied with his 4 DL. Many D's took pieces that they liked from his Flex. And back then, the NFL had more athletic OL, not these 330lb monsters, so it was paramount to keep them off his LB's.

CoachD

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense was just awful last week I mean AWFUL, they got used and abused like a 5 dollar hooker on Bourbon St.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. You would've thought it would have been addressed after the embarrassment of a Rams game last year, but here we are, still complaining about the run D :rolleyes:.
doesnt really say much you guys complain about wins even

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Loooo!!!! Woods is back...”It’s been addressed”
I’m sorry,but that’s all this is...and you’re going to see them get hammered again at some point. He’s delusional if he thinks anything’s been fixed. If your whole deal is predicated on Woods playing or not? You got you some problems going on. And what’s that have to do with “tackling”? If your LBs can’t tackle,Woods or not is irrelevant. But it’s all been addressed folks in 5 days.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think one guy is gonna fix this problem.
Agree, some overvalued some players and now they're pissed about it and I am ready to move on from Marinelli's idea of creative D, stunting. Has he noticed that RB's are going through those holes left open by the stunt and they head right for it, according to plan. There have to be some tells.

I don't know about Richard but I am ready to see what he can do with full control but no DC in the game can compensate for long with stunting to cover for a talent deficiency. And that stunting requires more rest because of the increase in the expenditure of energy. On the plus side, a DL might accidentally knock a RB down by running into him on a stunt. AKA, the Collide Defense.

visionary

Reaction score
Isn't it outstanding when a coach or a player addresses a problem AFTER the fact rather than BEFORE it? I would honestly like to know why are these glaring issues NOT addressed before hand? Richard, did you honestly think the run problems were OK before the Green Bay game? Did the coaches think the run defense was good going into this season? I just wish players and coaches would stop placating the media and fans and would speak freely. Stop insulting us with lame statements such as:

"We will watch the tape and get better"
"We will learn from this"
Or my personal fav Dakism:
"This was good for us" Referring to the loss. as if they need a loss to do their job or play 100%.

problem is these guys don’t do their job even after they’ve been beaten repeatedly

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Loooo!!!! Woods is back...”It’s been addressed”
I’m sorry,but that’s all this is...and you’re going to see them get hammered again at some point. He’s delusional if he thinks anything’s been fixed. If your whole deal is predicated on Woods playing or not? You got you some problems going on. And what’s that have to do with “tackling”? If your LBs can’t tackle,Woods or not is irrelevant. But it’s all been addressed folks in 5 days.
Hey youngster, where the hell you been? Smokey had the Bandit on ice?

Actually, Richard didn't say he'd fixed it, just addressed it. That's like me answering my wife when she'd ask me about a honey do. "Yes, dear, the leaky faucet has been addressed".

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I was listening to his media session yesterday. Idk he doesn't come off very convincing to me. Seems like another rah rah guy who doesn't understand that the other team is scheming his unit to death.

Ever hear of the Legion of Boom?

KR isnt the DC, but he seems to be taking over that role in Dallas. Sooner the better!

"Kris Richard is an American football coach and former player. Richard was instrumental to the formation of the Legion of Boom defensive secondary. He helped coach and develop players such as Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Byron Maxwell and for his rookie season only, Shaquill Griffin."

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Hey youngster, where the hell you been? Smokey had the Bandit on ice?

Actually, Richard didn't say he'd fixed it, just addressed it. That's like me answering my wife when she'd ask me about a honey do. "Yes, dear, the leaky faucet has been addressed".
Would you believe I’m actually at the park wedged in between a $10 mil new playground being built.and a Italian Circus going up with both crews and equipment all around me,and I’m doing you know what? Looooool. You’re right it’s not the same. But it’s the same situation that we really are on thin ice.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agree, some overvalued some players and now they're pissed about it and I am ready to move on from Marinelli's idea of creative D, stunting. Has he noticed that RB's are going through those holes left open by the stunt and they head right for it, according to plan. There have to be some tells.

I don't know about Richard but I am ready to see what he can do with full control but no DC in the game can compensate for long with stunting to cover for a talent deficiency. And that stunting requires more rest because of the increase in the expenditure of energy. On the plus side, a DL might accidentally knock a RB down by running into him on a stunt. AKA, the Collide Defense.
I don’t think they corrected the tells from the rams game. They just keep chugging along. The stunts leave holes that a rb can time and hit the hole and be 5 yards down field before we react. All teams this year are doing it to us. Does Marinelli just think it’s gonna work itself out or what. How about just quit calling the stunts. Run a base and get up field in control your gaps and let the LB work. How many times does the stunts actually work. Don’t it take longer to get upfield anyways. Gives there qb that extra second.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it strike anyone as strange that the Passing Game Coordinator and Defensive Backs is addressing the run defense as being addressed? Who's going to address the pass D when they need addressing. Maybe he became the Addressing Coordinator and they haven't announced it yet, waiting for the Announcement Coordinator? Oh wait, they already have one of those.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think they corrected the tells from the rams game. They just keep chugging along. The stunts leave holes that a rb can time and hit the hole and be 5 yards down field before we react. All teams this year are doing it to us. Does Marinelli just think it’s gonna work itself out or what. How about just quit calling the stunts. Run a base and get up field in control your gaps and let the LB work. How many times does the stunts actually work. Don’t it take longer to get upfield anyways. Gives there qb that extra second.
I would have a stunt where the DL just turns around and runs the other way and see if he can get one or two OL to chase him.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Thought that would have been addressed after the performance against the Rams in the playoffs. Must have missed them signing a big 1-tech..

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Isn't it outstanding when a coach or a player addresses a problem AFTER the fact rather than BEFORE it? I would honestly like to know why are these glaring issues NOT addressed before hand? Richard, did you honestly think the run problems were OK before the Green Bay game? Did the coaches think the run defense was good going into this season? I just wish players and coaches would stop placating the media and fans and would speak freely. Stop insulting us with lame statements such as:

"We will watch the tape and get better"
"We will learn from this"
Or my personal fav Dakism:
"This was good for us" Referring to the loss. as if they need a loss to do their job or play 100%.

This is some low key chicken vs the egg level philosophy here. Is it a problem if you address it before its a problem?

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. You would've thought it would have been addressed after the embarrassment of a Rams game last year, but here we are, still complaining about the run D :rolleyes:.
Agreed....had months to fix the run defense, yet chose not to. Didn't add a legitimate big man, didn't add a real SS to help in the box.

Players, Coaches and scheme are all the same...insanity.