Kaiser Rolls out notes on Eagles game

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I know people hate Jeff Heath, but this is just quibbling. Especially when you start from a post saying "Jeff Heath can't tackle for ess"
Football Outsiders said this after the 2018, based on analysis and stats:

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath's 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn't a starting-caliber strong safety; he's a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2019/four-downs-nfc-east

Their analysis for 2017 wasn't much better. Pro Football Focus had him as one of the worst tackling safeties in football as well in 2018.

KD Drummond over at USA Today's Cowboys Wire also said this:

Heath is a fan favorite, as during more lean years of defensive talent he led the club in forced turnovers three seasons in a row. Once those are stripped away, all that’s left is a very athletic player who misses a boatload of tackles in every game. Heath missed 13 tackles in the run game per Pro Football Focus, the most among any safety, then chipped in another six misses in the passing game.

His tackling efficiency among those who played at least 535 defensive snaps was the second-worst in all of football, 63rd out of 64 eligible players.

Heath is not a very good tackler. It's not just random Heath hate here.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Heath is not a very good tackler. It's not just random Heath hate here.

It is if you are quoting things like PFF and Football Outsiders. I said show me an analyst, not a fan site or a scam like PFF. It shouldn't be hard if Heath is as bad as you say.

And FWIW I agree Heath wouldn't start if we had a better option, but its nonsense to say Jourdan Lewis is a better tackler.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's not quibbling when it's a correction.

If your argument is that going from the middle of the End Zone on the right hash to the 3 yard line isn't covering half the width of the field, its the textbook definition of quibbling.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The big news from the Eagles game wasn’t just the blowout score, it was the defense finally showing up. Why does this defense finally play well in Week 7? Is it Health? Execution? Adrenaline?

Its really all three but its mostly health, which allows the team to finally execute. The adrenaline from a Division Game helps. If you watch Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins and DLaw (probably Sean Lee also) in this game they are clearly healthier now. Our defense is built around the DL and this was the first game this year that all four DL starters were fully healthy. They executed exactly what the scheme is – Woods occupies two guys, Collins is active and the two DE rush off the edge. Then the LBs cover half of North America. This really was the first game that all the pieces were in place and they worked well.

That DL and its depth were the biggest topic of offseason threads here. Remember all the threads that Dak was a below average QB? Where are those now? Remember the threads that Conner Williams sucked? Didn’t he just play Fletcher Cox without a hitch?

I can’t really explain it but there is something about Antwuan Woods that I love. One of my favorite moments of this game was the strip sack by DLaw where Woods fought off a blocker to get close the ball, then pull it in.

Sean Lee was much more active in this game, I don’t know if that is because of health or adrenaline, but its pretty cool that our 3rd best LB is a two time Pro Bowlers and I really don’t care that he hasn’t shown up until now.

The big thing about the first TD run by Tavon Austin wasn’t the six points, it was the fact that opposing defenses have to account for our 4th/5th WR. The same goes for Maher hitting a 63 yard field goal, the impact is that opponents have to account for that ability.

Zeke looks like he is in better shape now but the OL executed well against a good Eagles DL. Kellen Moore is a guy playing chess with multiple chess pieces, but if you can consistently bludgeon a team with 8 yard carries on 1st down, you are going to win the game.

When Amari Cooper is playing through an injury, he is still a good WR. When he is 100% like Sunday, he is dominant. He made the type of unstoppable plays that can carry you deep into the playoffs.

Preparing for the playoffs, its going to be a big advantage that our Division is terrible. When we can rest guys like Tyron Smith, DLaw and Amari Cooper they will make a bigger impact once the playoffs start.

Collinsworth marvels at the arm strength of Wentz. On the next play the snap hits him in the hands and he drops it. Which was more fun to watch? Wentz dropping a shotgun snap or Wentz getting sacked by the worst tackler on our team and limping off?

The correct answer is “Yes”.

This game was well officiated and didn’t have any ridiculously bad calls. The fact that it is newsworthy for that to happen is depressing.

This team got handed a 14 point lead and that was really all it took at home against a struggling Eagles team.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
If your argument that is going from the middle of the End Zone on the right hash to the 3 yard line isn't covering half the width of the field, its the textbook definition of quibbling.
Quibbling would be saying he didn't go 50 yards. You never said if it was width or length. I can play dumb as well as you.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Quibbling would be saying he didn't go 50 yards. You never said if it was width or length. I can play dumb as well as you.

Now you are quibbling about quibbling.

Why won't you answer the question about Kris Richard not playing Lewis? If he is the best tackler among the CBs with the best ball skills, why does Richard have him 4th on the depth chart?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Now you are quibbling about quibbling.

Why won't you answer the question about Kris Richard not playing Lewis? If he is the best tackler among the CBs with the best ball skills, why does Richard have him 4th on the depth chart?
Garrettitis. If Richard is such a coveted DB guru why was he let go by a defensive HC?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Garrettitis. If Richard is such a coveted DB guru why was he let go by a defensive HC?

Sorry but that's an LOL. When the thread gets to "Garrett causes cancer" I lose all interest.

jay94

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic as I believe this is a BAD Eagles team. Sure we still have to make plays on both sides but I am waiting for us to beat a good team.

Their injured guys didn't wind up playing like they did for us. I feel we are neck and neck with this team. Imagine being with out Tyron.

Creeper

Reaction score
I still think Lee has the best awareness and recognition skills of any of the Cowboys LBs. He is still a good football player but he seems to need playing time to be at his best.

The difference in this game vs. the Jets was the play calling on both sides of the ball. They showed some new wrinkles on offense for a change and the brought some new blitzes on defense. They were pretty vanilla on defense against the Jets. Notice how the Patriots blitzed the heck out of Darnold and how he got flustered by it? I have no idea what the Cowboys were thinking about when they let Darnold sit back there and pick them apart. The Cowboys gave up 3 TDs in one half to a team that still has only 2 offensive TDs in all their other games.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol, I saw that. I was watching the game when it happened. I was like, “Damn, that dude did the same dumb **** he did against Dallas.”

I was LMAO. No way he should make that mistake twice.

Same side of the field too. It was hilarious.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Sorry but that's an LOL. When the thread gets to "Garrett causes cancer" I lose all interest.
Why can't you answer my question about Richard? That Homer rod shoved so far up you can't admit he may be overrated?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So a random "guy" in his moms basement who watches tape his opinion should be gospel? My goodness

Here's another thing that goes on at CZ. Why are you assuming it's his mom's basement? What if he's a squatter and has use of a whole house? Sure, maybe there's no "legal" electricity but maybe there's just enough to plug in a laptop, modem and siphon someone's WiFi to allow him to be here.

John813

Reaction score
In open space, head on, I feel Heath locks up and can't purse laterally if the runner shifts. Down low, where the runner doesn't have much wiggle room Heath can make the stop(usually with the shoulder). And of course he's ok tackling from behind as he does have a good 2nd gear.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's another thing that goes on at CZ. Why are you assuming it's his mom's basement? What if he's a squatter and has use of a whole house? Sure, maybe there's no "legal" electricity but maybe there's just enough to plug in a laptop, modem and siphon someone's WiFi to allow him to be here.

Plus, some people have awesome basements.

A college buddy came from money and he has a sweet house. I'd want to live in his basement if I could - full kitchen, ridiculous bar that he purchased from an old Irish bar that was being demolished and had rebuilt in his basement, etc. It's nicer than my entire house. LOL.