Kam Wimbley

dwmyers

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
. Wanted Javon Kearse BAD in 99. He went to the Oilers a couple of picks before ours and we ended up with Ek.

Patrick Kerney was available at our pick, but I guess he was "too slow" for us. Silverbear was talking about us trading down and getting Kerney then, he was high on the guy.

I'll also note the best DL from that draft was probably Booger McFarland (and we could have used him then).

Finally, Ek is living example #1 why you shouldn't pay too much attention to measurables. I bet he can run past QBs as fast as he ever did..

David.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Rack said:
Actually I'm pretty sure the team also wanted those players. I know they wanted Gonzo. Pretty sure they wanted Brackens. Not sure on Kearse though.

Maybe it's me, but I would have taken McFarland before Kearse.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
Patrick Kerney was available at our pick, but I guess he was "too slow" for us. Silverbear was talking about us trading down and getting Kerney then, he was high on the guy.

I'll also note the best DL from that draft was probably Booger McFarland (and we could have used him then).

Finally, Ek is living example #1 why you shouldn't pay too much attention to measurables. I bet he can run past QBs as fast as he ever did..

David.

Yeah, I liked Kerney a lot as well. Virginia if memory serves. He was unbelievable. All day motor on that guy. McFarland is another one out of LSU. All these guys were good players but I wanted Kearse most of all in that draft. I watched him destroy a very tough SEC and we needed an edge rusher in the worst way. I never really like the Ek pick. Most probably share that sentimant but for a period of time there, it was awful hard to be a fan of the Cowboys. Just no direction at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
I still say book smarts don't help a football player learn. It's a good indication of a person with a good head on their shoulders, but it's not gonna help on the football field.

Book smarts = ability to learn something from reading/writing and apply it to something via reading/writing.

Football smarts = ability to learn things physical. Like how to take on a blocker on a trap block, how to use your hands on a swim move, and even non-physical things like reading play action, reading a draw, reading a 3-stop drop vs a 5 step drop, etc....

Book smarts will help learning alignment and coverage responsibilities and stuff like that, but you don't have to be an engineer major to learn that stuff. In fact, you'd have to be pretty dumb to not figure that out.

Either way, saying that he has an engineering degree will help turn him into a smart football player is a reach, at best. And an engineering degree is gonna do nothing for a player's instincts.
Throw the "I" word in that equasion too. *Instincts*.. If you don't have the instincts for this game, with the speed in which things happen on the field, and the guts and fearlessness to concentrate when you are over powered or intimidated, I don't care how smart you are in the class room, you won't make it.

I'm like a lot of people on this board. 1 day, I want Lawson, the next day I want Wimbley, and then the next, I like Carpenter...

I'll still say that, the aggression that Carpenter showed on the field on the clips, I just can't seem to get that out of my mind. That mean, that determination to destroy anything with a football in his hands, I like stuff like that.

On the other hand, I think Wimbley has some of that too, and he is very powerful at the point of attack, as is Carpenter. I see Lawson leading the league in Sacks/loss of yards, and batted down balls.

Hard to choose..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Throw the "I" word in that equasion too. *Instincts*.. If you don't have the instincts for this game, with the speed in which things happen on the field, and the guts and fearlessness to concentrate when you are over powered or intimidated, I don't care how smart you are in the class room, you won't make it.

I'm like a lot of people on this board. 1 day, I want Lawson, the next day I want Wimbley, and then the next, I like Carpenter...

I'll still say that, the aggression that Carpenter showed on the field on the clips, I just can't seem to get that out of my mind. That mean, that determination to destroy anything with a football in his hands, I like stuff like that.

On the other hand, I think Wimbley has some of that too, and he is very powerful at the point of attack, as is Carpenter. I see Lawson leading the league in Sacks/loss of yards, and batted down balls.

Hard to choose..

I agree with the part about Wimbley. Very aggressive. The dude looks f'in mean. And that's a good thing.

I disagree with the Lawson part. I can see him getting a lot of sacks, but I don't think he'll ever lead the NFL in that department. Speed rushers rarely ever do.

And for those that want to bring up Freeney, just cuz he's fast doesn't mean he's just a speed rusher. That guy is a bonafide PASS rusher. He's not a one trick pony.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Have liked what I have seen of Wimbley since the combine, has he played standing up - or was he strictly a D-lineman with his hand on the ground?
Meaning, does he have a learning curve at OLB in the pros.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Have liked what I have seen of Wimbley since the combine, has he played standing up - or was he strictly a D-lineman with his hand on the ground?
Meaning, does he have a learning curve at OLB in the pros.

He was mainly a DE. But he's better suited to be a SOLB in the pros then Lawson. I believe he'd pick up the position quicker/better then Lawson.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Rack said:
He was mainly a DE. But he's better suited to be a SOLB in the pros then Lawson. I believe he'd pick up the position quicker/better then Lawson.

