Twitter: KC: Dak must reach playoffs consistently if he's paid premium QB money

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, Dak-stans usually talk about 13-3 as a modicum of success, but 2017 completely exposed it as schematics and Linehan. All teams did was started doubling Beasley in 2017 and Dak was a disaster when they tried throwing the ball. This idea that Dak was actually held back by Linehan is an absurd myth.

Here is 2016 and what Linehan was doing:

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ason-witten-to-make-cole-beasley-unguardable/
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ason-witten-to-make-cole-beasley-unguardable/
One of the main criticisms leveled at the Cowboys’ offensive coaching staff is their lack of creativity and predictable playcalling. However execution failures, not play design, are usually the reason plays aren’t successful. Against the Chicago Bears, Dallas offensive coordinator Scott Linehan added an interesting wrinkle by repeatedly pairing Cole Beasley and Jason Witten for consistent production...

...This motion was used multiple times throughout the night and it provides two key advantages. The first is it allows rookie quarterback, Dak Prescott, and easy way to see if the defense is in man or zone if the cornerback follows Beasley across the formation. The second is that it guarantees Beasley a free release into his route.

Here is 2017 and what defenses started doing:

In 2017, Beasley was bracketed, sat on, and otherwise eliminated in the passing game. Opponenets keyed on his out-breaking routes and planted defenders accordingly. Cole Beasley saw more second-man attention than Dez Bryant last season (Dez technically appeared to get more double-teams but Cole clearly commanded more attention).

https://sportdfw.com/2018/05/20/cowboys-bounce-back-season-real-problem-cole-beasley/

Then Dez became the scapegoat and he wa supposedly the reason for Dak trying to ‘force the ball to him’, instead of spreading it around.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m not sure why fans have a problem with Dak attempting to optimize his contract. This might be the only big deal he signs in his career. I’d be recommending him not to play for less than the Franchise Tag.

Agents always use what the market is in Franchise QB not just Elite QB which the latter is really more of a term the fans and media use not FO.

And the current market for Franchise QB is 40 million. 35 million was last year. And in a couple more years will prob be closer to 50 million.

You think that he's only going to play football for 4 more seasons, really?

Who has signed a 40 mil deal this year? I don't think any QB has signed a new contract this off season so I don't know how anybody would know what the market is, at this point.

Lastly, I agree. I think Dak should go find the deal he wants to sign for. Help the team in a good trade to get to the contract he wants. I believe that.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Dak, should take whatever the Dallas Cowboys are willing to give him. He understands his worth to the team, and he knows his place among current QBs. It is not his job to strategize the CAP; neither should he worry about the teams ability to draft or pick up players. The organization, has a responsibility to pay, draft, and acquire assets, as they see fit.

You could call this “The Cousins Method.”
As long as you just say No, you get paid at Elite QB market level. And it will happen within 3 yrs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So the Tag as I’ve so aptly clowned our insecure friend from Houston in pointing out is 37.5 million.
That’s the low end of what DAL has to start at in Taks 1st year. His agent will not accept a penny less cause he knows they either have to tag him and he gets 37.5 million (for the folks in Houston) FULLY GUARANTEED FOR ONE YEAR, or DAL has to trade him and he gets it with his new team. Even if they can trade him.
DAL has a meager 27 MIL today up against the cap. Even if they dump the 20 UFA scrubs they will have to work extremely hard to not only just get Tak to the tag, but sign him to a long term deal. And that’s not taking into account you have to then fill out the roster since you just lost 20 players to just get Tak to his tag.
I think it’s actually 37.7 but it doesn’t matter. I agree . I can’t imagine any offers less than the Tag. And why I look for it to be closer to 40.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And Dak-stans were sitting here saying Dak ‘made Beasley’ and that Cole was washed, while Josh Allen is sitting here getting Beasley on Edelman-Brady levels every since he’s set foot in Buffalo.

Everybody and their mother has been scapegoated for Dak.

https://www.radio.com/971theticket/cole-beasley-ranks-atop-nfl-in-impressive-advanced-statistic
beasley has Diggs on the team, getting all the attention given he has 1535 yards leading the NFL.....Beasley is 21st in recieving...

2019 - edleman was 5th.....he was the leading reciever on his team, Beasley 37th...without Diggs...

in 2018, before Cooper he averaged 38/gm after cooper he averaged almost 46/gm...

clearly he needs help to lift him, the bigger the help the more he benefits...

khiladi

Reaction score
beasley has Diggs on the team, getting all the attention given he has 1535 yards leading the NFL.....Beasley is 21st in recieving...

2019 - edleman was 5th.....he was the leading reciever on his team, Beasley 37th...without Diggs...

in 2018, before Cooper he averaged 38/gm after cooper he averaged almost 46/gm...

clearly he needs help to lift him, the bigger the help the more he benefits...

Beasley had Dez and Witten in 2016 and 2017, same exact scenario. One season per Dak stans he makes Beasley, the next season it’s Cole’s fault for catching only 37 passes. Dak-stans are so predictable with their excuses.

If you noticed, I posted a stat about efficiency. I didn’t say Beasley is playing like Edelman with Brady in his best season, I said he’s playing like Edelman with Brady which is a very long career.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You think that he's only going to play football for 4 more seasons, really?

Who has signed a 40 mil deal this year? I don't think any QB has signed a new contract this off season so I don't know how anybody would know what the market is, at this point.

Lastly, I agree. I think Dak should go find the deal he wants to sign for. Help the team in a good trade to get to the contract he wants. I believe that.
Watson 4 year extension deal is basically 40 million. 39 Something . Which I think there’s a good argument Dak is similar level as Watson. And Mahomes deal is about 40 a year also . That’s the new bar.

And I’m not saying he won’t play longer than this contract but the 2nd contract or 1st after Rookie deal is where most hit it big. It’s the 3rd contract, etc where guys may opt to be more team friendly.

I think it’s up to Jethro to make Dak an offer he can’t refuse or be prepared for him to walk. Which I’m not against . Just saying this is a defining moment to see how much our FO is actually sold on him. If they are then they will Anty Up!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And Dak-stans were sitting here saying Dak ‘made Beasley’ and that Cole was washed, while Josh Allen is sitting here getting Beasley on Edelman-Brady levels every since he’s set foot in Buffalo.

Everybody and their mother has been scapegoated for Dak.

https://www.radio.com/971theticket/cole-beasley-ranks-atop-nfl-in-impressive-advanced-statistic

There seems to be a mix up in QB play versus playcalling. The BILLS, are utilizing Beasley correctly. The COWBOYS, used him incorrectly. Cooper, has been doing better in Dallas; is it Dak being a better QB than Carr, or the playcalling?

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
I think it’s actually 37.7 but it doesn’t matter. I agree . I can’t imagine any offers less than the Tag. And why I look for it to be closer to 40.

We were rounding off. And no, it doesn’t matter.
Tak is getting paid. One way or the other.
I doubt it’s in Dallas.

khiladi

Reaction score
There seems to be a mix up in QB play versus playcalling. The BILLS, are utilizing Beasley correctly. The COWBOYS, used him incorrectly. Cooper, has been doing better in Dallas; is it Dak being a better QB than Carr, or the playcalling?

Did you read my post on the actual play calling between 2016 and 2017 with the Cowboys? Who exactly claims that Dak made Beasley? If he made Beasley, why couldn’t he do the same thing in 2017?

Did you see Amari’s first two years with the Raiders? Are you saying he needed Dak to produce those numbers?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Watson 4 year extension deal is basically 40 million. 39 Something . Which I think there’s a good argument Dak is similar level as Watson. And Mahomes deal is about 40 a year also . That’s the new bar.

And I’m not saying he won’t play longer than this contract but the 2nd contract or 1st after Rookie deal is where most hit it big. It’s the 3rd contract, etc where guys may opt to be more team friendly.

I think it’s up to Jethro to make Dak an offer he can’t refuse or be prepared for him to walk. Which I’m not against . Just saying this is a defining moment to see how much our FO is actually sold on him. If they are then they will Anty Up!

That wasn't done this year and it's not 40, as you know. You said this year, which is 2021. We don't know what contracts are going to look like this year because we haven't seen one yet.

You said, this could be his last contract, I thought?

I think the opinion you voice here is inaccurate. Fans think that any contract can be done. I don't agree with that. The money does run out and I just don't think the team has 40 AAY to spend on QB. That's just my opinion.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
That wasn't done this year and it's not 40, as you know. You said this year, which is 2021. We don't know what contracts are going to look like this year because we haven't seen one yet.

You said, this could be his last contract, I thought?

I think the opinion you voice here is inaccurate. Fans think that any contract can be done. I don't agree with that. The money does run out and I just don't think the team has 40 AAY to spend on QB. That's just my opinion.

Your right. DAL is close to broke right now. They are 27 MIL up against the cap today and fans here have no real options other than weak excuses such as “Oh, the cap will go up and DAL will have 1 Billion dollars!!.” Or “Other players will redo their contracts so they can take less, get screwed by Jerry later to make another player happy!!”
This on top of sucking and having no depth except at WR. LOL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Beasley had Dez and Witten in 2016 and 2017, same exact scenario. One season per Dak stans he makes Beasley, the next season it’s Cole’s fault for catching only 37 passes. Dak-stans are so predictable with their excuses.

If you noticed, I posted a stat about efficiency. I didn’t say Beasley is playing like Edelman with Brady in his best season, I said he’s playing like Edelman with Brady which is a very long career.
Dez? a washed up injured dez that was let go subsequently..

I won't even respond to your witten comment.....seriously...witten!!! one of my all time favorites, but Witten was done in 2016. hung on for another couple of years given his competitiveness...

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
This isn't a one man show like the NBA can be. And even they have to play defense eventually to win:facepalm: Yea. Dak needs to play well. But so does the rest of the team, Ask Mahomes!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't a one man show like the NBA can be. And even they have to play defense eventually to win:facepalm: Yea. Dak needs to play well. But so does the rest of the team, Ask Mahomes!
Mahomes was almost as happy about Chris Jones' deal as his own.

You can bet Rodgers thinks LaFleur's best move was getting them to sign Preston and Zadarius Smith. They were the main reason they made the NFCCG last year.

Praxit

Reaction score
..that's like asking a poor man to open a savings account. Or the gambler to keep betting, knowing the house always wins.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We would have made the playoffs this year with Prescott, which would have put him in the playoffs 3/5 years as a starter.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Dak has never had elite money. Come to think of it, at 2 million per season over his first 4 years he has to be one of the biggest bargains in the NFL during that time.

I dont recall you ever talking about that.
You are giving him too much over the 1st 4 years. He made 4.9m total over the 1st 4 years for 1.2m a season. Lol Didnt make 2m a season until his last year of his rookie deal.