I have Wimbley and Carpenter rated about equal, with Lawson just behind those 2.Just makes 2 much sence that at 18, OLB must/should be our choice.
However, that is why we have Ireland and why us fans surport what he has done so far, whichever player he selects will be fine with me...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
I have Wimbley and Carpenter rated about equal, with Lawson just behind those 2.Just makes 2 much sence that at 18, OLB must/should be our choice.
However, that is why we have Ireland and why us fans surport what he has done so far, whichever player he selects will be fine with me...

Well it won't be Ireland making the picks, but I agree. Whichever player we choose will be fine with me.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I remember that. There was a series of year there when we just couldn't seem to get it done. Wanted Brackens in 96, he was taken by the Jags a couple of spots earlier. Ended up with Pittman. Wanted Gonzales in 97 but couldn't do anything to move up and get him. Ended up with LaFluer. The world wanted Moss and we took Ellis in 98. Wanted Javon Kearse BAD in 99. He went to the Oilers a couple of picks before ours and we ended up with Ek. Then came the wasted pick years for the Galloway trade and it just was like 10 years of utter frustration.

Glad it's over.

Which is exactly why I think we need to get proactive and go get who we like. If we think all three are about equal... then stay put. However, if we really like one guy much more, then we need to try to make it happen... like we did with Emmitt when we moved from 21 (I think) to 17 to get him.

Say we really love Wimbley (gonzales, Kearse, Brakens) but we like Carpenter and Lawson (LaFleur, Pittman, Ekuban)... then we need to do what it takes to get Wimbley. I don't want to settle here, and if they love one guy, then get him. I know it isn't a popular view, but I think a move up to get a player that Parcells and Ireland think will be special is a good idea.

With Ekuban, Pittman, etc. you can see what "settling" will get you. We wanted McGuinest but settled for Shante Carver. i don't want that again.

Not saying two of the three guys will suck... but if we really like one guy, go get him. To hell with a third round pick.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I remember that. There was a series of year there when we just couldn't seem to get it done. Wanted Brackens in 96, he was taken by the Jags a couple of spots earlier. Ended up with Pittman. Wanted Gonzales in 97 but couldn't do anything to move up and get him. Ended up with LaFluer. The world wanted Moss and we took Ellis in 98. Wanted Javon Kearse BAD in 99. He went to the Oilers a couple of picks before ours and we ended up with Ek. Then came the wasted pick years for the Galloway trade and it just was like 10 years of utter frustration.

Glad it's over.

Yeah, if I remember correctly Jerry already had a trade worked out with a prospective team and the Patriots took McGinnest with the pick right before.

Also to throw in that mix Larry Lacewell was reportedly in love with his beloved Volunteer Leonard Little and we were trying to trade up to get him, but we couldn't find a trading partner and we didn't have a 3rd rounder that year because we wasted it trading up for LeFleur the year before. Also, I'm sure you've seen the NFL Network commercial where Joey Porter talks about how Jerry told him he would be a Cowboy if he was there with their pick in the 3rd round. Jerry even took his family out to dinner the night before the draft and brought them a much of Cowboy merch. We took Dat with that pick instead. The list of guys who we could've/should've from the late 90's had reads like a who's who of NFL All Pros.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys said they would take Porter in the second round and instead took OT Solomon Page. Porter was drafted by the Steelers before Dallas took Nguyen.

ddh33

Reaction score
As of this moment, I've got them rated:
Wimbley
Carpenter
Lawson

montgod

Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
F164246.jpg

Dude....is this the model that Under Armour used on the manikin you see in all the sports stores? Dang... :)

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Rack said:
Well it won't be Ireland making the picks, but I agree. Whichever player we choose will be fine with me.

I think its good we can mostly all agree, that the draft is in good hands.
We may think we know, who the best pick would be, but who had D.Ware any near the top of the first round??......... NOBODY!.... until Dallas really started showing interest.

I wonder, if we would've passed on Ware, how far would he have fallen?
Parcells said, he didn't think he would've made it to 20, but still I wonder.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
cowboyuptx said:
I think its good we can mostly all agree, that the draft is in good hands.
We may think we know, who the best pick would be, but who had D.Ware any near the top of the first round??......... NOBODY!.... until Dallas really started showing interest.

I wonder, if we would've passed on Ware, how far would he have fallen?
Parcells said, he didn't think he would've made it to 20, but still I wonder.

If we had taken Merriman, he would have fallen exactly 1 slot to the Chargers. It was clear that the Chargers were going to take whichever one we did not choose. I was just surprised that Johnson fell so low (I believe to pick #15 KC) when he was supposedly a top 5 talent and the best defensive player in the draft. Maybe Williams or Hawk will fall this year.